boards.ie Mobile
Page 1 of 26
1 2311 > Last »
After Hours>Making Confirmation and regular attendance at Mass
BellaBella 12:31 09-02-2018 (61 Thanks)
A priest in Enniscorthy has said that parents who want their children to make their Confirmation must attend Mass. I think he's right. People taking part in sacraments that are completely meaningless to them seems very hypocritical to me, and insulting to the people to whom they have religious significance.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...iest-1.3385833
[Quote] [Thank]
99 Bortles of Beer 12:33 09-02-2018 (15 Thanks)
That's funny, because I attended Mass regularly before my confirmation and haven't attended since. It's as if my Ma said to God "Right, my job is done. He's your problem now."
[Quote] [Thank]
eviltwin 12:33 09-02-2018 (84 Thanks)
Originally Posted by BellaBella:
A priest in Enniscorthy has said that parents who want their children to make their Confirmation must attend Mass. I think he's right. People taking part in sacraments that are completely meaningless to them seems very hypocritical to me, and insulting to the people to whom they have religious significance.

Pity they aren't so gung ho when it comes to baptisms
[Quote] [Thank]
Odhinn 12:34 09-02-2018 (25 Thanks)

Dump child at school in the hope they'll take care of religous instruction, live life outside tenants of religion you claim to be a member of, decry change to status quo, rinse and repeat. A nation of poxy hypocrites.
[Quote] [Thank]
VinLieger 12:34 09-02-2018 (58 Thanks)
I completely agree, so is the catholic church going to arrange to give back 90% of primary schools to the state and thus remove the baptism barrier?
[Quote] [Thank]
Blazer 12:34 09-02-2018 (3 Thanks)
To be honest I'm quite happy for my child to skip the whole nonsense around religion and communion and confirmation and believe it should be taken outside of school. Unfortunately my missus believes this would penalise him regarding school places etc so she's made the decision that he would take part in these despite my wishes.
But seriously..how on earth would a priest know who's going to mass every week? "I'm sitting at the back father" lol
[Quote] [Thank]
BellaBella 12:37 09-02-2018 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Blazer:
To be honest I'm quite happy for my child to skip the whole nonsense around religion and communion and confirmation and believe it should be taken outside of school. Unfortunately my missus believes this would penalise him regarding school places etc so she's made the decision that he would take part in these despite my wishes.
But seriously..how on earth would a priest know who's going to mass every week? "I'm sitting at the back father" lol
In Dublin it would be difficult but in smaller country parishes not so much I would imagine.

The debate around the baptism barrier is a valid one, but not really the subject of this thread. It is not compulsory for any child to make their Confirmation so why do so many parents, including those who are against the baptism issue, present their child for it and Communion, when they don't have to?
[Quote] [Thank]
piplip87 12:38 09-02-2018 (23 Thanks)

Yes but how many if the Children are only Catholic because of the schools admission policy ? The preparation for Confirmation takes up massive amounts timewise in 6th Class, kids whose parents have no choice in the matter, as kids not receiving confirmation may be seen as different by their class mates ?

Solution to all of this is to take religious teaching and preparation for sacraments out if schools. If a parent want their children indoctrinated in the Catholic Church or any church it should be done at home.

If priests want religious education let them take Sunday Schools after mass on a Sunday.
[Quote] [Thank]
BellaBella 12:39 09-02-2018 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by piplip87:
Yes but how many if the Children are only Catholic because of the schools admission policy ? The preparation for Confirmation takes up massive amounts timewise in 6th Class, kids whose parents have no choice in the matter, as kids not receiving confirmation may be seen as different by their class mates ?

Solution to all of this is to take religious teaching and preparation for sacraments out if schools. If a parent want their children indoctrinated in the Catholic Church or any church it should be done at home.

If priests want religious education let them take Sunday Schools after mass on a Sunday.
I think Sunday Schools are going to be the way forward, as it makes no sense for parents who never go to Mass to be taking part in Communion and Confirmation ceremonies.
[Quote] [Thank]
VinLieger 12:41 09-02-2018 (4 Thanks)
In Dublin it would be difficult but in smaller country parishes not so much I would imagine.

The debate around the baptism barrier is a valid one, but not really the subject of this thread. It is not compulsory for any child to make their Confirmation so why do so many parents, including those who are against the baptism issue, present their child for it and Communion, when they don't have to?
It is deffinitely the subject of the thread if a priest is identifying parents being guilty of this when performing one sacrament but not the other. He's quite happy to turn a blind eye to the baptism issue as it keeps the churches numbers up.

Hes a hypocrite but tbh i wouldn't expect much better from a any member of the catholic church
[Quote] [Thank]
piplip87 12:41 09-02-2018

A class if 30 kids. 3 don't wish to get a sacrament. Then three kids will be seen as different by their classmates, so much school time is taken up with preparation what are then 3 kid going to do ?
[Quote] [Thank]
wnolan1992 12:41 09-02-2018 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Blazer:
TBH, I think your wife is right, as sad and all as that is.

Just be sure to constantly tell him it's all bollox and you're literally just ticking a box so he can claim to be Catholic if his school requires it, and he should be grand.
[Quote] [Thank]
Agricola 12:43 09-02-2018 (43 Thanks)
It's such bollox. Friend of mine is having a humanist wedding, him and the Mrs are openly atheist, none of the a la carte catholic business, but they've had the kid baptized so they have a choice of national schools in the locality. They've decided to let the child go through all the catholic rituals/teaching in school because they don't want him excluded or feeling different. All that tripe should be removed from school hours and only attended to evening and weekends. Then we'd see who the real Catholics are.
[Quote] [Thank]
kneemos 12:46 09-02-2018 (4 Thanks)
Isn't it the kid that's getting confirmed?
Why are the parents being hard shouldered into getting out of bed on they're day off?
[Quote] [Thank]
BellaBella 12:50 09-02-2018 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by wnolan1992:
TBH, I think your wife is right, as sad and all as that is.

Just be sure to constantly tell him it's all bollox and you're literally just ticking a box so he can claim to be Catholic if his school requires it, and he should be grand.
Genuine question, not being sarcastic, but do you actually know of any child who's been penalised for not making their Communion or Confirmation?
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 1 of 26
1 2311 > Last »

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet