Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

SummerHaze wrote: »
    this month I have Tennessee Whiskey

Any particular brand...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Got a couple of bottles of 12 year old Red Breast in Sainsbury's for £31 whilst visiting family in Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Picked up a bottle of Cardhu 12 Yr old single malt that was on sale in from Tesco. Was looking to try something with a little sweetness for a change and tasting notes online indicated it might fit the bill.

But not detecting sweetness at all ...quite a smooth and short finish, light bodied. Enjoyed it all the same, and if I want something light and easy it fits the bill. Alternating between that and a Green Spot Chateau Leoville Barton right now.

Any recommendations though for something with a bit of sweetness (but more subtle than say a honey Jack daniels) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

elbyrneo wrote: »

Any recommendations though for something with a bit of sweetness (but more subtle than say a honey Jack daniels) ?

I don't know what level of sweetness you're looking for but I consider RB12 to be sweetish. Very marzipanny if you like that sort of thing. It could be I drink too much RB and eat too much marzipan that it's all in my mind :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

limnam wrote: »
    I don't know what level of sweetness you're looking for but I consider RB12 to be sweetish. Very marzipanny if you like that sort of thing. It could be I drink too much RB and eat too much marzipan that it's all in my mind :pac:

Big fan of marzipan! Will have a taste in the pub this week and grab a bottle if I like it so. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I find rb12 a bit too spicy. Just got a bottle of Cardhu 12 in Tesco also. Such a good whisky. 45 euro well spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I see one poor bastard on the booze megathread in bargains is reporting customs are inspecting his PM whiskey.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Always a risk.....

brokenarms wrote: »
    I find rb12 a bit too spicy. Just got a bottle of Cardhu 12 in Tesco also. Such a good whisky. 45 euro well spent.

A drop of water or bit of ice really takes the edge off it and opens it up. (RB)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle of Cardhu 12 Yr old single malt that was on sale in from Tesco. Was looking to try something with a little sweetness for a change and tasting notes online indicated it might fit the bill.

But not detecting sweetness at all ...quite a smooth and short finish, light bodied. Enjoyed it all the same, and if I want something light and easy it fits the bill. Alternating between that and a Green Spot Chateau Leoville Barton right now.

The Cardu Gold Reserve has a surprisingly nice sweet toffee finish. Nearly gave away the bottle I had but delighted I didn't. Good value as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Rb12 and greenspot arrived today. Got em at about 60% of normal price. Happy days

Trond wrote: »
    The Cardu Gold Reserve has a surprisingly nice sweet toffee finish. Nearly gave away the bottle I had but delighted I didn't. Good value as well.

Cardhu is good value abroad but we're(extra) ripped off here.

It sells for e25 in Spain/France and basically double that her3.

Same for Glenfiddich.

There's obviously a mark up on any whiskey but those two are at far higher percentages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

My PM whiskey (Green Spot and RB 12) is ready for collection anyway. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

bought the exact same. collected today. happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Twice this time last year I was stung by customs when buying from amazon, is it still a risk with the above?

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Twice this time last year I was stung by customs when buying from amazon, is it still a risk with the above?

Were you using Parcel Motel or having a courier deliver your purchases?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Passenger wrote: »
    Were you using Parcel Motel or having a courier deliver your purchases?

Once parcel motel, then parcel wizard, gave up on it after that.

Huh! Mine arrived just fine anyway. My parcel was labeled 'gift' if that made any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

everyone seems to have gone for the RB12 and Green spot!

With the Aldi 26, Brabrazon batch 1, RB 12 Lustau, RB 12, Green Spot, Dunville PX it'll be a fine christmas in my house.

Picked up RB 12YO cask strength today will be one of the tipples over xmas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Had a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 Year Old Solera unopened since summer 2016

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glenfiddich/glenfiddich-15-year-old-solera-whisky/

Cracked it open last night.

Absolutely divine stuff.

Picked up a bottle of powers three swallow in Tesco today.
    Was 45, down to 35 and I had a dunnes voucher for €5 off - So cost me €30

Was one I really enjoyed at whiskey live, never had it before, looking forward to having a sup.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle of powers three swallow in Tesco today.
    Was 45, down to 35 and I had a dunnes voucher for €5 off - So cost me €30

Was one I really enjoyed at whiskey live, never had it before, looking forward to having a sup.

30e's a steal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

phobia2011 wrote: »

Its definitely still a risk, and after a few times being caught Revenue may actually look at prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,047 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

L1011 wrote: »
    Its definitely still a risk, and after a few times being caught Revenue may actually look at prosecution.
    Please excuse the ignorance here, but how could he be prosecuted?
    Import alcohol, pay excise duty. No law has been broken.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mellor wrote: »
    Please excuse the ignorance here, but how could he be prosecuted?
    Import alcohol, pay excise duty. No law has been broken.

You need an excise licence to pay excise duty. Random punters do not have one.

Also, attempting to get it delivered without declaration = smuggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,047 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You need an excise licence to pay excise duty. Random punters do not have one.
    Also, attempting to get it delivered without declaration = smuggling.
    I don't think that's correct. You need an excise license to import goods for business purposes. An individual doesn't need a license to import alcohol for individual use.

From Revenue's website;
    Excise duty also falls due on alcohol entering Ireland from abroad. If an individual consumer purchases alcohol and has it delivered to Ireland from another country, excise (and other customs charges, as well as Value Added Tax (VAT)) will be payable before Customs will release the product.
    How do I pay the relevant charges?
    An Post will attach a Customs Docket, similar to that shown below, to your package with details of the amount of import charges owing. You will need to pay this amount to An Post before they will release your package to you.

So import alcohol, An Post assign duty, pay duty and they release it.
    Importing alcohol for individual use is perfectly legal. I've no idea why you thing there's a prosecution risk.

Who mentioned anything about not declaring. A declaration is needed for any international parcel, regardless of what it in. The senders fills that out.

Products are seized, you aren't given the option to pay duty as you do require a licence to pay it.

Excisable items have to be physically with you to be personal imports

And yes, you do get prosecuted for repeatedly attempting to get excisable or prescription it aems by post/courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Products are seized, you aren't given the option to pay duty as you do require a licence to pay it.

Excisable items have to be physically with you to be personal imports

And yes, you do get prosecuted for repeatedly attempting to get excisable or prescription it aems by post/courier.

Any cases you can point to? Would be an interesting read.

• Advertisement

Any cases you can point to? Would be an interesting read.

Two Christmas's ago we had the horrors of the Belgian beers, vast number of forum members getting their stuff siezed

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057515206

As goes prosecutions - most people don't keep trying after losing that much product. All excise offences are potentially prosecutable but they don't do it for the first few - most people aren't aware it was illegal when the first seizure occurs and they have leniency.

Keep doing it when you're well aware its illegal and they will prosecute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement