Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Oddly enough I seem to recall the Shinners weren't cheerleading Tubridy and RTE when he tried to ambush and corner Gerry Adams. Tubs also failed in that attempt. Tubridy is not able to take people down.

In fairness Tubs should have asked Sinn Fein for advice. Lots of ambush experience with those lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Show me where I called him a 'racist' then. (cue: more rants about me being tiresome and a huffy exit no doubt)

Few weasely words here;
    What Casey said was racial disrimination, what a lot of his supporters said was racist.

Racist comment no longer confines itself to race, ethnicity is also factored in.

You or I do not get to define ethnicity, we give our legislators that power.

More or less saying it here too with a crap joke that fell flat.
    I see the guy on the Ryanair flight says he 'is not racist'.

Can he be our next Prez? Get your bets on now! Just sayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,168 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You have circa 700 posts on this thread alone, you think I'm going to pick out every post where you described Casey as racist not happening. How did the guards deal with your compliant about Casey? Has he a court date yet?

Find me one post where I called Casey a 'racist' or withdraw the accusation. You seem very ready to lie.

We (the group that made the complaint) received a call from the Gardai to say they are investigating the complaint.
    Rather than expect anything to be done, it was more important to log the complaint.

In your opinion, it isn't - if it is a 'generalisation'(which it was) then it is done to exploit prejudice and hate that he knew exists = hate speech.

Well yeah... and the whole fact that it's not hate speech.

We (the group that made the complaint) received a call from the Gardai to say they are investigating the complaint.
    Rather than expect anything to be done, it was more important to log the complaint.

Ah, you probably get the concept of the protest vote so. Good stuff. I'd say the coppers filed that one straight away for you and ''your group'' and definitely didn't laugh their holes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

And neither party want him or those who would vote for him I would imagine.

If they did you would hear FF and SF politicians spouting the same hate speech and generalising that he does.

It also reflected a class divide between bith parties and the Working Class.

That is a concern for both long term, regardless of Casey or his views.

Find me one post where I called Casey a 'racist' or withdraw the accusation. You seem very ready to lie.

Not withdrawing anything dude, so you're part of a group complaint Pavee Point prehaps?
    I totally believe they rang you back. lol

Omackeral wrote: »
    Few weasely words here;

More or less saying it here too with a crap joke that fell flat.

Racial Discrimination is recognised as an offence against ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

In your opinion, it isn't - if it is a 'generalisation'(which it was) then it is done to exploit prejudice and hate that he knew exists = hate speech.

In your opinion it is. Would it not be a fact that his comments resonated with over 340k people in Ireland? Are you denying that Travellers are involved in crime? Their population to prison population ratio would indicate they are more likely to commit crime. Hate Speech is illegal, and rightly so, but he's not telling people what to believe, he made a comment which in itself is not racist. If he was telling everything that this is what they should believe, yes, that's hate speech, but he answered a question honestly with his own opinion, one which a lot of people agree with.

And I don't agree with comments like them not having options due to x, y or z. They don't have options because they don't want them. In my experience that is, again both professional and personal.

No doubt there are some fine Travellers out there who integrate with society and are trying to better themselves, but we won't see the effects of that for years to come. But you have to admit there is still a large volume of Travellers who don't want to integrate because it's more lucrative to be a criminal.

Casey may not be the spokesperson we need to get the views of the working class across, but he's the only one with balls to make these comments which do reflect the views of quite a lot of people in Ireland. And he's right. Pulling up on the side of the road or camping on peoples property is just that, and it's illegal, but it's allowed because of this protected status. You or I wouldn't get away with it.

And on the topic of sweeping generalisations, wouldn't calling everyone who voted for Casey bigoted or racist be the same? Maybe people don't agree with everything he's said and instead voted for him because everyone else didn't have anything to agree with?

Well yeah... and the whole fact that it's not hate speech.
    Hate speech is speech that attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.

The very definition of what Casey did.

• Advertisement

Not withdrawing anything dude, so you're part of a group complaint Pavee Point prehaps?
    I totally believe they rang you back. lol

You think I expected you to 'believe me'?? :D:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

In fairness Tubs should have asked Sinn Fein for advice. Lots of ambush experience with those lads.
    Indeed. They were well able to ambush poor Paul Quinn and proceeded to break every bone in his body and beat him to death. Nobody ever convicted and his poor parents broken hearted, they see his killers every day in the local village.

The Sinn Fein "equality" agenda in action. Many of those involved in that evil are still high up in Sinn Fein. So they can spare us the woe is me act. You would think butter wouldn't melt listening to them....:rolleyes:

I can tell you for a fact they don't Investigate bs based on nothing but someone's opinion .

You think I expected you to 'believe me'?? :D:D:D:D

Dude I saw the effort you have gone to defend that lad that put the loaf of bread on his head, sad stuff. You a fan of SF? Not surprised you're raging at Casey terrible result for SF. As for belief, I'd say the cops were in fits laughing at your groups indignation about Casey.

I can tell you for a fact they don't Investigate bs based on nothing but someone's opinion .

:D:D
    You have no idea how the complaint was formulated or presented or what was cited.

We know you will never believe it was done. So what?

Dude I saw the effort you have gone to defend that lad that put the loaf of bread on his head, sad stuff. You a fan of SF? Not surprised you're raging at Casey terrible result for SF. As for belief, I'd say the cops were in fits laughing at your groups indignation about Casey.

SF were on a hiding to nothing from the moment they announced their candidate.

I said at the time she was the wrong candidate and I certainly wouldn't be voting for her.

Make of that what you will. You can probably spin it with another web of lies.

:D:D
    You have no idea how the complaint was formulated or presented or what was cited.

We know you will never believe it was done. So what?

Of course if it makes you feel better I'll believe you. But the cops don't give a shiny one, they laughed at you and the rest of your group.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Didn't watch it, knew it was going to be a hatchet job. Looking at Twitter this morning, WOW! RTE are getting hammered for it. Search #PeterCasey or #LateLate and you can barely find a thing that still goes against Casey.

The political media establishment are very, very, very worried. They are panicking.

i'm sure they are.

not!
    end of the road would be up in arms at that I'd say.

why would i? if it's warrented and within the rules then i'm not going to have a problem with it.
    The United Nations document. They're trying to centralize and make migration a human right. Link to the document:

https://refugeesmigrants.un.org/sites/default/files/180713_agreed_outcome_global_compact_for_migration.pdf

International cooperation: The Global Compact is a non-legally binding cooperative framework that recognizes that no State can address migration on its own due to the inherently transnational nature of the phenomenon. It requires international, regional and bilateral cooperation and dialogue. Its authority rests on its consensual nature, credibility, collective
    ownership, joint implementation, follow-up and review.

National sovereignty: The Global Compact reaffirms the sovereign right of States to determine their national migration policy and their prerogative to govern migration within their jurisdiction, in conformity with international law. Within their sovereign jurisdiction, States may distinguish between regular and irregular migration status, including as they determine their legislative and policy measures for the implementation of the Global Compact, taking into account different national realities, policies, priorities and requirements for entry, residence and work, in accordance with international law.

People like Mary Robinson are moving towards centralizing the movement of people across different countries. So when I say, open borders and globalism, that is completely true.

the words "non-legally binding cooperative framework" say it all. it means countries don't have to sign up to it. therefore whatever the UN wishes to do, is only a wish.
    I think everyone agrees that Casey himself isn't an impressive political candidate and that the protest vote for him wasn't going to unseat Michael D. He was a shoe-in and was always going to be. What he has done, though, is put a crack in the wall of consensus around the travelling community. That they're all grand lads and lassies, nothing to see here, move along. Last night's Late Late was yet another attempt to shut down the dissenting voices.

I hope this isn't going to go away because the existing policies in this country have given us the travelling community as they are today. People who operate outside the law and face no consequences for their actions.

well no, he actually hasn't done any such thing, as nobody ever said all travelers are grand.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

SF were on a hiding to nothing from the moment they announced their candidate.

I said at the time she was the wrong candidate and I certainly wouldn't be voting for her.

Make of that what you will. You can probably spin it with another web of lies.

What web of lies dude? You claim Casey is racist and engaged in hate speech when asked to back it up you disappear or deflect. A tactic you use constantly. Anyway you're back to being tedious i'm bored.
    I will leave you with this though. Casey was never going to get elected the vast majority who voted for him knew this, he highlighted something that resonates with people right across the social/ political spectrum. He shown a light where certain members of society don't want a light shown. Your dismissive attitude and behaviour towards people with a differing opinion to you is amusing. Keep up the good work for SF.

Hate speech is speech that attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.

The very definition of what Casey did.

''Attacks''. Would ya go on out of that. He made an observation when asked a question, even if it was generalised or indeed incorrect. Anyway, here's what he said which goes against what you're claiming. For the 403rd time, I give you the man's hate filled words;

''Everyone should be treated equally and the State should not discriminate against anybody.''

-Peter Casey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I never called him a 'rascist'. So you can forget that one.

And I said that generalised comments about a community is 'hate speech' imo.

Ah well, that's your opinion, interesting article here from a few years ago.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/analysis/laws-against-hate-speech-muzzles-freedom-of-expression-366836.html

Blaaz wrote: »
    Why are you saying gaurds shouldn't investigate complaints??

They should investigate every complaint no matter how spurious and not laugh at people...what's point in having a police force if you'll just want them to ignore complaints from those you disagree with

I didn't say that at all. I used the words straight away for a reason. It's hardly on the upper scale of criminal enterprise is it? I'm sure they filled out the necessary paperwork though and definitely didn't think it was a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The guards are probably still rolling on the ground laughing.
    You keep giving Francie. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

''Attacks''. Would ya go on out of that. He made an observation when asked a question, even if it was generalised or indeed incorrect. Anyway, here's what he said which goes against what you're claiming. For the 403rd time, I give you the man's hate filled words;

''Everyone should be treated equally and the State should not discriminate against anybody.''

-Peter Casey

I think at this stage what he actually said doesn't matter to people, just what they can be offended at

i'm sure they are.

not!

Sick banter bro, really caught me with that NOT at the end!

The guards are probably still rolling on the ground laughing.
    You keep giving Francie. Hilarious.

It's ''the group'' I find funniest. Who else would be in that? Maybe his Mam to humour him, a John Connors fan and then one or two from here perhaps :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It doesn't matter that Casey is unpolished in media performances, because that is what they are, performances. It is his message however garbled that is important. People have been silenced up to his arrival on the scene, now they feel they may after all have a voice at last.

The fact that he was a bit muddled was kinda fun, and I reckon he is winding up everyone with talk of the P Park, joining FF and becoming Teeshock and so on, but his primary message still stands. Travellers are NOT a different race, they are Irish with an often nasty sub culture, but that is all.

In fact by gaining ethnic status Travellers have further corralled themselves into a corner with labels galore. At the end of the day they are Irish and really should abide by the rules that all the rest of us have to observe day in day out.

Casey is also a champion for those out working paying into the SW fund. Pensioners Disabled and Carers excepted, most people working are fed up of the long term unemployed cohort who appear to have everything handed to them, whilst those out working and paying for it get absolutely nothing apart from Child Benefit and an under six MC.

Think about the equality there. Or lack thereof. That is the message I am getting from Casey anyway. About bloody time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭MFPM

tretorn wrote: »
    Mass immigration of people who dont belong in a western democracy where everyone has equal rights is doomed to fail. These people dont belong here and will never belong here while they hang onto their feudal beliefs and way of life.

Look at France and see what has happened there, look at Germany and envisage what it will be like in ten years. Look at the Netherlands where Muslims are becoming very strident and causing even this most liberal of all countries to move to the right.Look at Sweden, the same effect there.

Do we really want all these problems in twenty years time.

At least you don't aim your bigotry just at Travellers....Interesting findings to contradict your nonsense here....

% of people who would be willing to have Muslims or Jews in your family..

Netherlands right at the top of the Tree - 88% Muslims - 96% Jews
    Germany - 55%- 69%
    Sweden - 81% - 92%

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/stark-east-west-european-differences-on-attitudes-religion-and-identity-1.3680854

What web of lies dude? You claim Casey is racist and engaged in hate speech when asked to back it up you disappear or deflect. A tactic you use constantly. Anyway you're back to being tedious i'm bored.

I know you guys have difficulty comprehending stuff, so i will leave this here again. It is more than adequately explained here that what Casey engaged in was 'hate speech'. Read it slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭shady acres

It's ''the group'' I find funniest. Who else would be in that? Maybe his Mam to humour him, a John Connors fan and then one or two from here perhaps :P

it's not funny at all
    they have their best detectives on the case

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement