Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

listermint wrote: »
    Get off their arse and start campaigning to councillors and TDs if they want change.

Do you seriously think that people up and down the country haven't been getting on to their local politicians for years over the problems they're having with travellers? If anything was being done, Casey would not have received that number of votes.

You know and I know that enacting change in an established political party is next to impossible. Even if a councillor or TD tries to do something, they'll be whipped and made to toe the party line. Even if the mainstream parties make noises sort of agreeing with Casey's points, it'll be mere lip service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Fun fact - the mayo Bourke family she comes from were major slave holders.
    She certainly carried on the talk down to people attitude with her .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

“You'd have us living in a backwater. Your devisive comments are as transparent as the solutions you offer for the gripes you come up with.” We live in a backwater. Boil notices, raw sewage discharged into the sea, joke infrastructure , housing crisis. A justice system that can’t lock anyone up! Lol! All areas that needed / need more investment, we do however have one world class area, the welfare spend.

Fair play to Casey for calling it as it is. But you need someone in there very articulate and with some nous, if this whole rotten to the core state , is to be taken to task ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

??? Why would it have to be more than 'my' opinion? Whose 'opinion' are you expressing?

So your claims of hate speech is just your opinion, with nothing to back it up?I thought you had evidence. Grand so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

The indefensible Phoenix Park remarks are an example. Why else would you demean a community like that? Can YOU explain it?

When you make a generalised point like his whole point around this issue and you cannot publicly defend them (and he has not been able to do it on a number of occasions) then it is safe to say they are based in a general hate of that community.

Would you say a better solution is to let them squat on people's land ? If I couldn't get away with that why should a traveller ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Now even the Irish times saying how we have gone to the left. Leo the leftist liar. If a party like renua can get 15-20% of vote, it would throw a hand grenade into Irish politics ...
    Forget the Gay marriage / abortion stuff . Its done . Run a platform against Rural Crime and the intimidation of old people in Rural Homes and the Casey Vote is there for the taking .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Now even the Irish times saying how we have gone to the left. Leo the leftist liar. If a party like renua can get 15-20% of vote, it would throw a hand grenade into Irish politics ...

Do you crack one off when thinking about that party, you're as bad as a drug pusher, it's funny though

• Registered Users Posts: 67,152 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

dor843088 wrote: »
    Would you say a better solution is to let them squat on people's land ? If I couldn't get away with that why should a traveller ?

It was a solution??? Are you guys for real?

The amount of nomadic travellers camping on the side of the road or illegally is a tiny percentage of what it used to be. It is dying out.

Leo the liar must have been on the red line to his propaganda mates in RTÉ, telling them to try and bury Casey! Probably told them there’ll be a license fee hike forthcoming if they do a good job!

Leo the liar must have been on the red like to his propaganda mates in RTÉ, telling them to try and bury Casey! Probably told them there’ll be a license fee hike forthcoming if they do a good job!

It was a terrible attempt at a hatchet job. Casey wasn't great but Tubs and the idiots from PP were absolute clowns.

• Advertisement

blinding wrote: »
    Forget the Gay marriage / abortion stuff . Its done . Run a platform against Rural Crime and the intimidation of old people in Rural Homes and the Casey Vote is there for the taking .
    Exactly, but I’d be running on an actual reward with programme, ie usc abolition and actual solutions to the housing crisis too. Force higher densities and reduce build cost , universal public housing actually ... forget going for ten percent of the vote, go to remove those enemies of the state ff and fg from power ...

It was always going to happen.

Supporters of a politician - who 'spoke the truth'(his truth) crying like babies because he was confronted/challenged by others who were speaking their 'truth'.

Fabulously ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭micks_address

I kinda see Casey's argument. That by classifying someone as being part of an ethic minority your automatically labelling them as outside of normal society. If that's the right term. Not that I necessarily agree with him

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Do you crack one off when thinking about that party, you're as bad as a drug pusher, it's funny though

There is only one party there that fits the bill at the moment renua. If you see my quote I said “like renua” ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I wonder how many of the travellers pay the Tv licence.
    Could we dig up that info, we could msybe ask how many have microchipped the dogs and bought licences for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I see the 'hate' nonsense is still being trotted out. I wonder will any examples of this hate speech be provided? Although Casey was referred to repeatedly as a racist yet none could back up this claim.

Just quoting this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I haven't read much of the thread but is it true or false that because traveller's are considered as an ethnic minority that they get more payment than the standard from the Social welfare? I heard this being bandied around but it surely cannot be true...Can it?

I kinda see Casey's argument. That by classifying someone as being part of an ethic minority your automatically labelling them as outside of normal society. If that's the right term. Not that I necessarily agree with him

Casey - A Derry man, had his own identity given 'parity of esteem and the right to inclusivity' enshrined in an international treaty. That is what SEMS was designed to do for this community, nothing more.

Wanderer78 wrote: »

There is only one party there that fits the bill at the moment renua. If you see my quote I said “like renua” ...

Of course you're entitled to your opinion and choice of voting preference, but they're not everyone's cup of tea, certainly not mine, it ll be interesting to see how they do in the next ge though, it may give an indication where Ireland is going

It was always going to happen.

Supporters of a politician - who 'spoke the truth'(his truth) crying like babies because he was confronted/challenged by others who were speaking their 'truth'.

Fabulously ironic.
    You seem to be the only one referring to Casey as a politician. No crying here dude, just find it hilarious how some try to be so dismissive of hundreds of thousands of their fellow citizens. He has said some stark and truthful things some nonsense aswell. Will he get in the Dail? Doubtful but he has started a discourse that is long overdue, votes there for any politician willing to call out the bs engaged in by the travelling community.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

How much more articulate do you need to be?

There is nothing beyond stating the 'soundbytes' since Casey started. He falls apart when questioned on his opinions.
    Evidenced again last night.

I am still laughing at the 'Phoenix Park' interlude and the idea that a mouthful like that could be defended or expanded on. Pure hate based rethoric designed to rabble rouse. And again, it has been successful to a degree, but I reckon there are a lot of IQ's considering their positions at the moment across the country. :D

Realistically I'd say he is just throwing out the idea of where it's socially acceptable to site travellers or how close to the aras we would be happy to have them congregate for any reason, and be on view, say when foreign dignitaries are visiting.
    We have cricket, horse back polo, a zoo, other sports and activities taking place there regularly, why not traveller college for instance?

You seem to be the only one referring to Casey as a politician. No crying here dude, just find it hilarious how some try to be so dismissive of hundreds of thousands of their fellow citizens. He has said some stark and truthful things some nonsense aswell. Will he get in the Dail? Doubtful but he has started a discourse that is long overdue, votes there for any politician willing to call out the bs engaged in by the travelling community.

:D:D:D:D There was a 'discourse' last night and he couldn't get past his loud mouth soundbytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

The traveler community are as Irish as everyone else, more so in some ways. Defining them as separate is I suspect, just a political thing or perhaps a tactic to use in legal argument. In my experience, the travelers are likable and hardworking but when they misbehave, problems arise.

On crime and drunken behavior, I would be inclined to apply a measure of brutality to all criminals and drunks, regardless of the community from which they hail. I am also opposed to the welfare state and the travelers are by no means the only recipients of welfare.

Surely, now is the time to bring back the stick so as to discipline the young. Of course, in days gone by, sailors and prisoners were occasionally birched for insubordination and perhaps such methods might prove effective when applied to the backs of those inmates who display outward signs of defiance or loutish aggression. Manners need to be imposed on those who fail to acquire them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Would Renua not be a natural home for Casey and his supporters? (Assuming that is that FF don't take him up on his offer to lead that party)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

tretorn wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the travellers pay the Tv licence.
    Could we dig up that info, we could msybe ask how many have microchipped the dogs and bought licences for them too.

Or bin and electricity charges?

One rule for them....

The traveler community are as Irish as everyone else, more so in some ways. Defining them as separate is just a political thing or perhaps a tactic to use in legal argument. In my experience, the travelers are likable and hardworking but when they misbehave, problems arise. That said, I would be inclined to apply a measure of brutality to all criminals regardless of the community from which they hail. I am also opposed to the welfare state and the travelers are by no means the only recipients of welfare.

Why not have an ould bitta crack with it, a fight to the death with criminals, could be staged in croker

:D:D:D:D There was a 'discourse' last night and he couldn't get past his loud mouth soundbytes.

Dude you seem overly focused on Casey my point was he opened a can of worms and lights are being shown in areas that some would rather didn't happen. Have to say though despite some nonsense on Casey's part he held his own against Tubs and the PP idiots. Worst attempt at an ambush ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Hi Guys!
    i'm back again after me 2 week ban,

Have i missed much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Phoebas wrote: »
    Would Renua not be a natural home for Casey and his supporters? (Assuming that is that FF don't take him up on his offer to lead that party)

For some for sure but I know of a lot of left leaning people who voted for Casey who wouldn't go near Renua with a barge pole.

• Advertisement

Dude you seem overly focused on Casey my point was he opened a can of worms and lights are being shown in areas that some would rather didn't happen. Have to say though despite some nonsense on Casey's part he held his own against Tubs and the PP idiots. Worst attempt at an ambush ever.

'Overly focused on Casey' on a thread about Casey?

I am noticing this tactic - wheneve a light is shone on Casey, the excuse is 'it's not about Casey' :D:D

Arranging a counterpoint to a controversial opinion on a debate show is not an 'ambush'.
    Juvenile excuse making for a shambolic performance/defence of his statements.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement