Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Administrative Officers 2018 in the Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

bmcb wrote: »
    Like a previous poster I’m only interested in mayo galway roscommon! I wonder is applying for these a waste of time if only interested in those areas. Can anyone shed any light? Thanks

There will be less jobs come up in these area but you are only fighting for the vacancy against the people in your chosen county so you have as much chance as anyone to get it. Its worth applying but bare in mind your placed on a panel so you could be waiting awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 covfefe18

Piglet85 wrote: »
    Interesting. I was successful in this a couple of times but turned down both positions as they were Dublin based. I think on both of those occasions the information booklet had stated that the majority of the jobs would be in Dublin. I don't think there's any mention of that this time (unless I missed it). Makes me wonder if there's a chance that the regional opportunities are increasing, even slightly....

Fairplay! Wondering if you have any tips on the assessment questionnaire...when I have applied in the past that is the section that I've fallen down on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

My understanding is that for AO, jobs outside Dublin are very rare. It's a policy position and that tends to be done in a central location, close to the majority of the department and the key decision makers.

The civil service sections that are devolved outside Dublin are generally standalone sections dealing with very specific processes and operations. Those places need COs, EOs, HEOs and APs, with higher ratios of the lower grades than you'd have in Dublin due to the type of work.

If you're not in, you can't win, but I wouldnt be applying with any real expectations of a non-Dublin job.

Look at the mobility map for your ares, it shows all offices and the number of EOs and COs in the office for different towns/areas. See if any of the offices seem like they woyld have policy stuff going on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Depends really- Defence have their HQ in Newbridge, Ag are big in Portlaoise, Social Welfare have local offices everywhere- and large offices in Carrick-on-Shannon, Letterkenny and Drogheda, CSO and others are in Cork etc etc.

AO posts used to be by and large the remit of the three home Departments of Revenue, Finance and Dept. of the Taoiseach- however, in the last 15 years this distinction has become a lot more blurred- with a significant number of AOs popping up all over the place.

In many cases- AOs and HEOs are now considered to be synonymous with one another- and quite often you'll find AOs with not inconsiderable numbers of staff reporting to them- or working as an office manager- while you'll have HEOs working on significant research and special projects.

The main difference between a HEO and an AO that has remained consistent- is AO is strictly a recruitment grade- whereas HEO is strictly a promotional grade (and indeed- the only remaining grade that is confined to serving civil servants).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

If in the average year 125 AOs were taken on from this type of competition, maybe 5-10 posts could be outside Dublin. Maybe 5, 10 at a real push.

DPER, Finance and Justice would be the major recruiters. Revenue generally do their own thing. Social Protection don't really take AOs off these panels, nor do CSO.

Defence is a small Department and might take on a couple of AOs every 2 or 3 years. Agriculture had a couple of people in Clonakilty looking at fisheries policy, but Portlaoise is a process centre I think.

If you're hoping for Waterford, Mayo or Roscommon you're very unlikely to get a position there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

hardybuck wrote: »
    If in the average year 125 AOs were taken on from this type of competition, maybe 5-10 posts could be outside Dublin. Maybe 5, 10 at a real push.

DPER, Finance and Justice would be the major recruiters. Revenue generally do their own thing. Social Protection don't really take AOs off these panels, nor do CSO.

Defence is a small Department and might take on a couple of AOs every 2 or 3 years. Agriculture had a couple of people in Clonakilty looking at fisheries policy, but Portlaoise is a process centre I think.

If you're hoping for Waterford, Mayo or Roscommon you're very unlikely to get a position there.

Probably not worth the hardship of tests/interviews then if little/no chance of an opening in fairness. Dublin is an absolute no so will have to let it pass.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Probably not worth the hardship of tests/interviews then if little/no chance of an opening in fairness. Dublin is an absolute no so will have to let it pass.

You'd have much better chance of getting an EO position outside Dublin, which is similar money to AO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

hardybuck wrote: »
    You'd have much better chance of getting an EO position outside Dublin, which is similar money to AO.

Dont think they have an open competition for those at the moment unfortunately. Ah well. Dublin, Dublin Dublin, maybe we'll learn by the next generation.

Dont think they have an open competition for those at the moment unfortunately. Ah well. Dublin, Dublin Dublin, maybe we'll learn by the next generation.

No, that's just where the Government are, and most AOs will continue to be while that's the case. More Civil Servants are outside Dublin than within it.

Keep an eye out for the Local Government jobs - they might come up in your area.

Therell be an open comp for EOs by year end. Last countrywide one is almost two years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Regional EO should open end of this year /early next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭MFPM

Is it the case that unlike the CO/EO competitions where candidates specify preferred geographic locations that in the AO competition they have one panel of successful candidates and they are offered a position when and where it arises? I note the comments above about the concentration of AOs in Dublin - does that mean if successful one could live in Roscommon or Sligo but be offered a position in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭barryos1505

Dont understand why the form would not allow you just pick your preferred location or where you are willing to work like other competitions. If I knew there was no jobs outside Limerick or maybe Clare at a push then it would save me applying as relocation not currently possible for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

Therell be an open comp for EOs by year end. Last countrywide one is almost two years ago.

There was a 2018 open comp with PAS that closed about a month ago.

linpoo wrote: »

That was Dublin only.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

linpoo wrote: »

Wasn't that the Dublin specific one though?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NEWBIEGRL8

Hi,

Conductor
    I am reading your post here on how AO's are considered practically the same as HEO's.
    Do you have anything that you can post up that backs that up by an chance or is it just general thought among the cs?

Many thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Skip13

NEWBIEGRL8 wrote: »
    Hi,

Conductor
    I am reading your post here on how AO's are considered practically the same as HEO's.
    Do you have anything that you can post up that backs that up by an chance or is it just general thought among the cs?

Many thanks,

The conductor knows a great deal more than me, but if you look at the PAS website https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/graduates/graduates-opportunities

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

NEWBIEGRL8 wrote: »
    Hi,

Conductor

Many thanks,

See attached Civil Service Structure.

also, https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/graduates/graduates-opportunities

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

See attached Civil Service Structure.

also, https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/graduates/graduates-opportunities

That HEO and AO are at the same point on grade scale is not in dispute.

The thing is that historically the roles and responsibilities of HEO and AO have been significantly different. However, in recent times there has been what many perceive as an increasing conflation between the two grades, to the point where many AOs find themselves involved in more operational activities, rather than the policy formulation, critical analysis, research and policy drafting that was traditionally their preserve. Inversely, HEOs, who were typically involved in operational activity, office management and leading teams (amongst other things), now find themselves involved in analysis, policy formulation, etc., etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 miami180985

Sorry to jump in, but isn't there an open HEO campaign due to start soon too? Disappointing to hear no AO jobs likely in mayo / Galway. I got an EO position on the last panel and I think that closed last month so a new one would be expected in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bmcb

Just read the last post I wonder is there a heo competition starting soon? Does anyone know if there is likely to be more positions in the west of Ireland with this comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Sorry to jump in, but isn't there an open HEO campaign due to start soon too? Disappointing to hear no AO jobs likely in mayo / Galway. I got an EO position on the last panel and I think that closed last month so a new one would be expected in the next few months.

General HEO is usually not an open comp, it's the only promotion grade left

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mala1313

Sorry to jump in, but isn't there an open HEO campaign due to start soon too? Disappointing to hear no AO jobs likely in mayo / Galway. I got an EO position on the last panel and I think that closed last month so a new one would be expected in the next few months.[/quote

Hi. Where did you hear that there will be no AO jobs for Galway?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There is a new HEO Interdepartmental Competition due in September 2019 (the current competition will draw from the orders of merit for another year). There are numerous internal competitions being run in several Departments (as is always the case)- along with a few confined HEO competitions being run under license from PAS on behalf of a few different Departments (such as the recent HEO ICT that Agriculture ran for 6 Departments). There is *no* 'open' competition though- HEO is the last purely promotional grade............

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bmcb

There is a new HEO Interdepartmental Competition due in September 2019 (the current competition will draw from the orders of merit for another year). There are numerous internal competitions being run in several Departments (as is always the case)- along with a few confined HEO competitions being run under license from PAS on behalf of a few different Departments (such as the recent HEO ICT that Agriculture ran for 6 Departments). There is *no* 'open' competition though- HEO is the last purely promotional grade............

I wonder is there any other competition we should be looking out for that would be eligible for.? Currently a local authority staff member.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

I wonder is there any other competition we should be looking out for that would be eligible for.? Currently a local authority staff member.

There is an open PO competition expected in January, though PO is a significantly more senior role and probably not much use to those of us here applying for AO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Last day for forms to be submitted in case anyone is still on the fence.

Hopefully the tests are sent out sooner rather than later!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ttastic

there is also AO position on the revene website that closes today. i think it is seperate to the PAS one. open to correction.

Edit; you can also choose a location(s)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Last day for forms to be submitted in case anyone is still on the fence.

Hopefully the tests are sent out sooner rather than later!

Stuck my form in for this. Might as well. Hopefully it’ll come to something.

Advertisement