Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bejaysus Muckit is on mine as well.

Screenshot-2019-02-14-13-14-08.png

It's like that so? Right then ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

gozunda wrote: »
    It's like that so? Right then ... :pac:

We are all like married couples here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What do they base it on?

whelan2 wrote: »
    What do they base it on?

Must be based on who you thank. But tbh I dont remember using the thanks button that much and some cases not at all lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭emaherx

Must be based on who you thank. But tbh I dont remember using the thanks button that much and some cases not at all lol!

Oh really? You've been slapping it around! And Muckit! FFS
    473172.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Muckit is a durty sluh!! :D

473176.jpg

emaherx wrote: »
    Oh really? You've been slapping it around! And Muckit! FFS
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=473172&stc=1&d=1550181301

Nah- you're just wildly popular! As I said I dont remember being so generous:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,638 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

It's that fighting bull type breed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourada_%C3%A0_corda

They have bullfights with horse and riders too.

The Kerry Cow is actually closely related to them

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The Kerry Cow is actually closely related to them

I've met Kerry cows in the past and they were fairly laid back temperament wise imo.

What are Kerry bulls like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Water John wrote: »
    A bad one would come looking for you, not run away. hard to keep all of a suckler herd docile.

Slaney meats do it for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

They are fighting bulls, bred to be agressive. A cattle crush wouldn't go astray though.
    I thought I saw small blue crush at the start , maybe they want to handle them that way to train them to be excited with people when let through the doors to the bullring .
    Same way alot of lads dosed around here when I was young

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Bullocks wrote: »
    I thought I saw small blue crush at the start , maybe they want to handle them that way to train them to be excited with people when let through the doors to the bullring .
    Same way alot of lads dosed around here when I was young

Ya that makes sense. Train them to charge.
    In the old days when I was very young, I remember using rings here that we put on cattle's legs in a loose shed. We'd let out the young animal then and pull a rope tru the rings. That would knock him to the ground where he'd be tied up for castration or polling, or both. The good old days eh.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Ya that makes sense. Train them to charge.
    In the old days when I was very young, I remember using rings here that we put on cattle's legs in a loose shed. We'd let out the young animal then and pull a rope tru the rings. That would knock him to the ground where he'd be tied up for castration or polling, or both. The good old days eh.
    Oh ya great times but I wouldn't swop them for a good crush and a bottle of pour on haha. I remember the nerves heading into a little stone shed with a couple of weanlins in there to be caught and drenched with a glass bottle, the worst part for a young lad like me was holding the bottle of stuff with a warning not to drop it at all costs cos we didn't have another bottle if it broke.
    We had a good set up at home always but lads were always asking the old boy to dose/skull/squeeze their few, I think mostly cos he would bring his own dose and not take money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The price of posting BVD samples is going up again at the end of the month to E2.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/bvd-postage-costs-rising-to-2-this-month-441319

Do you ever get the feeling that you're being rode?:mad:

The price of posting BVD samples is going up again at the end of the month to E2.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/bvd-postage-costs-rising-to-2-this-month-441319

Do you ever get the feeling that you're being rode?:mad:
    How long more is left in the scheme. Only bought 10 x €1.80 stamps yesterday. I suppose it will be easier to put 2 x €1 stamps on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I've met Kerry cows in the past and they were fairly laid back temperament wise imo.

What are Kerry bulls like?
    Usually the quite the cow the more wicket the bull. The bulls mobility is an issue as well. With the exception of He and SH most traditional breeds bulls are wicket enough. The Jersey cow would lick you to death but the bulls are wicked but on top of that there mobility is a real issue. I say Kerry bulls would be the same.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

Usually the quite the cow the more wicket the bull. The bulls mobility is an issue as well. With the exception of He and SH most traditional breeds bulls are wicket enough. The Jersey cow would lick you to death but the bulls are wicked but on top of that there mobility is a real issue. I say Kerry bulls would be the same.

Any bull with a milk strain was always wicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

kk.man wrote: »
    Any bull with a milk strain was always wicked.

Nothing to do with milk, it's the fact that they are hand reared. The same bull reared under a cow would be dead quiet. Google Temple Grandin - she might explain it better.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

We had only 2 Jersey cows here that would absolutely kill you after calving and weren't very trustworthy any other time either, one of them was called Johnny after a short old man down the road that was always cranky haha

So dept vets came to dna some of my cows who's calves I sold were stolen. I was expecting them to blood them but it was just a tag like the genomic tag. Handy job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Man died there in kesh after being attacked by a bull a few days ago:( RIP.

Man died there in kesh after being attacked by a bull a few days ago:( RIP.

I'll never forget a neighbour here who was attacked by a bull in the 90s. The bull had been quiet but unexpectedly attacked the man then in his eighties. He was in a bad way for a long time and dont think ever fully recovered. You cant be to careful around them tbh. Another bull was diagnosed with a brain abscess which resulted in it trying to take out anyone and anything within a 100 yards. That one had to be pts in the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭emaherx

Lost car/Jeep/tractor/yard keys earlier while tagging calves. Found them with kids toy metal detector :D

Had a sales person in a red land cruiser 171 ke reg today. He drove in by the house and straight down the yard. I came out and was waiting for him when he came back up from his viewing. Is the boss man around.... I said he's away. Going on about feed troughs for calves. Showing me cheques from local farmers who bought from him also said he wasn't getting out of the jeep as the prick of a dog was there....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Asking for the 'boss man' really ruled out any business.

Water John wrote: »
    Asking for the 'boss man' really ruled out any business.

Driving down the yard pissed me off big time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Driving down the yard pissed me off big time

We're the cheques genuine I wonder

Reggie. wrote: »
    We're the cheques genuine I wonder

He had a load of sterling notes and cheques from 2 local farmers. I would know them. But I wasn't doing any business with him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

He had a load of sterling notes and cheques from 2 local farmers. I would know them. But I wasn't doing any business with him

Pity the boss man wasn't there. He might have done business 😀

• Advertisement

I was waiting on department vet, so thought it might have been him. Just goes to show the value of a good dog

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement