Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Sardonicat wrote: »
    You've never seen a Crispy Pancake, have you?

Quite recently I got a craving for crispy pancakes, hadnt had them since my teens, I used to love them. Never got them for dinner, my ma was a meat and 2 veg kind of woman but we had them as supper or snacks.

Anyway, in a mad burst of nostalgia I googled away and discovered that theyd stopped making crispy pancakes after the whole horsemeat scandal and that they had only recently reappeared, repackaged and waiting for me in a local Tesco.

Off I went joyfully to purchase a box of them, chicken and bacon for me, my favourite.

They say dont try to meet your heros. Well dont try to enjoy your childhood favourite foods after theyve been made over.

They were dry, floury, salty and horrible. Gone was that lovely oily breadcrumby outer that you could cook to crispiness with the molten lava white sauce interior that really only had 3 or 4 tiny pieces of horsemeat chicken and bacon. Instead there was a sort of doughy tough outer with an interior of sticky bits of recompositioned chicken (the horsemeat was far better). I binned the rest of the pack and felt disappointed for a week.

On a brighter note, an enduring memory of the 80s for me was Live Aid. Punctuated with the taste of a good coddle and lasting ALL DAY LONG that Saturday. And into the night. I remember the Saturday night bath and hair wash and a second helping of coddle before going to bed late, into those sheets that were white cotton with multicoloured faded stripes down them, drunk on coddle and rock music. And Bob (long before he was Sir Bob), his words echoing in my childs mind "The Irish are giving more money than the English!!!". Such pride I felt. It was before we thought Bob was a sell out and definitely before we thought Bono was a wanker.

The rest of the 80s is grey and looks like a Roddy Doyle film. But Live Aid was technicolour and coddle flavoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

....... wrote: »
    into those sheets that were white cotton with multicoloured faded stripes down them.

Ah them multicoloured sheets. Was there a house in Ireland that didn't have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Yellow CIE castoffs that Bus Eireann deemed unfit for fare paying passengers but good enough for school kids
    462349.jpeg

Jaysus that brings back some memories, a lot of them of a couple of w*nkers from older classes fecking you out of your seat so that they could stretch out across the bus.

Granted the one bright memory is of the bus driver lamping one of them who tried to lamp him when he threw him off the bus for acting the complete maggot.
    Those were the days when justice could be swift for the deserving.

Nowadays the Guards, social services would be called if a bus driver lamped a 17 year old and he would not alone lose his job but would be charged with assault.
    Erin_Gray_5.jpg

Oh much nice memories of Wilma Deering. :D:D

Oh and you oldies will recognise the actor that she hits on in the bar.

His name was John Quade and he acted in 4 movies with Clint Eastwood in the 70s and early 80s: High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Every Which Way But Loose, and Any Which Way You Can.

Oh and anyone remember Clyde ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,176 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

jmayo wrote: »
    Jaysus that brings back some memories, a lot of them of a couple of w*nkers from older classes fecking you out of your seat so that they could stretch out across the bus.

Granted the one bright memory is of the bus driver lamping one of them who tried to lamp him when he threw him off the bus for acting the complete maggot.
    Those were the days when justice could be swift for the deserving.

Nowadays the Guards, social services would be called if a bus driver lamped a 17 year old and he would not alone lose his job but would be charged with assault.

Oh much nice memories of Wilma Deering. :D:D

Oh and you oldies will recognise the actor that she hits on in the bar.

His name was John Quade and he acted in 4 movies with Clint Eastwood in the 70s and early 80s: High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Every Which Way But Loose, and Any Which Way You Can.

Clyde the orangutan? John quade was brilliant as the leader of the biker gang.

jmayo wrote: »

Please dont remind me about Clyde. He was being horribly abused to act in the films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Remember me Motha buying Panky bars and hiding them in the press. Big 80's wafer snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,021 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ah them multicoloured sheets. Was there a house in Ireland that didn't have them?

Foxford red tartan rugs in the back window of the car...

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Bomber jackets , docs and duffel coats. Followed on my nylon tracksuit jackets with ludicrous color schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

No North Face Jackets back in them days

Green Army Surplus coats and about 3/4 of the lads in the school wore them

whitey1 wrote: »

Id one of these:

s-l300.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,176 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Id one of these:

s-l300.jpg

the british army 1937 pattern small pack. I had one as well except mine was more tan than khaki

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The west german parka?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Id one of these:

s-l300.jpg

With the edges frayed a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Id one of these:

s-l300.jpg
    Mine was yellow and covered in graffiti. Most bags were covered in graffiti in those days. Is that done anymore the school bags designer now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Coming while looking at Farrah Fawcett posters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Mine was yellow and covered in graffiti. Most bags were covered in graffiti in those days. Is that done anymore the school bags designer now?

we used to soak them in bleach to get the cool colours, same with jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A lot of talk about the 70s and 80s being so grey. From my living memory, I didn't really notice it. But looking back through the RTE archives (which I highly recommend) the footage does indeed look very dour in terms of clothing and and backgrounds/buildings. As for clothing in the 80s my fellow school goers wore such fooking boring clothes and shoes it drove me crazy. Parka jackets and stupid Palestinian type scares all black and white with tassle type bull****. The shoes were as bad and none of it was to do with money. I followed a different trend and wore grey trench coats mixed with bright shirts, mauve scarves. Lots of different colours. As a result I was accused of being gay by the stupid fookers wearing the greens and greys and sour ****e making them look like coal miners. Some of my secondary school class mates looked like vagrants due to bad taste.

For clarity. I was Dublin based and Smart Brothers were the go too spot at least once a year and Simon Harts for the footwear. Throw in O'Connors for some shirts and Denim. All was good. I came from nothing, but then didn't piss away my part time job wages on cans when I was 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Grandeeod wrote: »
    A lot of talk about the 70s and 80s being so grey. From my living memory, I didn't really notice it. But looking back through the RTE archives (which I highly recommend) the footage does indeed look very dour in terms of clothing and and backgrounds/buildings. As for clothing in the 80s my fellow school goers wore such fooking boring clothes and shoes it drove me crazy. Parka jackets and stupid Palestinian type scares all black and white with tassle type bull****. The shoes were as bad and none of it was to do with money. I followed a different trend and wore grey trench coats mixed with bright shirts, mauve scarves. Lots of different colours. As a result I was accused of being gay by the stupid fookers wearing the greens and greys and sour ****e making them look like coal miners. Some of my secondary school class mates looked like vagrants due to bad taste.

For clarity. I was Dublin based and Smart Brothers were the go too spot at least once a year and Simon Harts for the footwear. Throw in O'Connors for some shirts and Denim. All was good. I came from nothing, but then didn't piss away my part time job wages on cans when I was 15.

Brilliant post. I live the anger. The scruffy twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

storker wrote: »
    Arkwright-style shops in out of the way places with products in the window whose packaging had yellowed because they'd been there so long.

Could get a loaf of bread,a pair of pink bloomers(the ultimate passion killers),a handle for a shovel and a sock for a horse drawn plough in one small shop.Now that was a shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Could get a loaf of bread,a pair of pink bloomers(the ultimate passion killers),a handle for a shovel and a sock for a horse drawn plough in one small shop.Now that was a shop.

.... and a pint!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I remember that ad well. There was another one around the same time about bicycle safety that had a voiceover by Mike Murphy that began "so you're off to school on your bike".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Remember me Motha buying Panky bars and hiding them in the press. Big 80's wafer snack.

All treats had to be stashed away because "they'll only get eaten."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

branie2 wrote: »
    On the subject on Crispy pancakes, I remember the ads for them, involving a young boy writing in his diary about them.

"Mums still stuck in ospital avin moi baby sista" delivered in a cockney accent. Some time later it was replaced, at least on RTE, with a dubbed version where he had a neutral-ish Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Do you remember when you all pack up every Sunday in thr car and drive to your cousins for the evening. As soon as you would arrive .. youth told to go outside as the grown ups wanted to chat. No telly then

But sometimes you mother would get caught out when a set of cousins arrived on your house before ye got away... and she go mad as there would be no food for them. Sometimes good biscuits and cakes would be kept in reserve for such occasions and we all be sneaking in to the house hoping Aunt Mary would say....ahh give him a piece of cake!!! aND you would take it!!! Jeezus you ma had in in for you when they left!!! But it was worth it for CAKE!!!

A 1970s Irish safety film for kids called "Mind Yourself" really should have been about how to avoid the priest.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Mod fans, into the Who and the Jam.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Edgware wrote: »
    Coming while looking at Farrah Fawcett posters

Or Debbie Harry. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Or Debbie Harry. :)

And Stevie,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF4EPil8KKs

• Advertisement

Stevie is still hawt. :p

Advertisement