Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media - analogue TV service reduction and switch off

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

gandalfio wrote: »
    Does she need to get an aerial fitted to the roof now to supply the full amount of saorview channels to multiple rooms? Are Virgin within their rights to reduce the number of channels supplied to her via cable?

An aerial is always required in conjunction with a Saorview receiver.

And yes Virgin are within their rights to switchoff the analogue channels, an alternative digital service is available from them via the same cable. Back in 2016 they switched off their MMDS TV service with no other alternative service offered to their subscribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gandalfio

The Cush wrote: »

And yes Virgin are within their rights to switchoff the analogue channels, an alternative digital service is available from them via the same cable. Back in 2016 they switched off their MMDS TV service with no other alternative service offered to their subscribers.

Is the alternative digital service free like Saorview?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not free. They are not required to provide free multiroom, indeed they used to charge for analogue multiroom if aware of it.

Is the alternative digital service free like Saorview?

No, but officially the analogue channels aren't either, they were a subscription service. At the end of Dec they still had around 4,500 paying analogue only subscribers. Other availed of them for free because it came on the same cable as their digital TV or broadband package or because the connection to a house was never disconnected once the subscription ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you want free digital TV there is Saorview on UHF aerial for Irish channels, and Freesat / Free to Air satellite channels (BBC, ITV, Ch4, Ch5, and many others) available to anyone in Ireland who can erect a satellite dish.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't expect any subscription service for free. Its just frustrating to not be able to receive Saorview through the old upc cable when the house doesn't have an aerial as a result of never needing one in the first place.

I wouldn't expect any subscription service for free. Its just frustrating to not be able to receive Saorview through the old upc cable when the house doesn't have an aerial as a result of never needing one in the first place.

It's a private commercial cable network and they charge a fee to access services carried.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Its just frustrating to not be able to receive Saorview through the old upc cable when the house doesn't have an aerial as a result of never needing one in the first place.

It sounds like you're suggesting that Virgin Media have a moral obligation to stick an aerial at the other end of your cable, now that they have switched off the analog signal.

You need to face the fact that the reason the house doesn't have an aerial is because back in the day, it would have given you just one TV channel - Telefis Eireann. Cable TV was a no-brainer in comparison, especially if there was kids in the house.

coylemj wrote: »
    It sounds like you're suggesting that Virgin Media have a moral obligation to stick an aerial at the other end of your cable, now that they have switched off the analog signal'

That's not the case at all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah FFS I just found a UPC box in the landlords shed, plugged the coax cable coming out of the wall in my room that I was getting the 7-8 analogue channels out of into it not expecting anything but it fecking worked! RTE, BBC, C4, Sky, Dave, Challenge, Bloomberg, Discovery etc, SCART connection only but crystal clear, 1000X better than what I had, I could have been using that for the last 3 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thargor wrote: »
    Ah FFS I just found a UPC box in the landlords shed,
    Do you know what model this is? Not just the brand (e.g. Pace) but a label should have a model number underneath.

I'm heading home for the weekend, I'll check on Sunday, it's old enough though, no HDMI and UPC branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Siberian Husky

The Cush wrote: »

Where I live you can pick it up on a piece of string.

Ah FFS I just found a UPC box in the landlords shed, plugged the coax cable coming out of the wall in my room that I was getting the 7-8 analogue channels out of into it not expecting anything but it fecking worked! RTE, BBC, C4, Sky, Dave, Challenge, Bloomberg, Discovery etc, SCART connection only but crystal clear, 1000X better than what I had, I could have been using that for the last 3 years!
    This box seems to have stopped working today, seems to be stuck on this screen after a hard reboot:

https://i.imgur.com/I3vNCVv.jpg

Sorry for massive pic, it just says the set-up is now being finalised this can take a few minutes but its been there for an hour now. Still recieving EPG data though, Im in Bray, was today the switch-off date for Bray does anyone know? ?Would that have affected this digital box? Its definitely a digital box aswell, it has a DVR etc, Thomson DV1622UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

This box seems to have stopped working today, seems to be stuck on this screen after a hard reboot:

https://i.imgur.com/I3vNCVv.jpg

Sorry for massive pic, it just says the set-up is now being finalised this can take a few minutes but its been there for an hour now. Still recieving EPG data though, Im in Bray, was today the switch-off date for Bray does anyone know? ?Would that have affected this digital box? Its definitely a digital box aswell, it has a DVR etc, Thomson DV1622UPC.

Analogue switch-off has nothing to do with this box, it is a digital receiver.

Likely what happened is that it was still active when it was originally disconnected, once you plugged it back in it was only a matter of time before it picked up a current subscriber list and the viewing card got blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Analogue switch off in Dublin 14 on August 6th - as well as the 9 channels remaining will be gone, there will be no more old style Aertel service ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Analogue switch off in Dublin 14 on August 6th - as well as the 9 channels remaining will be gone, there will be no more old style Aertel service ;-)

Does this mean you need a box at every old TVpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Does this mean you need a box at every old TV point

Yes, a small digital box which they call 'multiroom'. Last time I checked, it cost €11 p.m. With the analog signal stopped and without a digital box, the VM signal is unusable.

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes, a small digital box which they call 'multiroom'. Last time I checked, it cost €11 p.m. With the analog signal stopped and without a digital box, the VM signal is unusable.

Virgin say the radio stations will continue to work after the switch off. i presume by still using the box??
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/switchoff/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Delta2113

No radio is still analogue -you don't need a box.

• Advertisement

Delta2113 wrote: »
    No radio is still analogue -you don't need a box.

so without the box, how do you connect to listen and get a radio channel listing etc..

so without the box, how do you connect to listen and get a radio channel listing etc..

You should have a tv/fm splitter at the entry point of the VM cable.

If you have a high end FM radio it should have a connection for an external aerial, this can be connected by coax to the VM splitter.

Radios without a port can just be bodged by connecting the core wire of the VM coaxial cable to the radio's aerial.

The service is RTE and some irish commercial stations as well as BBC R1-5, world service, ulster and a few others.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056130462

I have that FM / TV (UPC) splitter, but I only use the TV one and I presumed I would be able to continue using it with the box, when the tv channels are gone?? I want to use the existing radio channel guide/EPG on my tv screen

I have that FM / TV (UPC) splitter, but I only use the TV one and I presumed I would be able to continue using it with the box, when the tv channels are gone?? I want to use the existing radio channel guide/EPG on my tv screen

I don't understand what you are looking for here. Digital TV and radio are available with subscription through the various types of boxes and remain unaltered by the analogue TV shutdown.

analogue radio on FM is remaining and requires a regular FM receiver to tune in, apart from being delivered by cable rather than transmission masts it is identical to any other FM broadcast.

I am talking about my existing UPC box, that i still use for getting the list of radio stations and being able to listen to them through my TV. I press the "Radio" button on my UPC box. ...and a list of radio stations appear....maybe 25 of them...I dont have a TV subscription i.e.: the box is only useful for me receiving radio stations (through the TV splitter, never used FM)...TV Channels will remain (until 6th August) but I just go up and down the separate TV remote to navigate through these 9 Channels.

Maybe you didn't realise that radio stations on an old UPC box (and remote), can still be received without any subscription?

Btw, I won't be getting a subscription to Virgin (or any other provider) when analogue tv is switched off.

I wish to continue listening to the radio using the "Radio" button on my UPC box/remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

Virgim Media Analogue being switched off this Tuesday (6th Aug.) here in Killiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Radio Gold wrote: »
    Virgim Media Analogue being switched off this Tuesday (6th Aug.) here in Killiney.

Anyone know what areas still need to be switched off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

Mine went today in Baldoyle. Freaked out . No fair city. :)
    Time to get it sorted now with a combi box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Gone in dublin 13 :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement