Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media - analogue TV service reduction and switch off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

... it's the likes of One4All who should be shot with their own ****e after putting that on the box..

We picked up an unamplified one of those for a Euro in a boot sale for one tv - and its actually really really good - it works perfectly placed behind the tv with the antennas only half extended so you cannot see it.
    https://amzn.to/2xbIUpp

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Final cutover here was a day late. A few of the remaining channels have been moved around presumably to specifically clear blocks of frequency.

When SIRO or OpenEir (both are intending competing FTTH buildouts, the joys of living in a dense suburb) arrive, Virgin are out the door here. No reason to pay more for their crap hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My problem is a wiring problem. The TV in the bedroom is mounted on the wall with the Virgin analogue wired behind the wall. Even if they provided a free box, I really don't want to have an ugly cable hanging down from my otherwise pristine wall.

Is there any kind of wireless connection I can get to connect the TV to a digital box? Something like a Chromecast, but for all TV. I don't have a dish at all, and I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.

Would one of these 'combiners' be any good to me in running a new digital signal over the old analogue cable? Is there any way to make this usable with a remote control, as the other end of the old cable is in a different room?

All advice welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Mother in law (D22) got the message on screen a few days ago, did not receive or does not remember receiving a letter, then panicked, my wife had to ring VM on her behalf as she's nearly deaf, she is getting sorted out with two digital boxes for less than the analogue sub she was paying (?!) but whether she'll be able to work them (she's in her 80s) is another question :mad: couldn't VM have left well enough alone?

D22, no letter either. SKY NEWS and a few other channels disappeared two or three days ago and had to be re-tuned. (At least SKY NEWS was still there, not sure about the rest as I don't watch tv) My dad has the digital box but he only watches the analogue because that's what he's used to. Having to explain to him the difference between digital and analogue, and a new way of accessing the channels he wants is going to be a nightmare.

They say there should be a letter A on the bottom corner of the screen on BBC1 if they're going to cut it off soon but it isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

A few places in North Dublin are being reduced to 9 channels next Monday (24th) with the switch off in 2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Just noticed the channels have been reduced to 9 in dublin 13. Went to watch discovery to help me nod off and its gone. Also they must be dicking around with cables at 1am because the signal keeps coming and going on all channels

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

Looking for Simple Solutions
    Zatoichi wrote: »
    ,,,,,,,Having to explain to him the difference between digital and analogue, and a new way of accessing the channels he wants is going to be a nightmare,,,,,,,,
    Mother in law (D22),,,,,,,, but whether she'll be able to work them (she's in her 80s) is another question :mad: ,,,,,,,,,

I'm in same boat , blind Auntie , 85 yrs, follows soaps and Wimbledon!
    Any suggestions for simplest solution , most straight forward remote, most forgiving system when wrong button is pressed?

PJQ
    PS technology is great , Auntie does not need EPG because she gets Audio RTE Guide on a usb stick with her audio books and her older sister uses a laptop to read newspapers and e-books zoomed to 250%, neither were interested enough to master a mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

pjq wrote: »

Any suggestions for simplest solution , most straight forward remote, most forgiving system when wrong button is pressed?

PJQ
    PS technology is great , Auntie does not need EPG because she gets Audio RTE Guide on a usb stick with her audio books and her older sister uses a laptop to read newspapers and e-books zoomed to 250%, neither were interested enough to master a mobile phone.

Might be worth talking to NCBI in Dublin - they have good experience on using technology, and what works or doesn't work for people with sight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Afraid I can't help you pjq, the mother in law is a bit deaf but is getting on ok with the new box, my kids are tutoring her... :) sight loss is another story.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Mailcoachinn

What’s the story with the radio? That’s not being switched off apparently. But I didn’t know that was even a thing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My theory is there is one enthusiast in VM engineering who wants to keep the FM radio service going for himself. Also, its "only" 20MHz of bandwidth and one where there would be huge interference, particularly in South County Dublin, on the overhead network due to broadcast radio.

Also, I believe EuroDOCSIS only supports frequencies below 112Mhz for upload and they aren't really suffering on upload capacity anywhere yet - heavy uploaders are not customers that consumer ISPs want

The tiny number of customers who actually use it - my parents included - would be quite annoyed if it went. My mother flicks between Radio 3, ClassicFM and Lyric depending on how annoying the presenter is (Marty losing out all the time) on a Denon tuner connected to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Mailcoachinn

L1011 wrote: »
    My theory is there is one enthusiast in VM engineering who wants to keep the FM radio service going for himself. Also, its "only" 20MHz of bandwidth and one where there would be huge interference, particularly in South County Dublin, on the overhead network due to broadcast radio.

Also, I believe EuroDOCSIS only supports frequencies below 112Mhz for upload and they aren't really suffering on upload capacity anywhere yet - heavy uploaders are not customers that consumer ISPs want

The tiny number of customers who actually use it - my parents included - would be quite annoyed if it went. My mother flicks between Radio 3, ClassicFM and Lyric depending on how annoying the presenter is (Marty losing out all the time) on a Denon tuner connected to it.

Ah right. So you’d need a tuner with a VHF aerial socket to get it?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭mike2084

I'm one of the tiny number who really likes it lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Ah right. So you’d need a tuner with a VHF aerial socket to get it?

Yes. All AV receivers and some amplifiers have that socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

marno21 wrote: »
    Anyone else think that the switching off of analogue TV by Virgin is a bad move that may cost them in the long run? I personally don't see the practicality of turning off a service that is likely widely used (even if not reflected by analogue subscription figures) to provide extra bandwidth which is of no use to most people.
    I think it will cost them. Not just people being able to more freely leave VM now as there is no analog benefit -but people possibly ditching their TV packages completely and getting 1+ "dodgy boxes" instead.

They might have been happy enough with the analog in various bedrooms or "dens" in the house. It is pricey for extra boxes with tv packages so they might go for illegal ones instead.

For anybody who is thinking of leaving VM or who got a price increase notice read this thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057206058

I stuck with them only due to the decent discount they gave me when I rang up.

Relatives in Swords got a letter in the post this week stating Monday 3rd December is the switch off date for the Analogue service

Updated Dublin frequencies for the 9 channels available on the reduction service in ex NTL areas

CH 05 / 176 MHz - RTÉ2
    CH 06 / 184 MHz - Virgin Media One
    CH 07 / 192 MHz - RTÉ One
    CH 09 / 200 MHz - Virgin Media Three
    CH 10 / 208 MHz - TG4
    CH 11 / 216 MHz - BBC One NI
    CH 12 / 224 MHz - Cartoon Network - previously BBC Two NI
    CC 11 / 232 MHz - Sky News - previously Sky One
    CC 15 / 256 MHz - Virgin Media Two

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

Relatives in Swords got a letter in the post this week stating Monday 3rd December is the switch off date for the Analogue service

Got this letter too, time to look at alternatives

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭ooter

Signal was due to go in my area yesterday but I'm still getting all 16 channels and the banner is still running along the bottom of the screen to say the signal is being switched off on the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

if anyone in Bray gets the shut off date can you post it please? My gran at 92 forgets to tell me things and I need to make sure she's not without tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

patrickc wrote: »
    if anyone in Bray gets the shut off date can you post it please? My gran at 92 forgets to tell me things and I need to make sure she's not without tv

Its a nationwide rollout.. You'd best start now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

Its a nationwide rollout.. You'd best start now

I thought it was mid 2019. thanks

does anyone know is the freedom tv pack that virgin offer on the horizon box too?

does anyone know is the freedom tv pack that virgin offer on the horizon box too?

https://www.virginmedia.ie/television/buy-a-tv-package/freedom-tv/
    According to the VM website the Freedom Pack incl. the Horizon box, as it mentions apps like Netflix and Youtube. The Horizon box is the only box they offer that includes those apps

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I lost half my channels, the rest due to be cut next year, some get the lot cut at once. Still have my fingers crossed that it might not happen. I am actually getting by fairly OK with the few that are left, watching more of my own films too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Delta2113

It's going to happen - you may as well make the transition now to Digital.

PJQ

We changed to Virgin digital box but Auntie could not manage the slippery remote. She was often lost in the channel list. We bought a Flipper Remote https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002GR1YZ0/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1 , it was easy to set up and the channel up/down is confined to her favourite 10 channels. Hope that this helps someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

We changed to Virgin digital box but Auntie could not manage the slippery remote. She was often lost in the channel list. We bought a Flipper Remote https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002GR1YZ0/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1 , it was easy to set up and the channel up/down is confined to her favourite 10 channels. Hope that this helps someone.

The Virgin Horizon box doesnt use infra red so this won’t work with it. It may be fine for other boxes though.

stimpson wrote: »
    The Virgin Horizon box doesnt use infra red so this won’t work with it. It may be fine for other boxes though.

To be clear , we bought it already and it is working now. Maybe it's not a "horizon" box

stimpson wrote: »

I seem to recall that the Horizon has an IR receiver that can do a very limited subset of options - channel up/down being one of them. Uses commands for a Samsung STB (which it is of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I seem to recall that the Horizon has an IR receiver that can do a very limited subset of options - channel up/down being one of them. Uses commands for a Samsung STB (which it is of course)

I bought a similar one for my old dear and couldn't get it to work with the Horizon. After many hours of trying everything, it suddenly dawned on me. I went into another room and could still change the channel. We dropped Virgin and bought her a freesat/saorview combo box, setup the remote with the new box and she's never been happier.

Advertisement