Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Nope. You're welcome to it. Hours of my life I'll never get back.

I never said I wanted those times back either. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Still the norm at classic car shows!

And the ploughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

zapitastas wrote: »
    Were an awful lot less tubby feckers about in the 80s

Saying that once someone hit 70 they looked about 100. Most pensioners back then resembled Eamon dunphy.

True. Now they are tanned after the winter in the Canaries. The poor oul pensioners

Someone will have to explain this for me..

Regular on U.T.V. and B.B.C. Northern Ireland. The freedom fighters would have rang in a few bomb warning to the police

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Bringing rakes of hang sandwiches and flasks of tea to big matches, and standing around at the boot of the car eating them. None of this running into a garage to pick up a bite to eat.

I remember this well, big 80's thing making your own lunches and bringing tea flasks.. Today people pee themselves if there is no take out coffee place or somewhere to charge their phone.

• Advertisement

We used to rent our telly from a little shop in finglas off Dessie Ellis. He's now a TD and sinn féin spokesperson on housing. Still lives in the house in finglas where he grew up. I'm no shinner but he's a nice genuine fella.

Oh yeah. Very useful with his hands.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I remember this well, big 80's thing making your own lunches and bringing tea flasks.. Today people pee themselves if there is no take out coffee place or somewhere to charge their phone.

I have managed a great blend of pre-90s financial fastidiousness with modern day fanciness. Lunch on a day out can be a latte made with my favourite coffee with a delicious slice of quiche eaten on a comfy couch all for supermarket prices. Thanks to my little campervan.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I was in primary school in the seventies and our teacher used (a) smoke in the classroom & (b) send two of us pupils to the shop during class time to buy cigarettes for her. We'd buy sweets while we were there and eat them on the way back to class. I still remember that wonderful feeling of freedom and escape you'd get when it was your turn to be one of teacher's cigarette shoppers.

Smoking in the classroom with the kids sitting watching....haha, definitely a different world :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

A few random thoughts on the 70s & 80s...

There wasn't much money around and unemployment/emigration was very hard on families and friends. There was no car or house envy because most people seemed to have roughly the same wealth.

Begrudgery and Tall Poppy syndrome was rampant. You dare not lift your head higher.

The church were at the height of their power and they knew it. They acted more like colonists than anything else.

The music was fantastic.

I think people were much more unique. People just seem very robotic and boring these days in comparison. Consumerism seems to dominate people's lives now. There were a lot more "characters" around then. Not so politically correct either.

Whole families would sit around and watch great scheduled TV shows every weekend (Dallas, Hill Street Blues, Glenroe etc etc).

Food was generally boring but you also knew what hunger was and it's a great sauce!

People were naturally fitter. Much fitter and in a more general sense.

People had a better general knowledge. The internet has made it too easy.

The big one for me is Time. We seemed to have much more time and everyone seemed much less rushed than today. Even the children today always seem to be in a rush or stressed about time. I guess there were no crèches, no traffic jams. Most mothers were always at home too. I am not saying that is a good thing but it certainly made family life less stressful/rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

A few random thoughts on the 70s & 80s...

There wasn't much money around and unemployment/emigration was very hard on families and friends. There was no car or house envy because most people seemed to have roughly the same wealth.

Begrudgery and Tall Poppy syndrome was rampant. You dare not lift your head higher.

The church were at the height of their power and they knew it. They acted more like colonists than anything else.

The music was fantastic.

I think people were much more unique. People just seem very robotic and boring these days in comparison. Consumerism seems to dominate people's lives now. There were a lot more "characters" around then. Not so politically correct either.

Whole families would sit around and watch great scheduled TV shows every weekend (Dallas, Hill Street Blues, Glenroe etc etc).

Food was generally boring but you also knew what hunger was and it's a great sauce!

People were naturally fitter. Much fitter and in a more general sense.

People had a better general knowledge. The internet has made it too easy.

The big one for me is Time. We seemed to have much more time and everyone seemed much less rushed than today. Even the children today always seem to be in a rush or stressed about time. I guess there were no crèches, no traffic jams. Most mothers were always at home too. I am not saying that is a good thing but it certainly made family life less stressful/rushed.

Still wouldn't swap my life now for a chance to go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at you ...

Always having a tape recorder next to the transistor radio hoping to be able to record the latest hit, while at the same time cursing the radio dj who would always ruin it by talking over the song.

An Aer Lingus flight hijacked with Albert Reynolds on board. The hijacker's demand??? He wanted the "Third secret of Fatima" to be released.

All rural telephone calls had to be manually routed through the local post-office/exchange, and the local post-mistress frequently listened in on calls and knew more about what was going on than the KGB.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

archer22 wrote: »
    And the Posties on their bicycles in the rural areas...remember the bell ringing at the gate.
    In my area there is miles of massive hills so the poor buggers had a really brutal job.

Still they used to make it 5 days a week in all weathers.
    But that was before online shopping...Don't how they would fare if it was today :D

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/postmans-refusal-to-deliver-406mm-long-packet-on-his-bike-leads-to-three-days-of-state-agency-hearings-868836.html

Postman's refusal to deliver 406mm-long packet on his bike leads to three days of State agency hearings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

As I was an introverted wee nipper, I spent a lot of time looking down at the pavements. They were usually cracked and littered with chewing gum and white turds.
    That's what I remembered the most.
    And you'd feel like a millionaire with a pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Masala wrote: »
    Don't remember anyone 'young' having cancer. It didn't seem to exist back then

I recall lots of cases of cancer, mainly middle aged people (old to me at the time). Most of them died. I seem to recall back then that a cancer diagnosis was almost always a death sentence.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

"Dublins Great in 88"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Stolen cars - where I grew up there was no facilities to keep older lads occupied so they usually stole cars, they even stole back out of the Garda station when they took them.

Strangely enough one of my foremost memories is of being able to leave the key in the hall door permanently.

The men you don't see any more, the insurance man, the video man, the toffee apple man.

Break dancing and roller skating, football matches with jumpers as goalposts.

Trips to frawleys and the denim shop a couple of doors away (can't remember it's name) on Thomas street for the latest fashion!!

Ear phones with a player as big as a book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

2011 wrote: »
    Just look at this 1985 RTE new report:

I remember it so vividly.

Government approved airfares. £69 was an absolute fortune back then. And then the scheme for couples separating. The level of state interference in people’s lives was heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Jimmy. wrote: »
    The pull out method was all the rage.
    Vatican roulette. Pull out and pray

3rdDegree wrote: »
    I recall lots of cases of cancer, mainly middle aged people (old to me at the time). Most of them died. I seem to recall back then that a cancer diagnosis was almost always a death sentence.
    :(

I remember a few people looking down on people that got cancer as if they brought it on themselves and should be ashamed, some mentality that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Masala wrote: »
    Still wouldn't swap my life now for a chance to go back.

Yes but the question must be would you rather you lived your childhood in the 70s/80s or 2010+.

I know I would prefer to grow up in the 70s & 80s. The kids today spend way too much time indoors looking at screens and they are mollycoddled in every other aspect of their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Ann and Barry school books

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Government approved airfares. £69 was an absolute fortune back then. And then the scheme for couples separating. The level of state interference in people’s lives was heavy.

Bizarre alright- the government intervening in airfares! Talk about not “serving the people”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

road_high wrote: »
    Bizarre alright- the government intervening in airfares! Talk about not “serving the people”
    Makes me curious about some of the "modern nanny state" type complaints you hear today in some circles.

You could go out for a night with £20 get drunk have a ball and still have enough left over for the next night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Ireland had a massive network of creameries. Hundreds of them! Many were tiny and no full time staff.The farmers bring their milk there and later the creamery will do the rounds and bring it all to the main creamery in town.

These days the milk lorry comes to you, you don’t go to the creamery. Operations are much bigger and a drive for efficiency, rush rush rush

These sites were sold off long ago. There may well be a house in your area known as the old creamery. I know one anyway :)

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory on telly every Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Refills of your glass milk bottles at the local shop.

Had illegal BBC, UTV etc

Best shows A-Team, MacGyver, Family Ties, Alf, CHiPs, Matlock, Murder She Wrote. If you ever saw Jessica Fletcher checking into your hotel it was probably best to leave, as sh1t was about to go down.

Used to listen to midweek soccer matches on BBC radio but reception was chronic.

Getting flaked at school even though it had been outlawed.

Car parked in the house garage which is now a front room in a lot of houses.

Fruit and veg didn't stay fresh for as long as it does now but they weren't pumped full of crap then.

Madonna, Wham!, Queen, Michael Jackson on MT USA

Born in '76

The ads which consisted of a still and a voiceover.

Garda Patrol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

branie2 wrote: »
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory on telly every Christmas
    still is...

• Advertisement

The Angelus on tv, when it had religious pictures, mainly Mary and the baby Jesus.

Advertisement