Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Finally got it working. I cleared cache and data and force stopped the app and when i opened it again all lights were visible. Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭paulbok

I know this has come up on separate threads about smart switches, but Hue have tweeted on some of the friends of hue switches due to be released .
    Checked with them and they have now confirmed they do replace the existing switch, wireless in communication rather than fully wireless like the Hue dimmer.
    No release date, prices or link to buy but should be shortly.
    I'd imagine they all want to be on the market for black Friday / Xmas.

https://twitter.com/tweethue/status/1060841122229039104?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

paulbok wrote: »
    I know this has come up on separate threads about smart switches, but Hue have tweeted on some of the friends of hue switches due to be released .
    Checked with them and they have now confirmed they do replace the existing switch, wireless in communication rather than fully wireless like the Hue dimmer.
    No release date, prices or link to buy but should be shortly.
    I'd imagine they all want to be on the market for black Friday / Xmas.

https://twitter.com/tweethue/status/1060841122229039104?s=19

So i contact Vimar personally to find out about this as they were due out in October. The guy I spoke with said they dont have them on sale as of yet but expects they will be out end of November 2018/ Start of December 2018 so i am eagerly waiting.

I did though order a Ziaomi Switch about 2 weeks ago but it has not come as of yet.

https://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_610095.html?wid=1433363&currency=EUR&vip=15834689&gclid=CjwKCAiA_ZTfBRBjEiwAN6YG4dd7vhe6WV0maHWs7nMve3MD8klBJl_t0zsThQjuaoRCnIxWqCZA7RoCVD4QAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Brian017

Anyone have a hue motion sensor outside? How does it fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 denisfarran

Brian017 wrote: »

I have one outside under a north-facing porch since last May. Working perfectly. About 6 or 7 metres range. Never gets rained on, but has been exposed to -2 degrees one night about a fortnight ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah I have one outside for the last few weeks. Its under the eves in a sheltered spot, no problems so far.

Rew wrote: »
    Yeah I have one outside for the last few weeks. Its under the eves in a sheltered spot, no problems so far.

Thanks, what’s the field of view like, do you have to move directly in front of it? Or can you stand back a few inches from it? I’m planning on placing it on the side of my wall beside my front door

EDIT: or if I put it beside my porch light facing down would that work?

https://imgur.com/a/ew6TdpX

Thanks, what’s the field of view like, do you have to move directly in front of it? Or can you stand back a few inches from it? I’m planning on placing it on the side of my wall beside my front door

EDIT: or if I put it beside my porch light facing down would that work?

https://imgur.com/a/ew6TdpX

Looks similar to where I put mine, range seems to be about 3 meters which is perfect for what i need (tuning on a couple out outdoor/porch lights)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

adox wrote: »
    Guys is it possible to have two different sensors triggering the same lights?

I have two sensors in the house, one in the hall and one on the landing. The hall one activates the two hall lights and the landing one the landing light.
    There are times when it takes a little too long for the second sensor in the sequence to activate. So you maybe half way up or down the stairs before the second one activates, which isn’t ideal.

Could I have both sensors set as triggers for the three lights? So the hall and landing lights come on when either sensor is triggered? It would be a much neater solution for me than my current one.

I haven’t looked at it in the app yet so decided to ask your good selves in here.

FYI I set this up within the app without any issues.

Rew wrote: »
    Looks similar to where I put mine, range seems to be about 3 meters which is perfect for what i need (tuning on a couple out outdoor/porch lights)

Sounds good. I went ahead and ordered one there

• Advertisement

Sounds good. I went ahead and ordered one there

Im very happy with it, its handy to be able to see the temperature outside as well

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Anyone have any ideas on debugging lights? I.e some way of tracking what is turning lights off?
    I have two porch lights wh worked perfectly for months with white bulbs in them and a sunset/sunrise routine. Changed them to colour bulbs for Halloween and then afterward removed Halloween app and setup routine again. They keep failing to come on, or coming on then going off during evening.

Have tried all sorts but nothing seems to make a difference.

I had an electrician out today to install some hue spotlights. He said the hue spotlight is smaller than a normal spotlight and won’t fit a normal spotlight housing normally and that the hue spotlight would hang down from the ceiling a bit as a result. How did anyone here get them flush to the ceiling?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I had an electrician out today to install some hue spotlights. He said the hue spotlight is smaller than a normal spotlight and won’t fit a normal spotlight housing normally and that the hue spotlight would hang down from the ceiling a bit as a result. How did anyone here get them flush to the ceiling?

Need to buy an open GU10 holder where the contacts are on a plug & the bulb is held in by a spring

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

There is a type of GU10 fitting where the holder and the electrical connection are 2 different parts, independent from each other. and the space for the bulb is only limited by the amount of space between the ceiling, and the floor above it, which in 99.99999% of situations should be more than adequate

I'm guessing you have something like this, where the space is limited as it's an enclosed unit, and a Hue GU10 colour won't fit. A Hue GU10 White
    Ambiance or White Only will fit though as they are identical in size to regular GU10 bulbs[/QUOTE]

Would this do the job? GU10 holder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Can the coloured Hue bulbs through out "normal" white light like a standard warm white bulb?

Soarer wrote: »
    Can the coloured Hue bulbs through out "normal" white light like a standard warm white bulb?

Yes. You can chose any temperature along the white spectrum from cool to warm white

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, they are actually called "Colour and White Ambiance", so they can do the full range of different whites like the White Ambiance only bulbs.

There are 3 tiers of Hue Bulb

White Only - Warm White only - like a standard light bulb
    White Ambiance - Warm (yellowish) to Cold (blueish) whites (and all variations in between)
    Colour ambiance - White Ambiance with the addition of colour ('richer colours' versions came out a few years ago, which do green better than the original colour bulbs, but still not great at yellow)

Colour Ambiance bulbs are the top tier Hue bulbs, and as such, are capable of all colour/white combinations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Got spare hub for sale if anyone needs one. Prefafably in Dublin

Just make me an offer i cannot refuse as not put up for sale yet

There'll be folks giving away Hub's here within a few days (Someone already offered one up for free last week)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Some of my light fittings in the house can't take the Hue bulbs as the neck of the bulb hits the top of the holder so it doesn't lock in. Anyone know of any risers or anything that could be added to the holder to rise it up a little so the bulb could lock in?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Some of my light fittings in the house can't take the Hue bulbs as the neck of the bulb hits the top of the holder so it doesn't lock in. Anyone know of any risers or anything that could be added to the holder to rise it up a little so the bulb could lock in?

New fitting.

Without a holder just the spring to hold lamp in.

What bulb ties are they? B22? E27?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭roosterman71

New fitting.

Without a holder just the spring to hold lamp in.
    It's a rental, and is one of those brass chandelier cheap light holders. Just the neck of the fitting around the holder won't let the Hue bulbs fit down enough to lock in.
    What bulb ties are they? B22? E27?
    Its a B22 holder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

If I get the starter kit that's discounted on amazon atm will it include a dimmer switch or will I need to get one separately. The 2 lights I plan to use above mantlepiece in living room are on a dimmer switch on the wall.

Thanks in advance for helping out a noob

If I get the starter kit that's discounted on amazon atm will it include a dimmer switch or will I need to get one separately. The 2 lights I plan to use above mantlepiece in living room are on a dimmer switch on the wall.

Thanks in advance for helping out a noob

The cheapest starter kit on Amazon doesn't have the dimmer switch added with it. Dimmer switches are nice, but will you even need them? you can control teh lights from a smart phone, and set timers that will fully automate your lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

The cheapest starter kit on Amazon doesn't have the dimmer switch added with it. Dimmer switches are nice, but will you even need them? you can control teh lights from a smart phone, and set timers that will fully automate your lights.

I suppose Im just trying to get a better understanding of how everything works. I will probably got with starter kit then can always purchase a dimmer again if need be

• Advertisement

I suppose Im just trying to get a better understanding of how everything works. I will probably got with starter kit then can always purchase a dimmer again if need be

Exactly, get the starter kit, set it up and learn how to use it all on the app, set timers (called routines in Hue), and then later if (when) you expand your system* you can add the dimmer switches and sensors if you want them.

*Getting jealous of you all getting awesome deals on Hue, when my house is already full and I've nowhere else to put any!! (even my mam's house if full of them).

Advertisement