B 12 34.29%
C 18 51.43%
Something else 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Golf>drop location
RoadRunner 10:03 14-09-2018 (1 Thanks)

Red is what has happened. Player shooting at green. Carry the water, land on green, but fail to stay on green.

Where would you drop A, B or C?
[Quote] [Thank]
prawnsambo 10:11 14-09-2018
Originally Posted by RoadRunner:

Red is what has happened. Player shooting at green. Carry the water, land on green, but fail to stay on green.

Where would you drop A, B or C?
C.
[Quote] [Thank]
kieran. 10:11 14-09-2018 (1 Thanks)
Point C

B would also be acceptable if its a lateral hazard.
[Quote] [Thank]
RoadRunner 10:15 14-09-2018
Originally Posted by kieran.:
if its a lateral hazard.
Not lateral.
[Quote] [Thank]
kiers47 10:20 14-09-2018 (1 Thanks)
C is only an option for a lateral hazard. So is incorrect as you are saying it isnt a lateral hazard.

The correct answer is B.
You can also obviously take a drop where the last shot was played from.
[Quote] [Thank]
GreeBo 10:22 14-09-2018 (1 Thanks)
Once the ball lands @ X (i.e. not in a hazard) then A is no longer relevant and since its not a lateral water hazard then B is the only option other than replaying the original shot.
[Quote] [Thank]
Dormy 11:17 14-09-2018 (1 Thanks)
B or replay shot.
C only an option if its lateral.
A not an option
[Quote] [Thank]
RoadRunner 11:24 14-09-2018 (2 Thanks)
No, It's actually:
D) "Walk on to the next hole cause you were in the drink in 5 and you've no shot there anyway" :)

Cheers. I have incorrectly dropped (at point C) in the past.

Any idea why I have some strange belief that the ball carrying the water but then rolling back into it has some benefit as opposed to not making the carry at all? This thought is nonsense, right?
[Quote] [Thank]
Miley Byrne 11:28 14-09-2018 (1 Thanks)

Any idea why I have some strange belief that the ball carrying the water but then rolling back into it has some benefit as opposed to not making the carry at all?
Red stakes, yes

Yellow stakes, no
[Quote] [Thank]
kiers47 11:33 14-09-2018
I dont like to make general statements.
But generally hazards like this surrounding a green should be lateral hazards which will give you additional options for a drop. Like with C above.

Not always the case but i think there should be some stipulation from the R&A that hazards surrounding a green are lateral hazards. Tbh i would make all hazards lateral hazards but that's another discussion.
[Quote] [Thank]
GreeBo 11:34 14-09-2018
No, It's actually:
D) "Walk on to the next hole cause you were in the drink in 5 and you've no shot there anyway" :)

Cheers. I have incorrectly dropped (at point C) in the past.

Any idea why I have some strange belief that the ball carrying the water but then rolling back into it has some benefit as opposed to not making the carry at all? This thought is nonsense, right?
You never said you were wet in 5!

Your belief is correct, *if* its a lateral.
In your example its much more advantageous to drop at somewhere just short of X than at A.
[Quote] [Thank]
RoadRunner 11:52 14-09-2018 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by GreeBo:
You never said you were wet in 5!
Just joking about that.
[Quote] [Thank]
slave1 12:04 14-09-2018
Not lateral.
Then it has to be B
[Quote] [Thank]
RoadRunner 12:11 14-09-2018 (1 Thanks)
Now I'm doubting whether the hole I'm thinking of is lateral or not.

In the past, I've think I've tended to subconsciously define long rivers as lateral hazards and wider bodies of water (ponds/pools etc) as non-lateral hazzards without sufficient attention given to whether stakes are red or yellow.
[Quote] [Thank]
prawnsambo 12:16 14-09-2018 (1 Thanks)
Now I'm doubting whether the hole I'm thinking of is lateral or not.

In the past, I've think I've tended to subconsciously define long rivers as lateral hazards and wider bodies of water (ponds/pools etc) as non-lateral hazzards without sufficient attention given to whether stakes are red or yellow.
Well the clue is in the name. Literally lateral (parallel) to the direction of the hole. "So situated that it is not possible or deemed... impracticable to drop a ball behind".

Water hazards can often be both lateral and non-lateral. Your diagram above could have the left hand portion beside the green being lateral and the part between the tee and green being non-lateral.
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet