boards.ie Mobile
Page 1 of 32
1 2311 > Last »
Gaming (General)>Apex Legends
johnny_ultimate 01:17 05-02-2019 (3 Thanks)
Guess it deserves its own thread!

So Respawn's Titanfall spin-off comes with two important disclaimers:

But, on its own terms, it's not half bad!

Based on a few games so far, it definitely scores a couple of points above some of its well known competitors. It has that razor sharp Respawn running-and-gunning gameplay, so it flows great even if the temptation is still to wall-run :pac:. The map design actually feels like a massive, interesting map with character rather than the hyper-bland PUBG ones (I haven't played Blackout, but from what I've heard this has borrowed some tricks from that). The relatively small amount of heroes means it's more immediate than Overwatch too, although it seems to me the basic gameplay is very similar across all characters here and the character abilities just add that bit of variety to proceedings.

I'm still not the biggest fan of the genre, and nothing's sparked quite like an Attrition match in either of the mainline TF games. But this, fairly determinedly, wants to be a different thing (a good thing in many ways - studios shouldn't get stuck in a cycle of just churning out straightforward sequels) and it works well. The battle royale pacing can still be annoying, especially when it's all over before you even get to do anything much. But this is a confident take on the genre, with more than enough polish to let you know those talented folk at Respawn are behind it. Gave me a serious hankering to boot up TF2 again, but I look forward to testing this out more as well!
[Quote] [Thank]
ShadowHearth 02:29 05-02-2019
It's actually very interesting way they threw that game out. No marketing, developed for the last two years with vision of being what it is now. No Early Access bull**** too.

I set it to download tonight, so hopefully will give it a go tomorrow after work. So far hearing pretty good things from usual YouTubers.

The only thing that is a bit weird - name. It's clearly Titanfall child, but they burried it. Considering no marketing behind it, it will be a big harder for people to find it. Then again, I bet you media will do their marketing for them for free. Really interested to see how it will pan out.
[Quote] [Thank]
Mr Grumble 07:17 05-02-2019
I really like it. There is enough Titanfall there to call it part of the universe but I also like how they have done something different. You have to wonder if there was a Titanfall 3 what it would look like. The same again only a slightly different? Not sure if i woild buy into that.

Expanding the universe is a smart move and gives the IP a very bright future. Delighted as it is easily my most played (possibly my favourite) game of this console generation.

I am wondering though how they are going to make money off it. I've only played a few games but so far I see absolutely no incentive to buy anything. FPS means there is no point buying skins that you can't even see. I'm guessing we will be getting battlepasses with challenges which should beef up the game a bit.

And if this is a game as a service lile fortnite I wouldn't rule out seeing jet packs and Titans at some stage :-) Even temporarily. They've got to give the community something to get excited about.
[Quote] [Thank]
Grumpypants 07:46 05-02-2019
A million players in under 8 hours. That's some going. Hopefully it sustains as they are a talented studio.
[Quote] [Thank]
gimli2112 07:53 05-02-2019
Been working on it for two years in secret, no marketing and just launched out of nowhere.
I don't get BR games but this has me interested.
[Quote] [Thank]
BeerWolf 08:22 05-02-2019
Another one hopping on the Battle Royal bandwagon.

Well, **** that.
[Quote] [Thank]
Kiith 08:58 05-02-2019
Seems like it's lost everything i loved about Titanfall (titans and wall running). Probably a fine BR game, and i'll give it a go, but don't expect to play it for long.
[Quote] [Thank]
Mickeroo 09:08 05-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
Seems like a lot of fun the couple of hours I played. A lot easier to just pick up and play than PUBG and no ****e building mechanics to put up with like fortnite. The squad/class based system gives it its own dimension too. Doesn't really feel like Titanfall though, leaving out the wall running was an odd move.
[Quote] [Thank]
ZiabR 09:13 05-02-2019
Not played it yet but I did watch some Twitch last night. It does look fresh and interesting. I may have to give it a try.
[Quote] [Thank]
Dcully 09:21 05-02-2019
Was looking forward to titanfall 3, respawn make great fps games but a BR game no thanks.
[Quote] [Thank]
Mr Grumble 09:53 05-02-2019 (4 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Dcully:
Was looking forward to titanfall 3, respawn make great fps games but a BR game no thanks.
Why is that? Bit of an odd statement, what is it about BR that makes you not want to play a great fps? And for free?!
[Quote] [Thank]
johnny_ultimate 10:16 05-02-2019
To be fair, Titanfall 3 was never announced anyway. This was released with its own name, clearly to separate it from the mainline series. They’ve been completely forthcoming about that.

And sure TF2 still exists anyway, and is wonderful. This game doesn’t change that :)
[Quote] [Thank]
Dcully 10:21 05-02-2019 (3 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Mr Grumble:
Why is that? Bit of an odd statement, what is it about BR that makes you not want to play a great fps? And for free?!
Odd statement how?
I just dont enjoy the genre simple really, not everyone enjoys BR.
[Quote] [Thank]
Grumpypants 10:22 05-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
He doesn't like having fun :P
[Quote] [Thank]
Dcully 10:25 05-02-2019
Im having tonnes of fun with other genres :)

Originally Posted by :
And sure TF2 still exists anyway, and is wonderful. This game doesn’t change that
Its pretty much dead on PC.
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 1 of 32
1 2311 > Last »

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet