Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dave Keating - Killarney

• 17-09-2018 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Sad to hear that David Keating, the Pro in Killarney is finishing up in the club next month after nearly 12 years there.

No firm word yet on any potential replacement

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

The club will struggle to replace him with the package that is on offer
    Courses are in poor condition and a major drop off in green fees

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pat Joe Whelehan

Very disappointing news for Killarney. One of the best. He would be a big addition to any club. Does anyone know where is is moving to?

Very disappointing news for Killarney. One of the best. He would be a big addition to any club. Does anyone know where is is moving to?

Not really sure what any pro brings in terms of value to a club.
    They get paid a retainer by the club to run a shop in most cases for their own benefit financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

golfguy1 wrote: »
    They get paid a retainer by the club to run a shop in most cases for their own benefit financially.

It would be highly unusual for a big club to not have a club pro though

Benildus wrote: »
    It would be highly unusual for a big club to not have a club pro though

Unusual maybe.
    But I can see many clubs in the future not have club pros costing them money when it is so difficult financially for clubs, killarney might be a "big" club but not exactly a well off club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Here's one of many, golfers who are improving and enjoying their golf don't stop playing and give up their membership. A professional gives lessons to help golfers improve.

Professional golfers help golfers enjoy their game more. Clubs really need to use their professionals much more.

As for your second point, are you suggesting that a professional running a shop should run it at a loss?

Here's one of many, golfers who are improving and enjoying their golf don't stop playing and give up their membership. A professional gives lessons to help golfers improve.

Professional golfers help golfers enjoy their game more. Clubs really need to use their professionals much more.

As for your second point, are you suggesting that a professional running a shop should run it at a loss?

My point is not that pros don't serve a purpose.
    Of course they are available to teach golf to the members.
    But why should a golf pro be paid €15000-€70000 retainer in some cases.
    As for pros running shop at a loss I never suggested that. Of course they need to be profitable.
    I just don't see a benefit to a golf club in paying a pro. I personally would like to see the money in killarney golf club going into the course and let the pro fend for himself In the shop along side his teaching income

My point is not that pros don't serve a purpose.
    Of course they are available to teach golf to the members.
    But why should a golf pro be paid €15000-€70000 retainer in some cases.
    As for pros running shop at a loss I never suggested that. Of course they need to be profitable.
    I just don't see a benefit to a golf club in paying a pro. I personally would like to see the money in killarney golf club going into the course and let the pro fend for himself In the shop along side his teaching income

Let's have a quick look at the services a professional brings to a club

Advice on all aspects of the game, lessons to members, club teams, juniors etc, knowledge on rules etc, marketing, member retention and recruitment, running tee sheets, competitions and more.

Now, if you expect this service should be given free, then you should expect everyone to work for free. I don't see accountants getting up at 6 on weekend mornings to work and I don't see them working for free either.

Imagine volunteers at a club had to do all the work that the pro does?

It is not possible to do all this work for a club without a retainer, most of the pro's time is given to club duties and not retailing or teaching. Any pro not getting a retainer will go broke very quickly.

Do clubs not want the people working in their clubs to be successful? Would you prefer your pro to be driving in the car park in a beat up 10 year old ford fiesta or that they are really good at what they do and are financially successful

Let's have a quick look at the services a professional brings to a club

Advice on all aspects of the game, lessons to members, club teams, juniors etc, knowledge on rules etc, marketing, member retention and recruitment, running tee sheets, competitions and more.

Now, if you expect this service should be given free, then you should expect everyone to work for free. I don't see accountants getting up at 6 on weekend mornings to work and I don't see them working for free either.

Imagine volunteers at a club had to do all the work that the pro does?

It is not possible to do all this work for a club without a retainer, most of the pro's time is given to club duties and not retailing or teaching. Any pro not getting a retainer will go broke very quickly.

Do clubs not want the people working in their clubs to be successful? Would you prefer your pro to be driving in the car park in a beat up 10 year old ford fiesta or that they are really good at what they do and are financially

Club pros at most clubs do as u mentioned. But u must also realise they have a premises given to them usually rent/rates/elec free of charge which I imagine would be the equivalent of €15000 upwards.
    When u add these benefits to a retainer they are hugely rewarded.

No other staff ie greenkeeper,bar, sec manager get extra benefits on top of their wage.

Club pros at most clubs do as u mentioned. But u must also realise they have a premises given to them usually rent/rates/elec free of charge which I imagine would be the equivalent of €15000 upwards.
    When u add these benefits to a retainer they are hugely rewarded.

No other staff ie greenkeeper,bar, sec manager get extra benefits on top of their wage.

The greenkeeper doesn't pay his staff from his earnings, neither does the bar manager and certainly the manager doesn't either.

The pro has staff to pay.

15,000 is 300 a week, most pros work 70-80 hours a week, would you get up at 5 or 6 on weekend mornings to run a competition for 3.50 an hour?

• Advertisement

The greenkeeper doesn't pay his staff from his earnings, neither does the bar manager and certainly the manager doesn't either.

The pro has staff to pay.

15,000 is 300 a week, most pros work 70-80 hours a week, would you get up at 5 or 6 on weekend mornings to run a competition for 3.50 an hour?

Lots of retailers work 6 days a week but nobody gives them rent and bills free premises plus a retainer on top of what they make in profit every yr.
    Also remember they earn €20-€50 an hr from lessons.
    Just my opinion but that seems an excessively good deal for golf clubs that are struggling to break even every yr

Lots of retailers work 6 days a week but nobody gives them rent and bills free premises plus a retainer on top of what they make in profit every yr.
    Also remember they earn €20-€50 an hr from lessons.
    Just my opinion but that seems an excessively good deal for golf clubs that are struggling to break even every yr

The retailers you talk about, don't have to look after the first tee, run competitions, greet members and visitors, help Mrs. Murphy with her broken caddy car etc. They have all their time to retail.

When pros are teaching they must pay someone else to look after the pro shop.

If the pros are getting such a good deal, why is David Keating leaving Killarney?

The retailers you talk about, don't have to look after the first tee, run competitions, greet members and visitors, help Mrs. Murphy with her broken caddy car etc. They have all their time to retail.

When pros are teaching they must pay someone else to look after the pro shop.

If the pros are getting such a good deal, why is David Keating leaving Killarney?

He and the management committee could not agree a financial package. From what I've heard deal was a fair package for both Dave and the club

He and the management committee could not agree a financial package. From what I've heard deal was a fair package for both Dave and the club

If it was fair to him, why would he leave?

If it was fair to him, why would he leave?

That's a question for him??
    The club is under financial pressure and couldn't afford to maintain his original contract

Anyway, lets hope someone like Dan Sugrue (ex assistant in Killarney under Dave and current Pro in Dooks) would be interested in the position.

Other ex-assistant pros such as Ian Colleran in Newcastlewest could also be tempted

Anyway, lets hope someone like Dan Sugrue (ex assistant in Killarney under Dave and current Pro in Dooks) would be interested in the position.

Other ex-assistant pros such as Ian Colleran in Newcastlewest could also be tempted

Can't see Dan leaving dooks.
    Ian is just settling in at Newcastle west and living closer to his home town so not sure he would be to interested in moving back. I fancy John sure he to get the job.
    Also heard rumour they may not look for a pro and just have staff run the shop with a shop manager.

Can't see Dan leaving dooks.
    Ian is just settling in at Newcastle west and living closer to his home town so not sure he would be to interested in moving back. I fancy John sure he to get the job.
    Also heard rumour they may not look for a pro and just have staff run the shop with a shop manager.

Is Maurice O'Meara still in Dooks or double jobbing with the Kerry Gaa commercial role? Him and Dan are close so it would be a factor

Do you mean John Sugrue? where is he these days?

Is Maurice O'Meara still in Dooks or double jobbing with the Kerry Gaa commercial role? Him and Dan are close so it would be a factor

Do you mean John Sugrue? where is he these days?

Maurice has left dooks. Dooks is a club on the up. Big plans for course development and driving range in the near future.
    Add the above to a very busy green fee (american golf tours). It looks more attractive offer than killarney right now.

Yes meant John sugrue.
    He is assistant pro/caddy master in tralee

A lot of disappointment being voiced by the members about Dave leaving the club and also being very critical of the Management Council's role in it.

• Advertisement

A lot of disappointment being voiced by the members about Dave leaving the club and also being very critical of the Management Council's role in it.

It is very simple, he was offered a financial package to stay on, he turned it down.
    Club simply can't afford to maintain his current contract.
    The council have to do the best for the club with what money is available.
    My main concern would be the courses which are very poor currently.

If that's the case then the management council need to provide an update to members about the current situation - the recent letter regarding Dave leaving said nothing apart from wishing him the best etc etc and the latest newsletter was very short of details about the financial situation.

I believe an EGM should be called.

If that's the case then the management council need to provide an update to members about the current situation - the recent letter regarding Dave leaving said nothing apart from wishing him the best etc etc and the latest newsletter was very short of details about the financial situation.

I believe an EGM should be called.

An EGM because a member of staff left the club?????
    Contract negotiations happen in all jobs and are not always agreed.
    The next pro/shop manager in will do the same job as dk

An EGM because a member of staff left the club?????
    Contract negotiations happen in all jobs and are not always agreed.
    The next pro/shop manager in will do the same job as dk

An EGM because the full state of the financial situation is not being shared with the members and maybe to appoint new members to replace the ones who stood down recently.

It's interesting you say 'Pro/shop manager'..............

It's interesting you say 'Pro/shop manager'..............[/quote]

Why is that interesting as I assume they will look at all options which include taking back ownership of the shop.

As for replacing board members I totally agree that they need to be replaced

An EGM because the full state of the financial situation is not being shared with the members and maybe to appoint new members to replace the ones who stood down recently.

Looks like an egm is becoming a possibility. Some lads going Round looking for signatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,030 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It's interesting you say 'Pro/shop manager'..............

What makes you think that "the full state of the financial situation is not being shared with the members"?
    Just the fact they couldnt reach an agreement?

I presume you have no idea what he was asking for, so not sure why you are jumping to the assumption there is some financial irregularity or things being hidden?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Lots of infighting going on in Killarney G.C. for years I'm told.

Not too sure a full time club pro is needed tbh. Lahinch for example doesn't have one.

Is there a pro in Ballybunion?

p.s. I looked it up. There is.

GreeBo wrote: »
    What makes you think that "the full state of the financial situation is not being shared with the members"?
    Just the fact they couldnt reach an agreement?

I presume you have no idea what he was asking for, so not sure why you are jumping to the assumption there is some financial irregularity or things being hidden?

Nobody mentioned financial regularities regarding the pros contract.
    There definitely is some questions to answer by the council regarding the conditions of the courses which have deteriorated dramatically this yr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,030 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Nobody mentioned financial regularities regarding the pros contract.
    There definitely is some questions to answer by the council regarding the conditions of the courses which have deteriorated dramatically this yr.

tbf I didnt say they did, I asked what makes that poster think there is something being hidden.

Advertisement