Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Six Million Dollar Man - aired between January 1974 and April 1978. Great show! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Lynda Carter looked fantastic. I enjoyed it at the time but when I revisited it on DVD, it didn't stand up.

On the other hand, I could watch The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman all day.

Used to watch The Six Million Dollar Man but at some stage my head was turned by Charlie's Angels

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Alias Smith & Jones - two train robbers who want amnesty for their crimes, but have to stay on the right side of the law until they get it.

Anyone here remember a fashion boutique in Dublin in the 1980s called Lucia? At one point there were anout 5 of them in Dublin. They were owned and managed ny a German lady called Marianne.

She and her husband Hans were neighbours and good friends of my mum and dad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

branie2 wrote: »
    Alias Smith & Jones - two train robbers who want amnesty for their crimes, but have to stay on the right side of the law until they get it.

Shown around the same time was the Bearcat's, about two guys in a souped up vintage car having adventures on the Tex/Mex border circa 1920's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Six Million Dollar Man - aired between January 1974 and April 1978. Great show! :)

Now yer talkin!

I had the action figure. The skin peeled back on the arm to reveal the mechanical bits I'd say my Dad did 4 weeks overtime to afford it.

My name is Rashers see?

I've had these flashes, see?

About the natural taste of bacon like it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I remember a news report about the time vandals broke into it and wrecked the place. It showed the wax figure of Margaret Thatcher with a sword stuck through her head.

Was lurking & I just had to google that + dug this video up.
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0501/698083-wax-museum-vandalised/

I have to admit I LOLed (feel a bit bad now...:pac:)
    Wax museum always gave me a severe case of the creeps, alot of the waxworks were terrible + deep in uncanny valley territory.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Was lurking & I just had to google that + dug this video up.
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0501/698083-wax-museum-vandalised/

I have to admit I LOLed (feel a bit bad now...:pac:)
    Wax museum always gave me a severe case of the creeps, alot of the waxworks were terrible + deep in uncanny valley territory.

Yes, that's the news report that I remember seeing. The year on that link has to be wrong though, it was a good bit later than 1980. I'd estimate about 1985/86.

Edit: it was 1985. Its mentioned here.

https://superannrte.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4675:rte-archives-27th-april-3-may-2015&catid=8&Itemid=115

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭ Ayan Unkempt Absinthe

Yes, that's the news report that I remember seeing. The year on that link has to be wrong though, it was a good bit later than 1980. I'd estimate about 1985/86.

It's definitely not May 1980 as the date claims. It features waxworks of Prince Charles arm in arm with Princess Diana, and the two of them were only rumored to be dating at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Edit: it was 1985. Its mentioned here.

https://superannrte.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4675:rte-archives-27th-april-3-may-2015&catid=8&Itemid=115

Thanks for that. Poor old RTE, getting it wrong again!

It's definitely not May 1980 as the date claims. It features waxworks of Prince Charles arm in arm with Princess Diana, and the two of them were only rumored to be dating at that time.

I have better memories of that place being a Cinema - The Plaza - called The Dorset before that. I did a full on combo of visiting it as the wax works museum and then down to the moving crib in Parnell Square in the mid 90s. Had grub in the Kingfisher after that. Reading what I just typed looks fooked up as so much has changed, Different days.

Family Album, in the 80s, was my introduction to the bikini.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

branie2 wrote: »
    Family Album, in the 80s, was my introduction to the bikini.

Pics?
    Asking for a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭pawdee

Shtamp out scour!

Air Wolf - as an 11 year old lad in the 80s I thought this show was the bees’ knees!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

pawdee wrote: »
    Shtamp out scour!
    TB shpreadin' to MY land is MY buishness!

Speaking of ads about scour etc this one used to creep the sh!te of me.

https://ifiplayer.ie/dictol-oral-husk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Also remember this one... apologies if it’s been posted before..

https://youtu.be/5m_IjyG8jpE

Can’t embed on phone still! Sorry!

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Air Wolf - as an 11 year old lad in the 80s I thought this show was the bees’ knees!

Feckin great Soundtrack. Saturday morning/lunchtime. Loved it and the subsequent video game in arcades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

twirlagig wrote: »
    Also remember this one... apologies if it’s been posted before..

https://youtu.be/5m_IjyG8jpE

Can’t embed on phone still! Sorry!

Harry Molloy from Fair City! (Paul Raynor)

Pics?
    Asking for a friend

Sorry, none I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Heroditas

pawdee wrote: »
    Shtamp out scour!

Remember the Triple A Golden Maverick ad with the cowboys playing poker?

How about Net Nitrate, Net Urea.
    "Spread the Net, you won't regret
    Great silage you'll be storing
    Go straight to Net, you won't forget
    Net Nitrate, Net Urea"

I used to have a giggle at the really crap bit in this where the digger hits the power line. Like something from Captain Pugwash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I used to have a giggle at the really crap bit in this where the digger hits the power line. Like something from Captain Pugwash.

The "Farmers" in those ads looked like film stars in comparison to actual farmers at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

One of my memories is one of the Bosco presenters, I think it was Grainne, wearing a tight t-shirt with no bra and me as a young fella getting very strange feelings in my willie - and not knowing why ... ahhhh innocent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭6541

I always remember been wet. Wet shoes, socks, Wet clothes - maybe that is because we didn't have a bean and walked everywhere. Taxi's never heard of such things. Ah sure its only a shower and you only have two miles to walk home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

6541 wrote: »
    I always remember been wet. Wet shoes, socks, Wet clothes - maybe that is because we didn't have a bean and walked everywhere. Taxi's never heard of such things. Ah sure its only a shower and you only have two miles to walk home.
    The joy of sitting all day in an unheated school in your wet clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭6541

Its mad to think of that now - in fact sitting around soaked is so alien now, it was frigging normal back in the day. Gangs of drenched kids, its actually kind of funny when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

6541 wrote: »

Its mad to think of that now - in fact sitting around soaked is so alien now, it was frigging normal back in the day. Gangs of drenched kids, its actually kind of funny when you think about it.
    The smell of wet wool and unwashed teenagers.

Advertisement