Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

troyzer wrote: »
    Isn't that what happened in 2011?

Happened in 2015 as well

Also the soccer team

Also the canteen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Happened in 2015 as well

Also the soccer team

Also the canteen
    I find it impossible not to adore France with all of their bull**** and ridiculousness. If we can't win the world cup, I hope they go on and batter everyone else to a victory.

Vive la France. Time for another revolution.

comment-alper-Liberty-Leading-the-People-by-Eugene-Delacroix.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It didn’t happen under Lievremont, the media just ran away with a rumour. As is often the case with those rumors. Then they quietly correct themselves after the clicks have subsided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

swiwi_ wrote: »

$185. What's that in real money, €7?

Not bad.

• Advertisement

The Blood & Mud podcast was just talking about England's new chip chase game. Obviously they haven't come across a top back line yet but it's likely that this is the way forward to negate the blitz.

It was obvious that this was always going to be the way forward and I have no idea why it wasn't used earlier but for whatever reason this is clearly a new strategy. They reckon this year, including the world cup, will be defined by the chip chase and which teams can take advantage of an easing up of the blitz defense.

Ireland can go one of three ways here:

Either we go balls deep on the chip chase and abandon everything to date.

We stick with what we're doing.

Or we heavily incorporate the chip chase as a way of loosening defences to make it easier to make metres on our current attack.

I think it's too late to do the first effectively, the second isn't working. But the third one might be a recipe for success.

It’s absolutely been used before. Ireland use it. It’s just media bait

It’s absolutely been used before. It’s just media bait

I agree that it has. But I've never seen anything like the amount of times England used the kick as a tactical, offensive weapon.

It's hard to see how a 13 man blitz can realistically counter it when executed properly. Even when it doesn't work, you're still pinning them inside the 22 which is where Ireland were strangled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I find it impossible not to adore France with all of their bull**** and ridiculousness. If we can't win the world cup, I hope they go on and batter everyone else to a victory.

Vive la France. Time for another revolution.

Nah nothing against French traditionally but I hope they continue to struggle. Might lead to some reform of their club game.

9s will adapt and negate it by focusing more on the backfield again and it’ll stop immediately because it’s a very inefficient way of playing if you’re losing possession. France “invented” this before.

• Advertisement

9s will adapt and negate it by focusing more on the backfield again and it’ll stop immediately because it’s a very inefficient way of playing if you’re losing possession. France “invented” this before.

Yeah, I think we'll know a lot more after the Wales game. It'll be the first time they've come up against a decent backline.

Not that Ireland don't have a decent backline but they were off form and really missing Kearney.

I also don't rate Jonny May's defense. He can probably be kicked all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Carbery and Kilcoyne both retained within Irish camp. Looking like they'll be starting against Italy. It appears that Beirne almost certainly won't be involved according to JVG:
    “Tadhg and CJ are still a few weeks away. They are on the normal procedure back, it’s good that both of them have started running. Both of them are on their feet. So, I think are in their time frame as released by the national squad, but no rugby training as of yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I agree that it has. But I've never seen anything like the amount of times England used the kick as a tactical, offensive weapon.

It's hard to see how a 13 man blitz can realistically counter it when executed properly. Even when it doesn't work, you're still pinning them inside the 22 which is where Ireland were strangled.

I bet you've never seen an international team play 4 centres and 0 wingers before too. Between Ireland playing Henshaw at 15 but sticking with our 14 up defence, and France leaving their backfield like a tumbleweed scene in a western movie, England would have been naive not to exploit the space on offer. It doesn't mean international rugby has suddenly seen a revolution in the form of the "chip chase".

Zzippy wrote: »
    I bet you've never seen an international team play 4 centres and 0 wingers before too. Between Ireland playing Henshaw at 15 but sticking with our 14 up defence, and France leaving their backfield like a tumbleweed scene in a western movie, England would have been naive not to exploit the space on offer. It doesn't mean international rugby has suddenly seen a revolution in the form of the "chip chase".

That's the thing. It's hard to know where they're at when France and even Ireland played so dreadfully.

I'm not trying to suggest there's been a revolution in the chip chase. As I've said already, it seems obvious to try and counter the blitz with a chip chase game but England seem to be the first ones to actually do it.

That's the thing. It's hard to know where they're at when France and even Ireland played so dreadfully.

I'm not trying to suggest there's been a revolution in the chip chase. As I've said already, it seems obvious to try and counter the blitz with a chip chase game but England seem to be the first ones to actually do it.

Yeah, when refs are no longer policing the offside so blitz defences are up in your face before you have a chance to move the ball, it seems an obvious tactic to put them on their heels, and maybe they won't be so quick up next time. I wish refs would go hard on offside early in games and we might see a bit more space for attacking teams too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

In fairness the ref has enough to be watching they really need help from the ARs. They used to be very vocal in calling offsides in the defensive line before but they seem to just be completely ignoring it fully now.

I'd expect most top teams to adjust to blitz defences with a sniping 9 or a few dinks over the top, very surprised Ireland didn't adapt in either game to that.

Offside has gotten really bad, especially when defending inside your 22.

Crossing on kick chasing is just as bad now. A bit of dark arts is fine but it's getting blatant now and nobody is calling it.

It's more obvious when you're at a game and looking across the pitch, but defences are definitely not playing the back foot and are well up before the 9 even has the ball out, never mind passed it. Jack Carty has made hay a few times this year for Connacht with little chips over the top for himself or AN Other to chase e.g. his try vs Leinster. I can't understand why more teams aren't using it to try negate the offside. And yes, ARs should be policing this for the ref. It's infuriating watching a defence rush up offside while the AR right in front of you does nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭deisedude

Zzippy wrote: »
    It's more obvious when you're at a game and looking across the pitch, but defences are definitely not playing the back foot and are well up before the 9 even has the ball out, never mind passed it. Jack Carty has made hay a few times this year for Connacht with little chips over the top for himself or AN Other to chase e.g. his try vs Leinster. I can't understand why more teams aren't using it to try negate the offside. And yes, ARs should be policing this for the ref. It's infuriating watching a defence rush up offside while the AR right in front of you does nothing.

Very good point about the chip kicks. You would wonder why it isn't utilized more. Is it that teams are too afraid to give away possession at this level?

deisedude wrote: »
    Very good point about the chip kicks. You would wonder why it isn't utilized more. Is it that teams are too afraid to give away possession at this level?

I think ultimately, the box kick has been so successful that they haven't bothered.

But it doesn't work when you do it over and over again and the opposition are getting away with screening the catch. It's not a 50/50 kick then. You're just handing the ball back.

That Carty chip kick against Leinster was class. That's all just speed of thought. Identifying the space and exploiting it. But that's down to his individual skill, England are currently the only team so far that have an entire system built around it. When Ford came on against France, they kept doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yeah I wondered about that. Could Sexton have dropped back and kicked for terroritory or chipped over the top and have runners chasing? I know mid game it's probably hard to change up tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Skyfloater

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah I wondered about that. Could Sexton have dropped back and kicked for terroritory or chipped over the top and have runners chasing? I know mid game it's probably hard to change up tactics

Not sure I buy that. Joe has the best view in the house, and is linked to the H2O guys, who are on and off the pitch like yo-yos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Not sure if anyone else is noticing this or I'm wrong... but there seems to be an amount of wonky lineouts not getting called for not being straight... maybe it's the camera angles messing with me but that's what I seem to be seeing anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

leakyboots wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone else is noticing this or I'm wrong... but there seems to be an amount of wonky lineouts not getting called for not being straight... maybe it's the camera angles messing with me but that's what I seem to be seeing anyways

The player throwing in the ball stands on the mark of touch with both feet outside the field of play. The thrower must not step into the field of play until the ball has been thrown. Sanction: Option of lineout or scrum.

Probably the least enforced law in rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

swiwi_ wrote: »
    The player throwing in the ball stands on the mark of touch with both feet outside the field of play. The thrower must not step into the field of play until the ball has been thrown. Sanction: Option of lineout or scrum.

Probably the least enforced law in rugby.

Apart from maybe hooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There was a huge crackdown on crooked scrum feeds. World Rugby made a lot of noise about fixing that area.

Lasted about 6 weeks before reverting.

Clegg wrote: »
    There was a huge crackdown on crooked scrum feeds. World Rugby made a lot of noise about fixing that area.

because the ball went in and never came back out....

[COLOR=inherit !important]

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }[/COLOR]

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Clegg wrote: »

because the ball went in and never came back out....

Yeah, World Rugby actually formalised the current setup when they changed the scrum laws. For about twenty years they just didn't enforce it but now it's not required to have a straight feed, you're just not allowed to feed it to your second row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

So a World Cup game will be the last for Joe, if they make it it'll be the last for O'Brien and Best. Who else? Kearney? Sexton? Toner? Maybe one or two others from the 30+ age group might move on for a last pay day like O'Brien. It'll be sad but let's hope they finish on a high.

• Advertisement

Perifect wrote: »
    So a World Cup game will be the last for Joe, if they make it it'll be the last for O'Brien and Best. Who else? Kearney? Sexton? Toner? Maybe one or two others from the 30+ age group might move on for a last pay day like O'Brien. It'll be sad but let's hope they finish on a high.

O'Brien and Best will be gone, Best will retire

Sexton is playing till the next Lions tour so I doubt they will drop him that quick

Toner could go on a few more years

Earls will be 32? he might retire...Trimble and Bowe only made it to 33

healy might shoot off for a large paycheck as well, haven't heard much on his contract.

Cronin will be 33, he could hang it up to prolong career at Leinster

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement