boards.ie Mobile
Page 1 of 25
1 2311 > Last »
Gaming (General)>Monster Hunter World
ahnowbrowncow 16:27 09-12-2017 (2 Thanks)
No thread for this? I know it has mostly been a handheld and Nintendo game but the series doesn't seem to be too popular on boards.ie. Even still I thought there'd be a lot more interest in it seeing as it's being released on PS4, XBOX One and PC in January.

It looks great and I can see it being a contender for game of the year next year, plus the beta goes live today on the PS4 if anyone wants to give it a try, you'll need PS Plus to play the beta.

[Quote] [Thank]
YouSavedMyLife 17:08 09-12-2017
Never played a Monster Hunter game and always wanted to, but they had been on the wrong console everytime. No doubt gonna get this on PC for sure
[Quote] [Thank]
Cake of Tremendous Power 17:14 09-12-2017
Downloading the beta now. Been curious about this since it was shown at e3 as I never got the chance to play the Nintendo titles
[Quote] [Thank]
J. Marston 17:33 09-12-2017
Can't find the beta on PSN?
[Quote] [Thank]
Enfilade 17:52 09-12-2017 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by J. Marston:
Can't find the beta on PSN?
Store / whats hot / scroll right to preorders and it's there
[Quote] [Thank]
Cake of Tremendous Power 18:25 09-12-2017
Just played my first hunt there. It's a great concept, I just need to figure out what to do with all the items
[Quote] [Thank]
Lone Stone 21:36 09-12-2017
man im dying to play this, il just sit here and wait for it on pc Q_Q
[Quote] [Thank]
murphyebass 21:43 09-12-2017
I'd missed all the other games as well but always liked the looks of them. Projared on youtubes enthusiasm for them is infectious.

So I played the beginner level earlier. Was very easy so looking forward to seeing the challenge in the two more difficult modes. Didn't have time to try earlier unfortunately.

I tried joining the online multiplayer and couldn't get into matchmaking, kept getting an error. It's the sort of game they'd need to get that right with come launch.
[Quote] [Thank]
Sephiroth_dude 22:40 09-12-2017
Not too familiar with the monster hunter games, are they multiplayer only?
[Quote] [Thank]
murphyebass 23:08 09-12-2017 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Sephiroth_dude:
Not too familiar with the monster hunter games, are they multiplayer only?
From my brief play of it and research before you can play solo and there is also matchmaking functionality. To me it seems like a game perfectly suited to multiplayer. Take down a big **** off enemy with mates.

I'm currently getting into an online game here. Seems to have found a few players but taking a while to start. Fingers crossed it works.

Edit... So yeah in with a few randomers there and it all worked grand. Honestly not sure what in doing other than hack and slash and we defeated the intermediate boss but I can see it being deep overall. No idea what all the stuff does yet. Good fun though
[Quote] [Thank]
Mickeroo 23:12 09-12-2017
Originally Posted by murphyebass:
From my brief play of it and research before you can play solo and there is also matchmaking functionality. To me it seems like a game perfectly suited to multiplayer. Take down a big **** off enemy with mates.

I'm currently getting into an online game here. Seems to have found a few players but taking a while to start. Fingers crossed it works.
Is it just Evolve but with an AI monster? (and actually good)
[Quote] [Thank]
Cake of Tremendous Power 23:15 09-12-2017
No, there's a good bit more depth to this I think.
[Quote] [Thank]
murphyebass 23:24 09-12-2017
Originally Posted by Mickeroo:
Is it just Evolve but with an AI monster? (and actually good)
I didn't play evolve but from watching reviews etc of previous instalments of MH I'd say it's pretty deep. Has a huge (maybe slightly cult) following.
[Quote] [Thank]
Enfilade 23:26 09-12-2017
Played the first hunt earlier. Not familiar with the games either but on paper they tick a few boxes for me. The combat in this didn't feel good at all even the lock on was a bit crazy as to what it chose to target.

And I hate radial menus for item select.
[Quote] [Thank]
ahnowbrowncow 01:37 10-12-2017 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Enfilade:
Played the first hunt earlier. Not familiar with the games either but on paper they tick a few boxes for me. The combat in this didn't feel good at all even the lock on was a bit crazy as to what it chose to target.

And I hate radial menus for item select.
Combat is one of my favourite parts of the monster hunter series, similar to dark souls in that you can't just hack n' slash, you need to wait for the opportune moment to strike. Try some of the other weapons, all 14 types are very different so maybe the one you were using wasn't suited to you. Sword and shield is probably the best for newcomers. You don't have to use the radial menu, use sqaure to use your chosen item and cycle through them by holding L1 and pressing square or O.

The monster hunter games are quite deep, nothing like evolve really. It's only the beta so you'll only really see the combat aspects and not the story or item/material collection from the map and monsters that are needed to upgrade your equipment (big part of the game).
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 1 of 25
1 2311 > Last »

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet