Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

jooksavage wrote: »
    Tucker Carlson has shed any pretense of being a serious "conservative". There's nothing conservative about being the hype-man for an authoritarian ignoramus like Trump. His side-project, the Daily Caller is a platform for some of the most virulently racist crap this side of the Daily Stormer: actual nazi Jason Kessler has had pieces published there. When things cycle around to normality (and lets all pray God that actually happens), Carlson and Hannity can take their places alongside other famous traitors to the Republic.

And coincidentally, the Daily Caller is also the one that published an op-ed by Oleg Deripaska of all people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Is there a media more mainstream than fox by the way?

Had an entire day of it today with a guy lambasting mainstream media while parroting talking points from Fox.

You cannot actually get any more mainstream than Fox, this seems completely lost on them.

I think the days of calling Fox news a credible media source are long gone and it's more a propaganda mouthpiece/circlejerk for those thirtysomething percent that believe that Trump is an honest politician

• Registered Users Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

duploelabs wrote: »
    I think the days of calling Fox news a credible media source are long gone and it's more a propaganda mouthpiece/circlejerk for those thirtysomething percent that believe that Trump is an honest politician

I don't think anyone believes that Trump is an honest politician (or person for that matter). I think they have concluded that they are willing to put up with that since they are 'winning'.

You can even see that in the recent speeches from Trump and Pence. Vote GOP to save Trump from impeachment.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone believes that Trump is an honest politician (or person for that matter). I think they have concluded that they are willing to put up with that since they are 'winning'.

You can even see that in the recent speeches from Trump and Pence. Vote GOP to save Trump from impeachment.

Ok so it's thirty something approval rating but a 13% believe that his honest, which means there's about a quarter of those polled believe that they approve of him even if he's dishonest.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/388107-poll-just-13-percent-of-americans-consider-trump-honest-and

• Registered Users Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

On a side issue,. the fact that the death toll in PR stands at almost 3k, and yet Trump is still claiming success, and more baffling that he is not being crucified for it.

PR is a total and absolute shambles. It is either gross negligence of gross incompetence. The fact that he continues to blame the Major is yet another example of the man being totally unable to accept that he has any responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

On a side issue,. the fact that the death toll in PR stands at almost 3k, and yet Trump is still claiming success, and more baffling that he is not being crucified for it.

PR is a total and absolute shambles. It is either gross negligence of gross incompetence. The fact that he continues to blame the Major is yet another example of the man being totally unable to accept that he has any responsibility.

Bob Woodward was on Maddow last night.

Basically, to your point, he said that Trump believes that you should never, ever, admit that you are wrong. To do so, is to appear weak and you should always exude power. Fear is how you get that power, hence the name of the book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I'll always remember the disdain with which he was throwing packs of toilet rolls to the American citizens whose lives were destroyed in Puerto Rico, and the condescension with which he downplayed the disaster 'Katrina was a real disaster'

Repugnant human being that he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

He is mentally deranged simple as that, he lives in a pure fantasy world where everything he touches has to be the biggest and the best.....he was saying yesterday PR that it was the best responded to hurricane ever:confused::confused:

Also yesterday taking about getting ready for Florence he started off saying that it was big hurricane "tremendous rain" and then proceeded to say that it could be the biggest hurricane "ever". This show the mental derangement of the man, his hurricanes are the biggest......wtf

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The fraudulent claiming of $150,000 from a fund designed to help businesses and properties damaged in the attack is especially jarring. This should be enough to sink anyone's political career yet won't even be a footnote when all is said and done with this guy.

But that's the anomaly with Trump. He's done and said 100s of things during the campaign and his presidency that individually would sink a politician's career. It reminds me of a joke in an old Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns had so many diseases that the doctor said he should be dead but they all cancel each other out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The funniest thing I heard in a long time was this morning on radio when Richard Boyd Barrett was effectively protesting that he wouldn't get the chance to protest about Trump as the visit was being cancelled. Priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

UsedToWait wrote:
    I'll always remember the disdain with which he was throwing packs of toilet rolls to the American citizens whose lives were destroyed in Puerto Rico, and the condescension with which he downplayed the disaster 'Katrina was a real disaster'

ya I remember that. of all the thousands of clips and interviews that one perfectly sums up what kind of man he is. utterly devoid of any concern for anything or anyone except himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Water John

RBB, another pretentious gobs***e. They should well recognise each other.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Big anniversary, ( wouldnt call it huge just yet ) coming up for the Trump administration tomorrow.

600 days in Office .

https://www.tickcounter.com/countup/3364/days-since-trump-took-office

600 days and look at how much the Trump Adminstration has achieved despite everything the left has thrown at them.
    Some achievement...

By which time there will be 864 days left in the current cycle..
    864 days to get even more done now that the adminstration has built so much momentum

https://www.tickcounter.com/countdown/1611151200000/america-new_york/yodhms/FFFFFF3B5998000000FF0000/Time_Until_Trump_Leaves_Office

I expect the 600 day anniversary will be overshadowed by Hurricane Florence which will hit the East coast. Thoughts and prayers are with everyone there, especially all those in the Outer Banks, Cape Hatteras, etc Ive many happy memories of fishing and camping out in that area.

With respect to the above poster, this sounds like a propaganda leaflet.

I, for one, admire the optimism that Trump has a full cycle left.

My wager is he will be gone by Christmas. Optimistic I know but we will see....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

everlast75 wrote: »
    With respect to the above poster, this sounds like a propaganda leaflet.

I, for one, admire the optimism that Trump has a full cycle left.

My wager is he will be gone by Christmas. Optimistic I know but we will see....

All the ones who come in to praise Trump have the same tone as that North Korean News Lady. It's fawning praise about how amazing the dear leader is. Fox News is the same. It's all over the top praise.

This is a fairly recent phenomenon as well. There was none of this insane praise for Obama or Bush and even Fox didn't give Bush the praise that they give Trump now.

It's mad really when you think about it - Trump supporters and Trump's media sounding like typical tinpot dictator propaganda.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Big anniversary, ( wouldnt call it huge just yet ) coming up for the Trump administration tomorrow.

600 days in Office .

[...]

So nothing to add or contribute about Trumps tweet yesterday, accusing his own DoJ of collusion with Russia & the Clintons? People here did ask - to be fair maybe you missed the direct questions - but it's not unreasonable to request some form of engagement beyond cheap-shots and propagandist posts such as the above.

Unless you simply don't care, or don't believe Trump - in which case, why? You position yourself as fully signed up to Trumps agenda, so it's only fair to push back at why these kind of communications don't disturb or worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭amandstu

All the ones who come in to praise Trump have the same tone as that North Korean News Lady. It's fawning praise about how amazing the dear leader is. Fox News is the same. It's all over the top praise.

This is a fairly recent phenomenon as well. There was none of this insane praise for Obama or Bush and even Fox didn't give Bush the praise that they give Trump now.

It's mad really when you think about it - Trump supporters and Trump's media sounding like typical tinpot dictator propaganda.
    Trump does indeed deserve the invective and vituperation he gets,but it seems to me that it it is because this (deserved) criticism is necessarily so harsh that his supporters have an additional reason to stand by their "man".

No way round it really. To be fair to Trump involves harsh criticism which includes his supporters as collateral damage.

HC was right to say that (some of) his supporters were deplorable but we know how that played out.

Seems to me that if Trump is put out of our misery at some stage his supporters will just not draw the lesson from their misguided support and the game will continue ,hopefully at a less manic tempo (the damage has well and truly been done)

I think it is beyond arguable at this stage, that Trump is mentally unfit for office.

Previously, it was the case that his personality was such that it made him a poor President, but over the last while it has all ramped up to a stage now where it is patently clear he is not well in the head.

So putting aside my extreme dislike for the man, a slight bit of sympathy is hovering around the periphery when I look at him. Shocking, I know!

The behaviour getting off the plane, the press interactions - its clear he simply "just doesn't get it". Again, I think and know he is an utterly horrible man, but his mental state appears to be in tatters. He cannot interact on a social level in any sort of normal way (even worse than before). He cannot be trusted to keep secrets, to use tact, to not be taken advantage of, he is slurring his words, his vocabulary and memory is shot to hell.

Now, you could argue that his own family should shepherd him off stage if that was truly how he is, but they are no better than he was when he had all his mental faculties.

I think it is beyond arguable at this stage, that Trump is mentally unfit for office.

Previously, it was the case that his personality was such that it made him a poor President, but over the last while it has all ramped up to a stage now where it is patently clear he is not well in the head.

So putting aside my extreme dislike for the man, a slight bit of sympathy is hovering around the periphery when I look at him. Shocking, I know!

The behaviour getting off the plane, the press interactions - its clear he simply "just doesn't get it". Again, I think and know he is an utterly horrible man, but his mental state appears to be in tatters. He cannot interact on a social level in any sort of normal way (even worse than before). He cannot be trusted to keep secrets, to use tact, to not be taken advantage of, he is slurring his words, his vocabulary and memory is shot to hell.

Now, you could argue that his own family should shepherd him off stage if that was truly how he is, but they are no better than he was when he had all his mental faculties.
    Maybe his Christian supporters should be asked if they pity the man (its part of their religion ,isn't it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,086 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How would you 'crucify' him though? If the MSM say anything its 'false news'. Nothing sticks, everyone is suffering from Trump overload. Only voting or Mueller will move him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

On the issue of the US 2nd amendment which pops up for debate here every so often, passing through Trinity today I saw this poster on a debate there tonight. Not attending it myself and I'm not aware if it's open to the public.

The debate result itself might be interesting to some academically and topically if its mentioned in the papers here tomorrow. The photo has part of the US 2nd amendment script on the pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

looksee wrote: »
    How would you 'crucify' him though? If the MSM say anything its 'false news'. Nothing sticks, everyone is suffering from Trump overload. Only voting or Mueller will move him.

Mueller can't move him. All Mueller can do is deliver his report.

If it is damning enough, the Republicans could impeach him.

Ha ha, sorry, just kidding there, they're more likely to raise taxes on the rich than impeach Trump.

amandstu wrote: »
    Maybe his Christian supporters should be asked if they pity the man (its part of their religion ,isn't it?)

I wasn't asking about the Christian base. They look the other way re his adultery etc. They are "lifers" when it comes to DJT.

I am however interested in your (all of you) perspectives, as ye tend to be less enamoured with the man. Is there any sympathy there, small as it may be? Do you agree that the mental instability has reached a dangerous height, or do you believe it was always there?

I wasn't asking about the Christian base. They look the other way re his adultery etc. They are "lifers" when it comes to DJT.

I am however interested in your (all of you) perspectives, as ye tend to be less enamoured with the man. Is there any sympathy there, small as it may be? Do you agree that the mental instability has reached a dangerous height, or do you believe it was always there?
    We have to have a small part of us that retains sympathy. Otherwise we are ourselves demeaned.

It is the same with all criminals,delinquents and thugs ,we have to remember that they had good instincts at some point in their lives.

HC was asked in her last question time with DT what good she saw in him and gave the answer that his children showed that he must have some redeeming character as they were (apparently) of good character.

We don't have to set DT's worth at zero to understand that a very bad error was made by the electorate.

But to describe what we see we have to use appropriate language ,and that cannot be very parliamentary in his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

600 days in Office .

600 days and look at how much the Trump Adminstration has achieved despite everything the left has thrown at them.
    Some achievement...

The Republicans hold both houses so nothing the Democrats can do or 'throw' at them should have effected anything. Trump has shown zero interest in bipartisanship since being elected on top of that given he has governed by executive order and rammed bills through without even allowing Dems read them or used the nuclear option to confirm the supreme court judge.

rossie1977 wrote: »

600 days in Office .

600 days  and look at how much the Trump Adminstration has achieved despite everything the left has thrown at them.
    Some achievement...

The Republicans hold both houses so nothing the Democrats can do or 'throw' at them should have effected anything. Trump has shown zero interest in bipartisanship since being elected on top of that given he has governed by executive order and rammed bills through without even allowing Dems read them or used the nuclear option to confirm the supreme court judge.

The could do what Trump and the GOP did, win elections, local, state and Presidential , its how the system works in the worlds oldest and longest running constitutional democratic republic. Its quite simple.

rossie1977 wrote: »

600 days in Office .

600 days  and look at how much the Trump Adminstration has achieved despite everything the left has thrown at them.
    Some achievement...

The could do what Trump and the GOP did, win elections, local, state and Presidential , its how the system works in the worlds oldest and longest running constitutional democratic republic. Its quite simple.

I dunno if it was mentioned before here but given the above it needs a rehash...

Before (by outside commentators) it was considered that Trumps rants, his bizarre tweets and actions, his penchant for conspiracy theories, etc etc was all a ruse, a bluster, a facade to detract from his real motivations and confuse his opponents. The real Trump behind the scenes was in controlled and measured, in receipt of all the facts, and eloquent.
    That was their defense.

However, given the BTS audio recordings and Woodward's book (which I'm reading currently and is amazing yet terrifying), it is apparent that Trump is that thick, is that gullible, does indeed have a lexicon that would fit on an A4 page (albeit front and back), is that egotistical, and has the mental stability of a hungry toddler.

It's from this evidence that uttering of the 25th amendment has become louder, that T_D has the acuity of Reagan in his last days of office and doesn't have the mental ability to perform the role of commander in chief

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The US isn't the worlds oldest constitutional democratic republic, in fact you could argue its not even a democracy but I digress.

That's not the initial point you made. You framed it like Trump faced massive opposition by the Dems who blocked his agenda at every turn and only by negotiation/compromise or some other tactic was he able to achieve his goals.

Reality is Trump has barely even communicated with the Dems. His biggest opposition has come from within his own party at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This is true but it doesn't change the fact that Trump and the GOP have total control so saying that he acheived things in spite of the democrats actions is nonsense. But good job purposefully missing his point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement