Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I think the important bit is that May says agreement by negotiation is still possible: she now has an agreement in her pocket that herself and the EU side will agree on at the last minute.

Now she just has to run the clock down until everyone can see that there is no time for anything else, and she will dare parliament to approve it or vote it down and precipitate a Mad Max no-deal Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If she wont back down over the backstop then that surely means no deal

• Registered Users Posts: 39,465 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

For those who say boris talk was it in anyway relevant ?

theresa may not a fan of the lib dems. Which I find funny given they(the conservatives) went into government with them in 2010.

I think the important bit is that May says agreement by negotiation is still possible: she now has an agreement in her pocket that herself and the EU side will agree on at the last minute.

Now she just has to run the clock down until everyone can see that there is no time for anything else, and she will dare parliament to approve it or vote it down and precipitate a Mad Max no-deal Brexit.
    That point is just been made by a Labour MP.

• Advertisement

A remain conservative MP(I'm assuming remain) making some good points.

Nigel Dodds of the DUP having his say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why is nobody simply asking TM why she agreed to the Backstop in the 1st place if she had no intention of ever honoring it

The conservative MP that was on morning Ireland this morning just spoke. He looks exactly like I expected him to look.

Is it lost on those saying that Northern Ireland won't be carved off that it's not physically attached to the UK ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Ian Dunt just tweeted he thought the chance for a deal was better before she started her speech. She has once again put down red lines that will need to be crossed before we can get to an agreement.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1051851278979162114?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ah well, time limit on the backstop is what she wants.
    I'd agree to a time limit to the back stop- but only a time limit which itself was limited in time AND space:

something like:
    "Imagine a giant lighthouse in the middle of NI, from which a "beam" of time limit sweeps the country so that every minute every section of NI was subject to the time limit of 1 second and NI is always subject to a connection to the UK - while ensuring that the border remains free (as for 59/60 seconds each part is within the SM)"

Works for everyone I feel- and is only slightly more ludicrous than Theresa May's request.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The conservative MP that was on morning Ireland this morning just spoke. He looks exactly like I expected him to look.

He's the guy (Redwood) that wanted to start a war with Spain over Gibraltar.

In a no deal scenario, the crossing at Gibraltar would just close.

[Actually, it was Howerd, but I think Redwood also said it on RTE]

She can repeat it again but it's not wrong that the DUP wont allow her.

Move the border ? What does that mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Mc Love wrote: »
    If she wont back down over the backstop then that surely means no deal

That's the idea. Wait until the last second, offer that up as the only deal or a crash out with nothing.

The extremists in the Tory party won't want to bring down the government and face a general election. The DUP will accept it, all they really care about is no border in the Irish sea.

Once it's passed she can resign in triumph at having "delivered" Brexit and let some other chump deal with the mess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

kuro68k wrote: »
    That's the idea. Wait until the last second, offer that up as the only deal or a crash out with nothing.

The extremists in the Tory party won't want to bring down the government and face a general election. The DUP will accept it, all they really care about is no border in the Irish sea.

Once it's passed she can resign in triumph at having "delivered" Brexit and let some other chump deal with the mess.

She could decide the the NI assembly could do with an election since it is nearly two years since it last sat. That might soften the cough of a few DUP NI assembly members.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

fash wrote: »
    I'd agree to a time limit to the back stop- but only a time limit which itself was limited in time AND space:

something like:
    "Imagine a giant lighthouse in the middle of NI, from which a "beam" of time limit sweeps the country so that every minute every section of NI was subject to the time limit of 1 second and NI is always subject to a connection to the UK - while ensuring that the border remains free (as for 59/60 seconds each part is within the SM)"

Works for everyone I feel- and is only slightly more ludicrous than Theresa May's request.
    I wouldn't like her doing my IT support.

"We've an excellent backup system for you. It works perfectly well until you actually have to use it, at which point we can't guarantee it will work. However it will definitely stop working in X years time, but don't worry, we're sure to have developed an even better system by then, so you won't need it anyway"

As Ian Dunt tweeted, it is hard to understand what the point of TM coming to the HoC today is.

She is telling them nothing and giving no answers. All that she has done is repainted a few red lines. Hardly what she should be doing so close to having to make a deal.

She is still doing the "everything to everyone" routine, groundhog day as Corbyn stated.

According to May, nothing has changed, except everything is better.

Actually, this is a real disaster of a statement from and for TM. There is literally no one agreeing with her position. Even those on her own party are arguing against her. and having to defend herself from every angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

kuro68k wrote: »

THe DUP will not give a tuppenny damn about fighting an election that they can present to their supporters a them saving their blessed union.
    They will quite happily cause one on the backstop and mop up more UUP supporters.
    They only even vaguely possibility of keeping them on board is a time limited backstop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Some people seem to think she's lost the plot

Not sure what Macron can say at this stage.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    According to May, nothing has changed, except everything is better.

She is just tapdancing to keep everyone talking and run the clock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm not watching, but I'm getting a vibe on twitter that this is going poorly for her - many Labour Corbyn-sceptic moderates that she has supposedly been targeting to get a vote through Westminster have made it clear in their questions in the house today that they are sticking to the 6 tests and are even beginning to mention a second refe Peoples Vote.
    Dominic Grieve, the type of high-profile pro-Remain Tory whose vote she would need to get a deal through parliament if ERG vote against her has also pretty much abandoned her and is talking about a Peoples Vote.

Hard to see how she gets anything through parliament.

TM seems to be offering the possibility that should she return with a No deal then the HoC could decide what to do next.

This was in answer to a question about a Peoples vote. This is different than her previous position, and very much opens up the possibility of a second Ref.

And going on what the Brexiteers have always claimed, that any show from the UK that it is willing to think again would immediately result in the EU giving it the worst deal, she has by extension just finished the negotiations.

Some British caller on eddie mair just stated that its the Irish that are causing issues for Brexit - the delusion is hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Nody wrote: »
    cool graph
    Thanks for that. If anything it shows Ireland and indeed the UK are not taking maximum advantage of the single market compared to other states. We both export roughly half to EU/row.

What exactly is this People's Vote supposed to decide?

Leave/Remain?

Deal or No Deal?

Corbyn or May?

What exactly is this People's Vote supposed to decide?

Leave/Remain?

Deal or No Deal?

Corbyn or May?

It is not meant to decide anything. It is simply meant to get them out of the current mess they find themselves in and give them some breathing space.

The hope is the people will sort something out because the politicians haven't a monkeys how they are going to fix this.

The peoples vote i believe is allowing the public vote on the deal that will be offered, it's not a second referendum. I dont see a peoples vote happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

She has some cheek referring everyone to the white paper .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement