Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Neo (eGolf replacement)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Batesy wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds the Neo horrendous looking?
    You couldn't pay me 40K to drive one.

It's fairly similar to the current Golf which sell a truck load each year.

Of course some people won't like it but then again some people like the Leaf Gen 1:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sorry but you do sound a small bit childish, you keep referring to slow and sub x second car and really high Bhp....

Are you doing track days or something?

You would be better to reduce the battery so you reduce the weight and then have a fun car to drive

Remember Americans are the only ones testing M3 so far, I bet a M3 has never been on a back road in Ireland.....

Watch every American test drive on youtube, big straight road and they floor it, that’s not testing a car....testing a car is seeing how it goes around a cornor, something the Americans have never figured out

I don’t normally agree with you but do in this case ;)

ted1 wrote: »

I never seen us disagree :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

ted1 wrote: »

Showing yer age guys

• Registered Users Posts: 65,030 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Looks about as aero dynamic as a brick

Way too tall, almost Berlingo esc

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Current Audi A4 doesn't look that aerodynamic to me, but it has a better Cd than Tesla Model 3

Do not underestimate what a modern active giant like VAG can be up to

• Advertisement

http://www.spiegel.de/auto/fahrberichte/volkswagen-id-erste-fahrt-mit-dem-hoffnungstraeger-a-1243629.html

Very good article. Need to translate from German but some might not.....this bit I like

The interior information look interesting.

There is a head-up display that not only projects graphics into the windscreen, but also adapts its displays to the real world for the first time. The graphics are farther away, and the navigation arrows do not just point to the left or right, but actually point to the road you need to take.

But this is the bit I like: But unlike Tesla boss Elon Musk, Welsch is not about taking the breath away from the customer during their spurt or promising them crazy speed. This fight should be fought by group brands like Audi or Porsche. The VW development chief wants to take the fear of the empty battery and make the switch as easy as possible.

Exactly what the market needs.

Mention of a GTI model as well but when I translate it doesn't sound right.

330km range ID with all the extras.....yes please :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

I’ll be very interested to see the final product. Good to see that it will be rear wheel driven and starting with 200hp. Does the current egolf have an app?
    http://www.spiegel.de/auto/fahrberichte/volkswagen-id-erste-fahrt-mit-dem-hoffnungstraeger-a-1243629.html

Very good article. Need to translate from German but some might not.....this bit I like

The interior information look interesting.

There is a head-up display that not only projects graphics into the windscreen, but also adapts its displays to the real world for the first time. The graphics are farther away, and the navigation arrows do not just point to the left or right, but actually point to the road you need to take.

But this is the bit I like: But unlike Tesla boss Elon Musk, Welsch is not about taking the breath away from the customer during their spurt or promising them crazy speed. This fight should be fought by group brands like Audi or Porsche. The VW development chief wants to take the fear of the empty battery and make the switch as easy as possible.

Exactly what the market needs.

Mention of a GTI model as well but when I translate it doesn't sound right.

330km range ID with all the extras.....yes please :-)

CFC007 wrote: »
    I’ll be very interested to see the final product. Good to see that it will be rear wheel driven and starting with 200hp. Does the current egolf have an app?

Yes, Carnet...

Some good and some bad points.

unkel wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. Current Audi A4 doesn't look that aerodynamic to me, but it has a better Cd than Tesla Model 3

Do not underestimate what a modern active giant like VAG can be up to

The eGolf is a very good electric car even when it is a converted petrol/diesel car.

I expect the Neo which built from the ground up to be good. Even VW admitted the range on the entry model was better than expected. That's a good sign

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/heres-what-we-learned-driving-volkswagens-id-electric-car

Huge amount of information on Top Gear review

Interesting part.....only two battery options is mentioned
    206 mile and 312 mile(330km and 500km)
    I would guess 49kWh and a high 60kWh battery

Interior is what I wanted to see but the images tell nothing really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/heres-what-we-learned-driving-volkswagens-id-electric-car

Huge amount of information on Top Gear review

Interesting part.....only two battery options is mentioned
    206 mile and 312 mile(330km and 500km)
    I would guess 49kWh and a high 60kWh battery

Interior is what I wanted to see but the images tell nothing really

"125kW charging, ~48-60kWh battery, 180bhp, rear wheel drive, 50:50 weight distribution, sizeable boot, HUD, liquid cooled, proper EV proportions"

If VW do release this for sub 30k ( looks like they will ) they are going to kill their ICE sales overnight, they'll have to produce these in massive volume quickly

Why would anyone buy a petrol or diesel Golf

I might be driving an ID in 2020, Tesla who lol

Now now now Thierry don't get too excited :-)

The 48kWh option will be under the 30k would be the guess, hopefully this is the 25k model but before you talk about HUD remember back to my link for the order system
    https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1058403/VW-ID-Neo-2019-electric-car-range-Volkswagen-Golf-price?fbclid=IwAR2OZ8hiK_kjt3tUtKgh3M5Xa-0rlM_b1Salwzctqx27gv_5bAEg7nI6jPM

Now that has listed clearly: Choose your package and then Package 1, Package 2, Package 3

So like all VW it will have options, Packages will help with manufacturing and delivery time scales as less options that current VW's

The car they are testing would have to be the top package which I would guess would include HUD, heated seats, potentially leather seats etc etc and also the top battery and Bhp, no point testing the entry version

If they have reduced to two battery types then I would guess you could go for the entry range package of 330km which would be less Bhp, potentially 150Bhp????, and then pick a high "package" to get all my comforts so you end up at close to 35k

Or you go for the larger range and Bhp but just base model and its 35k.....

Something like that would make sense, so you walk in with 35k(hopefully will be less) to a VW dealer, which do you pick? range/performance or features/functions?

For me.....features/functions

As always this is pure guesswork from the information already released

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I’ve beeen lurking here for a long time and in the market for a new car in 2019/20 and hope to jump from petrol to bev. This looks very promising - http://www.fullychargedshow.co.uk/electric-cars/2018/12/17/vw-id-test-car-exclusive-drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The first ID vehicle looks like a very compelling proposion and makes the current crop of volume offerings appear like DIY conversions in comparison.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If they can offer the ID in with the option packages in Ireland, then I think I've found my car for the next 6 years.

Are VW normally good at offering options in Ireland.

liamog wrote: »
    If they can offer the ID in with the option packages in Ireland, then I think I've found my car for the next 6 years.

Are VW normally good at offering options in Ireland.

VW love options.....its like a kid in a sweet shop when looking at models......they have gone the pack root recently but still lots of option

Normally what happens is you will go in with a list of options. You will be given a 6 week - 6 month wait list for the orders. This is because you have so many options and it has to be built from plant

What they will produce then is something with a similar spec they have in stock or on a ferry and due in a few weeks. You choice is wait or buy now....standardly the Irish driver will buy ;)

So do you really want black when you can get red? or do you really want the comfort package when you can get the connected pack? etc etc

That sort of things goes on.

Check the standard Golf and see how many options you could choose. Now if they have packages this will reduce the options so you will probably pick "Package 2" and then get handed what colour they have in stock....it should help getting the car you want.....reduces manufacturing times as well

So what have we learned

Two battery options now instead of the 3 which was discussed
    330 and 500km range
    Look at the current eGolf interior and don't expect it to be a million miles different, see image on Fully charged website, not a million miles different from mine, maybe a 9" screen which is in eGolf 2 anyway, steering is the same with same buttons
    The HUD sounds like a must have
    Boot is bigger than eGolf.
    Right and left hand drive released at same time.....
    Similar regen options to eGolf. It was mentioned on one article about B mode, fully charged description sounds similar(more or less one pedal driving)
    Battery cooling system
    100kW charging
    Exterior similar size to Golf
    Interior similar size to Passat

Interior similar size to Passat

Is it though? As in can it transport 5 adults in reasonable comfort over longer distances? if so, I won't rule it out for my next car for sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

So what have we learned
    Look at the current eGolf interior and don't expect it to be a million miles different, see image on Fully charged website, not a million miles different from mine, maybe a 9" screen which is in eGolf 2 anyway, steering is the same with same buttons

The image on the interior on the Fully Charged site isn't of the ID, just a regular Golf. They aren't allowed to post pictures of the interior. Top Gear have said it's similar enough to the i3.

unkel wrote: »
    Is it though? As in can it transport 5 adults in reasonable comfort over longer distances? if so, I won't rule it out for my next car for sure :)

That has been fairly constant for a long time.

Due to the battery under the floor and the reduced size needed for the motor they are able to make the interior bigger....

From TopGear "It’s the size of a Golf, with the space of a Passat."
    SaintsYB wrote: »
    The image on the interior on the Fully Charged site isn't of the ID, just a regular Golf. They aren't allowed to post pictures of the interior. Top Gear have said it's similar enough to the i3.

Maybe your right, they did say they couldn't post images in both reviews....its a strange picture to post

Interior is not similar to the ID, the way you put it into drive/reverse/regen is similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Ryath

Middle bench seat looks narrower than a passat. I'm hoping it's just the angle of the picture that the centre storage/ armrest isn't that far back. I'm assuming it has flat floor in the back with no transmission tunnel. Makes a big difference when carrying a fifth person.

345a0337.jpg?itok=6JnBRXxW

You can see the side of the centre screen here like the i3 but closer and angled towards the driver
    345a6639.jpg?itok=2G_zW9be

Sorry about size of pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Will this car not seriously devalue the current eGolf?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The current egolf is an end of line model. There will be no more golfs after this model. (AFAIR anyway)

Nedved85 wrote: »

There's so few of them around, I don't think it will make a huge difference. That said, I wouldn't go out and spend €35k on a 191 eGolf either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Interior looks pretty production ready anyway. If the driver's seat in the pic is all the way back there is some serious legroom there. Just need to add some more fetching fabrics. And black panels and roof lining for the GTi.

Do you mean because the up front cost of the eGolf will be higher than the cost of the Neo?

So you buy eGolf this year for 39k but next year the Neo will be potentially cheaper?

The thing is they are two completely differnet cars. The eGolf could continue to be sold after the Neo is launched but it wouldn't make any sense.

Also the eGolf is a rare beast. Sought after in US and Germany as people want to keep as collector items. Not so much in Ireland :D

I don't think it will have any massive affect on second user pricing, the lack of good second hand electric cars will keep the price up. It will be 2023 before Neo has a major affect on the second hand electric car user market

Do you mean because the up front cost of the eGolf will be higher than the cost of the Neo?

So you buy eGolf this year for 39k but next year the Neo will be potentially cheaper?

The thing is they are two completely differnet cars. The eGolf could continue to be sold after the Neo is launched but it wouldn't make any sense.

Also the eGolf is a rare beast. Sought after in US and Germany as people want to keep as collector items. Not so much in Ireland :D

I don't think it will have any massive affect on second user pricing, the lack of good second hand electric cars will keep the price up. It will be 2023 before Neo has a major affect on the second hand electric car user market

I mean the eGolf would effectively be superseded once the ID comes out.

... Don't shoot me on this though - I'm not up on the exact specs of the eGolf but I'm pretty sure the range on it is a good bit lower than what the ID will offer and if the ID offers more at €25k surely the eGolf will drop a good a lot from it's new price tag.

I did see an eGolf in town recently and it looks nice tbf but I'd be very apprehensive about buying a 191 now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

He seems to suggest a Model 3 like interface where most things are displayed on a screen with minimal amount of buttons.

He says its roomier than a Golf but it looks a little tight to me in the back although he looks like a big guy. I'd still wonder about 3 adults across the back though. Maybe 3 teenagers would be OK.

And he mentions 3 battery sizes again so conflicting info there as VW themselves said 3 a few months ago but others have recently said 2.

• Advertisement

I mean the eGolf would effectively be superseded once the ID comes out.

... Don't shoot me on this though - I'm not up on the exact specs of the eGolf but I'm pretty sure the range on it is a good bit lower than what the ID will offer and if the ID offers more at €25k surely the eGolf will drop a good a lot from it's new price tag.

I did see an eGolf in town recently and it looks nice tbf but I'd be very apprehensive about buying a 191 now :)

Not shooting anyone, no bullet left...:p

Yes the ID will replace the eGolf but the Golf range will continue, just not the electric version. Long term ID Neo will replace the entire Golf range according to VW

The range on the eGolf is the old rating but if you take the ID is 330km I would say the eGolf v2 would get an official rating of around 240km. Which based on feedback from drivers this is more or less the range on it.

It does depend on how long you keep the eGolf. If you buy this year and sell next year then you will see a huge depreciation. But if you plan on holding onto it for 3-4 years then really I don't see a massive drop off.

Most people investing in the ID will take it over a 3 year plan so really it will be 2023 before they start to hit the second user market. Around the same time as the Model 3.

So until 2023 your options will be Ioniq/Leaf/eGolf in second user. I still would see a huge demand for the eGolf. Especially as they are such a rare car in the market.

Advertisement