Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Edinburgh Saturday 7.15pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I didn't expect the red. But I sort of admire it. Ref had an easy out, less than ten left no one would have complained with a yellow and citing could have checked it after. He red carded anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

anyone know who got the man of match ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

VdF must have been close to motm. Made a few handling errors which probably kept him from the award but his workrate at the ruck and tackle was exceptional. Looks to have hit the ground running after his knee injury. PoM and Jordi had similar injuries and it took them close to half a season each before they started approaching their best form.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Juwwi wrote: »

thanks

Healy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

thanks

Looked like Cian Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

thanks
    Healy

Will be a lot of sore bodies after that. Edinburgh's intensity caught Leinster by surprise a bit early in the first half but credit to them in the way they stepped it up themselves starting with a terrific defensive performance.

Very physical test, Leavy looked either badly stunned or very angry after he was hit. Healy, Toner, VDF all excellent. Deegan and Kearney also absolute quality. All the front row and replacements wen't well.

Everyone deserves to be singled out for one thing or an other, some great scores and individual efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I really liked how many support runners came through he middle when the ball got wide, looking for the offload back inside. More of that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Can Ray Darcy actually bi-locate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

Very physical test, Leavy looked either badly stunned or very angry after he was hit.

He was very slow to get up, badly stunned I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Deliberate action leading with the elbow, and the head was the first point of contact.

Red does seem harsh as we've seen yellows for similar, but the directives are really clamping down on any contact to the head.

despite us benefitting from it, that's a very harsh new law. Leavy was way too high, it basically absolves the tackler of any impetus to get their body position right. Really think that's a step too far into the nanny state. I'm all for protecting players, but if you get yourself into the wrong position for a tackle, then tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭LostArt

kenmc wrote: »
    despite us benefitting from it, that's a very harsh new law. Leavy was way too high, it basically absolves the tackler of any impetus to get their body position right. Really think that's a step too far into the nanny state. I'm all for protecting players, but if you get yourself into the wrong position for a tackle, then tough.

or the carrier could not lead with the elbow

LostArt wrote: »
    or the carrier could not lead with the elbow

Aye, or he could wear tags on Velcro patches on his shorts and let's do away with tackling entirely....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Aye, or he could wear tags on Velcro patches on his shorts and let's do away with tackling entirely....

The tackle hadn't been carried out at the time of impact. The carrier dictated the situation. Leavy's position was completely normal.

I thought the call was harsh but apparently under the new directive it was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Disagree with this thinking that Leavy was in the wrong there. There’s nothing wrong with standing upright if going for a wrap tackle to try to drag the player down, the Edinburgh player looked very powerful, a wrap tackle while conceding a few meters might have been a good tackle in that collision.
    The carrier cannot use his elbow to fend, end of story.

Buer wrote: »
    The tackle hadn't been carried out at the time of impact. The carrier dictated the situation. Leavy's position was completely normal.

I thought the call was harsh but apparently under the new directive it was correct.
    Disagree, leavy went in high for a man-and-ball wrap, came off worse. New law is a step too far IMO. It's no different than getting your head wrong side of hip and taking a knee to the head, your own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Disagree, leavy went in high for a man-and-ball wrap, came off worse. New law is a step too far IMO. It's no different than getting your head wrong side of hip and taking a knee to the head, your own fault.

Let me guess. The games gone soft?

Leading with the elbow with force to a persons head is dangerous. The game has a responsibility to legislate for that. It has done. At no point was Schoeman forced to lead with the elbow and he could have gone into contact differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Two big positives for me today were our defence and Mick Kearney. Thought he was very good when he came on. Some nice soft hands at times and worked his socks off effectively throughout. He’ll be very happy with his season so far, and rightly so. Hope Ryan and Leavy aren’t out for too long. Neither made any sort of reappearance after going into the sheds.

16 from a possible 20 is good going given the fixture list. Pretty damn happy with our opening 4 rounds, even if we left points behind in Llanelli.

• Administrators Posts: 53,379 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I said 30 plus points and I was almost right again. Only fools doubt me at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The Edinburgh player raised his elbow up and out to strike leavy, regardless of Leavys body position it was an intentional strike at the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm surprised the red card is being debated after the widely publicised enforcement drive.

I was sitting in the far end stand but as soon as I saw the fend I said to myself, red. You simply do not get to stiff-arm an attempt to wrap. Red. Ban. Buh-bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Clegg wrote: »
    VdF must have been close to motm. Made a few handling errors which probably kept him from the award but his workrate at the ruck and tackle was exceptional. Looks to have hit the ground running after his knee injury. PoM and Jordi had similar injuries and it took them close to half a season each before they started approaching their best form.

Apropos of nothing, but I met VDF at a Billy Joel concert during the summer. Nice fella and chap is an absolute unit. Delighted he has hit the ground running. Think he might be as good a 7 as we have.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Watched about 4 minutes of the game, just before half time, while queuing for drink at feile.

Agree on mick Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Rewatching the game there after coming home, Sexton nails his conversion from his try, and then the ref comes over and says something to him about the time he's taking to kick (which is fair enough, Sexton takes the piss), Jonny has this massive sour head on him. Shakes his head as if to say, what the **** is your man talking about, ref runs off, Sexton keeps shaking his head, "****ing ****", not sure what's the second word, some people earlier said eejit. Charitable.

Small thing but even if the ref looks about twelve years old, he's still the ****ing ref. Wasn't mad on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

If a tackler puts his arm up that high with force on a ball carrier it is red.

Cian Healy was able to carry very well and didn't need to put an elbow into a potential tacklers face.

Rewatching the game there after coming home, Sexton nails his conversion from his try, and then the ref comes over and says something to him about the time he's taking to kick (which is fair enough, Sexton takes the piss), Jonny has this massive sour head on him. Shakes his head as if to say, what the **** is your man talking about, ref runs off, Sexton keeps shaking his head, "****ing ****", not sure what's the second word, some people earlier said eejit. Charitable.

Small thing but even if the ref looks about twelve years old, he's still the ****ing ref. Wasn't mad on it.

The entire thing was picked up on the live feed!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Delighted with that performance last night. The negatives are the wallops taken by Ryan and Leavy, and I hope they're OK. There will be guys feeling battered and bruised today - Edinburgh are a tough side, but our defence was fantastic to keep them out when they were camped on our line. I thought Van der Flier had a great game - delighted he is back to where he was. I shuddered when Kearney came on so early in the game, but he played better than I have ever seen before - he'd a great game.

I wonder is Sexton going to get pinged for taking so long with his kicks at goal - they could do with a clock, like in the Top 14. He and Luke McGrath made a great half back partnership yesterday, but their subs did nicely too. I wish Luke could get a bit more hang time on his box kicks - they just seem to hand possession to the opposition most of the time. Larmour had another good match - I just wish he would sometimes do something other than scamper and dodge every time he gets the ball - it's becoming a bit predictable.

A good day's work yesterday, and I feel we're in a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Advertisement

Not disputing the decision, just the rediculous new law.

Advertisement