Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private to Public Sector

Options
  • 07-04-2018 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello,

I have a situation..one wouldn't say it's a bad one but I'm really stressed about it.
    I work in the private industry, it's a high pressure role. I work Christmas day, public holidays, weekends though my position is supposed to be Monday to Friday - 8 to 4, usually finish at any time up to 10 pm and could start at 0500 am. Trying to get vacation is tough, you have to find coverage. You are expected to provide coverage for others. Your expected to check your emails when you are off. In saying all this I do get paid well. But I'm always stressed and tired. Plus the 1 other person in my department in our Irish office stinks and drives me around the bend. Im with the company 8 years.
    I've now been offered a permanent position in a local authority. The work life balance would be amazing but my salary will drop by €12 k. I'm so stressed about this. I know money doesn't buy happiness but I'm literally getting sick about this decision. Has anyone been in a similar situation?
    Thanks for any advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

That 12k difference is to be considered in light of this-
    Permanent job
    Pension
    Sick pay
    Maternity pay
    Career break option
    Funding for further education (this depends on Dept)
    Study leave.

I work in public sector and find the perks are great, look at the big picture and then make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

jess1984 wrote:
    I have a situation..one wouldn't say it's a bad one but I'm really stressed about it. I work in the private industry, it's a high pressure role. I work Christmas day, public holidays, weekends though my position is supposed to be Monday to Friday - 8 to 4, usually finish at any time up to 10 pm and could start at 0500 am. Trying to get vacation is tough, you have to find coverage. You are expected to provide coverage for others. Your expected to check your emails when you are off. In saying all this I do get paid well. But I'm always stressed and tired. Plus the 1 other person in my department in our Irish office stinks and drives me around the bend. Im with the company 8 years. I've now been offered a permanent position in a local authority. The work life balance would be amazing but my salary will drop by €12 k. I'm so stressed about this. I know money doesn't buy happiness but I'm literally getting sick about this decision. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Thanks for any advise.

What's the point of the extra 12k when you have no life. When you get the chance to look back in years to come, what's more important

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Don’t look at it as a career move, look at it as a lifestyle choice. 12k before tax in the scheme of things is not a lot & if u will be happier it’s a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

What sort of pension are you on now?

What sort of pension would you get if you work from here to retirement in the public sector?

Unless you are currently on a defined benefit pension there's a good chance the improved pension will remove a good bit of that 12k.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jess1984

hooplah wrote: »
    What sort of pension are you on now?

What sort of pension would you get if you work from here to retirement in the public sector?

Unless you are currently on a defined benefit pension there's a good chance the improved pension will remove a good bit of that 12k.

I'm not on a pension. I know..very silly of me but I just didn't sign up to one. I haven't a clue about pensions. It's only in the past year since we bought a house that I sorted out life insurance etc. I was working my way towards the pension this year 🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Well in that case it's a no brainer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

You'll pay more into a public pension than you'll get out of it if you are a post 2011 entrant, plus you'll never be on the same money as those around you as your scale will be lower.

pearcider wrote: »
    Well in that case it's a no brainer!

As in cause of the pension with the local authority it's a good idea? I really need to read up on pensions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

12k gross pay gap or 12k net pay gap? Does the public sector job have an incremental salary scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

People are queuing up to get into the Public Service ( same people who wouldn't have got out of bed for the salary on offer in the PS a few years ago), 12k stripped down is not a whole lot of money.
    Take this opportunity whilst you have it.

• Advertisement

12k gross pay gap or 12k net pay gap? Does the public sector job have an incremental salary scale?

12k gross. Not taking overtime into the equation at all. Yes there are increments each year. In about 9 years I'd be on what I earn now. That's staying in the role and not progressing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

judeboy101 wrote: »
    You'll pay more into a public pension than you'll get out of it if you are a post 2011 entrant, plus you'll never be on the same money as those around you as your scale will be lower.

I don't see how you state either of those things as definitive statements.

You must have a poor understanding of the value of a DB pension if you think the first is true (or else you are making assumptions about future events).

The second, while currently true, may not remain true. And even if it does, in the context of the OP's current dilemma I don't really see the relevance...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

jess1984 wrote: »
    12k gross. Not taking overtime into the equation at all. Yes there are increments each year. In about 9 years I'd be on what I earn now. That's staying in the role and not progressing

There’s decent promotion opportunities in the Public Service at the moment, so it’s likely that over the next 9 years, you’d climb the ladder and improve your pay

I.e. it’s likely you’ll make up for the 12k hit in much less than 9 years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This is unlikely to stay the same though, the Government is expected to move towards equalising the payscales as soon as Budget 2019 in October. The Minister for Finance published a report on this just a couple of weeks ago to lay the ground work for the equalisation of payscales.
    As detailed in Section 1 there is an acknowledgement, within the Public Service Stability Agreement 2018-2020, of issues of concern relating to the increased length of salary scale for post January 2011 new entrants.

In recognition of this the Agreement commits all parties to an examination of remaining salary scale issues.

This process got underway in October 2017 with an initial discussion of the issue between the parties to the PSSA.

Since then a significant data gathering and analysis exercise has been undertaken culminating with this report, in line with the legislative requirement, which outlines the costs associated with the remaining salary scale issues.

It is intended that this report will provide the evidence base for further engagement over the coming months between the parties to explore how the matter can be addressed in line with the terms of the PSSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

The real problem is that your current company sounds like it is a shocking place to work.
    Moving anywhere would be better than staying there.

Sounds like you should definitely move.

I don't see how you state either of those things as definitive statements.

You must have a poor understanding of the value of a DB pension if you think the first is true (or else you are making assumptions about future events).

The second, while currently true, may not remain true. And even if it does, in the context of the OP's current dilemma I don't really see the relevance...?

OP will pay prsi plus pension levy plus other pension related deductions, his final pension will be based on an average of his lifetime salary and will be just state pension plus top up. So if OP for example thinks he'll get 500 pw pension he's really paying all his prsi plus pension levy plus pension related reductions for (500 - contributory). He'd be better off working in Aldi as the "golden public sector pension" is, post 2011, a money pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 randomnumber1

jess1984 wrote: »

Be aware of exactly how much you’ll be deducted in the public sector between superannuation and PRD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

OP will pay prsi plus pension levy plus other pension related deductions, his final pension will be based on an average of his lifetime salary and will be just state pension plus top up. So if OP for example thinks he'll get 500 pw pension he's really paying all his prsi plus pension levy plus pension related reductions for (500 - contributory). He'd be better off working in Aldi as the "golden public sector pension" is, post 2011, a money pit.

Well if you're making assumptions about the long term future, do you think the state pension will remain at its current level in real terms? I doubt it will.

Given they've said they're reasonably well paid in their current job and their employer is a multinational of some sort, I'm going to reckon they're going in on something like a HEO scale, which means on a career averaging, it will be an average based on >45k.

That suggests the "top up" as you call it, will be quite substantial. If you go away and work out the cost of funding a DC pension to provide a similar level of benefit, including tax free lump sum, you'll be looking at a cost much greater than what the PS worker actually directly contributes. (I always choose to consider the difference as the employer (i.e. The State's) contribution.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

judeboy101 wrote:

Given the op doesn't currently have a pension then it's still better to take the lower paid PS job with guaranteed pension.

Even with the pension deductions, the cost of achieving the equivalent in the private sector is exorbitant in compassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

People are queuing up to get into the Public Service ( same people who wouldn't have got out of bed for the salary on offer in the PS a few years ago), 12k stripped down is not a whole lot of money.
    Take this opportunity whilst you have it.

They’re not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

Re pension, a lot depends on what age you are.
    You need 40 years service to get a full pension.
    The state pension is also not included.

So you could end up with a pension a couple of grand a year above the state pension despite paying both prsi and pension contributions.

The public service pension is not as lucrative as it was. Before your pension was based on a % of your final salary x years of service/40 - let us say half so final salary was 50,000.
    Pension is 25,000 (provided you have done full 40 years).

Under the new pension scheme your pension is based on average salary not final salary.
    So your starting salary was 25,000. Your final salary was 50,000. So average is 37,500.
    Now pension is half of this 37,500, so 18,750 is your pension.

Difference of 6,250 per year.

That is based on you doing full 40 years.
    If you only do 20/40 years your pension will be no more than state pension (as it stands).

Saying all that it is likely a compulsory pension scheme will be introduced shortly for all private sector workers who don't have company scheme so maybe it will balance out.

judeboy101 wrote:

Given the op doesn't currently have a pension then it's still better to take the lower paid PS job with guaranteed pension.

Even with the pension deductions, the cost of achieving the equivalent in the private sector is exorbitant in compassion.

No it's not. OP would be better investing in anything other than a public pension. He is guaranteed to pay in way more than he will get out. He prob already has 520 stamps for the contributory so he could spend the next 30-40 years paying in up to 8k a year for maybe a 6k a year bump in his pension. OP do NOT be fooled by public sector, you are not guaranteed promotion especially if coming from private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

No it's not. OP would be better investing in anything other than a public pension. He is guaranteed to pay in way more than he will get out. He prob already has 520 stamps for the contributory so he could spend the next 30-40 years paying in up to 8k a year for maybe a 6k a year bump in his pension. OP do NOT be fooled by public sector, you are not guaranteed promotion especially if coming from private sector.

Gonna need more than 520 stamps under the new pension regulations to get a good state pension.

Edit:link removed. I wasn't providing good info there it seems.

The last bit is nonsense. The interview board I recently sat in front of was compiled of three private sector employees. There's no bias against it in competitions. Also, of course, no one is guaranteed promotion.

OP as to your dilemma I say take the new job. I'd much rather have my evenings and weekends than the extra cash.

Gonna need more than 520 stamps under the new pension regulations to get a good state pension.

Edit:link removed. I wasn't providing good info there it seems.

The last bit is nonsense. The interview board I recently sat in front of was compiled of three private sector employees. There's no bias against it in competitions. Also, of course, no one is guaranteed promotion.

OP as to your dilemma I say take the new job. I'd much rather have my evenings and weekends than the extra cash.
    Bull, 520 stamps is what you need and I'm calling bull on a public job promotion interview that is decided by private sector. OP you'll be marked the day you arrive from private sector as either (a) couldn't handle it in big bad world (b) sunshiner or (c) blow in potentially taking promotions from lifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Bull, 520 stamps is what you need and I'm calling bull on a public job promotion interview that is decided by private sector. OP you'll be marked the day you arrive from private sector as either (a) couldn't handle it in big bad world (b) sunshiner or (c) blow in potentially taking promotions from lifers.

You must have paid at least 520 full rate social insurance contributions and have a yearly average of at least 48 paid and/or credited full rate contributions from the year you started insurable employment until you reach 66 years of age.

Why do you think the women who gave up work to raise a family were so pissed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Op, I was in the same position last year. I was offered a public service job coming from the private sector. I took it and took an 11k pay drop along with it.

I have no regrets. The pay is crap but I find the benefits outweigh that. I no longer have to struggle to get a day off, or asking to go to my gp or hospital appointment doesn't end up an argument with a manager.

Best of luck with whatever decision you may choose op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Class of 82

My advice would be to take up the position as you need to leave your current role ASAP. What are you doing now is not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

I'd take the job if you can afford the hit. What grade is the job on offer?. Keep in mind that you will have two further deductions from your wages - superannuation and PRD . As other posters have said there will be promotional opportunities along the way. The pension isn't what it once was but if you are say around 30 you will be able to work up close to the full 40 years. People are also forgetting about the lump sum element which is 1.5 times your salary I think. Factor in 29 days annual leave and depending on the council, flexi time. You will have bank holidays off. Assistance with study fees if approved and granted study leave for exams. You are not happy in your life right now and if you can take the financial hit you don't stand to lose really. If you hate it you can always leave and go back to the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

520 will get you a minimum pension. You're gonna need about 4 times that to get the full whack.

And call bull all you want, I was actually at the interview so I'm fairly confident I know what I'm talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Some public bodies have outsourced interviews to private sector consultants where there has been a number of roles. The decision isn't ultimately made by the private sector people but they do have a say in it.

As for being marked in a negative sense, I've found the opposite to be the case.

OP, I made a similar switch and I was down in terms of pay but less than you. However, when I factored in less travel to and from work and the greater annual leave, it wasn't enough to put me off. But it was a role I really wanted anyway. That said, my previous role hadnt overwhelmed my life in the same way as yours seems to.

Advertisement