Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk Thread IX: Grand Slam Champions SEE MOD WARNING POST #1122

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Oh, Madigan.

A creative, impulsive, unchecked genius, a trader in oval ball magic, unwilling - nay, unable!! - to be fettered by prosaic team plans and stratagems, preparing to paint the night with astonishment and derring-do. In the confines of Joe's regimented, automaton rugby, a spirit who refused to be caged, restlessly inventing, and man undone by his visionary nature.

THEY COULD NOT SHACKLE HIM.

Or, alternatively, a good but fetishised player who never improved enough.

This is a fantastic post I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Addison will be chosen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

connachta wrote: »
    Addison will be chosen

For 6n Chris Farrell will be selected in extended squad at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

If there is an injury to the top 3 centres, Farrell goes. If not, Addison goes. Shame that good players will be left behind but as Schmidt might say its a squad sport

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

connachta wrote: »
    Addison will be chosen

He will
    But so will Farrell
    It will be Sweetnam who'll miss out IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

wp_rathead wrote: »
    He will
    But so will Farrell
    It will be Sweetnam who'll miss out IMO

Doubt Sweetman was within an ass’s roar of the RWC squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

stephen_n wrote: »
    Doubt Sweetman was within an ass’s roar of the RWC squad.

thought we were on about 6N

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Farrell hitting the ground running after so long out. Good to see

MOTM on his return.
    That’s a shot in the arm for Munster and Ireland now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

MOTM on his return.
    That’s a shot in the arm for Munster and Ireland now!

he was unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Just watching the Munster game back.

Farrell is having a good game so far. Murray though is just pure class. You forget how intelligent he is with his kicks.

• Advertisement

Elvisjuice wrote: »
    he was unreal

He certainly offers another dimension that the Irish squad don’t have from any other backs.
    He crashed through some big tackles and accelerated away from the contact. Won all his collisions.
    If Ireland need to use him as a battering ram for certain opposition he offers a great target to draw the defense out to his channel.
    Could be a brilliant platform for line-breaks and offloads, particularly against weaker opposition in the pool stages of the RWC.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    thought we were on about 6N

Even so, he would be involved with the wider squad, but couldn’t see him anywhere near the match day 23, or even the reduced squad. Stockdale and Earls to start, with Addison Conway and Larmour fighting it out for the 23 spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

stephen_n wrote: »
    Even so, he would be involved with the wider squad, but couldn’t see him anywhere near the match day 23, or even the reduced squad. Stockdale and Earls to start, with Addison Conway and Larmour fighting it out for the 23 spot.

Course you couldn't see it.... nothing new here

If you take the red tinted glasses off for a minute I’m sure you’d see it too. Doubt that will be happening though given your history.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

If he continues to play as he did against tougher opposition he would be ranked 4th at the very least.

Farrell would make a decent 12. Him and Ringrose could work well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

I find it hard to see him playing ahead of Aki

Or swap them around. Ringrose can play 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

I think if Farrell is fit and firing, he's in the squad, as said he really offers something the rest of our players don't. I was wary of him as I wasn't expecting him to come back in so well, but based on that performance, and Joe's grá for him he's looking extremely likely to be in the 6N squad and then the RWC

If we're talking about players that can slot into the back line seamlessly and offer something immediately, I think all 4 centres go.

Definites are:

Murray, Marmion
    Sexton, Carbery

Stockdale
    Henshaw, Aki
    Ringrose, Farrell
    Earls
    Kearney, Larmour

With the last two spots going to one of Conway/Addison, and one of McGrath/Byrne/Cooney.

MattD wrote: »
    I think if Farrell is fit and firing, he's in the squad, as said he really offers something the rest of our players don't. I was wary of him as I wasn't expecting him to come back in so well, but based on that performance, and Joe's grá for him he's looking extremely likely to be in the 6N squad and then the RWC

If we're talking about players that can slot into the back line seamlessly and offer something immediately, I think all 4 centres go.

Definites are:

Murray, Marmion
    Sexton, Carbery

Stockdale
    Henshaw, Aki
    Ringrose, Farrell
    Earls
    Kearney, Larmour

With the last two spots going to one of Conway/Addison, and one of McGrath/Byrne/Cooney.

There are at least ten players in the same bracket as Farrell. But there is no way Joe brings four dedicated centres.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    There are at least ten players in the same bracket as Farrell. But there is no way Joe brings four dedicated centres.

I disagree.

For the 6 nations 36 man squad, there was 16 backs: 6 Half backs, 4 centres, 6 back three. Joe's been known to only bring 5 half backs in reduced squads (only Sexton and Carbery in OH in some recent squads, or the 'Madigan third choice 9' debacle), so the other dropped player could easily be an extra wing.

I think it's within the realms of possibility that Joe thinks having Farrell in the squad will prove more valuable than having all of Addison, Conway and Larmour in it. Particularly with how attritionally our centres play.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

MattD wrote: »
    I disagree.

For the 6 nations 36 man squad, there was 16 backs: 6 Half backs, 4 centres, 6 back three. Joe's been known to only bring 5 half backs in reduced squads (only Sexton and Carbery in OH in some recent squads, or the 'Madigan third choice 9' debacle), so the other dropped player could easily be an extra wing.

I think it's within the realms of possibility that Joe thinks having Farrell in the squad will prove more valuable than having all of Addison, Conway and Larmour in it. Particularly with how attritionally our centres play.

They won't be allowed to take 36 players to the world cup.

He took 3 centers in 2015, although Madigan could probably cover

They won't be allowed to take 36 players to the world cup.

He took 3 centers in 2015, although Madigan could probably cover

Yeah, I'm saying they have to cut two players from the 16 players for a RWC squad.

In 2015 Earls and Fitzgerald went basically as centres along with Payne, Henshaw and Cave with the Kearneys, Zebo and Bowe being the first choice back 3 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I can't see how Conway misses out! He's very close to the level of Earl's imo. He covers both wings and fb.
    As far as centers go, we have real depth and I think injuries will be the key.
    I think Addison will travel, if he continues his form and Larmour may miss out.
    I only say that as Larmour was not very good position wise or under the high ball against the pumas. Whether he was injured or not, I don't know. Larmour is brilliant but, if he can't play top quality fb, he will not travel imo.
    What a position to be in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I know Farrell had a good game yesterday and he’s comfortably 4th choice center but there’s no chance they bring 4 especially when Addison can over 11-15

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What exactly does Farrell offer that the rest don't, though?

Unless something happens to Ringrose, Aki or Henshaw, I can't see Farrell going to the World Cup. It makes no sense bringing 4 centres. 3 + 1 utility back is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Faugheen wrote: »

Unless something happens to Ringrose, Aki or Henshaw, I can't see Farrell going to the World Cup. It makes no sense bringing 4 centres. 3 + 1 utility back is plenty.

I don't it's overly fantastical to suggest that Farrell could overtake Aki over the course of the 6 nations.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Faugheen wrote: »

I don't it's overly fantastical to suggest that Farrell could overtake Aki over the course of the 6 nations.

It definitely is. Aki is pure class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Barring injury, Farrell is unlikely to feature at all, let alone overtake anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No chance he will over take him in next 2 months

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement