Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Rew wrote: »
    Has anyone bought aluminium profile and diffuser and put the lightstrip in that? Im wondering what it takes to get the diffuser to look uniform and not spotty.

I used these ones

its 24mm deep and still quite spotty . I'll take some pictures tonight and post them here.

carq wrote: »
    So every portion of lights needs an individual mains connection via its own plug ?
    Or can i have only 1 plug and split out the wiring somehow if i know where the strips will be going ?

41jIFnhLQnL._AC_US327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

You use one lightstrip and then can add as many extensions as you need.

for example if wanted to light under 5 meters of kitchen cabinets you'd need a 2m strip + three 1m extensions . And theres only one plug

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

donegal. wrote: »

Up to a maximum of 10 1m extensions giving a total length of 12m

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

remember also that the extensions reduce the overall brightness of your strip. that's an issue for undercabinet lighting, our under cabinet is just about ok with 2 extensions, it is quite spotty though and you need wider profiles than normal. If you put in an opal profile it's less spotty but light will probably be too dim. I ended up taking diffuser off altogether to get about the best result..

imo more than 2 extensions is only suitable for background lighting, I have this above island unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Does anyone have much experience with these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Cable-Adapter-Philips-Lightstrip/dp/B01MRG2ISW/ref=sr_1_6?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1540994508&sr=1-6&keywords=Litcessory

I have 4 floating shelves in two sets of two and I was going to set them up with 2 lightstrip sets. Each one being a 2m strip with the power cable behind the wall and out the screw hole for the shelf along the first shelf then cat5 through the screw hole on the other side behind the wall to the second shelf above it.

Similar setup to this, with independent strips for the 2 on the left and 2 on the right. I have a hue bulb in the centre of the room as well.

floating-shelf-above-wall-shelves_124522-728x450.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Does anyone have much experience with these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Cable-Adapter-Philips-Lightstrip/dp/B01MRG2ISW/ref=sr_1_6?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1540994508&sr=1-6&keywords=Litcessory

I have 4 floating shelves in two sets of two and I was going to set them up with 2 lightstrip sets. Each one being a 2m strip with the power cable behind the wall and out the screw hole for the shelf along the first shelf then cat5 through the screw hole on the other side behind the wall to the second shelf above it.

Similar setup to this, with independent strips for the 2 on the left and 2 on the right. I have a hue bulb in the centre of the room as well.

floating-shelf-above-wall-shelves_124522-728x450.jpg

i used these
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/272544586488?ul_noapp=true

parallel up, could make yourself either, but they worked fine for me and a bit simpler and not as bulky if you don't mind the wait to get them made to order.

He does spacer cables too, which is more like your original plan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I actually have some simliar to those but too short, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-Cable-Philips-Lightstrip-Plus/dp/B01MFGL1HR/ref=sr_1_9?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1540995659&sr=1-9&keywords=Litcessory

The problem I have is they are quite wide and I font they will fit through the hole I have available, I figured cat 5 would be a lot narrower.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

for example if wanted to light under 5 meters of kitchen cabinets you'd need a 2m strip + three 1m extensions . And theres only one plug

I understand that.
    My point is if i wanted 1 strip above cabinets and say 2 strips below cabinets , and the below cabinets strips are broken by a fridge in the middle.
    Do i need 3 separate connections to the mains for each portion of lighting?
    Or can i have 1 mains plug connection and have wiring sent to all 3 areas from the plug ?

I understand that.
    My point is if i wanted 1 strip above cabinets and say 2 strips below cabinets , and the below cabinets strips are broken by a fridge in the middle.
    Do i need 3 separate connections to the mains for each portion of lighting?
    Or can i have 1 mains plug connection and have wiring sent to all 3 areas from the plug ?

would you like to control their brightness/colour individually or would you be happy for them all to be the same?

would you like to control their brightness/colour individually or would you be happy for them all to be the same?

Same would be fine

• Advertisement

Same would be fine

You could probably use copacetics solution above (post 1447) and have them all from one controller / one plug.

You could probably use copacetics solution above (post 1447) and have them all from one controller / one plug.

Thanks
    Spacer Cable may be the best / Easiest solution if i can hide the cables under the units .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My Hue set arrived today, ooooh the excitement, downloaded the app in work, even got the Halloween stuff ready, got home and of course I don't have any E27 fittings in the house, a friend of mine will swop them out for me but would anyone know of a bricks and mortar shop to pick up adaptors, would B&Q have them?

Clareman wrote: »
    My Hue set arrived today, ooooh the excitement, downloaded the app in work, even got the Halloween stuff ready, got home and of course I don't have any E27 fittings in the house, a friend of mine will swop them out for me but would anyone know of a bricks and mortar shop to pick up adaptors, would B&Q have them?

Ikea should have them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ikea should have them

Sorry, I should have said I'm in Limerick tomorrow so need somewhere there, or in Ennis

If you can wait a few days, I’d say eBay,

Failing that, and you desperately want to get hooked up ASAP, perhaps look at buying cheap lamps with E27 fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Clareman wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have said I'm in Limerick tomorrow so need somewhere there, or in Ennis

I got them in James Brohan hardware store in Ennis before. Think they were about 2.50 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Phillips Hue Dimmer Switch £14.39 on Amazon.

8zrbkm.jpg

Rew wrote: »
    Has anyone bought aluminium profile and diffuser and put the lightstrip in that? Im wondering what it takes to get the diffuser to look uniform and not spotty.
    I used these ones

its 24mm deep and still quite spotty . I'll take some pictures tonight and post them here.

I didn't realise it was so blurry but you'll get an idea

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I didn't realise it was so blurry but you'll get an idea

Cheers, got my profile and strips today and they are very spotty unfortunately, the spacing on the Philips strips is a real pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

I pretty much have my whole house kitted out in Hue white ambience bulbs now. The one room left is my kitchen which i previously installed regular GU10 leds as the cost would have been crazy for white ambience gu10's (14 downlighters GU10s).

I was half toying with the idea of buying the equivilent innr/Ikea bulbs for this room as they are much cheaper? Or else just get the regular white Hue bulbs. As anyone any experience of innr or Ikea bulbs with the hue system? I read they work but not sure if i'd be better just going for Hue white.

Any help or one better than the other?

Thanks

EDIT POSTED IN OTHER THREAD IN ERROR

Is the Hue Iris any worth a look? I see Woodies are discounting them to €50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

Rew wrote:
    Is the Hue Iris any worth a look? I see Woodies are discounting them to €50

I've an iris I got on the cheap on black Friday sale few years back. They are good but wouldn't be a main light more of an against the wall light type

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Guys is it possible to have two different sensors triggering the same lights?

I have two sensors in the house, one in the hall and one on the landing. The hall one activates the two hall lights and the landing one the landing light.
    There are times when it takes a little too long for the second sensor in the sequence to activate. So you maybe half way up or down the stairs before the second one activates, which isn’t ideal.

Could I have both sensors set as triggers for the three lights? So the hall and landing lights come on when either sensor is triggered? It would be a much neater solution for me than my current one.

I haven’t looked at it in the app yet so decided to ask your good selves in here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

adox wrote: »
    Could I have both sensors set as triggers for the three lights? So the hall and landing lights come on when either sensor is triggered? It would be a much neater solution for me than my current one.

Yes, their is a routine for that under the labs section. I've two motion sensors triggering two lights in the hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Have my Google Mini and 2 hues in the kitchen working fine and on my home App. This morning I put two bulbs into my sitting room but home app can't find them. Is it because they are not in same room as mini? How can I get around this? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Have my Google Mini and 2 hues in the kitchen working fine and on my home App. This morning I put two bulbs into my sitting room but home app can't find them. Is it because they are not in same room as mini? How can I get around this? Thanks

I presume they are added to your hue hub, then you probably just need to sync with your google home.

Try "hey google sync my devices".

Hue iOS app got support for Friends of hue switches today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Tried that but lights still now showing on Google home app. When I ask the mini to turn on the lights she says Philips hue not available right now

Ok just not I asked Google to turn off all the light. The lights went off but Google Mini says she cant reach her at the moment and they still don't appear on app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tried that but lights still now showing on Google home app. When I ask the mini to turn on the lights she says Philips hue not available right now

Ok just not I asked Google to turn off all the light. The lights went off but Google Mini says she cant reach her at the moment and they still don't appear on app?

Try rebooting them all and carry out any updates needed with all lamps powered on.

Advertisement