Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

listermint wrote: »
    Not trying to be condescending. I'm trying to comprehend why people are so negative. I couldn't fathom being that way.

Jesus it's like why bring the world down a few notches.

There's no need for it. So what is it that makes people do it.

We all have families would you want your kids going around with this sort of bile outlook on life

I wouldn't. No thanks which is why I question people on it. And why I respond to posters that subscribe to it.

If one person stops and says actually yeah he might have a point there's no need for this unadulterated anger at everything. Then I've at least impacted someone for a minute.

So you're not trying to be condescending? So it just comes naturally so without you noticing. Seems the internet is really not a good place for you. May I suggest you retreat to what you deem as a safe space. People can call out bs when they see it you seem to want to close down discussion because you are unhappy with the opinions being expressed. Anyway you don't know me but feel entitled to post the bs you did. No need to engage you further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

What is the current situation with the houses in Tipperary.

Are they ready to be occupied and lying there empty.

Would any insurance company insure them if they are unoccupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The whole point of racism is that a person is of a different race. You can't have racism against a minority group that is not of a different race.

I mean how ****ing braindead do you have to be to come up with that? You couldn't make this **** up.

This does not/should not get the dignity of an argument. There is no opinion and counteropinion to this, it's a joke.

That is incorrect. The internationally agreed upon definition of racial discrimination includes ethnicity and nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,060 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I would have thought a person with a BA in Policing to be able to interpret a simple request.

Where in the legislation does it say that a
    A statement of complaint from the private owner or an order from the local council is required to move them. How is that not different?

is required?

You also quoted the wrong section of the Act btw.

This is the section covering it:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2002/act/9/section/24/enacted/en/html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Actually, they're looking for up to €800,000.

Oh get over yourself. Lots of us are happy with our lives, but we're sick of paying for the lazy life-dolers, the travellers who take without giving, the criminals who get to walk scott free. We're sick of paying for everything and then getting nothing when we need it. But, at the same time, you're still in here replying to everyone. Is this where you get your happiness?

we get public services. roads, education, health. hardly nothing. correctly we don't get a medal, a pat on the back, or told how great we are however.
    Edward M wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter though, as long as a percentage of or any reside or use land that they aren't entitled to his statement is valid.
    I know of a few places, outside Ballinasloe and around Galway that there are illegal camps, Spanish Eyes just mentioned around Dublin Airport, I'm sure there are other places.
    Casey statement is valid, you'll have a hell of a job proving otherwise.

no, no, casey's statement isn't valid. he stated that all travelers are illegally camping on other people's land
    if he had said "some travelers camp illegaly on land they don't own" then his statement would be valid because some do. however he didn't, ergo his statement is invalid.
    tretorn wrote: »
    Ms Cash has expressed hatred towards our democratically elected Government. its impossible to listen to her screeching for more than two seconds but the vitriol is there.

so no different to quite a lot of the population who have expressed "hatred" (in reality anger) toards our democratically elected Government.
    That's just it. It's the same legislation, but 9 years of having to do this and that is the internal process, because of the protected status and to avoid allegations of racism by the Gardai.

which "protected" status are you refering to? because it's certainly not their ethnic status, which does not protect them from the consiquences of breaking the law.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

MFPM wrote: »
    In her situation hardly surprising although if you could post her comments we could judge for ourselves if it's hatred and not just frustration and anger and on that front she'd be with hundreds of thousands of people who are homeless or on hospital trolleys or waiting lists.

Homeless my arse.

Hey out and pay your own way in life.

Only one of these 3 parties are looking to be elected though...

No election yet that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,708 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So you're not trying to be condescending? So it just comes naturally so without you noticing. Seems the internet is really not a good place for you. May I suggest you retreat to what you deem as a safe space. People can call out bs when they see it you seem to want to close down discussion because you are unhappy with the opinions being expressed. Anyway you don't know me but feel entitled to post the bs you did. No need to engage you further.

But here's the problem.

There is no opinions being expressed. It's just constant bile.

If you want actually opinions by all means have a discussion. Talk about problems and discuss solutions. This thread isn't that. In fact is it even a thread.

It shows how you view discourse if you trot out lines like safe space. Does it make you feel the big lad. Because there's a few big lads on here who are showing up the extent of their ability to have a discussion.

So go on tell us what's with the bile. Give us some actual opinion and if you want.. why not try give some solutions that's what we have boards for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Good for you.

What are their current policies?

And do you know they have one TD . What's his name?

They have 0 TDs
    Yep a failed pointless party going no where. You can vote for Keith Redmond - jumped ship from FG to Renua - likely to lose his seat in the locals next year, despicable individual but right up your street I'd say.

Redmond is Independent , left Renua 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have no idea, but I doubt they are occupied right now.

This development just shouts out that Travellers are "OTHER" They decided that by welcoming ethnic status though.

Casey is right, they are Irish and not a different race, but show me a non Traveller person on the housing list that gets room for a horse and stables, and grazing.

It is our taxpayer money. We should demand accountability for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

no, no, casey's statement isn't valid. he stated that all travelers are illegally camping on other people's land
    if he had said "some travelers camp illegaly on land they don't own" then his statement would be valid because some do. however he didn't, ergo his statement is invalid.

Can you link to that.?

They have 0 TDs

Redmond is Independent , left Renua 2016.

Thanks for the correction .was unaware

In her situation hardly surprising although if you could post her comments we could judge for ourselves if it's hatred and not just frustration and anger and on that front she'd be with hundreds of thousands of people who are homeless or on hospital trolleys or waiting lists.

How many previous convictions has she now?

Lovely person I am sure with total respect for those who are paying her way.

I would have thought a person with a BA in Policing to be able to interpret a simple request.

Where in the legislation does it say that a

is required?

You also quoted the wrong section of the Act btw.

This is the section covering it:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2002/act/9/section/24/enacted/en/html

Apologies, it's been over 2 years since I even considered looking at legislation again. Also I'm at work so can't fully look into it. Funny that it's an amendment to the Act i quoted but isn't contained within it. I digress.

And yes, again, you are right that there are no special exemptions, but the law and the implementation of the law aren't always the same. I had been involved in numerous cases where we tried to move on illegally camped travellers, only to be told by higher up to get a statement of complaint or an order for removal from the council before doing anything. You won't see that written down anywhere, but that was the process.

Edit: Section 13 is what we used when they were just 'having a look' at other peoples property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

This thread has descended in to the who's who of grievances.

Travellers, boooo travellers
    Muslims , boooo hssss Muslims.
    Social welfare recipients, boo layout abouts.
    Sinnfein , ha look at the shinners they must be going mad.
    FG FF , left liberals
    Leo, look at him being all pc. Boo pc.

If none of this as actually rings bells as being far right . Then i actually don't know what is wrong with posters.

Everyone is a target here . And there's a real core of posters that are aiming their hatred at anyone they don't like.

The thead is utter lunacy and it has all the negative bile that you've had in after hours over the years.

Bile, negativity , unbridled anger , hatred.

Actually it's pretty disgusting and depressing in equal measure. Frankly I don't actually get how people have any happiness in their lives if this is the negative crap they subscribe to.

Confirmation Bias..

You’re just seeing the extremes.

There are plenty of posters on here that have reasonable and rational views.

It seems to be the only thing you guys have to fall back on. Play the extreme card even though no one said anything but the truth..

Rennaws wrote: »
    Confirmation Bias..

You’re just seeing the extremes.

There are plenty of posters on here that have reasonable and rational views.

It seems to be the only thing you guys have to fall back on. Play the extreme card even though no one said anything but the truth..

What posters. Everytime I've asked for solutions to issues people raise they literally change the goalposts

No solutions just bile.

There is no confirmation bias I'm reading all the posts.

Then they double down on the rethoric.

In fact it's usually everyone else's fault. That's what people void of solutions use as a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,060 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Apologies, it's been over 2 years since I even considered looking at legislation again. Funny that it's an amendment to the Act i quoted but isn't contained within it. I digress.

And yes, again, you are right that there are no special exemptions, but the law and the implementation of the law aren't always the same. I had been involved in numerous cases where we tried to move on illegally camped travellers, only to be told by higher up to get a statement of complaint or an order for removal from the council before doing anything. You won't see that written down anywhere, but that was the process.

Ah, so it was anecdote and not legislation.

Thanks for clearing that up.
    The law applies equally to all- that it is not being implemented is the fault of those who administer the law.

But here's the problem.

If you want actually opinions by all means have a discussion. Talk about problems and discuss solutions. This thread isn't that. In fact is it even a thread.

It shows how you view discourse if you trot out lines like safe space. Does it make you feel the big lad. Because there's a few big lads on here who are showing up the extent of their ability to have a discussion.

So go on tell us what's with the bile. Give us some actual opinion and if you want.. why not try give some solutions that's what we have boards for.

I wasn't going to respond to you but you claim my posts contain 'bile' . I believe my post count is roughly 120 so should be easy enough for you . Quote away.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Hopefully as a result of this very "interesting Presidential" election the expenses associated with the Presidency are audited independently at the earliest opportunity.

Higgins promised that we would be given information regarding the expenses but someone completely independent should be examining the accounts to see are we getting value for money.

I also think the salary for the job should come to no more than 50,000 euros, this is more than enough for a not very taxing job which has free accomodation as a perk.

I think President Higgins should do his bit for the homeless and allow a traveller family move into his family home while he is comfortable in the Aras until 2025, would it accommodate Margaret Cash and her family. There must be many empty rooms in the Aras too that could surely accomodate single homeless men, President Higgins said he was going to do wonderful things in his next tenure so lets start with small steps first.

• Advertisement

What posters. Everytime I've asked for solutions to issues people raise they literally change the goalposts

No solutions just bile.

There is no confirmation bias I'm reading all the posts.

Then they double down on the rethoric.

In fact it's usually everyone else's fault. That's what people void of solutions use as a stick.

Give us solutions so. Thanks.

Guessing none

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

perhapse a FOI to tip county council would answer your question.
    Homeless my arse.

Hey out and pay your own way in life.

not viable for some for various reasons.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Ah, so it was anecdote and not legislation.

Thanks for clearing that up.
    The law applies equally to all- that it is not being implemented is the fault of those who administer the law.

I was giving my experience with it, call it anecdotal if you wish. Ever involved in the moving of travellers who were illegally camped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

perhapse a FOI to tip county council would answer your question.

not viable for some for various reasons.

Still waiting for your link eotr.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Not trying to be condescending. I'm trying to comprehend why people are so negative. I couldn't fathom being that way.

Jesus it's like why bring the world down a few notches.

There's no need for it. So what is it that makes people do it.

We all have families would you want your kids going around with this sort of bile outlook on life

I wouldn't. No thanks which is why I question people on it. And why I respond to posters that subscribe to it.

If one person stops and says actually yeah he might have a point there's no need for this unadulterated anger at everything. Then I've at least impacted someone for a minute.

Have you any idea how much you project your anger ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

But here's the problem.

The lack of self awareness in this post is breathtaking, honestly.

Give us solutions so. Thanks.

Guessing none

Solutions to what specifically.

The only thing I've raised is that Casey was selling people air and that if they have problems with how he countries run then its better and more impactful to discuss with councillors and TDs.

So yeah I give solutions.

Over to you . And please not more rethoric we've enough if that.

Rennaws wrote: »
    Have you any idea how much you project your anger ?

Obviously I don't because I don't have anger.

I think your might confuse perplexing with anger.

Do you only reserve your discourse for minority groups or is everyone a target?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Act disagrees with you.

He cannot hide behind 'it is just my opinion'.

You've a former serving Garda telling you that your claim is total and utter bollox and you still won't budge. Can't decide if you're arrogant or ignorant or both. The little sycophant who thanked it is somehow even worse! Deluded the pair of ya.

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    The lack of self awareness in this post is breathtaking, honestly.

Oh I'm very self aware .

Frankly it's one of the reasons I call out irrational people in the internet.

It really feels like alot of people on the thread would rather have minority groups wiped away than understand what's needed to help them get out of the cycle they are stuck in.

Imaginative

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement