Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Ohh cool, that sounds good- always thought night rate meant significantly higher day rate, never realised it was only a cent so will look at switching.

Checked out the Ioniq today, very impressed, still some concerns about boot space but we're going to do an overnight this week. Seems like range wise it's a good fit for the driving we do and running cost will save a lot vs our 2l diesel!

You need to look at bonkers.ie and shop around and read the small print
    This is my deal from energia

Summary of your Switch to Energia
    Supplier: Energia
    Tariff: Clever Electricity (Web Exclusive 33%)
    Unit Rate:
    12.23 (ex VAT) (day) 13.88 (inc VAT)
    and
    5.86 (ex VAT) (night) / 6.65 (inc VAT) cent per kWh
    Annual Standing Charge €174.44 (ex VAT) €197.99 (inc VAT)

there is a monthly limit on the day and night units at these rates, but they are well outside my usage so no issue

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Was one of ye guys stuck at Junction 14 services today? Pulled up and seen a 171 C Ioniq parked at the charge point and was telling the missus how I thought they were a great option, trying to sell the idea to her even... Came back out and the AA were looking at the car. Seemed to me like they couldn't remove the charge cable from the car.

Hope it wasn't too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Was one of ye guys stuck at Junction 14 services today? Pulled up and seen a 171 C Ioniq parked at the charge point and was telling the missus how I thought they were a great option, trying to sell the idea to her even... Came back out and the AA were looking at the car. Seemed to me like they couldn't remove the charge cable from the car.

Hope it wasn't too serious.

Wasn't me but it's happened to me before a number of times. There's a cable release under the boot floor to manually release the cable. On two occasions the manual cable release still didn't release the cable and I had to keep locking and unlocking the car to get the cable to release.

I'm keeping an eye on it, hopefully some software glitch although I read on one forum that one guy got the entire port/cable locking mechanism replaced by the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Ballylad wrote: »
    Hi, getting Ioniq in couple of weeks, did the 24hr test drive a while back, have been reading relevant posts regarding same on boards. Can someone that has been driving Ioniq a while explain to me what is best way to use the regenerative braking, i understand you have 3 different levels;
    Which is best one for eco driving mode?
    Should you use paddle to change level regularly while driving?
    Do you try to brake using just the regenerative braking at junctions etc?
    Is the most severe level practical in terms of every day mixed driving (urban, short trips)?
    Any advice much appreciated thnks

I agree to what Mad_Lad said and not only him. Drive the car as you would drive normal car. You will automatically start noticing that your behavior will change on the road! ;]
    Personally I just got used to 1 pedal driving so much, that when I switch to 0 regen it just annoys me how much I need to brake each time because car rolls Sooooo good. Feels like no friction is there at all! I drive always on Regen 2 (M1 -> M50 -> Tallaght and back mainly). Just love the fact that I barely need to touch the break pedal :-)

I might switch back to Regen 0 one day, just to change things around, but 1 pedal driving is very pleasing :)

oh, one advise - Regen 0 is, what I think, a must on Motorway driving (if you are not using Cruise Control)

BTW. Was driving past Claytown hotel, just of M1 roundabout over M50, where Topaz is. That FCP is terrible! Never seen one of those before. Much slower than one in Turvey, Donabate. Connected only from second attempt and was pulling only 31kW so I just left and charged at home instead.
    Good to test different FCPs anyway, but Im not going there again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Really enjoying the time with Ioniq so need to have a think about whether to bite the bullet in the next few days.

Did anyone go for leather interior?
    Is it just the model I was driving or are the brakes a little sluggish? (Weight of battery etc affecting stopping power?)
    The speaker phone in the car is echo-y for the other person who has called- has anyone else experienced this?

Driving it today range is way less of an issue than I expected, space for baby's buggy, shopping, etc. is the main concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

May have just been the model you had. Brakes have always felt fine for me, depending on how you have the regen set also. The AEB has activated once or twice for me too in emergencies, stopped the bloody thing on a dime.

Haven't had any issues with the speaker phone, have used it quite a bit, and it's probably the best I've ever had to be honest.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,841 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I guess it depends a lot on what cars you had before. To me the brakes are sluggish and poor and the handling of the car is very poor under hard acceleration while steering at a steep angle. If you are coming from other cars from Japan / Korea or I suppose any budget family size FWD car, it's par for the course. I'm coming from mainly BMWs so the driving / braking of the Ioniq is very poor compared to those cars.

There's a whopping 90 Kw of regen + friction brakes, doubt braking should be an issue.

Really enjoying the time with Ioniq so need to have a think about whether to bite the bullet in the next few days.

Would you knowing there's more range on the way and a new Leaf ?
    Driving it today range is way less of an issue than I expected, space for baby's buggy, shopping, etc. is the main concern.

Yeah the boot isn't so good like the Leaf or most hatches. I'd love an estate or 7 seater EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,841 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You obviously don't appreciate the issue. If you'd owned higher end drivers cars like most BMWs, you'd understand what I'm talking about. Ioniq is a grand family size car but driving and braking performance are only just about adequate for me. And if I didn't still have my boxer 6 cylinder petrol n/a Porsche, I'd probably regret having gone for an ev

• Advertisement

The breaks issue isn't major and they have no problem stopping the car just compared to what I'm used to it felt a little less responsive. Good to hear that the speaker phone is grand, probably just the demo model getting messed around with. It's looking likely that it'll be our next car!

unkel wrote: »
    You obviously don't appreciate the issue. If you'd owned higher end drivers cars like most BMWs, you'd understand what I'm talking about. Ioniq is a grand family size car but driving and braking performance are only just about adequate for me. And if I didn't still have my boxer 6 cylinder petrol n/a Porsche, I'd probably regret having gone for an ev

Eah, the braking is plenty adequate for the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Did anyone go for leather interior?
    Is it just the model I was driving or are the brakes a little sluggish? (Weight of battery etc affecting stopping power?)
    The speaker phone in the car is echo-y for the other person who has called- has anyone else experienced this?

I went for the leather, it makes a huge difference for me.

I believe there's a known issue for echo for the person on the other end when using Apple Car Play -- not sure if it's been fixed yet though.

Haven't had any issues with braking, but steering is certainly quite light, particularly at high speed.

Did anyone go Aurora Silver? I like the look of the sample but would like to see it on an actual car.

Back in the diesel today and I think that makes my mind up- the Ioniq is streets ahead in terms of comfort.

Regarding a longer range Ioniq and leaf I think unless it's an achievable range of 350km then it wouldn't make a huge difference.

Model 3 looks amazing but I'd expect a big price tag!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Wasn't me but it's happened to me before a number of times. There's a cable release under the boot floor to manually release the cable. On two occasions the manual cable release still didn't release the cable and I had to keep locking and unlocking the car to get the cable to release.

I'm keeping an eye on it, hopefully some software glitch although I read on one forum that one guy got the entire port/cable locking mechanism replaced by the dealer.

+1, this has been happening to me. I've been trying to work out if it is some sequencing with how I lock / unlock the car (or have the boot open, ignition on, etc.) when I am finished charging. Was stuck for about 20 mins one day. Has happened to me on eCar chargers and my work chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Did anyone go Aurora Silver? I like the look of the sample but would like to see it on an actual car.

Back in the diesel today and I think that makes my mind up- the Ioniq is streets ahead in terms of comfort.

Regarding a longer range Ioniq and leaf I think unless it's an achievable range of 350km then it wouldn't make a huge difference.

I think the general view is that next iteration. Will be 300-350 km leaf or Ioniq

Personally I don't see the point unless the price differential is small. I certainly won't pay a big premium to get 350 km

Yes, the more range you have the better, even 50 Km more is much better.

Greater independence of the public charging network is always going to be better just remember , now that longer range electrics such as the Zoe are available , fast charge times will double to 80% so you need to have as much range as you can afford.

Being an EV owner for 2 years 6 months I'm in a pretty good position to advise people that more range is far better than waiting up to an hour for someone at a fast charger or having to take the Naas exit off the N7 and waiting up to 30 mins to get to the Tesco charge point then wait for someone to charge then wait for me to charge, I got to tell you, it gets old very quickly !!!!! It's like I advise people about getting the 6.6 Kw charger in the Leaf, it's far better to have it than curse yourself after for not getting it !

Unfortunately Renault never increased charging power for the 40 Kwh which is ridiculous but in fairness to Zoe it's 22 Kw charger is fantastic on AC, It makes a big difference but not if you are on a very long trip up to 200 Kms at 120 odd Kph or up to 280 Kms maybe at 90-100 Kph.

We're at this stage now where it's just too close to buy now, unless you would want the Zoe 40 Kwh.

Yes, the more range you have the better, even 50 Km more is much better.

Greater independence of the public charging network is always going to be better just remember , now that longer range electrics such as the Zoe are available , fast charge times will double to 80% so you need to have as much range as you can afford.

Being an EV owner for 2 years 6 months I'm in a pretty good position to advise people that more range is far better than waiting up to an hour for someone at a fast charger or having to take the Naas exit off the N7 and waiting up to 30 mins to get to the Tesco charge point then wait for someone to charge then wait for me to charge, I got to tell you, it gets old very quickly !!!!! It's like I advise people about getting the 6.6 Kw charger in the Leaf, it's far better to have it than curse yourself after for not getting it !

Unfortunately Renault never increased charging power for the 40 Kwh which is ridiculous but in fairness to Zoe it's 22 Kw charger is fantastic on AC, It makes a big difference but not if you are on a very long trip up to 200 Kms at 120 odd Kph or up to 280 Kms maybe at 90-100 Kph.

We're at this stage now where it's just too close to buy now, unless you would want the Zoe 40 Kwh.

More range at the same price is always better

More range at an increased price is not always better , you need to evaluate price versus need

For example I would pay a small lift in price to get say 50-100km more range. I would not pay any appreciable rise to get 400 km since I have very little normal use that requires that range

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Had a test drive in one a last week and was very impressed . Pity they aren't doing the higher spec ones here. Seat fabric was the only thing I didn't like about the interior. Considering changing my car and the savings moving to an EV make it very tempting. It's just a little bit small for me though. Really need a proper D segment size estate that can sit 5 in comfort.

Need to be able to fit a towbar for a bike rack too. Seems to be coming for the ioniq
    http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/313-exterior/3049-bicycle-rack-7.html
    brink seem to have one just for bike racks but it doesn't have type approval yet and some suggestion that the car will have to specced from factory to take one.

Towbar is modified so it can't tow but it also means some bike racks won't fit
    rmc-kit-brink-branded.jpg

I would consider the 27 ish K for a 40 Kwh Zoe to be reasonable, but obviously not for those who would otherwise buy a petrol Clio costing 15K, we're at least 8 years away from that kind of price.

But for anyone like myself doing high mileage and coming from a 24 Kwh Leaf, this is a major jump in range for the same cost as the 24 Kwh SVE Leaf back in 2015.

Sure I know you need to take the cost into consideration, but as I said , we're too close now to the release of a higher range Ioniq and Leaf II to buy new now. Even 40 Kwh is a good upgrade.

• Advertisement

Installing a towbar might void your warranty.

I would consider the 27 ish K for a 40 Kwh Zoe to be reasonable, but obviously not for those who would otherwise buy a petrol Clio costing 15K, we're at least 8 years away from that kind of price.

But for anyone like myself doing high mileage and coming from a 24 Kwh Leaf, this is a major jump in range for the same cost as the 24 Kwh SVE Leaf back in 2015.

Sure I know you need to take the cost into consideration, but as I said , we're too close now to the release of a higher range Ioniq and Leaf II to buy new now. Even 40 Kwh is a good upgrade.

The Zoe however is a very small car compared to the Leaf and also the Ioniq

we are not comparing like with like here, merely evaluating range, but range is not the only thing to be considered in a EV purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 21,446 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Comparing a Zoe to an Ioniq is like comparing a fiesta to a mondeo and saying Oh look the fiesta is more efficient!

Looking at an Ioniq on the road next month for approx €20k after scrappage and selling our own seems like a better deal than waiting 6 months to see what Leaf 2 or the longer range Ioniq might be. And then the model 3 will probably be just under a year away so may as well not buy until that's out but who knows what other manufacturers will be bringing out as competition around then so maybe wait until 2020 is the answer?

Or buy something now that suits in terms of range for all but 5-6 trips a year and utilise the FCP network on those trips (We stop for about an hour on any greater than 2 hour trips anyway) then evaluate in about 3 years to see where the market is at. As mentioned previously the boot space is the biggest issue in terms of practicality, range faded away once we realised how little distance we do even on a day where we're busy.

Looking at an Ioniq on the road next month for approx €20k after scrappage and selling our own seems like a better deal than waiting 6 months to see what Leaf 2 or the longer range Ioniq might be. And then the model 3 will probably be just under a year away so may as well not buy until that's out but who knows what other manufacturers will be bringing out as competition around then so maybe wait until 2020 is the answer?

Or buy something now that suits in terms of range for all but 5-6 trips a year and utilise the FCP network on those trips (We stop for about an hour on any greater than 2 hour trips anyway) then evaluate in about 3 years to see where the market is at. As mentioned previously the boot space is the biggest issue in terms of practicality, range faded away once we realised how little distance we do even on a day where we're busy.

absolutely , as with all technology, waiting for the " next great thing " , is ridiculous and you'll wait forever in many cases. If it suits for your needs today , that buy it

20K seems a very good deal even with scrappage , how'd you manage that

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

ELM327 wrote: »
    Comparing a Zoe to an Ioniq is like comparing a fiesta to a mondeo and saying Oh look the fiesta is more efficient!

And, will all respect, Zoe and Leaf are both so ugly looking cars...

Fermi wrote: »
    And, will all respect, Zoe and Leaf are both so ugly looking cars...

The Ioniq is no great looker either, with that front cover etc

personally I like the Leaf from all angles except three quarter rear

The Ioniq looks far to like a huge range of econoboxes, and is identical to the petrol one, bah

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

BoatMad wrote: »
    The Ioniq is no great looker either, with that front cover etc

personally I like the Leaf from all angles except three quarter rear

The Ioniq looks far to like a huge range of econoboxes, and is identical to the petrol one, bah

I suppose it comes down to personal preference, I also do not like the front cover on the Ioniq, but the looks of Leaf is one of the main reason I went for Ioniq rather than Leaf... it looks like a big ugly frog from the front.

BoatMad wrote: »
    absolutely , as with all technology, waiting for the " next great thing " , is ridiculous and you'll wait forever in many cases. If it suits for your needs today , that buy it

20K seems a very good deal even with scrappage , how'd you manage that

Sorry, should have been clearer the €20k is after the €4,000 scrappage for a car we pick up and then about €5-6k from selling our own car privately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Looking at an Ioniq on the road next month for approx €20k after scrappage
    Sorry, should have been clearer the €20k is after the €4,000 scrappage for a car we pick up and then about €5-6k from selling our own car privately.

You made @unkel spit into his tea with that €20k OTR price!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement