Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service Clerical Officer Campaign 2017 (Dublin)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mulligan11

Well fingers crossed for the both of us, I'll let you know if I hear anything

How many "batchs" are there in these thing?

I think there are 12, you should check the 2016 campaign thread, some of them are only getting placed now

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Gra11

I think they have finished placing the 2016 panel in Dublin. They have just begun Garda vetting for 2017. Hopefully it will increase pace and we will hear something soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Has anyone else, other than Bassplayed, started the Garda vetting?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 AJJ2010

They are at 21 on the panel now. Just spoke with PAS there now on the phone. I had to ring as my current employer is eager to get a replacement started and wanted some info..

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nice1guy

AJJ2010 wrote: »
    They are at 21 on the panel now. Just spoke with PAS there now on the phone. I had to ring as my current employer is eager to get a replacement started and wanted some info..

As in they have offered the first 21 people positions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭aidan364

nice1guy wrote: »
    As in they have offered the first 21 people positions?

At this stage they would have contacted 21 people in relation to a potentially assigning them within the Civil Service once they satisfy the final criteria in the form of Garda vetting and reference checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Leela82

babyboom wrote: »
    Just got email to say I passed too. Congratulations to everyone and thank you all for the support.

Congratulations on passing! I have my interview on weds and I’m sick with nerves. Feel like not going, I’m so bad at interviews. Would you mind awfully giving me a hint of a few of the questions? I hate asking but if I feel prepared I’d feel a bit better 😢😢😢

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

Leela82 wrote: »
    Congratulations on passing! I have my interview on weds and I’m sick with nerves. Feel like not going, I’m so bad at interviews. Would you mind awfully giving me a hint of a few of the questions? I hate asking but if I feel prepared I’d feel a bit better ������

I was sick with nerves too and nearly backed out a few times but it wasn't as awful as I was expecting. A few examples of the questions I was asked are:

"Can you give an example of a time in your working life when an event happened that totally disrupted how you carried out your job. What was the event, how did you react?"

"How would you deal with a colleague who isn't pulling their weight?"

"If you are writing a letter, what are the most important things to consider?"

"Have you ever worked as part of a team and what do you think makes for successful team work?"

"What have you done to update your skills over the past few years?"

There are lots more but I've drawn a blank. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Believe me, if I can get through the interview, anyone can. I slipped up on a few of the questions and thought I was a gonner so, even if you feel it didn't go perfectly, don't lose hope. Best of luck.

babyboom wrote: »
    I was sick with nerves too and nearly backed out a few times but it wasn't as awful as I was expecting. A few examples of the questions I was asked are:

"Can you give an example of a time in your working life when an event happened that totally disrupted how you carried out your job. What was the event, how did you react?"

"How would you deal with a colleague who isn't pulling their weight?"

"If you are writing a letter, what are the most important things to consider?"

"Have you ever worked as part of a team and what do you think makes for successful team work?"

"What have you done to update your skills over the past few years?"

There are lots more but I've drawn a blank. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Believe me, if I can get through the interview, anyone can. I slipped up on a few of the questions and thought I was a gonner so, even if you feel it didn't go perfectly, don't lose hope. Best of luck.

Oh my god you’re so good, thank you so much, really appreciate it xx

• Registered Users Posts: 9 angeb

Hi everyone,

I have my interview in 10 days. I am feeling a mixture of dread and excitement!
    Since applying I've started a new job, it's part time, hours are perfect and it's very local.
    I live in West Dublin and will decline an offer that's not close to me. It would need to be within a half hours drive. It just wouldn't make sense otherwise.
    I'm nervous about giving my current employer as a reference because of this, I don't want to risk her being contacted and then I decide I'm not going to take the position.
    Has anyone else found themselves in this predicament?
    Obviously all this depends on how the interview goes, I'm talking as if I have it in the bag. Lol

Thanks and congratulations to all who have passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Gra11

Does everyone get Garda vetted or does it depend on the department they want to assign you to?

Gra11 wrote: »
    Does everyone get Garda vetted or does it depend on the department they want to assign you to?

Pretty sure they vet everyone for the permanent positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Irishwolf47

I am number 26, anyone have a rough idea as to how long I'll be waiting?

I am number 26, anyone have a rough idea as to how long I'll be waiting?

Well if the first 21 were contacted last week then you should hear soon. Do keep us updated though, I'm not much further off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sanie1206

Does anyone know what decides which batch number you fall into ?

Sanie1206 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what decides which batch number you fall into ?

It is based on your original OOM which you received after the online tests done from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

I had my interview today.

The lady and gentleman interviewing me were very nice and that instantly calmed me.

I feel like I could have explained my answers better, but it's out of my hands now.

I guess if I don't pass I'll dust myself off and try again when another competition opens up

best of luck to all.

barrier86 wrote: »
    I had my interview today.

The lady and gentleman interviewing me were very nice and that instantly calmed me.

I feel like I could have explained my answers better, but it's out of my hands now.

I guess if I don't pass I'll dust myself off and try again when another competition opens up

best of luck to all.

Congratulations! I have mine tomorrow and I’m terrified!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 peatsee

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    It is based on your original OOM which you received after the online tests done from home.

Hi just to let you know your oom is actually based on the supervised tests taken in the pas office

Congratulations! I have mine tomorrow and I’m terrified!

I had my interview today too, very nice older man and woman. I think it went well, they were very kind. Best of luck for tomorrow, it’s not half as bad as you think it’s going to be!

• Advertisement

peatsee wrote: »
    Hi just to let you know your oom is actually based on the supervised tests taken in the pas office

The original question was in relation to which batch you would fall into.

Your original OOM from stage one decides which batch you are in. Then you are assigned a new OOM after stage two. Batch one consisted of people with an original OOM below around 1800. Batch two consisted of those with original OOM's between around 1800-2500. I don't think batch 3 have been called in for their tests yet.

Once you sit the in-house test you are assigned a new OOM which ranks you against those within your own batch.

Mulligan11 wrote: »
    I had my interview today too, very nice older man and woman. I think it went well, they were very kind. Best of luck for tomorrow, it’s not half as bad as you think it’s going to be!

oh thank you! I'm sitting here trying to learn some competency based answers!! Did they ask anything you weren't expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Anyone know where I might find a book that will have some of the kind of questions that will pop up on the supervised tests.
    Or a website.

oh thank you! I'm sitting here trying to learn some competency based answers!! Did they ask anything you weren't expecting?

They asked about all the competency’s, I had to give personal examples! That was fine, I was asked about sending an email, how I would go about sending it to different people, they also asked how I would cope with boring work and the Thursday afternoon slump! It really wasn’t hard except for the why should you get the job question!

Anyone know where I might find a book that will have some of the kind of questions that will pop up on the supervised tests.
    Or a website.

There is a linked included on your email, you don’t get questions as such, you have to pull the information out of a paragraph, tricky on a timed test but not hard. For the maths it’s again pulling out the numerical information, practice percentages, watch your timing and guess if you have too!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Maggieclerical

Hi, does anybody know roughly how many candidates get placed per week? Would they go through 10 or more? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bassplayed

Hi, does anybody know roughly how many candidates get placed per week? Would they go through 10 or more? Thanks

From what I understand. No one has been placed. They have just started the Garda vetting process.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭labrik

I don't think there's a set number per week. I think it depends on vacancies e.g. new posts being created in departments, transfers to other departments and to other towns (lots of people transfer at the moment to outside Dublin), promotions would free up clerical posts.

From what I gather, the 2016 Dublin campaign was open for 2 years and they went through 12 batches. However, I don't think each batcch has the same number of people but I'm not sure on that. I'm just a candidate like yourself who has spent a bit of time over the last six months reading through the posts. No expert. My guess is they take on at least a thousand clerical officers in Dublin a year. That's about 100 a month, 25 a week. But it could 20 one month, 40 another, 70, 100,140, 230.... Again there's no set amount from what I know but I'm a candidate like yourself. PAS might tell you better information.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pickysue

Had my interview this morning..They were lovely and very good at putting me at ease..Felt like they were doing everything they could to point me in the right direction answer wise.. can anyone tell me if I’m successful does my OOM change to reflect how I did in the interview or stay the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Moving2017

Pickysue wrote: »
    Had my interview this morning..They were lovely and very good at putting me at ease..Felt like they were doing everything they could to point me in the right direction answer wise.. can anyone tell me if I’m successful does my OOM change to reflect how I did in the interview or stay the same?

Your OOM does not change.. this is confirmed in the correspondence you received from PAS

Advertisement