boards.ie Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Buying and Selling>Is my car really worth so little?
NIMAN 20:06 12-09-2018
I emailed a Renault dealer re: trading in my 161 Golf 1.6 highline.

He offered me €13k for it as a trade-in:eek:
[Quote] [Thank]
Autochange 20:08 12-09-2018 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by NIMAN:

Sell it privately
[Quote] [Thank]
NIMAN 20:16 12-09-2018
Not really ready to sell, was just enquiring for now.

But I do see myself changing maybe in the next 12 months.

Just got a shock when I seen the figure. I have had quotes before for it and none were anywhere near that low. I just think its a ridiculous figure.

As for selling privately, I tried this in the past with a car priced at €10k, and got little or no interest. I think its hard to sell privately, unless you make it so attractive, and even then some people will think 'whats wrong with that car, its very cheap'.
[Quote] [Thank]
Supergurrier 20:27 12-09-2018 (1 Thanks)
Selling privately is easy, you just need to box clever and take good pictures
[Quote] [Thank]
Twenty Grand 20:29 12-09-2018 (10 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Supergurrier:
Selling privately is easy, you just need to box clever and take good pictures
Tough to part with that much cash on a private sale.
[Quote] [Thank]
Supergurrier 20:32 12-09-2018 (5 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Twenty Grand:
What is this 1998, bank transfers are the way to go nowadays.
[Quote] [Thank]
Twenty Grand 20:33 12-09-2018 (17 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Supergurrier:
What is this 1998, bank transfers are the way to go nowadays.
Sorry, tough to part with that much cash with no comeback if the car is a lemon.
[Quote] [Thank]
rn 20:34 12-09-2018 (2 Thanks)
I agree... IMHO tough to sell privately for over 8k. Heading in 8+k terroritry and you're starting to attract the buyer that needs finance and a lot of tyre kickers.

You are competing with 161 UK diesel golf's, which are rapidly falling out of favour over there and a terribly weak pound.
[Quote] [Thank]
Supergurrier 20:39 12-09-2018 (4 Thanks)
Sorry, tough to part with that much cash with no comeback if the car is a lemon.
I've bought and sold afew lemons, but ive also bought and sold some great cars.

Insist on a pre purchase inspection at a local indy garage you trust and go in eyes open. Just because a seller has a forecourt doesn't mean they won't do everything possible to screw you.
[Quote] [Thank]
68 lost souls 20:46 12-09-2018 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by NIMAN:

Average price on donedeal seems to be about 20,000 with a few at 16,000 so depends on mileage and condition.

Renault dealer may not have been interested in taking it all so offered you a lowball offer plus trying to make a tidy profit on it if they do take it in.

May also be concerned about taking in a diesel this close to the budget
[Quote] [Thank]
alan partridge aha 20:48 12-09-2018 (40 Thanks)
Originally Posted by 68 lost souls:
Average price on donedeal seems to be about 20,000 with a few at 16,000 so depends on mileage and condition.

Renault dealer may not have been interested in taking it all so offered you a lowball offer plus trying to make a tidy profit on it if they do take it in.

Who in their right mind would trade a VW and buy a Renault FFS.
[Quote] [Thank]
pah 20:48 12-09-2018 (3 Thanks)
Sold my car recently for 15.5k had to drop from 17 to 16k after a while as not much genuine interest. I was patient and had a good ad IMO, dropped price after right amount of time etc.

Somebody posted on another thread, there's a buyer for every car which I believe is true.
[Quote] [Thank]
NIMAN 21:26 12-09-2018 (6 Thanks)
Username quite coincidental.
[Quote] [Thank]
NIMAN 21:28 12-09-2018 (4 Thanks)
Originally Posted by 68 lost souls:

Vast majority of trade-ins in Ireland would be diesel.

But again, dealers look after no1. They would say "ah sure diesels aren't selling any more" to someone like me trying to trade one in, yet to someone on their forecourt looking to buy it would be "nonsense, there's loads of years left in diesels".
[Quote] [Thank]
TheBoyConor 21:30 12-09-2018 (7 Thanks)
If you're taking that much of a hit at trade in and private sale why would u even bother?
You'd be far better off to just keep the car and drive it into the ground. When you're buying new the only way to get your proper money's worth it of it is to drive it to death. Otherwise your just constantly shelling out money on depreciation. Pure waste.
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet