Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A show called Blacke's Magic, about a magician who was also a detective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

branie2 wrote: »

Funnily enough I remember this. Some middle aged bloke with a 'tache doing magic & solving crimes. Auld lad from MASH was his Dad IIRC.

Only thought of it when you posted this. Must have been a short lived affair.

I liked detective shows of that era. The '70s stuff was great, but I was too young to get what was really going on in them. (liked the car chases though)

My fave was Magnum PI. I was a teen then & got most of what was going on.

Top show.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why?

Because it was "for them continental quare ones" and it was "gay"

Sure we washed under the dribbly shower hose once a week whether we needed it or not, none of that splashing cologne all over you and fragrances are for girls and quares.

My parents swore by Lifebuoy soap for themselves, but we got stuff which didn't slough the skin off. I suppose we were brought up soft.

There was a Hai Karate gift set ("Be careful how you use it") which was gifted and re-gifted around the extended family so many times in the late 70s as a joke. Nobody would dream of actually using it.

The nearest thing to fragrance my dad got to was his Old Spice shaving soap mug. When he got a gift of the Old Spice "fragrance" bottle he always gave it away. (his true "fragrance" was that of the bowel of the daily Guinness drinker)

Life ain't always empty.

Just remembered 'The Magician' with Bill Bixby in his pre-Hulk days. '70s show that I remember on the telly.

Too young at the time to recall anything else about it.

Must Wiki it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Funnily enough I remember this. Some middle aged bloke with a 'tache doing magic & solving crimes. Auld lad from MASH was his Dad IIRC.

Only thought of it when you posted this. Must have been a short lived affair.

I liked detective shows of that era. The '70s stuff was great, but I was too young to get what was really going on in them. (liked the car chases though)

My fave was Magnum PI. I was a teen then & got most of what was going on.

Top show.

The actor who played Higgins in Magnum died last year and they showed an episode where he got a bang on the head or something and spent the entire episode wandering about the estate quoting passages from Shakespeare. It was brilliantly bonkers. Magnum was a bit of a joke figure with his tache and his “hi guys” but I liked it, there were far worse things on the box round that time.

• Advertisement

The Man From Atlantis on RTE2 on Saturdays. Every F**king time without fail, they had a water safety lecture afterwards, as if we were that thick to think that watching a TV show would make us think we had gills. It was crap and only lasted one series. Its star, Patrick Duffy later went on to TV oblivion in some little known show called Dallas.

The Gemini Man, that was a lot better, he had a cool digital watch and press a button and become invisible :p but that only lasted one series as well.

Six Million Dollar Man was cool, Bionic Woman was... not really cool but something to watch when $6m wasn't on, The Fall Guy came along later but it wasn't great.

Space 1999... now that was what the future was supposed to look like. We're living in that future now and apart from having massive cheap computer power at our fingertips it's a bit crap, frankly.

Life ain't always empty.

The Man From Atlantis on RTE2 on Saturdays. Every F**king time without fail, they had a water safety lecture afterwards, as if we were that thick to think that watching a TV show would make us think we had gills. It was crap and only lasted one series. Its star, Patrick Duffy later went on to TV oblivion in some little known show called Dallas.

The Gemini Man, that was a lot better, he had a cool digital watch and press a button and become invisible :p

Man from Atlantis. Yes I remember this. The school sent us on swimming lessons at this time.

Most of us tried out his way of swimming, with little success.

Gemini Man. Much better that 'The Invisible Man' & all because he had a cool LCD digital watch. God how I wanted one of those!

Hard to believe that such a thing seemed so new & novel at the time!

Hard to believe that such a thing seemed so new & novel at the time!

Ya just needed to go bonkers in Honkers mate :p

The Paul Hogan Show was shown on RTE2 and was way better than his Hollywood movies :p

The last one is good old fashioned slapstick.. a bit racy for RTE but they got away with it... reminiscent of the old Benny Hill Show - but that'll have to await another post!!

Life ain't always empty.

That's a very sanitised 1986 version - think he got the sack that year. Too politically incorrect, but Jimmy Savile was allowed keep his BBC job. Hmmm...

Benny like any great comedian, always played the fool, he wasn't sexist,* he loved women (and in real life may well have died a virgin) but his character was a lovable fool who was scared of women in his own way! That was the joke! Thames TV did him an awful disservice in the late 80s, his shows were not to be taken literally by politically correct humourless people with no sense of humour but that was the end of his career.

* :pac:

It really is from another time!

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Heroin was everywhere but smashed avocado on toast wasn't sold on every second corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Because it was "for them continental quare ones" and it was "gay"

Sure we washed under the dribbly shower hose once a week whether we needed it or not, none of that splashing cologne all over you and fragrances are for girls and quares.

4711 was for girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

If you think Pat Kenny is a square or a plank of wood (as he has been portrayed in more recent times) he had a late night program on RTE radio (none of your Radio 2 then y'know) in the seventies where he was the first to play Sultans Of Swing.
    A bit further back there were two "pop" music programs (yes , just two) on radio in the mid seventies. On Tuesday evenings Larry Gogan had an hour of current pop hits, and on Thursdays there was Ken's Klub (Ken Stewart..whatever happened him?) with a bit more progressive pop.

It was just before Larry Gogan one Tuesday night that Treasa Davison was interrupted on air by a mouse running across the desk. It was recorded for posterity by somebody illegally recording Larry's program who sent the tape to RTE.

For radio historians, Treasa was on continuity that night, which was then still being done from the GPO in Henry Street. The final move of radio to Donnybrook was not complete by the mid seventies.

The RTE testcard which ran until closedown came to end in 1997

hqdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Loved loved loved Kenny Everett as a kid. My mum loved him as well too.
    Some superb comedy back in the 80s. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The Gemini Man, that was a lot better, he had a cool digital watch and press a button and become invisible :p but that only lasted one series as well.

Six Million Dollar Man was cool, Bionic Woman was... not really cool but something to watch when $6m wasn't on, The Fall Guy came along later but it wasn't great.

Space 1999... now that was what the future was supposed to look like. We're living in that future now and apart from having massive cheap computer power at our fingertips it's a bit crap, frankly.

Manimal.

And Automan. A show which when you look back at it had horrible special effects.

Honourable mention to the greatest american hero. Which was actually loads of fun and deserved more seasons than it got.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

double post

The RTE testcard which ran until closedown came to end in 1997

hqdefault.jpg

that's the Philips PM5544 test card, a favourite of the analogue days

edit: and it just says "RTE" so it's pre-1978, after that it said "RTE1" or "RTE2"

RTE were using this electronically generated test card when the BBC were still pointing a camera at a bit of cardboard.

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Anyone remember this?

463561.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Anyone remember this?

463561.jpg

Nope. But it did remind me of a weekly (I think) magazine called 'Our Boys'. It was a kind of 'Ireland's Own' for young fellas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Nope. But it did remind me of a weekly (I think) magazine called 'Our Boys'. It was a kind of 'Ireland's Own' for young fellas.

I remember that. Think it was produced by the Jesuits or some religious order. Pudsy Ryan is the only section that I clearly recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

that's the Philips PM5544 test card, a favourite of the analogue days

edit: and it just says "RTE" so it's pre-1978, after that it said "RTE1" or "RTE2"

RTE were using this electronically generated test card when the BBC were still pointing a camera at a bit of cardboard.

Would someone mind explaining a test card?

To thine own self be true

Used when broadcasts were finished for the night, and and before broadcast in the daytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

"Our Boys" was the Christian Brothers magazine.

The test card was used to setup and check the performance of a television.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Went to a CBS primary and got Our Boys every month. Was printed on a glossy paper. Wholesome stuff.

The Bionic Woman, spin-off from the Six Million Dollar Man
    Galactica 1980, mini-series sequel to Battlestar Galactica, showing the Galactica arriving at Earth, and it was infamous for the flying motorbikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

The dog collection in kellogs cornflakes boxes. Later the animal head cutouts on the back of the box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

My smart tv (LG) still has a test card, you can get it under settings. I suppose many TVs do. As to what it’s testing, probably how the colours saturate or bleed into each other ( they shouldn’t) and how focussed everything is in the black and white parts. It’s for the TV user.

Advertisement