boards.ie Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 23 > Last »
Motors>Poverty spec?
swarlb 08:56 12-02-2019
There has been a lot of talk on here about 'poverty spec' and 'paddy spec' cars. So, in current climate, what exactly constitutes 'poverty' or 'paddy' spec.
If I think of poverty, I tend to associate it with having 'nothing'... so as an example a car with decent cloth upholstery as opposed to leather does not equate to 'poverty' if the model in question does not have a leather option available.
It should mean that one model comes with absolutely 'nothing', no radio, no Bluetooth, no central locking, doors that open using by sticking the key in the lock, rubber carpets, only one external mirror, no rear wipers etc etc..

Is there such a thing as a car with 'poverty' spec ?? And I don't mean picking some model that ceased production decades ago, or anecdotal stories about cars with wicker work chairs held in place by pop rivets.
[Quote] [Thank]
Del2005 09:05 12-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
If a car does not come with a leather seat option its a poverty spec car.
[Quote] [Thank]
swarlb 09:13 12-02-2019 (3 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Del2005:
If a car does not come with a leather seat option its a poverty spec car.
I completely disagree, as you could order a top of the range Tesla or Range Rover for example, and not order leather yet get every other option available. I'm talking about cars that come with NOTHING as standard, with no options available.
Personally, I don't think there is one.
[Quote] [Thank]
hi5 09:14 12-02-2019 (30 Thanks)
A poverty spec car is the base model of a range that doesn't have any of the option boxes ticked.
What's provided as standard with the base model can vary from manufacture to manufacture.
[Quote] [Thank]
mickdw 09:25 12-02-2019 (7 Thanks)
Get the cheapest dacia you can find and you should be pretty close.
[Quote] [Thank]
BrownFinger 09:36 12-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
No passenger sun visor
[Quote] [Thank]
NIMAN 09:37 12-02-2019 (25 Thanks)
Originally Posted by mickdw:
Get the cheapest dacia you can find and you should be pretty close.
Or high end Dacia;)
[Quote] [Thank]
zilog_jones 09:38 12-02-2019 (2 Thanks)
Look at the cheapest rental cars. I was surprised to see keep-fit windows in the rear of a '18 Fiesta.

I doubt you could get something without central locking or no passenger side mirror these days.
[Quote] [Thank]
MarcusP12 09:42 12-02-2019 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by hi5:
A poverty spec car is the base model of a range that doesn't have any of the option boxes ticked.
What's provided as standard with the base model can vary from manufacture to manufacture.
This is all you need to know above.....

I think its a term that's synonymous with premium German motors back in the day whereby there has been an obsession with simply having the badge rather than any of the extra comforts that come with them at a cost, i.e. they'd rather go entry level for not much more than say the top spec Mondeo or passat so that they can say I drive a beemer or merc for example.

It's why a lot of people go for UK imports as they tend to come with a lot of optional extras. For example I picked up a UK import 5 series MSport which came with reversing cameras, pro sat nav, HK stereo and adaptive dampers. You'd do well to pick up an irish car as well spec'ed. But then, you'd hardly call the standard spec MSport, "poverty spec" any more so its probably a bit of an outdated term.....

I personally think its a term that's no longer relevant in the spirit it was originally intended. Premium motors no longer carry the allure they used to and even so, base level specs are decent these days.

Maybe manufacturers have copped on to this with their trim levels. Seems to be much more variety these days with trim levels compared to years ago, especially with premium german cars. Maybe they realized through research that people were much more willing to pay a reasonable premium for a higher level of trim rather than pay for "extras" against the standard car, i.e. you know straight away what you're paying rather than going through a tick list of items and getting a shock when you see the bottom line figure. Just a theory......
[Quote] [Thank]
swarlb 09:42 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by hi5:
Some manufacturers have provided models that came with a myriad of 'standard' features, with options such a leather, or panoramic sunroof for example, as 'options'. So in essence the base model was far from poverty ridden.
What I'm trying to tease out here, is the quote often used that such and such is 'paddy spec' where in actual fact the cars in question are very well equipped, just not to the liking of the few.
[Quote] [Thank]
NIMAN 09:43 12-02-2019
It seems to be a fading concept?

More Irish cars are coming with a lot more standard equipment than they used to. Its probably to compete with UK imports etc.
[Quote] [Thank]
kooga 09:47 12-02-2019
I was looking at the new Peugeot Ritter - did a comparison with the uk spec Ritter initially all looked good same trims in the roi as uk but when I enquired about the gt line spec was told that the sunroof which is standard on the uk model is not standard here nor is it available as an option - even though I had the option code the dealer said it couldn’t be specced - no satisfactory explanation given
[Quote] [Thank]
zilog_jones 09:52 12-02-2019
Yeah, there are still a lot of cars that are worse spec here than their UK equivalents, probably because of the expense of VRT. Not to the same extent as in the past in that the baseline is higher, but there is still a gap.
[Quote] [Thank]
fancy pigeon 09:55 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by MarcusP12:
This is all you need to know above.....

I think its a term that's synonymous with premium German motors back in the day whereby there has been an obsession with simply having the badge rather than any of the extra comforts that come with them at a cost, i.e. they'd rather go entry level for not much more than say the top spec Mondeo or passat so that they can say I drive a beemer or merc for example.
I have a 95 C220 D. It has windy windows all round, orange indicators and steel wheels

I can't imagine a modern C class appearing with the same spec as my one!
[Quote] [Thank]
Mitch Connor 09:55 12-02-2019 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by swarlb:
I completely disagree, as you could order a top of the range Tesla or Range Rover for example, and not order leather yet get every other option available. I'm talking about cars that come with NOTHING as standard, with no options available.
Personally, I don't think there is one.
Then they come with a leather seat option, so do not fall into the poverty spec category the poster is talking about.

They said if there isn't the OPTION for leather seats - not that you simply don't select them.
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 1 of 5
1 23 > Last »

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet