Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

troyzer wrote: »
    How different is this Ospreys team to the one that laid an egg in Musgrave a while back?

Obviously they have absolutely no depth.

Having said that, it was a strong Munster side that went out. We have an embarrassment of riches in Leinster.

There were about 5 changes but much of a muchness. Slightly better backline but weaker pack to my mind.

It wasn't a green Ospreys team. They have no business being beaten like that by a team of second string and academy players. They should be embarrassed.

Leinster were good but the Ospreys were genuinely pathetic. They had no stomach for a fight and the opening try was a good indication of their work rate. Fardy could have been on crutches and gone through that gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Synode wrote: »
    Thought Fardy and Maloney were excellent. Frawley very composed and excellent kicking from the tee. Lowe is worth the admission alone. Always electric
    Lowe is fun to watch and there's a buzz when he gets the ball but I thought he was half interested tonight. He was trying his usual off the cuff things but execution was well off. That disallowed try would have been on him after his pass on the 22.

I thought Molony had a very good showing but I just can't get an idea of how anyone's performance rates given how poor the opposition was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's nice to see so many academy contracted players perform well. They look very well drilled and comfortable at pro level. Doris has a big future and Deegan out in his best performance of the season off the bench. Reid has been our third choice 10 this season but Frawley's performance tonight must launch him ahead now. We've some very talented young players coming through.

EO'S, rather predictably, started talking about how Leinster are too strong. No doubt we'll start seeing articles about X player needing to go to X province.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

In fairness, Ospreys never turned up. In the final minutes they started to pass and were actually quite capable at it. I cannot understand why they either just dove into tackles or kicked for the first 70.

That said, the academy boys put in a great performance, it's comforting, if not really exciting, to see what Leinster have in the bag going forward.

Lowe is definitely one to watch.

Well done to the BIB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Clegg wrote: »

EO'S, rather predictably, started talking about how Leinster are too strong. No doubt we'll start seeing articles about X player needing to go to X province.

Connacht boss on radio the other day, he is pushing for sharing our players, using example of Waratahs in Australia and now Australia have no player....

Munster are sniffing around looking for a 7.... they want one of Leinster.....blocking players will be excuse again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Connacht boss on radio the other day, he is pushing for sharing our players, using example of Waratahs in Australia and now Australia have no player....

Munster are sniffing around looking for a 7.... they want one of Leinster.....blocking players will be excuse again

Da fug did I just read?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

is it Peter Dooley or Ed Byrne who is going to connacht next season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Connacht has probably 2 rugby schools and 4/5 serious rugby clubs
    They need all the help they can get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Buer wrote: »
    Lowe is fun to watch and there's a buzz when he gets the ball but I thought he was half interested tonight. He was trying his usual off the cuff things but execution was well off. That disallowed try would have been on him after his pass on the 22.

I thought the exact opposite. He wanted his hands on the ball and to be involved in everything. His folks were at the game (they showed pictures at half time) and looked like he was trying to impress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Penny will probably get singled out in the video review for missing the tackle that led to the Ospreys try, but he was completely and utterly knackered. Very impressive for a guy to be able to play 80 minutes at openside less than 6 months after leaving school, and to not look out of place doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Leinster forwards were absolutely brilliant to a man. Has to be said that the Ospreys pack, scrum aside, were about as soft as you’ll see in the Pro14. They barely won a collision all night. Their 8 was the only one to hit double digit run metres, 10 from 7 attempts.

Thought during the match that a lot of Leinster attacks were dying in the centers. Looking at the stats, Conor O’Brien only passed once. Think Adam Byrne only got the ball from a skip pass and a couple of kicks, although he does need to learn from Lowe and look for work a bit more.

McCarthy had a bit of a shocker, maybe he’s carrying an injury? O’Sullivan passed well, his contestable kicks were good but his touchfinders awful. Frawley had a good game but will probably never have such an armchair ride again. Ditto Keenan.

Huge respect to Keelan Giles for chasing Keenan down and working hard til the finish. Sam Davies has regressed more than any other player in recent memory, he used to be a nightmare to play against but now he’s absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

kmart6 wrote: »
    He was in a boot at half time, right foot IIRC.

Didn't see him once he went off. Maybe he was just removing tape from his wrist or something going off.

This is a really good post match interview. One of the best I've seen.

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1066085504058298368?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    kmart6 wrote: »
    He was in a boot at half time, right foot IIRC.

Didn't see him once he went off. Maybe he was just removing tape from his wrist or something going off.

This is a really good post match interview. One of the best I've seen.

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1066085504058298368?s=19

Elder statesman like. I can see him being an Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger figure. Decades at one club.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

"Thought during the match that a lot of Leinster attacks were dying in the centers. Looking at the stats, Conor O’Brien only passed once. Think Adam Byrne only got the ball from a skip pass and a couple of kicks, although he does need to learn from Lowe and look for work a bit more. "

Have to admit, I was a bit disappointed in Adam Byrne last night. Lowe was popping up everywhere, whereas Byrne didn't seem to go looking for the ball much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That was a frightening result but it's not a great one for the league. There's no way Ospreys should be shipping 50 points against that Leinster lineup.

That was a frightening result but it's not a great one for the league. There's no way Ospreys should be shipping 50 points against that Leinster lineup.

We could have the conference sewn up by the six nations. Very bad for the league.

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Have to admit, I was a bit disappointed in Adam Byrne last night. Lowe was popping up everywhere, whereas Byrne didn't seem to go looking for the ball much at all.

He's soft. Had an Ospreys winger lined up and didn't commit to the tackle, one of the centres came across and cleaned the Ospreys player aside while Byrne was still deciding what to do.

Makes decisions far too slowly and refuses to use his size. Fixable but problematic weaknesses to his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

He's soft. Had an Ospreys winger lined up and didn't commit to the tackle, one of the centres came across and cleaned the Ospreys player aside while Byrne was still deciding what to do.

Makes decisions far too slowly and refuses to use his size. Fixable but problematic weaknesses to his game.

Think that's going a bit too far to suggest a player is soft - his reaction times aren't great but soft suggests he's not interested in contact or can't handle contact which I think is a bit rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Skyfloater wrote: »
    "Thought during the match that a lot of Leinster attacks were dying in the centers. Looking at the stats, Conor O’Brien only passed once. Think Adam Byrne only got the ball from a skip pass and a couple of kicks, although he does need to learn from Lowe and look for work a bit more. "

I thought Byrne was good yesterday. Challenging in the air, running hard. He did well to set up Deegan and dominated in the air to take one up and under.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Byrne is a weird one. There's no questioning his attacking strength, carrying and aerial he's a contender for a starting spot.

But in terms of defence I'm not sure if it's just a lack of comfort with the system or technique, there's been a couple games where he's had players running down his throat and could've easily made the tackle but seems to hesitate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Byrne is a weird one. There's no questioning his attacking strength, carrying and aerial he's a contender for a starting spot.

But in terms of defence I'm not sure if it's just a lack of comfort with the system or technique, there's been a couple games where he's had players running down his throat and could've easily made the tackle but seems to hesitate.

Yes but to suggest a player is soft is going a step too far. He is committed and he shows it when he goes up for high balls. He carries well in attack and always makes yards. To question his commitment and outright softness is over the top and doesn't reflect well on the poster in question.

Perhaps he could put in a few Kamikase hits like Fergus McFadden to prove how hard he is but at the same time jeopardise the team. Hardness is something that comes with putting in the unseen work in rucks and mauls and tracking up mileage around the park when said player could be standing out on the wing not looking for work like some other players or missing training sessions and pulling tactical injuries to allow players associated with your background geta look in like some of Venjurs pasr proteges in Leinster - it all hasn't been forgotten and it stinks for him to call a player soft. Outrageous comment.

The more important question is how many Byrne's can we fit in a Leinster squad?

4 by my count. Ross, Ed, Brian and Adam. Any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

troyzer wrote: »
    The more important question is how many Byrne's can we fit in a Leinster squad?

4 by my count. Ross, Ed, Brian and Adam. Any others?

Harry Byrne is in the academy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

MattD wrote: »
    Harry Byrne is in the academy!

Can we start all 5 Byrnes, all four Obriens and all three Kearneys.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Two Dalys and a JGP in a pear tree....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

errlloyd wrote: »
    Can we start all 5 Byrnes, all four Obriens and all three Kearneys.

2 McGrath's too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What’s the least amount of surnames we could field realistically? So players playing in position

Heymans wrote: »
    Think that's going a bit too far to suggest a player is soft - his reaction times aren't great but soft suggests he's not interested in contact or can't handle contact which I think is a bit rich.

Nah I'm pretty comfortable with that description and am happy to stand over it.

He's a far superior athlete to Dave Kearney or Ferg McFaddan but I'd pick either of them over him because they have a much more physical game which often matters more in a tight game than having good speed or being dominant in the air - Andrew Trimble against the All Blacks in Chicago would be the epitome of that, easily the slowest back 3 on the pitch, but out played his opposite numbers.

With Byrne - it's not just his tackling, he stands off the breakdown also and I can't ever recall him having a dominant clear out or securing our own ball as first to the breakdown. It's an extremely tough sport and he doesn't appear to relish the physical side of things. In comparison to the players around him that makes him a bit soft in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

salmocab wrote: »
    What’s the least amount of surnames we could field realistically? So players playing in position

1. McGrath
    2. Byrne
    3. Byrne
    4. Kearney
    5. Beirne (On loan)
    6. Murphy
    7. O'Brien
    8. Murphy (Returned from loan)
    9. McGrath
    10. Byrne
    11. Byrne
    12. O'Brien
    13. O'Brien
    14. Kearney
    15. Kearney

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »

1 Jack McGrath
    2 Ed Byrne
    3 Brian Byrne
    4 Mick Kearney
    7 Sean O'Brien
    9 Luke McGrath
    10 Ross Byrne
    11 Adam Byrne
    12 Jimmy O'Brien
    13 Tom O'Brien
    14 Dave Kearney
    15 Rob Kearney

Think it's fill in the blanks from there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement