boards.ie Mobile
Page 1 of 7
1 23 > Last »
Politics Cafe 2.0>SF/DUP Powersharing Deal Imminent
FrancieBrady 10:48 12-02-2018
Varadkar and May travelling to Belfast today ahead of rumours a deal has been done.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2018/...0012-stormont/

Anyone hearing any detail on the wires?
[Quote] [Thank]
Zubeneschamali 15:40 12-02-2018
The Guardian pouring cold water on the idea that the DUP will agree - they didn't like the "mood music" at Mary Lou's coronation, apparently, and are not going to play.
[Quote] [Thank]
FrancieBrady 15:59 12-02-2018
Originally Posted by Zubeneschamali:
The Guardian pouring cold water on the idea that the DUP will agree - they didn't like the "mood music" at Mary Lou's coronation, apparently, and are not going to play.
I wonder is that just a bit of posturing though.

Irish Times seems to think a deal is on. Nothing to be signed today though.
[Quote] [Thank]
billy few mates 19:22 12-02-2018 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by FrancieBrady:
I wonder is that just a bit of posturing though.

Irish Times seems to think a deal is on. Nothing to be signed today though.
Maybe they’re not as progressive or thick skinned as you and found the nod to the Army Council in Mary Lou’s speech offensive.....? :confused:
[Quote] [Thank]
FrancieBrady 21:14 12-02-2018
Originally Posted by billy few mates:
Maybe they’re not as progressive or thick skinned as you and found the nod to the Army Council in Mary Lou’s speech offensive.....? :confused:
If you believe she is being controlled and have done business with the party for 20 yrs, why would you be getting upset now?

Posturing Billy, because they know they cannot get out of this without concession.
[Quote] [Thank]
Red_Wake 10:33 13-02-2018
Originally Posted by FrancieBrady:
Originally Posted by billy few mates:
If you believe she is being controlled and have done business with the party for 20 yrs, why would you be getting upset now?

Posturing Billy, because they know they cannot get out of this without concession.
It's arguable that getting Stormont up and running is more in the interest of SF than the DUP, due to the necessity of the DUP's ongoing support of the UK Government - they're in a situation where SF has no means to influence the laws and governance of NI, while they have the Tories over a barrel and can have a softer version of Direct Rule should they wish, with a government that can't afford to refuse them.
[Quote] [Thank]
Bot42 11:26 13-02-2018 (1 Thanks)
What the Tories need to realise is that the DUP likely wouldn't vote against them anyway, because that would open the door for "IRA Sympathiser" Corbyn to become PM.

That, or the Tories win another election and don't need the DUP anyway.
[Quote] [Thank]
Johnny Dogs 13:46 13-02-2018
This is what nationalists in the north are up against.

[Quote] [Thank]
Red_Wake 14:53 13-02-2018
Is that Simon Coveney? On the right .
[Quote] [Thank]
Johnny Dogs 15:04 13-02-2018
Originally Posted by Red_Wake:
Yeah, but they're not trying to imply Coveney or Varadkar are trying to block the act, that's just a still from a video I admittedly didn't watch.
[Quote] [Thank]
Red_Wake 17:07 13-02-2018
Originally Posted by Johnny Dogs:
Yeah, but they're not trying to imply Coveney or Varadkar are trying to block the act, that's just a still from a video I admittedly didn't watch.
Also, you posted a dead link.
[Quote] [Thank]
Johnny Dogs 17:19 13-02-2018
Also, you posted a dead link.
I dunno about that now. Works for me.

Try this https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/no...odge-1-8376176
[Quote] [Thank]
FrancieBrady 18:36 13-02-2018 (3 Thanks)
I dunno about that now. Works for me.

Try this https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/no...odge-1-8376176
No surprise there. It's not that long ago that they were proposing this:

Originally Posted by :
Grand Lodge of Ireland (Orange Order): “That the Government of Northern Ireland be asked to remove from the Curriculum of the Ministry of Education the Irish language, and that no facilities be given in public, secondary or elementary schools for the teaching of such

[Quote] [Thank]
Johnny Dogs 08:52 14-02-2018 (6 Thanks)
Reports I'm hearing this am are that a deal could be months away (according to Foster) due to the Irish language act.

Here we have an example of a known sectarian bigoted organisation actively lobbying a govt party to resist the act.

There seems to be a distinct lack of interest here though.

No SF bashing to be had on it I guess.
[Quote] [Thank]
Zubeneschamali 08:54 14-02-2018 (2 Thanks)
There seems to be a distinct lack of interest here though.
It isn't very interesting because it isn't at all unusual or surprising. The DUP are dong what they do.
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 1 of 7
1 23 > Last »

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet