Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can someone in their 30s afford a house - PLEASE READ MOD WARNING IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Idbatterim wrote: »
    All of this "it takes sacrifice etc" yeah of course it does! But all of you seem to think, "ah ill just become a slave to debt, stop living for a few years" etc, thats grand, fire away. But dont expect all of us to think along the same lines!

Only in Ireland, seriously. This **** wouldnt be tolerated anywhere else!

I didn't stop living at all while saving! I went on about 2 big holidays a year and a few mini breaks. I just planned for them well in advance and saved a bit extra for those. I gave up some things, sure but I don't really miss them and they were luxuries as opposed to necessities.
    I'm not a slave to debt at all either - still living happily and planning my future. Do I like how much my mortgage is - not really but in the grand scheme of things it's not the worst and I have somewhere lovely to live so swings and roundabouts.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    and probably live somewhere relatively "crap"...

many of your mortgage brokers on here or bank chairmen per chance?

Nope not a mortgage broker or bank chairman - wouldn't mind the latter's salary though!

And I don't live somewhere relatively "crap". Are there better areas I'd like to live in? Course there are! I've always wanted to own a Georgian house on a park somewhere in Dublin but even 14 year old me knew that was probably a pipe-dream (winning the lotto was probably the only hope). I live in a nice area, with nice neighbours, not too far from work and close to good amenities. Plus the house itself is fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

f@steddie wrote: »
    I thought you wanted an average 3 bed semi? Keep those goalposts moving.

Where did I say I wanted that? I was making the point that a 70k earner (which happenens to be double the national median wage) can't get a mortgage for what is the average sale price in Dublin. Which is illustrative of the housing clusterf*ck the country is in.

But I suspect you knew that already. Here's a saving tip for you, don't put words in people's mouths.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

How can anyone afford a house in their 30's? The following are a few easy steps that can help....

1. Maximize your saving and reduce waste !
    A. Buy bags of frozen veg instead of fresh as they keep longer
    B. Use vouchers for shopping from magazines and offer letters
    C. Buy multi pack deals of meat in butcher or retailer and ask folks working their to portion out into separate bags for you.
    D. Learn to bake bread, its very easy to do, takes little time and the cost of ingredients can make you alot more bread than what you would buy for same cost.

2. Do you really need sky sports, movie channels, subscription services?
    A. If in contract with provider like sky, then remove add-ons, catch sport results on phone or live stream.
    B. Youtube has alot of free movies if you cancel your subscription, also Netflix is far cheaper product to have.
    C. Get Saorview if you don't have if and/or a free to air satellite package with a once off payment, much cheap than likes of sky.

3. Do you need the latest iphone, a bill plan which you may not get full use out of?
    A. Keep your current phone if modern enough, if you need to upgrade, buy a second hand or new phone online, great stuff on likes of Amazon and cheaper than
    having a network contract.
    B. Change your plan to prepay over bill pay if better value !

4. Cut down on frivolous spending on nonsense !
    A. Stop buying stuff just to have, alot of folks do this and end up with stuff that is effectively clutter as they use once or twice and store it away.
    B. Cut down on foreign holidays, do have some holidays but make yourself aware of costs, it can be cheaper to book hotel and flights yourself, package deals
    can often be much dearer.
    C. If work is relatively close to home then consider walking or cycling when weather is good, I am just as guilty of using car the whole time but learning to put the
    car keys down and walk is not only good for reducing spending but great for your health. If your health isn't great then it will improve it.

5. The most important advice i can give you - COMPROMISE !!!!!
    Too many people WANT a house in a specific area, yes there can be good reasons for this such as looking after a family member or kids going to school,
    don't drive and so on. BUT alot of decisions on where to live are based on laziness and unwillingness to travel too. I worked in Dublin when myself and my
    fiancee bought our current home but live an hour and bit drive from Dublin city center (traffic dependent). Be willing to compromise on location as this can be
    one of the most important influences on how much your new home will cost. Some sacrifices need to be made to have what you want......or an acceptable
    version of what you want. We got a lovely house, much bigger and vastly cheaper than what we would have paid for in Dublin. Check out will your travel
    expenses offset against saving you will make from further purchase.

I can tell you from experience that these are the things which can make or break buying a house. I bought my first house when i was 20, I am now 37 and living in my second purchase, my second home, it takes hard work and dedication, it will never be easy for most but it is achievable when appropriate effort applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Cyrus wrote: »
    Maybe you have answered this already but why are you staying in Dublin ? You can’t really afford to live there? Generally people live in a city because the access to better phone jobs offsets the higher cost of living but if you are taking home less than 2k a month that’s not the case. What do you do?

Because that's where the jobs are. I'm now retraining and the best opportunities for me are in Dublin. It's also my hometown, so God forbid I would want to stay near family/friends/support network (more important as I have a chronic illness). I suppose I should just go and rent a bedsit in the middle of Leitrim and work at the local Londis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

How can anyone afford a house in their 30's? The following are a few easy steps that can help....

1. Maximize your saving and reduce waste !
    A. Buy bags of frozen veg instead of fresh as they keep longer
    B. Use vouchers for shopping from magazines and offer letters
    C. Buy multi pack deals of meat in butcher or retailer and ask folks working their to portion out into separate bags for you.
    D. Learn to bake bread, its very easy to do, takes little time and the cost of ingredients can make you alot more bread than what you would buy for same cost.

2. Do you really need sky sports, movie channels, subscription services?
    A. If in contract with provider like sky, then remove add-ons, catch sport results on phone or live stream.
    B. Youtube has alot of free movies if you cancel your subscription, also Netflix is far cheaper product to have.
    C. Get Saorview if you don't have if and/or a free to air satellite package with a once off payment, much cheap than likes of sky.

3. Do you need the latest iphone, a bill plan which you may not get full use out of?
    A. Keep your current phone if modern enough, if you need to upgrade, buy a second hand or new phone online, great stuff on likes of Amazon and cheaper than
    having a network contract.
    B. Change your plan to prepay over bill pay if better value !

4. Cut down on frivolous spending on nonsense !
    A. Stop buying stuff just to have, alot of folks do this and end up with stuff that is effectively clutter as they use once or twice and store it away.
    B. Cut down on foreign holidays, do have some holidays but make yourself aware of costs, it can be cheaper to book hotel and flights yourself, package deals
    can often be much dearer.
    C. If work is relatively close to home then consider walking or cycling when weather is good, I am just as guilty of using car the whole time but learning to put the
    car keys down and walk is not only good for reducing spending but great for your health. If your health isn't great then it will improve it.

5. The most important advice i can give you - COMPROMISE !!!!!
    Too many people WANT a house in a specific area, yes there can be good reasons for this such as looking after a family member or kids going to school,
    don't drive and so on. BUT alot of decisions on where to live are based on laziness and unwillingness to travel too. I worked in Dublin when myself and my
    fiancee bought our current home but live an hour and bit drive from Dublin city center (traffic dependent). Be willing to compromise on location as this can be
    one of the most important influences on how much your new home will cost. Some sacrifices need to be made to have what you want......or an acceptable
    version of what you want. We got a lovely house, much bigger and vastly cheaper than what we would have paid for in Dublin. Check out will your travel
    expenses offset against saving you will make from further purchase.

I can tell you from experience that these are the things which can make or break buying a house. I bought my first house when i was 20, I am now 37 and living in my second purchase, my second home, it takes hard work and dedication, it will never be easy for most but it is achievable when appropriate effort applied.

This is such patronising nonsense, buying frozen veg isn't going to make getting a house happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Because that's where the jobs are. I'm now retraining and the best opportunities for me are in Dublin. It's also my hometown, so God forbid I would want to stay near family/friends/support network (more important as I have a chronic illness). I suppose I should just go and rent a bedsit in the middle of Leitrim and work at the local Londis.

Quit your woe is me attitude, you aren't earning enough to live in Dublin so either get a better job or move. Boo hoo and all that but that's literally the only options available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Sorry based on what you have told us what you earn you could earn it anywhere. if you are retraining then hopefully your situation will be different in the future and the situation improves.

if you need to be in dublin you need to be in dublin, but you will need to earn more money, its pretty straighforward.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    WTF are people spending their money on exactly?

If you're renting on your own in Dublin, that's a major luxury.

I don't rent on my own. I rent a room in a shared house.

What am I spending my money on?

600 - rent
    80(ish) - bills and house costs
    170 - transport pass
    up to 150ish - medical needs
    200 - food

That's 1200 right there and on top of that I still have student loan repayments, any other necessities, tiny bit of money on having a semblance of a social life, and I'm lucky to be able to save a couple of hundred a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

still there, also in kilkenny & drogheda

A lot of finance and IT jobs now based outside of Dublin if you look hard enough. Plenty of people in cashel working in either state street in Kilkenny or Norther Trust in Limerick. Think there's another funds company opening in limerick city centre. Theres a few based in Galway too. As another poster said there will always be legal work around the country. Naturally you may need to move to the likes of Dublin to gain your experience in these industries but there will be opportunities to relocate after while. Plus remote working is becoming increasingly common in some industries

GreeBo wrote: »
    All those head starts become irrelevant pretty quickly if, like the OP, you spent your way through your twenties.

Those things are certainly a large benefit, but they are not a requirement.

Some think that they are entitled to live in Dublin because, well, they want to. Life isnt like that.
    "Everyone" wants to live in Dublin, so the house prices are irrelevant, there are not enough houses for everyone who wants one, so of course the price is going to go up.
    To just expect your wages to magically go up to match them is insane.

Sure, OP was irresponsible and wasted many opportunities to save, but there are plenty of people who were diligent and still never got anywhere. Not everyone who can't afford a mortgage frittered away all their money on enjoying themselves.

pwurple wrote: »
    In fairness to Lainey, the salary is about 26k

x 3.5 = 91k max mortgage. Plus deposit to make up the rest.
    200k would seem difficult on that, alone. However, people do buy houses together when not married also...

Aim 1 has to be increase that salary, because it's very low for Dublin.

She (not sure why I'm assuming female, but there you go), will need to look at financially sound ways to do that. So rather than doing a masters or a teaching diploma, check the outcome first and the return on investment. I'd go to an independent career guidance professional. Show them what you have in terms of qualifications, take skills and aptitude tests, and look for progression advice.

I generally believe that there's no such thing as a wasted education, but sometimes the courses are more advantageous for personal development and academic interest rather than for a financial aim. Universities are businesses too, they are in the business of selling those courses to you.

I'm already changing career, but I'm limited as to what I can do because I have a disability and a long term illness. There's so much ableist sh1te on this thread, it's incredible. Not everyone is able to do highly paid jobs, that's just a fact. Do those people not deserve to have a modest home when they're also working hard? I'm not asking for a 5-bed detached house in Dalkey. I just want a modest little apartment so I'm not still sharing with strangers when I'm 50.
    Sleepy wrote: »
    26k is a first year graduate salary in most professional industries in Dublin (or perhaps a year 2 or 3 position in the civil service where one has to accept low wages as the opportunity cost of belonging to a public sector union imo - why urban members haven't insisted on the union fighting for an Irish equivalent of the "London Allowance" their UK counterparts have baffles me). 26k is a fine salary for someone in their early twenties. Most grads with a useful degree (business, IT, law or engineering) would be earning more than that 3 years after leaving college or by their mid-twenties.

For someone in their 30s it's a sign they've either wasted a lot of time studying for qualifications that aren't any use in the employment market (I'm thinking masters courses in humanities that have no application outside of academia), chopping and changed their area of study or career path or spent a large amount of time outside of the workforce / travelling etc.

If you want to buy in Dublin you need to be earning 40k or more. That's a fairly modest salary in Dublin and the likelihood will be that you'll be looking in working class areas at that level as you'll be priced out of anything else.

Those using national salary averages are being rather disingenuous here imo: most of us working in Dublin would take a large salary hit if we moved outside of the major cities. TBH, most of us would even take a hit moving to Cork or Galway.

So, what should those that are uninterested in doing degrees related to pursuing careers in STEM, business or Law do? My advice would be to aim for a public sector position outside of the cities. A teacher on year one of their salary scale (€36,318) would pass the LTI rules to buy a 3 bed property in large parts of Mayo, Cavan, Tipperary, Longford, Sligo, Wexford, Laois, Donegal, Clare etc. Even a Clerical officer in a Local Authority (starting on €23,587) would be able to afford a 3 bed in many parts of the country.

This is all grand, but as I said, not everyone is capable of working in IT, law or engineering. Plenty of people went into college to study things that would have got them jobs no bother before the recession. There were loads of grad schemes taking people with firsts and high 2:1s in 'any degree'. Lots of careers are off limits to me due to my disability - should I just flatshare forever, so? I don't deserve the opportunity to buy a small flat?

• Advertisement

I don't deserve the opportunity to buy a small flat?

you do, just not in dublin unless you earn more.

however given your disability are there not state supports available to you?

Quit your woe is me attitude, you aren't earning enough to live in Dublin so either get a better job or move. Boo hoo and all that but that's literally the only options available to you.

I do need to be in Dublin, especially now I'm retraining. I am trying to make more money. That's not the point of the thread, though, is it?

you do, just not in dublin unless you earn more.

however given your disability are there not state supports available to you?

No. I don't know why everyone assumes anyone who is ill or in any way disabled is entitled to welfare. Absolutely not true.

No. I don't know why everyone assumes anyone who is ill or in any way disabled is entitled to welfare. Absolutely not true.

On your income why not go on the housing list?

This is such patronising nonsense, buying frozen veg isn't going to make getting a house happen.

It's funny because plenty of people are ALREADY doing those things, just to survive at all. This advice might be useful to people who are high earners but wasting money on crap, but if you're genuinely struggling, you're already going to be doing most of this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Ah lads this thread is getting nonsensical now.

Life isn’t black and white. People want and need to stay and live and work in certain places. Nobody on the thread is demanding a house for free.

Why should we banish everyone who doesn’t earn over 40k to the countryside? Why should living in the capital city be restricted to those with college degrees? Where are the baristas you buy your coffee from, your bartenders and waiters who serve you when you go out for a pint and dinner meant to live? I don’t know many wait jobs that pay out 45k.

i didnt assume, i asked, you seem to take every question as a direct attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

This is all grand, but as I said, not everyone is capable of working in IT, law or engineering. Plenty of people went into college to study things that would have got them jobs no bother before the recession. There were loads of grad schemes taking people with firsts and high 2:1s in 'any degree'. Lots of careers are off limits to me due to my disability - should I just flatshare forever, so? I don't deserve the opportunity to buy a small flat?
    Grad schemes taking people with "any degreee" were never as common as they were made out to be (and when they did exists tended to be IT companies desperate for staff during the dot com boom taking on people with degrees that had mathematical / statistical qualities e.g. chemistry grads being hired to be trained as software consultants etc). Those who went to college with the aspiration of taking advantage of such schemes were basically wasting 3 or 4 years of free education on a hobby based on poor career guidance or their own delusions.

You have my sympathy for your difficulties due to your disability but it, and your low salary would qualify you to get on the waiting list for social housing (which would in turn give you access to HAP). That's what social housing schemes are supposed to be for and not even the most begrudging of those who give out about social housing "cradle-to-grave parasites" etc. have issues with those who suffer from disabilities availing of such schemes.

You haven't specified what your degree is in, what industry you're working in, what you're attempting to re-train as or what kind of work your disability precludes you from taking on (FWIW one of the best, and best paid, programmers I ever worked with was blind) so it's difficult to give advice. I get the feeling you seem to think that simply having a degree entitles you to a decent job and that you struggle with admitting your own actions (choice of degree, career changes etc) have directly contributed to the fact you can't currently afford to buy property.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yurt! wrote: »
    Rightmove has 769 1-2 bed apartments in Lisbon for sale live right now. And that's just one site. Keep shuffling the goalposts until you seem right.

Not for 200k it doesn't.
    Why not share what you consider to be an affordable price rather than just ignore prices.
    Dublin has 1044 2 bed apartments for sale right now for example.

These are your goalposts buddy, give us your criteria?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

A lot of snobbery on this thread towards just normal decent working people

• Advertisement

Ah lads this thread is getting nonsensical now.

Life isn’t black and white. People want and need to stay and love and work in certain places. Nobody on the thread is demanding a house for free.

Why should we banish everyone who doesn’t earn over 40k to the countryside? Why should living in the capital city be restricted to those with college degrees? Where are the baristas you buy your coffee from, your bartenders and waiters who serve you when you go out for a pint and dinner meant to live? I don’t know many wait jobs that pay out 45k.

It's not limited to college degrees is limited to people who can afford to live there.

I gave plenty of houses for under 200k for sake in Dublin right now, but apparently these arent nice enough for the posters on here.

bigpink wrote: »
    A lot of snobbery on this thread towards just normal decent working people

Jesus wept.
    Where is the snobbery?
    If you can't afford something then you can't afford it. I don't care if it's a house or a horse.

all I'm saying is there's an attitude of "it's your fault" if you're someone who is trained and wants to work in a sector that is based in large urban centres, to live within an easy commute and who wants to utilise the urban environs rather than somewhat more rural environs to live their lives. Nobody is entitled to their dream house, obviously. I don't want to live where I live but we quickly realised we needed to reprioritize when we came to buy. But I don't demonise people who strive for that.

Sorry but who's fault do you think it is exactly? Let me guess, fat cat bankers perchance?

Strive away but don't make it everyone else's problem to find you a house.
    Your decision to pick a career that meant you had to move to a city to find work and where the salary meant it's difficult to take your pick of houses.

I'm mean just listen to yourself.

"All i want is to do whatever career i want in the city centre and live nearby with an easy commute in a nice house" do you think your are alone in this dream? Get real.

Where did I say I wanted that? I was making the point that a 70k earner (which happenens to be double the national median wage) can't get a mortgage for what is the average sale price in Dublin. Which is illustrative of the housing clusterf*ck the country is in.

But I suspect you knew that already. Here's a saving tip for you, don't put words in people's mouths.

Its only a problem if you think you are entitled to live in Dublin. People keep explaining this to you but you keep ignoring it.
    I can't afford s new medisn priced tesla... is that my problem or elon musks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

People wasting money on Sky, latest iPhones with bill pay contracts, nice car, going on the piss every weekend, holidays and wondering why they can't save for a mortgage and fancy clothes. Boo Hoo

Manage your ****ing money for two or three years and cut out the non necessities.

There you go there's your deposit now go back to the life you were living. Set a budget and stick to it! It doesn't mean giving up everything that you like and not going out and staying at home all day scrounging every penny. Just compromise.

If you can't afford Dublin then look at commuter towns

Thing is right, I earn a decent salary. So does my wife. We bought a house during the tail end of the recession and I thank my lucky stars that we did. Because houses round our way are now going for 60k more than they did 4 years ago. That’s not about being able to afford to live somewhere that’s about supply and demand.

Are people forgetting that for almost a solid decade, right around when people in their 30s now we’re newly minted into the working world there was over 30% youth unemployment. Which meant 1 in 3 people who are now of prime house buying age didn’t have a job at all. And I’d wager that another massive chunk were hugely underemployed for their qualifications. During that time I was unable to find employment in my field because there were almost no jobs and when I tried to get a job in a shop etc they looked at me and saw someone that was vastly over qualified. So I have pretty much no savings because I used them to keep myself afloat when I was unemployed.

Or the implication that our capital city should be reserved for those who can afford the runaway house and apartment prices / rents. Evreyone else can feck off to the commuter belt. There are unbeleivable social and economic implications to this kind of attitude, and quite frankly, I find it childish.

Yep. Such a nasty attitude, and the kind that turns cities into soulless shells of themselves because only one kind of person can afford to live in them.
    Youre comparing a basic necessity of all human beings to a shuttle mission , well done.

Says a lot, doesn't it? Says it all about how he views housing as a commodity. Just another thing to buy and sell.
    I'm not getting in to a tit-for-tat here, it's pointless.

My family home is in the countryside. Nearest town 5 miles away.

My dad still lives there.

I'm not approaching this from a 'hurr durr cities are great everyone outside Dublin is a culchie with a horse and cart' perspective.

There are no, to my knowledge, jobs in my sector in my home town. I would say there might be a handful in the county.

Everyone has their own priorities when it comes to deciding on a place to live and call home. I have friends who would despise living in a city or even a bigger town. All I'm saying is there's an attitude of "it's your fault" if you're someone who is trained and wants to work in a sector that is based in large urban centres, to live within an easy commute and who wants to utilise the urban environs rather than somewhat more rural environs to live their lives. Nobody is entitled to their dream house, obviously. I don't want to live where I live but we quickly realised we needed to reprioritize when we came to buy. But I don't demonise people who strive for that.

I wonder do any of the people advocating for living in a rural area have ever lived in one. I've looked into it and there are barely any jobs. Not to mention that a single person in their thirties isn't going to have a great time in the middle of Leitrim on their own. It's far easier to live somewhere boring if you have a partner. If you're 30 something and want to find a partner, far more chance in Dublin of meeting someone and having a social life. Mental health is important.
    Sleepy wrote: »
    Grad schemes taking people with "any degreee" were never as common as they were made out to be (and when they did exists tended to be IT companies desperate for staff during the dot com boom taking on people with degrees that had mathematical / statistical qualities e.g. chemistry grads being hired to be trained as software consultants etc). Those who went to college with the aspiration of taking advantage of such schemes were basically wasting 3 or 4 years of free education on a hobby based on poor career guidance or their own delusions.

You have my sympathy for your difficulties due to your disability but it, and your low salary would qualify you to get on the waiting list for social housing (which would in turn give you access to HAP). That's what social housing schemes are supposed to be for and not even the most begrudging of those who give out about social housing "cradle-to-grave parasites" etc. have issues with those who suffer from disabilities availing of such schemes.

You haven't specified what your degree is in, what industry you're working in, what you're attempting to re-train as or what kind of work your disability precludes you from taking on (FWIW one of the best, and best paid, programmers I ever worked with was blind) so it's difficult to give advice. I get the feeling you seem to think that simply having a degree entitles you to a decent job and that you struggle with admitting your own actions (choice of degree, career changes etc) have directly contributed to the fact you can't currently afford to buy property.

They were common. Loads of my cousins did them, and did very well out of them. I have no aptitude for things like maths and science, so what was I supposed to do? Go into engineering and fail? I don't really want to specify details about myself, but I'll say I got a first class degree from Trinity in a solid subject (not sociology or English or history of art or media studies or anything else people think is a waste of time) and was told all the way through school and college that I'd be absolutely grand and go far. Is that my fault now? Was I somehow supposed to know that the economy would tank as I was graduating?

I actually have applied to be on the housing list, but as a single woman with no kids, it's a VERY long wait. Which is why I'm focusing on trying to retrain. As you can imagine, this is a big commitment and a big expense.

Don't want to go into details about my health issues either, but fatigue is a major problem. I've had periods where I wasn't able to work at all, and I was able to avail of some help at this times, but still had to dip into my meagre savings and this really set me back financially. I know a lot of people in the same position, who had periods of being unable to work or unable to work full-time through little to no fault of their own.

No, I don't think having a degree entitles me to a house. I think having a degree, a Master's degree, professional certs, years of experience, etc. should count for more than it does, but I've given up trying to get any further in the industry I'm in and am now changing to something hopefully more lucrative. My main point all along is that I don't think any educated professional should be priced out of buying a studio apartment.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Sorry but who's fault do you think it is exactly? Let me guess, fat cat bankers perchance?

Strive away but don't make it everyone else's problem to find you a house.
    Your decision to pick a career that meant you had to move to a city to find work and where the salary meant it's difficult to take your pick of houses.

I'm mean just listen to yourself.

"All i want is to do whatever career i want in the city centre and live nearby with an easy commute in a nice house" do you think your are alone in this dream? Get real.

Jesus. Who the f*ck pissed in your cornflakes?

I moved to the city because there were zero opportunities to do anything in the town I’m from.

I don’t give a rats ass about bankers. That’s not my concern. I think it’s my responsibility to get myself a house. Which I’ve done. But I also can see where other people are coming from. It’s called seeing things from other people’s perspectives and having some compassion.

Jesus.

Thing is right, I earn a decent salary. So does my wife. We bought a house during the tail end of the recession and I thank my lucky stars that we did. Because houses round our way are now going for 60k more than they did 4 years ago. That’s not about being able to afford to live somewhere that’s about supply and demand.

Are people forgetting that for almost a solid decade, right around when people in their 30s now we’re newly minted into the working world there was over 30% youth unemployment. Which meant 1 in 3 people who are now of prime house buying age didn’t have a job at all. And I’d wager that another massive chunk were hugely underemployed for their qualifications. During that time I was unable to find employment in my field because there were almost no jobs and when I tried to get a job in a shop etc they looked at me and saw someone that was vastly over qualified. So I have pretty much no savings because I used them to keep myself afloat when I was unemployed.

That's the thing. There's a small subset of the millennial generation now aged about 31-34 who graduated right into the recession and were just absolutely fcked. I, like many of my cohort, ended up taking anything I could just to get the rent paid, and had to go abroad (where things weren't a whole lot better). Whereas the previous generation spent their twenties getting on their feet, slowly getting promoted, earning more money, a lot of people I know were just taking anything they could. You didn't turn your nose up at an 18K a year call centre job, because that was a lot better than no job. Loads of people got to 30 and really hadn't gotten themselves established in a career or built up savings and they weren't all wasting their money on crap.

• Advertisement

Jesus. Who the f*ck pissed in your cornflakes?

I moved to the city because there were zero opportunities to do anything in the town I’m from.

I don’t give a rats ass about bankers. That’s not my concern. I think it’s my responsibility to get myself a house. Which I’ve done. But I also can see where other people are coming from. It’s called seeing things from other people’s perspectives and having some compassion.

Jesus.

These other people don't want compassion, they want cheapest, nicer houses in nice areas to be built and reserved for them.

Advertisement