Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Nvidia Shield

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

tonic wine wrote: »
    I went to order though paypal, but when i tried to input my PW shipping address, only ROI counties were available to select from.

..did you select United Kingdom as Country? Antrim appears underneath the English ones! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Shlippery wrote: »
    ..did you select United Kingdom as Country? Antrim appears underneath the English ones! :o

It appears under Northern Ireland lol
    Select uk and then scroll down

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

amazon warehouse deal 20% off.
    , i didnt order from nvidia as i had a voucher to use.

got the nvidia shield for 145, used the 30 giftcard i got on another thread that cost me 25, so shield cost £140 in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

I ordered at £159.99 but they cancelled my order. I can't seem to find out why either and their customer service seems crap. Just telling me to re-order but of course it's £189.99 now.

Anyone know if it's expected to be reduced anywhere at the end of this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Sparko

dave_t wrote: »
    I ordered at £159.99 but they cancelled my order. I can't seem to find out why either and their customer service seems crap. Just telling me to re-order but of course it's £189.99 now.

Anyone know if it's expected to be reduced anywhere at the end of this week?

I got a shipping notification earlier so I'm hoping mine will be ok. Used parcel motel and paid with Revolut, set my billing and delivery address to the PM address.

Not sure if it'll come down again this week, but I'd say keep an eye on here for any news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

It will use IR for the TV. The Shield uses bluetooth, wifi is so google assistant can talk to it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Elite-Remote-Control-Blue/dp/B014GXQOJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511093462&sr=8-1&keywords=harmony+elite
    Keep an eye on the sales, they do drop in price every so often

OK Google turn on the shield (I've added this as a shortcut instead of saying ask Harmony turn on the shield). The Tv turns on, changes to HDMI 1, the Shield turns on, the surround reciever turns on and sets itself to the Shield input. The remote then works for the Shield with the volume buttons controlling the receiver

Ok Google ask Harmony turn on Sky News and it changes the input on my reciever to my Amiko alien 2 Sat box and then after a few seconds changes to Sky News

Just want to make sure I understand, you have a function setup to turn on the shield, switch HDMI etc on the Harmony, which you trigger via GHome? So it's not possible to turn on the Shield directly with GHome without Harmony?

I'm interested in this setup, but not sure I could justify the cost of the Harmony :(

Also thanks for this, and everybody who posted, didn't know this stuff was possible and find it very interesting!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Benzino wrote: »
    Just want to make sure I understand, you have a function setup to turn on the shield, switch HDMI etc on the Harmony, which you trigger via GHome? So it's not possible to turn on the Shield directly with GHome without Harmony?

I'm interested in this setup, but not sure I could justify the cost of the Harmony :(

Also thanks for this, and everybody who posted, didn't know this stuff was possible and find it very interesting!

It depends on your TV. Some TV's power on automatically when the shield switches on, others don't and would thus need Harmony.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/05/can-now-turn-off-chromecast-connected-tv-google-home-command/

If you have a complicated setup like The high horse brigade and me, with multiple devices connected to an AV, then you would likely need the Harmony.

Otherwise if you have a simple setup of a shield TV connected directly to your TV with HDMI-CEC support, then it may work without Harmony, but no guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Sparko wrote: »
    I got a shipping notification earlier so I'm hoping mine will be ok. Used parcel motel and paid with Revolut, set my billing and delivery address to the PM address.

Not sure if it'll come down again this week, but I'd say keep an eye on here for any news.

PW delivered today. Happy days @ €181 all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Hdmi-cec etc is a pita, I've all turned off, I'll turn ye on when I want ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

Sparko wrote: »

Exactly how I ordered, PM and Revolut. You should be OK. I didn’t get a shipping notification. Can’t believe how poor their service is though, considering the issue seems to be their end and they have no interest in letting me re-order at the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

bk wrote: »
    It depends on your TV. Some TV's power on automatically when the shield switches on, others don't and would thus need Harmony.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/05/can-now-turn-off-chromecast-connected-tv-google-home-command/

If you have a complicated setup like The high horse brigade and me, with multiple devices connected to an AV, then you would likely need the Harmony.

Otherwise if you have a simple setup of a shield TV connected directly to your TV with HDMI-CEC support, then it may work without Harmony, but no guarantees.

Yeah my TV will switch automatically, I just wasn't sure if GHome could turn on/off the shield without the harmony. But reading that article, I see it can and confirmed it works with my current Sony TV via the chromecast. Very impressive!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Kuva wrote: »
    Hdmi-cec etc is a pita, I've all turned off, I'll turn ye on when I want ye.

Yes, that is why I use Harmony myself, but it can work well on newer TV's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

I ordered my direct at from Nvidia at 159.  I paid using prepaid debit card and PW.  They shipped it with parcelforce and the tracking number is attached to my order details.  30hrs later is sitting in belfast, should get delivered to PW today.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Getting mine from PW today! ordered from amazon.fr, €181 all in, not bad... feels like xmas!
    Have a Harmony Ultimate w/hub already, can anybody confirm if the Shield is already present as a device?
    Are there any good site/guides/videos on how to customize it meaning apps, sideloading, advanced settings?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

All, sorry as I am sure the answer is somewhere in the thread, but looking to know if you can install Mobdro and Showbox on this easily?

MICKEYG wrote: »
    All, sorry as I am sure the answer is somewhere in the thread, but looking to know if you can install Mobdro and Showbox on this easily?

Google will help you out but it looks easy done the instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Where's the cheapest place to buy a shield at the moment guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DGM

Hi all. I can't seem to find a direct answer on this: as a non-gamer, would the Nvidia Shield still be worth buying?

Many thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

DGM wrote: »
    Hi all. I can't seem to find a direct answer on this: as a non-gamer, would the Nvidia Shield still be worth buying?

Yes.

DGM wrote: »

Many thanks in advance.

I asked the same question and was told it’s worth buying
    Videos on it being used look very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I'm really tempted by one, just looks like a lovely bit of tech.

I already have a Fire TV box though which has any streaming app I need, PS4 and Switch for games and Ghomes for the Assistant. Can't really justify it just for having the Android TV skin as I have already covered all of the Shield's functionality above?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

I'm thinking of getting this for my husband this Christmas. We already have an mxq s905 box and the buffering/lag is pretty bad on it. Sky broadband is our provider. If we get the nvidia shield, will these issues be ironed out with it or does Sky "block/slow" content on all boxes?

I'm really tempted by one, just looks like a lovely bit of tech.

I already have a Fire TV box though which has any streaming app I need, PS4 and Switch for games and Ghomes for the Assistant. Can't really justify it just for having the Android TV skin as I have already covered all of the Shield's functionality above?

https://m.androidcentral.com/nvidia-shield-tv-vs-amazon-fire-tv-vs-roku

GatsbyGal wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting this for my husband this Christmas. We already have an mxq s905 box and the buffering/lag is pretty bad on it. Sky broadband is our provider. If we get the nvidia shield, will these issues be ironed out with it or does Sky "block/slow" content on all boxes?

That could be down to the build of the box or the download speed or even how many people are on the same internet

I'm so tempted to buy this

I'm kind of torn between a mi box and the shield.

I just checked amazon France and the shield is €229

Aghhhhh what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Invincible

I'm so tempted to buy this

I'm kind of torn between a mi box and the shield.

I just checked amazon France and the shield is €229

Aghhhhh what to do

Minix Neo U9-H :-)

tonic wine wrote: »
    I ordered my direct at from Nvidia at 159.  I paid using prepaid debit card and PW.  They shipped it with parcelforce and the tracking number is attached to my order details.  30hrs later is sitting in belfast, should get delivered to PW today.

Can you please send a link to where you got this for 159

Showing as 189 on nvidia.co.uk for me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

GatsbyGal wrote: »
    The boxes are different ends of the spectrum. But if your internet is an actual issue on one box, it could well be an issue on another. Get this checked out anyway, but the boxes fundamentally are worlds apart in terms of build

Can you please send a link to where you got this for 159

Showing as 189 on nvidia.co.uk for me

Sale is finished now o

• Advertisement

Invincible wrote: »
    Minix Neo U9-H :-)

Completely different, it is an "Android" box, not an official "Android TV" box, which is what is being discussed here.

Different versions of Android, note the missing "TV" bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement