Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it a good time to buy a new EV in late 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,744 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking about what you paid for it? Zero apr and a good trade in could make for a good deal!

I'd like to know too. The list price at €27.5k ex works is ludicrous, mind. I'd want a good 20% off for a cash deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bixler3

unkel wrote: »
    I'd like to know too. The list price at €27.5k ex works is ludicrous, mind. I'd want a good 20% off for a cash deal.

I was trading in so there was no cash discount but I got about 2.5k over market value for the trade in. Including metallic etc the price was €28.8k but with the 0%apr I'm paying the same as I was on the Toyota PCP. So without any petrol costs that's a saving of €150 per month straight away. Add to that the reduced toll costs, reduced motor tax and cheaper service every 30000km, it added up to a very compelling business case. Did a lot of research and the Zoe seems a reliable car.

Renault themselves say 300km summer and 200km winter. I'd say that's realistic enough in mixed driving, but include driving at 120km/h real speed on motorways and you won't get anywhere near it

Best of luck with your car though. Once you go EV for your main car, you'll never want to go back to ICE :D

I generally do about 95kmph on the motorway, would that give a much better range than doing 120kmph?

Yes it will. Huge difference. 95km/h indicated is probably less than 90km/h real speed too. You'd have a good chance of making it from Dublin to Cork (250km) without charging at those speeds in good circumstances :)

Yes it will. Huge difference. 95km/h indicated is probably less than 90km/h real speed too. You'd have a good chance of making it from Dublin to Cork (250km) without charging at those speeds in good circumstances :)

Great, thanks, i'm heading to Lahinch soon so that should give me an idea of motorway consumption rates. Thanks again and good luck to OP with the decision, i'll never go back to ICE. :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi all,

Since starting this thread back in September, The eNiro seemed to be very near and the Model 3 and VW Neo et al seemed to be very veryfar away at the end of 2019 or early 2020.

With only about 10 or 12 weeks left in 2018, the eNiro seems just as far away (even up to Q2 2019 possibly!), and the VN Neo and Tesla seem slightly nearer, albeit still distant.

Given all that, I've a test drive booked in a Model S next week to see if I like the Tesla style and if so, would I then put a deposit down for the Model 3!

My initial thinking was get the eNiro, it will be years before anything else comes out and I'll save 3.5k each year in the meantime.

Now I'm thinking, jasus, 40k is a lot for a Kia, and if it is Q2 2019 before I can actually get one, in Q2 2020 there'd be hope of a Tesla Model 3 which would be the dream.

I guess the crux of it is, I think we at a tipping point, where in 24 to 36 months, there'll be a lot of choice both in upgraded Leaf, Ionics etc, but also new entrants from VM, Skoda, Tesla etc, so is it mad to drop 40k on a Kia do people think?

Does anyone have a crystal ball and can tell me ;)

Thanks,
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hi all,

Since starting this thread back in September, The eNiro seemed to be very near and the Model 3 and VW Neo et al seemed to be very veryfar away at the end of 2019 or early 2020.

With only about 10 or 12 weeks left in 2018, the eNiro seems just as far away (even up to Q2 2019 possibly!), and the VN Neo and Tesla seem slightly nearer, albeit still distant.

Given all that, I've a test drive booked in a Model S next week to see if I like the Tesla style and if so, would I then put a deposit down for the Model 3!

My initial thinking was get the eNiro, it will be years before anything else comes out and I'll save 3.5k each year in the meantime.

Now I'm thinking, jasus, 40k is a lot for a Kia, and if it is Q2 2019 before I can actually get one, in Q2 2020 there'd be hope of a Tesla Model 3 which would be the dream.

I guess the crux of it is, I think we at a tipping point, where in 24 to 36 months, there'll be a lot of choice both in upgraded Leaf, Ionics etc, but also new entrants from VM, Skoda, Tesla etc, so is it mad to drop 40k on a Kia do people think?

Thanks,
    Al.
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

32k for a Kia PHEV is very good value

40k for a BEV is not, after all when you go to sell the first thing people will see is that it is a Kia....

No badge snobbery or anything but 40k is just too much. You can buy the Sorento for 40k.....that would be 40k spent better

Thanks,
    Al.

The car manufacturers do but I doubt they will give it to you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The car manufacturers do but I doubt they will give it to you :P
    Agree with your point above though, you don't need a crystal ball to know that spending €40k on a Kia BEV is silly expensive/crazy money.

You'd get an early model S for that

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote:
    You'd get an early model S for that

Don't be giving me ideas!! *currently on auto trader looking for a Model S that would be cheaper than an eNiro ;)

Don't be giving me ideas!! *currently on auto trader looking for a Model S that would be cheaper than an eNiro ;)

Go direct to Tesla UK

Go direct to Tesla UK

Cheapest from Tesla direct in Ireland or UK is 70 grand tho ;( That would be stretching my budget "just a bit"!

Could maybe just stretch to the cheapest UK one at 37k sterling...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810061248942

Cheapest Irish one is 50k euro...

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/tesla/model-s/used-2014-142-tesla-model-s-85-dublin-fpa-201808109348051

I wonder will the price drop come 191 or more come up for sale?!

I've a test drive booked for a Model S next weekend with Tesla, I'll see if wifey will approve the PO then ;)

I have a Saab 93 at the moment, and the Model S is only about 6 inches wider and a foot longer so not as big as I thought... hummm!!??

Does it have to be between a 40k Kia that's at least 4 months away and a Tesla that is far more expensive and far longer away?

Why not a 28k Leaf or Ioniq now brand new, or why indeed not a second hand EV?

One of my requirements is to be able to do about a 340km round trip in winter with 70% of that on motorway without charging.

That really narrows it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Everyone has a budget for their car. Mines less than 20k so there is no achievable saving by spending 45k after interest and other costs on an EV. And I do 100km a day.

If you normally spend 40k on a car then it makes sense but spending more to save is often flawed unless you have got tangible figures to back it up.

One of my requirements is to be able to do about a 340km round trip in winter with 70% of that on motorway without charging.

Yeah. That narrows it down. Probably more than you think.

Why without charging? You will struggle doing a mostly motorway trip on a bad day in winter in either the 64kWh Hyundai or Kia unless you drive below the speed limit and in the Tesla Model 3 won't make that trip at all unless you get the extremely expensive (and bad value for money long range model)

Buy a PHEV

Buy a PHEV

Keep the Saab.

Keep the Saab.

Loved my Saab!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭thebourke

whats the cheapest electric car/hybrid thats on the market now?

thebourke wrote:
    whats the cheapest electric car/hybrid thats on the market now?

The Renault Twizy ;)

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Buy a PHEV

unkel wrote:
    Keep the Saab

Keeping the Saab will cost me 3.5k a year in EV savings, it's a lovely car tho and I'd keep it otherwise!!

On going PHEV, it's full EV or nothing for me. One to get the savings, but two, and of equal weighting is the tech / early adopter buzz of a full electric only car.

unkel wrote:
    ...Tesla Model 3 won't make that trip at all...

Keep up Unkel, I've jumped the shark and now looking at the Model S!! ;)

Waiting for the Kia had me looking around, and the Model S in the UK I linked early isn't too far off eNiro price!

As I grasp at straws to justify a Model S, I was thinking in 3 to 5 years a 40k Kia won't be worth a whole lot. But a 40k Model S might be worth a fair bit more as its done a lot of deprecating already.

It makes total sense to go for the S so right??? Someone just say yes ha ha ;)

Yes :D

The one you linked to actually seems good value. Price is ok, it's 2016 (so another 2 years full warranty left) and it has AP. Unfortunately it's white :p

I can't see it doing 340km at 120km/h in winter though. You really need to drop that requirement. It ain't realistic.

Ok,

To circle back then and answer my own question, I'll say no, late 2018 isn't a good time to buy a new electric car for me.

The eNiro is getting further away, the Kona is paddy spec and limited availability, the Leaf has rapidgate and a possibly 60kWh coming soon, the Ionic is rarely in stock anywhere, the list goes on and on.

I do think there is great value in second hand however, some great Leafs for 10k that would suit a lot of people and save them money.

I've switched to looking at second hand Model S's in the eNiro price range. Did a test drive in Tesla at the weekend and was very impressed.

I'm hoping in January there'll be cars coming in of PCP and another years deprecation will kick in which could make some very compelling options in the €39,999 price range!

I'm not saying this is the best example, but you could be driving this car in Ireland this weekend if you have a spare €39,999 kicking around which beats at the taking about maybe some dealer might have some stock in 192 or whatever!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810131477372?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=bt309aj&model=MODEL%20S&newApplicationVersion=true&sort=price-asc&page=1&make=TESLA&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used

Not quite €40k, there is several thousand VRT to pay too. And the car is out of warranty at this stage. A substantial risk (although drive train and battery are still covered). Big miles on that car too and no AP. And over forty grand for a nearly 5 year old car!

If only these had depreciated a good bit, in the last year or so. But they haven't really.

All that said, still tempted myself :D

unkel wrote:
    ...there is several thousand VRT to pay too.

Isn't the first 35k of the car covered for VRT by grants, so would only be about €700 in VRT on that one?

Agree it's not the best example and autopilot is a must but better examples have come and gone in the last two weeks I've been watching, but they sell right say.

I'll be refreshing AutoTrader like mad in January so for a car like the above with less millage and Autopilot, watch this space ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Isn't the first 35k of the car covered for VRT by grants, so would only be about €700 in VRT on that one?

Agree it's not the best example and autopilot is a must but better examples have come and gone in the last two weeks I've been watching, but they sell right say.

I'll be refreshing AutoTrader like mad in January so for a car like the above with less millage and Autopilot, watch this space ;)

The first 35k of the Irish OMSP, the Irish OMSP will be significantly higher than 40k, so VRT will be more than €700 imo

• Advertisement

And unfortunately the case for VRT has been set by some Tesla CPO cars imported in the past year or so which obviously attracted a premium. So if you bring in a rough high mile '14 Model S with none of the desirable options that you bought at auction for £23k (yes this has happened), you pay the same VRT as someone bringing in a mint '14 CPO Model S with all options ticked that they paid £46k for :(

You can appeal of course, but you have to pay the full whack first...

Advertisement