boards.ie Mobile
Page 1 of 30
1 2311 > Last »
After Hours>Harsh sentence
Dante7 21:40 05-02-2019
This sentence seems very harsh for the offence of drunkenly climbing into bed with someone and feeling them up. Other judges have given lesser sentences for anally raping children.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/...-37786159.html
[Quote] [Thank]
SCOOP 64 21:46 05-02-2019
Wonder if the marriage is still on with his fiancee ?
[Quote] [Thank]
Srameen 21:55 05-02-2019 (101 Thanks)
More a case of other sentencing being too lenient than this being too harsh.
[Quote] [Thank]
colm_mcm 21:59 05-02-2019 (28 Thanks)
Originally Posted by :
A taxi driver has being jailed for one year
Top journalism there.
[Quote] [Thank]
TomSweeney 21:59 05-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
Hmm dunno, if he genuinely thought it was his fiances bed then yeah, seems very harsh.
[Quote] [Thank]
SEPT 23 1989 22:01 05-02-2019 (38 Thanks)
Would it have gone this far if some drunk aul one got into bed with a bloke and did the same?
[Quote] [Thank]
Dante7 22:03 05-02-2019 (23 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Srameen:
More a case of other sentencing being too lenient than this being too harsh.
Really? You think that drunkenly getting into bed with a woman and touching her vagina warrants a two and a half year sentence? It's a scummy thing to do and warrants some sort of sanction, probably a caution. But a two and a half year sentence with a year inside and labelled a sex offender for life?
[Quote] [Thank]
nullzero 22:04 05-02-2019 (6 Thanks)
Originally Posted by SEPT 23 1989:
Would it have gone this far if some drunk aul one got into bed with a bloke and did the same?
Of course not, he'd be lucky to have a woman touch his flute, girls will be girls,no harm done.

You get the distinct impression that were he a solicitor from Blackrock and not a taxi driver from tallaght he probably wouldn't be getting a custodial sentence.
[Quote] [Thank]
corner of hells 22:04 05-02-2019 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Dante7:
Really? You think that drunkenly getting into bed with a woman and touching her vagina warrants a two and a half year sentence? It's a scummy thing to do and warrants some sort of sanction, probably a caution. But a two and a half year sentence with a year inside and labelled a sex offender for life?
What do you think yourself ?

What sentence would be appropriate ?
[Quote] [Thank]
frag420 22:05 05-02-2019 (2 Thanks)
Damn it, saw the title and thought to myself any sentence with the word c*nt in it is usually pretty harsh...then I read the op!?
[Quote] [Thank]
nullzero 22:06 05-02-2019 (5 Thanks)
Originally Posted by corner of hells:

Something thats in line with the scores of violent repeat offenders being allowed to walk out of court for much more serious crimes would be a start.
[Quote] [Thank]
368100 22:07 05-02-2019 (7 Thanks)
I guess it comes down to whether he genuinely thought it was his girlfriend or not. Very harsh sentence and I feel sorry for him if he did think it was his GF
[Quote] [Thank]
Dante7 22:08 05-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by corner of hells:

I mentioned it in my post that you quoted. A caution would have sufficed on the legal side.
[Quote] [Thank]
Vic_08 22:12 05-02-2019 (20 Thanks)
Yes, that sounds right to me.

I'm sick of this "it's grand, I was drunk" excuse. The assault on the victim was just as real as if the assailant was sober.

A caution for a sexual assault, that would be nothing but a slap in the face for the victim.

Did you even read the article before passing opinion? Sure he hadn't even admitted he did anything wrong. Mistakenly doing something illegal is still illegal and the poor attitude afterwards brings the idea that it really was a mistake into even more doubt than would already be solely based on his say so.

Originally Posted by :
Judge Elma Sheahan said that Doran's failure to acknowledge his wrongdoing raised a question as to the level of insight he has into his offending.

She noted that Ms Powers viewed Doran as a brother and the offence was an abuse of this trust. Ms Powers told the court that the assault left her traumatised.

“I trusted you like a brother. My life was derailed. I felt so lost after. I felt abandoned and betrayed,” she said. She said she was terrified during the assault and was tormented by the memory of it.

[Quote] [Thank]
corner of hells 22:18 05-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
I mentioned it in my post that you quoted. A caution would have sufficed on the legal side.
Can a caution be given for that type of offence and if a caution is being given , does it mean the offender admits guilt ?
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 1 of 30
1 2311 > Last »

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet