Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

lawred2 wrote: »
    what are the in-app purchases? How restricted is the free version?

There isn't much of a difference as far as i can see.

There are three payment amounts which gives some widgets. I've paid them but not noticed any differences, and i tend to not use widgets. There may be other stuff, i'll report back id i come across something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

Whats the difference between the Hue colour and ambience B22/E27 and the newer Vivid colour version?
    Serious price difference on Amazon UK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Wireless-Lighting-Starter/dp/B01K1WP7Z4

Vivid colour:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambience-Wireless-Lighting-Starter/dp/B0748MY3RX/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

ongarite wrote: »
    Whats the difference between the Hue colour and ambience B22/E27 and the newer Vivid colour version?
    Serious price difference on Amazon UK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Wireless-Lighting-Starter/dp/B01K1WP7Z4

Vivid colour:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambience-Wireless-Lighting-Starter/dp/B0748MY3RX/

Im pretty sure they are the same - the third and latest generation bulbs. The second link includes a dimmer switch which the first doesnt.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

adox wrote: »
    Im pretty sure they are the same - the third and latest generation bulbs. The second link includes a dimmer switch which the first doesnt.

This. There is no difference that you or anyone would ever notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

There's some decent deals but they all come with the bridge, kind of annoying if you want to just get bulbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There's some decent deals but they all come with the bridge, kind of annoying if you want to just get bulbs

Sell the spare one

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Yeah, I know :) But it's adding effort to an already guilty purchase. I look at all these extra bulbs and think "How many more bulbs can my relationship take" :-D

Just think of the bridge as being free with some really cheap bulbs that are normally very expensive

The bulbs are usually £50 each, £42.50 in a twin pack.
    In today’s deal, they are £30 each (you just get a free hub with every 3 bulbs you buy (at what is a great price)

Sell the spare one

Or give it to a family member/friend, white only bulbs are as low as £12.50 now, so could gift someone a hub and 1-2 White only bulbs.

My mam has 6 white only bulbs running now!!, and eventually she’ll end up with more of my spare/unused stock

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm thinking of getting the white bulb starter kit for the kitchen. When you turn the bulbs back on after having been off, do they remember their last state? That is will they come on dimmed or back on at full brightness?

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of getting the white bulb starter kit for the kitchen. When you turn the bulbs back on after having been off, do they remember their last state? That is will they come on dimmed or back on at full brightness?

If you turn them on via the app or a dimmer switch, they will come on to whatever brightness is set in the particular scene that is turned on (which you set), if they are turned off at the light switch (and de-energised), when turned back on, they will come on at 100% brightness (and basically just be like a regular light bulb)

Bought them... looking forward to trying them out. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭supue

Anyone having an issue with their Hue lamps and Alexa?

Alexa lights on, lights off is fine.
    When I say Alexa, turn on living room lamp, I get: A few things share that name, which one did you want? Normally I say "All"

However, this is also turning on my landing light upstairs. I've no lights grouped, the names are quite different, I've googled it and nothing has worked so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

Do the Ikea Tradfri acessories work with Phillips Hue? I see that they've a new dimmer/switch for €10 and motion sensor for €20. I need two new switches and the motion sensors would be nice to play with too.

If they worked, it would work out a lot cheaper than going the Hue route.

Do the Ikea Tradfri acessories work with Phillips Hue? I see that they've a new dimmer/switch for €10 and motion sensor for €20. I need two new switches and the motion sensors would be nice to play with too.

I've just read about there being issues with the Ikea sensor, in that to pair a bulb to the sensor, the bulb will no longer be paired to your bridge, & when it senses motion, bulbs will always come on at 100%, unlike Hue which is easy to set, which was only just discussed here;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105413154&postcount=1370

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

As Andy said:

Based on my experiences..

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/smart-lighting/tr%C3%A5dfri-wireless-dimmer-white-art-00347831/ <- absolute trash. falls apart. terrible magnetic based

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/smart-lighting/tr%C3%A5dfri-wireless-motion-sensor-white-art-30383511/ <- OK but you lose the bulb control with Hue, it's Ikea bulb + bridge or else Ikea bulb + Ikea sensor (no brightness control I can see.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Was searching earlier and worked out costs across Argos/Amazon/Woodies. Amazon generally cheapest, no surprise there and Woodies have limited range anyway. Can't justify buying much at the moment as it would be only the odd thing and I don't like to use PM unless it's for a few. A colour bulb or two, light strip would be nice for Christmas dinner, etc. Anyway...

Re colour bulbs, can a sensor activate to a particular colour when motion is detected? Re dimmers, if for example, want to the turn two lights in the room, it's simply about linking it to the dimmer, but what if you only one - use the dimmer and ask a Google Home to turn off the other?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Was searching earlier and worked out costs across Argos/Amazon/Woodies. Amazon generally cheapest, no surprise there and Woodies have limited range anyway. Can't justify buying much at the moment as it would be only the odd thing and I don't like to use PM unless it's for a few. A colour bulb or two, light strip would be nice for Christmas dinner, etc. Anyway...

Amazon do free delivery on orders over £25 to Ireland, no need for PM
    Re colour bulbs, can a sensor activate to a particular colour when motion is detected?

Yes, tt can activate a particular scene, which you could have set up to be a particular colour.
    Re dimmers, if for example, want to the turn two lights in the room, it's simply about linking it to the dimmer, but what if you only one - use the dimmer and ask a Google Home to turn off the other?

You can set a dimmer to turn on both lights and then have GH turn off an individual light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Hue in the bathroom - white or colour?

Have a 3x E14 fitting in the main bathroom & a gu10 in the downstairs wc.

Was thinking of putting in colour bulbs because I like having it to use (maybe 20% of use for the other bulbs).
    It am I REALLY going to use colour in the bathroom?

All other bulbs in the house are colour.

Thoughts?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I can't really think of a use for colour in a bathroom, maybe to create a romantic mood.

Definitely White Ambiance, the missus loves bright white for putting on makeup, then we use soft white at night.

• Advertisement

So folks, how can I help win over someone who really doesn't like WiFi bulbs. I put smart bulbs in the living room and the kitchen- all will be hue at some point this week. Currently the missus really doesn't like having to use voice to control them and she definitely won't pick up the phone to adjust them.

I'll pick up some motion sensors at some point but any tips on how to smooth their presence over will be greatly received.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Montion sensors are a game changer with the hue bulbs, they won over my wife. you walk through our house now and the lights just come on from the kitchen, through the hall, up the stairs etc. You only have to turn lights on manually in the bedrooms (Using hue switches).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Get some of the dimmer switches. It's what i used to convince my missus.
    Then I slowly introduced the sensors and routines. Now the switches are never really used and she loves the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So folks, how can I help win over someone who really doesn't like WiFi bulbs. I put smart bulbs in the living room and the kitchen- all will be hue at some point this week. Currently the missus really doesn't like having to use voice to control them and she definitely won't pick up the phone to adjust them.

I'll pick up some motion sensors at some point but any tips on how to smooth their presence over will be greatly received.

Get a new missus... Enjoy your new Hue decked house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

http://www.arnotts.ie/brands/philips/philips/hue-dimmer-switch/BRIS929001173701.html?cgid=philips&dwvar_BRIS929001173701_color=White#start=1

Not a bad price, they're £20 on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Think I'll look to add motion sensors

Currently everything is on routines

lawred2 wrote: »
    Think I'll look to add motion sensors

Currently everything is on routines

I have everything on routines, but still have 3 sensors & 7 remotes, they really add to the system, especially for 'users' that aren't too into fidgeting with phones to turn on/off lights!

Get some of the dimmer switches. It's what i used to convince my missus.
    Then I slowly introduced the sensors and routines. Now the switches are never really used and she loves the lights

This has largely been our experience too. Dimmers were key to getting acceptance, but aren't used much now. Though they are still important when family, babysitter, etc. are around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sensors seemed iffy around 8pm last night, not responding. There was a decent update lurking in the app which appears to have helped things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have sensors in the hall and landing where they are ideal but I wouldnt use them in the living room or kitchen where you would spend a lot of time.

Advertisement