boards.ie Mobile
Page 1 of 12
1 2311 > Last »
Accommodation & Property>Rents to rise to 2500 a month in Dublin
Elessar 09:26 13-02-2018
Just reading this piece on the latest Daft.ie report where the current national average rent price is €1227 while in Dublin it's now €2k a month. They expect the trend to continue until at least €2500 a month before the market starts to normalise. Supply is even more depressing:

Originally Posted by :
With just 3,150 properties now available to rent across the country, the ongoing dearth of supply is undoubtedly a key factor behind the upwards trend in rents. This level of supply is down by more than 20 per cent on the same date in 2016, and according to Daft.ie, is the lowest level ever recorded for this time of year. In 2010, for example, stock across the country was about 22,500, while even in 2006/2007, the number of properties available for rent touched 10,000.
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...slow-1.3389643

As someone looking to rent in Dublin soon I am dreading it. I can't see how people afford it.

Of the boardsies renting in the big smoke, how much of your take home pay does it devour?
[Quote] [Thank]
DrumSteve 09:28 13-02-2018
You have my pity.

Try a house share when you come up here; renting on your own (or even two people) can be really difficult.
[Quote] [Thank]
super_furry 09:32 13-02-2018 (4 Thanks)
It's all feeding into rising house prices too. A mortgage of €550,000 over 30 years would leave your with repayments that are cheaper than €2500 a month rent.

God help us if the lending requirements are ever relaxed because it'll be carnage.
[Quote] [Thank]
jonnycivic 09:36 13-02-2018
MOD Moved to Accom & Property as its better suited there: take note of the new charter.
[Quote] [Thank]
maximoose 10:49 13-02-2018 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Elessar:
Of the boardsies renting in the big smoke, how much of your take home pay does it devour?
~20%

We have been lucky though. Landlord is an investment company - rent was unchanged for 3 years and now they have started the 4% annual rise but our place (1 bet apt in D8) is comfortably under the average for the area.

I don't envy someone looking to make the move to Dublin now.
[Quote] [Thank]
DubCount 10:52 13-02-2018
There are just not enough properties to rent, and nothing being done to encourage more rental properties to come onto the market. Affordability is only discussed in terms of property purchase prices. Rent controls only help (short term) those already in a rented home. Eventually, only those with most money can afford the limited rentals available. If supply is not encouraged, prices will continue to rise.
[Quote] [Thank]
Westwood 14:02 13-02-2018 (1 Thanks)
Stay away from Dublin it's disastrous, always was , always will be, spoken like a true dub.
[Quote] [Thank]
BDJW 14:59 13-02-2018 (5 Thanks)
I'm currently looking for a two bed apartment to rent. I came across a two bed in Belarmine (Stepaside) for 700 quid a week this morning :eek:
[Quote] [Thank]
Theboinkmaster 15:01 13-02-2018 (7 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Westwood:
Stay away from Dublin it's disastrous, always was , always will be, spoken like a true dub.
That's really helpful insight thanks - stay away from the country's capital where most of the jobs are :rolleyes:
[Quote] [Thank]
jimgoose 15:04 13-02-2018 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by BDJW:
I'm currently looking for a two bed apartment to rent. I came across a two bed in Belarmine (Stepaside) for 700 quid a week this morning :eek:
Faaark! The brother isn't paying much more than that for a fairly big, comfy pad in Battery Park, Manhattan!
[Quote] [Thank]
Mickiemcfist 15:21 13-02-2018
Not really the most relevant question as the earnings spread in Dublin in fairly large. FWIW I spend about 30% of take home salary.

If you're just moving up, the best deals are a room in a suburban 4 bed house.
[Quote] [Thank]
belfe 17:55 13-02-2018 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Theboinkmaster:
That's really helpful insight thanks - stay away from the country's capital where most of the jobs are :rolleyes:
... And the salary earned is not for you but for your landlord.
[Quote] [Thank]
VonBeanie 18:08 13-02-2018 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by BDJW:
Its not expensive enough for that area - its probably a scam :D:D
[Quote] [Thank]
Samuel T. Cogley 20:43 13-02-2018 (29 Thanks)
Originally Posted by belfe:
... And the salary earned is not for you but for your landlord.
Who gives quite a high proportion of it back to the tax man who spends it on providing subsidised housing in the capital to many deserving people and many not so deserving.
[Quote] [Thank]
stateofflux 20:55 13-02-2018 (5 Thanks)
It is nuts..

4 years ago i was renting a big 2 bed georgian apartment in ranelagh for 650pm
now i am in a tiny studio (an eight of the size) paying 950pm.

the funny thing is back then i only had a part time job /casual dole. now i have a decent full time job and decent salary but my disposable income is the same.
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 1 of 12
1 2311 > Last »

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet