Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Basq wrote: »
    If you've no connection for a solid half hour, what else are you meant to do?

EDIT: Short disconnection seems fine: http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Broadband-Setup-Connection/reboot-during-initial-testing-first-10-days/td-p/306895

Since I'm not yet a sky broadband customer I don't know what the router settings are like but what I would have looked for is a way to reset the adsl line instead. The sooner they start selling broadband again the better because I'll be switching asap

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Since I'm not yet a sky broadband customer I don't know what the router settings are like but what I would have looked for is a way to reset the adsl line instead. The sooner they start selling broadband again the better because I'll be switching asap

Is resetting the ADSL line something that the customer/end-user can do or is this someting that is done from the ISP end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

BrianHal wrote: »
    Is resetting the ADSL line something that the customer/end-user can do or is this someting that is done from the ISP end?

I've been able to do it on zyxel routers in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

how much have ye guys being downloading since it went live??

naughto wrote: »
    how much have ye guys being downloading since it went live??

Just browsing really, I haven't actually downloaded anything apart from maybe a podcast as my PC isn't connected to the router yet. I'm waiting for new (replacement) HomePlug devices to arrive, hopefully tomorrow some time.

• Advertisement

i have this on my account under connection details

Your Connection Details

Line testing is not currently in progress on your telephone line.

We continually look for ways to improve the quality of your broadband connection. Please check back here for updates.

i thought they would be testing the line for 10 days mine went live on the 24th

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

They specifically tell you NOT to contact your previous provider. That's automatically taken care of when you switch. If you phone your previous provider to cancel then they can cancel the line and you'll have a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

They specifically tell you NOT to contact your previous provider. That's automatically taken care of when you switch. If you phone your previoud provider to cancel then they can cancel the line and you'll have a lot of hassle.

That's all well and good and I initially let it play out that way but I have been in contact with both companies since my Broadband went live with Sky and when I informed them that Vodafone hadn't cancelled my broadband they said they had a lot of complaints about th same. Sky said they sent the request on my behalf along with the line and calls switch. If I didn't contact Vodafaone I'd be getting billed by two providers.

I would encourage anyone who is doubt about the switch over when your Sky account goes live to contact their original provider to make sure you have been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Actually - I'd be wary about using the term "cancel" to anyone in VF until I was sure both my broadband and phone was switched over to Sky..

.. popped a message over on the VF helpdesk but will retain from letting them know my account details until I see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

adox wrote: »
    That's all well and good and I initially let it play out that way but I have been in contact with both companies since my Broadband went live with Sky and when I informed them that Vodafone hadn't cancelled my broadband they said they had a lot of complaints about th same. Sky said they sent the request on my behalf along with the line and calls switch. If I didn't contact Vodafaone I'd be getting billed by two providers.

I would encourage anyone who is doubt about the switch over when your Sky account goes live to contact their original provider to make sure you have been cancelled.

When is your activation date on the letter that came with your modem?

• Advertisement

When is your activation date on the letter that came with your modem?

My activation date was the 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

When I was signing up for this the Sky rep told me not to contact VF as they (Sky) were taking care of it. I told her that I had asked the question about giving notice to VF (when out of contract) here on their talk to forum and that VF said I had to give 30 days notice. She told me that was not correct as this didnt apply when simply changing providers. In fairness one of the VF reps has more or less admitted that here but still advised people to contact them and cancel. I cant understand this as you either give notice or not and a VF rep "advising" people to cancel is a bit shady to say the least.

The other thing the Sky rep mentioned was (in relation to calls I think) that if I contacted VF before Sky had me set up I could be cut off immediately and I could be without the service until such time as Sky had me up and running.

Food for thought.

muffler wrote: »
    The other thing the Sky rep mentioned was (in relation to calls I think) that if I contacted VF before Sky had me set up I could be cut off immediately and I could be without the service until such time as Sky had me up and running.

Food for thought.
    ^ Yeah.. that's the exact reason I'm with-holding my account details from Vodafone until I see how all this plays out.

I also asked Sky when onto them about to having to contact Vodafone, and they told me they'd take care of that.

I'm a little wary that both the Sky and Vodafone broadband service are working on my line.. but hey-ho!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thats the way it should work. Similar to changing mobile networks. Eircom, in particular, are acting the clown with their demand for 30 days notice to "port".

^ Yeah.. that's the exact reason I'm with-holding my account details from Vodafone until I see how all this plays out.

I also asked Sky when onto them about to having to contact Vodafone, and they told me they'd take care of that.

I'm a little wary that both the Sky and Vodafone broadband service are working on my line.. but hey-ho!

You will not be activated until 30th. So your speeds could be all over the shop. I'm in the same boat as you, so I stuck the Sky box on yesterday morning. With Voda I get 5.8mbs to 6.2mbs. With Sky I get a constant 6.4. I was told by Sky that my line is good for 24mbs. I would be ecstatic if I go into double figures. I dont expect to see any improvement until well after I'm officially activated.

All I'm saying to people is to keep an eye on your accounts. For me I followed Sky's advice and didnt contact Vodafone at all. When I switched my hub on, the day after my activation date, my Vodafone broadband was still live.

It was only 3 days after this that I decided to contact Vodafone about billing me up until the middle of next month and it was only then that I found out that the broadband was still live and would remain live. If I hadn't of contacted them they would still be billing me. I got on to Sky to complain as they had told me they would take care of it all but obviously didnt, although they did say that they instructed Vodafone to switch everything so the fault was with Vodafone, just the sort of mess I had hoped not to get involved in.

I certainly would agree to leave everything be until you are sure you are switched to Sky but I wouldn't take it as a given that everything with you old provider has been cancelled and unfortunately it seems no one will tell, you have to pursue it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thankfully all calls to Sky and the likes are recorded and the law allows us to obtain the transcripts of those calls so in the unlikely event of me getting double billed I know who to contact first ;)

I'd be getting back to Sky if my Voda account was still alive. If they want my business they should ensure that everything is operating smoothly, especially as they have advised that they will look after all aspects of the transfer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I havent contacted eircom about my cancellation but i got an email to say i can no longer access eircom music hub as im either in another country or cancelled.

Im guessing sky have indeed cancelled for me, music hub is the lol tbh, no loss at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

So the introductory deal is over all in for €21.50 or whatever it was?
    How much is it to join Sky broadband with phone and tv package when my contract runs out with Vodafone?

• Advertisement

kleefarr wrote: »
    So the introductory deal is over all in for €21.50 or whatever it was?
    How much is it to join Sky broadband with phone and tv package when my contract runs out with Vodafone?

Sky not launching nationally until April.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

That's ok, my contract doesn't run out with Vodafone until October I think. Plenty of time to find out I suppose. :(

i dident contact vd at all just signed up to sky when they/i rang them about the offer.it said on the register your interest site if you where out of contract and i said that i way.

i had checked with a vd rep on here a few months ago to see when i was out of contract.
    when i got my hub i pluged it in that night and it was live,left it on that night but in the morning i pluged in the vd router as well to see if it would work and it did,so i had sky and vd both active on my line.

pluged out the vd router and left in the sky hub its being on since.
    i then loged to my vd account to see what the story is it was still active and
    my download allowlance and all the other crap was still ther.
    loged in yesterday 3 days after i went live with sky and all the details on the vd site where gone.

i went back through some of he post that i had with a vd rep when i signed up and this was the reading i was getting

ModulationType: G.DMT
    Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 5120 5120
    MaxRate(kbps) 13129 280
    NoiseMargin(dB) 24.0 17.7
    Attenuation(dB) 45.0 26.0
    Power(dBm) 12.2 19.8

this was back in 2010 i wonder i be able to reach the max rate with sky hes hoping.

Sky Hub wireless is definitely on the mediocre side..

Went to watch something on Apple TV in bedroom last night - bedroom is more or less top of the stairs, Sky Hub is at bottom of the stairs - after 30 seconds into a video (far from HD - 250MB MP4 file):

Buffering.. plays for 5 seconds.. buffering..

Never had any hassle with my old silver Netopia box (Eircom branded - 3347W?).

Shame as it works fine on Smart TV in sitting room (Sky Hub outside door).

3 options now:

1) WiFi Extender
    2) Homeplugs
    3) Put back in Netopia router after 10 days when testing period is up; http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1625478

Sky Hub wireless is definitely on the mediocre side..

Went to watch something on Apple TV in bedroom last night - bedroom is more or less top of the stairs, Sky Hub is at bottom of the stairs - after 30 seconds into a video (far from HD - 250MB MP4 file):

Buffering.. plays for 5 seconds.. buffering..

Never had any hassle with my old silver Netopia box (Eircom branded - 3347W?).

Shame as it works fine on Smart TV in sitting room (Sky Hub outside door).

3 options now:

1) WiFi Extender
    2) Homeplugs
    3) Put back in Netopia router after 10 days when testing period is up; http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1625478

Apparently capable of 500mbps but that seems a bit much. Even if you got 20% of that you should be able to watch streaming TV in your home. http://www.dabs.ie/products/zyxel-pla4201-500mbps-mini-powerline-ethernet-adaptor-twin-pack-83VC.html?src=3

BrianHal wrote: »
    Apparently capable of 500mbps but that seems a bit much. Even if you got 20% of that you should be able to watch streaming TV in your home. http://www.dabs.ie/products/zyxel-pla4201-500mbps-mini-powerline-ethernet-adaptor-twin-pack-83VC.html?src=3
    From a quick look around AVForums and Sky forums, the Sky Hub is notorious for poor wireless speeds.

Have an old Belkin Wireless Bridge that I might install this evening... see if that makes any difference.

If no luck with that - the problem with getting Homeplugs is I've a few devices upstairs that use wireless (an Apple TV, a Dell Hybrid PC) as well as a few iPod's / iPhones that are regularly on upstairs and using Spotify through a dock... wonder would a WiFi extender be a better shout as I've a socket at the half way point between the router and the bedroom.

From a quick look around AVForums and Sky forums, the Sky Hub is notorious for poor wireless speeds.

Have an old Belkin Wireless Bridge that I might install this evening... see if that makes any difference.

If no luck with that - the problem with getting Homeplugs is I've a few devices upstairs that use wireless (an Apple TV, a Dell Hybrid PC) as well as a few iPod's / iPhones that are regularly on upstairs and using Spotify through a dock... wonder would a WiFi extender be a better shout as I've a socket at the half way point between the router and the bedroom.

If you already have the equipment needed and you have a few wireless devices then its a bit of a no brainer by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Activation date 24th

Still no fricking service!!

Büllshït

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

lol, I am just after getting an email from sky saying my service is now active (today).

So in summary:

Signed up on 16th.
    Switching phoneline and broadband from Vodafone.
    Got welcome letter last week.
    Email today saying sky line and broadband is now active - but I presume that means it will be activated before 10 pm tonight (or in next few days in rare cases).
    No sign of hub, no email about hub dispatch or anything.
    Vodafone broadband is still working this morning, but has been patchy and regularly dropping connections since signing up to Sky, it's as if Vodafone is saying eff you too. :)

PS: MySky shows 'your broadband is now active', and 'currently processing your order'.

Advertisement