Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot hatch insurance

Options
  • 21-02-2019 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I've decided to pull the trigger and make the ridiculously expensive, but more importantly fun, decision to buy a 182 Civic Type R.

I've got one quote on insurance from cornmarket @ 1880 p/a for comprehensive. None of the major insurers (that I've found) will offer quotes.

Anyone got any suggestions to try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I've decided to pull the trigger and make the ridiculously expensive, but more importantly fun, decision to buy a 182 Civic Type R.

I've got one quote on insurance from cornmarket @ 1880 p/a for comprehensive. None of the major insurers (that I've found) will offer quotes.

Anyone got any suggestions to try?

I insured an S2000 with XSDirect a few years ago. Was €1200 at the time but major insurers wouldn’t touch me - it was reasonable (comparatively speaking only) compared to some quotes I got. (€5k plus)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

Yeah 1,800 is also comparatively reasonable. Keeping in mind i'm <25 with 3 (almost 4 but doesn't count for insurance...) on my Irish licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've no suggestions, I'm actually of no help, I'm just insanely jealous.

Have lots of fun, and bring it to the Vee Pass in Tipperary. Just don't pull the handbrake up after driving it. My brake pads welded themselves to the brake disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

That doesn't seem bad at all considering your age.

Liberty will quote me on the same vehicle fully comp with 2 years NCB in own name at around €950 ish. I'm 31.

If you get the Type R post pics in the motor forum :o

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

Liberty is my current insurer, have 5 months left on my current policy to make it to 4 years no claims bonus which would be a significant help...

They won't transfer my new car onto that policy though, charged me 30e for a change of address while they were at it too, bastards :pac:

So been thinking about what to do to maintain the year of no claims bonus and not sacrifice it, I won't be cancelling the policy I currently have.

But I don't want to pay / know how it would work taking out a coinciding policy, been thinking about getting a temp policy depending on price.

I'll definitely post some pics :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Liberty is my current insurer, have 5 months left on my current policy to make it to 4 years no claims bonus which would be a significant help...

They won't transfer my new car onto that policy though, charged me 30e for a change of address while they were at it too, bastards :pac:

I have been with Liberty for 5 plus years now, and previously have tried to get quotes for cars I had considered buying, and each time I got the same answer over the phone

We can't quote you on that type of car.
    We don't insure that type of car .
    The system won't let me quote you on that model... is it a Japanese Import?

Every single time I just bought the car, rang them up after the fact and told them, I want to switch my insurance policy to my new car. They did it, no questions asked.

My theory is that they refuse to quote you to dissuade you from buying that car (for whatever reason). However once you have already purchased the car, it's clear that you're serious and they don't want to lose your custom.

Give it a go, and post pics of the car :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Newish Civic Type R and a driver under 25 without full ncb?

It'll be pricey wherever you get cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I have been with Liberty for 5 plus years now, and previously have tried to get quotes for cars I had considered buying, and each time I got the same answer over the phone

We can't quote you on that type of car.
    We don't insure that type of car .
    The system won't let me quote you on that model... is it a Japanese Import?

Every single time I just bought the car, rang them up after the fact and told them, I want to switch my insurance policy to my new car. They did it, no questions asked.

My theory is that they refuse to quote you to dissuade you from buying that car (for whatever reason). However once you have already purchased the car, it's clear that you're serious and they don't want to lose your custom.

Give it a go, and post pics of the car :D

That's a fairly risky strategy!! :eek:

Advertisement