Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk Thread IX: Grand Slam Champions SEE MOD WARNING POST #1122

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

troyzer wrote: »
    It definitely is. Aki is pure class.

Aki is pure class. No argument there.

Consider the last 2 times we've seen Farrell play though... MOTM against Wales in February, and despite being out with injury for 10 months picks up from where he left off last night with another barnstorming performance.

So to say "it definitely is" crazy talk to suggest he might surpass Aki is a little hyperbolic tbf.

No chance he will over take him in next 2 months

And I think some on here are underestimating Joe's love for Farrell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Skittling the Edinburgh thirds is totally meaningless in terms of international selection, Farrell will have to do it on a bigger stage and even then, he needs a big slice of luck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

kuang1 wrote: »
    And I think some on here are underestimating Joe's love for Farrell.
    I dont think so.
    He needs to do more in bigger games for his province and needs injuries as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

It's not a knock against Farrell. He just isn't as good as Aki or Henshaw and Joe isn't going to take four centres.

Like I said already, he's probably just one of those guys like Conway and maybe VdF who are outstanding but still likely to miss out barring injury.

• Advertisement

OK ok. All valid points lads. (although FF... Do I need to mention the Welsh game 10 months ago again?)

And I'm not stating that I believe it to be something that WILL happen... But it wouldn't surprise me one jot if Joe picks Farrell over Aki.

OK ok. All valid points lads. (although FF... Do I need to mention the Welsh game 10 months ago again?)

And I'm not stating that I believe it to be something that WILL happen... But it wouldn't surprise me one jot if Joe picks Farrell over Aki.

Farrell only played that game because of injuries remember.

He doesn't just need to get past Aki, he has to get past Henshaw as well who has been magnificent so far this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

It won't happen. 3 centres nailed down. Probably not even a 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I don't think you could say Joe has a love for Farrell considering the only big game he's started was against Wales in the 6N, his other two appearances were Fiji and Argentina.

I don't think you could say Joe has a love for Farrell considering the only big game he's started was against Wales in the 6N, his other two appearances were Fiji and Argentina.

Have you never heard any reference to the amount of contact between the two of them before Farrell came to Munster?
    It was substantial. I'm basing my idea of Joe's love for him on that much more than on his selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

Considering our centres are constantly getting knocks (pretty sure we have not had Henshaw, Ringrose and Aki all fit for selection this year), bringing 4 centres doesn't seem crazy to me... As crazy as bringing 6 back three players which is the alternative really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Have you never heard any reference to the amount of contact between the two of them before Farrell came to Munster?
    It was substantial. I'm basing my idea of Joe's love for him on that much more than on his selection.

I mean, Joe trying to convince a player to come home from playing abroad, and planting the seed to try convince him to sign for a province isn't exactly ground breaking.

I think you're over-hyping the stature of Farrell in the Irish squad considering he's only played in two AI games and one game in the 6 Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

MattD wrote: »
    Considering our centres are constantly getting knocks (pretty sure we have not had Henshaw, Ringrose and Aki all fit for selection this year), bringing 4 centres doesn't seem crazy to me... As crazy as bringing 6 back three players which is the alternative really.

Earls, Addison, Larmour or whoever else can also cover midfield against weaker sides.

Once we get to the knockouts, anyone with any meaningful knock will be sent home and replaced.

The chances of bringing 4 centers seems very small to me. Especially when we brought 3 last time and barely used the 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

Skittling the Edinburgh thirds is totally meaningless in terms of international selection, Farrell will have to do it on a bigger stage and even then, he needs a big slice of luck too.

Elvisjuice wrote: »

He even said at the beginning that he was there for an injured Henshaw. Farrell isn't a bad player and it's hardly impossible for a good injury replacement to have a big game.

Again, nobody is disputing Farrell is brilliant. But putting in one good game over an awful Edinburgh doesn't mean he leapfrogs the two 12s in front of him.

Nor is there enough time in the next 7 weeks to do anymore than get into into the extended Ireland squad.

And there is just no feasible way he goes to the world cup unless there's an injury or loss of form.

Four centres is a complete waste when there are several options in the back line who can cover. Even Sexton has played test rugby at 12.

Uh huh.

Except since then, Aki, Henshaw and Ringrose have moved even further ahead.

Uh huh.

Except since then, Aki, Henshaw and Ringrose have moved even further ahead.

has he not being injured for a long time ? and you said he needed to do it not at club level , bit like the back peddling on the Owen Farrell tackle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Farrell’s a very good player but he’s not getting ahead of the other three. I think ringrose, bundee abd henshaw would probably start for every other team in the world. Davis is probably the only center who would start ahead of them

He even said at the beginning that he was there for an injured Henshaw. Farrell isn't a bad player and it's hardly impossible for a good injury replacement to have a big game.

Again, nobody is disputing Farrell is brilliant. But putting in one good game over an awful Edinburgh doesn't mean he leapfrogs the two 12s in front of him.

Nor is there enough time in the next 7 weeks to do anymore than get into into the extended Ireland squad.

And there is just no feasible way he goes to the world cup unless there's an injury or loss of form.

Four centres is a complete waste when there are several options in the back line who can cover. Even Sexton has played test rugby at 12.

never said there was

never said there was

I have no idea which part of my comment you're replying to there.

• Advertisement

I have no idea which part of my comment you're replying to there.

wc squad

Conor O'Brien has been incredible against the Dragons tonight.

Can't see Aki or Henshaw making the RWC squad.

yep hes a shoe in

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    Huh?
    Its a joke....

Its a joke....

Wasn't too sure.. .:o

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Reckon Frawley might have pipped Sexton for the starting spot over the last two games too.

Reckon Frawley might have pipped Sexton for the starting spot over the last two games too.

Another joker surely?

Yeah, we can finally put the openside selection dilemma to bed now as well.

Penny is clearly the best 7 in Ireland after his two professional games playing well against crap teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    Another joker surely?

Yea, you got me, but seriously what do you think about Paddy Patterson for Ireland?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement