Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Referees have also clamped down on the holding the ball up turnover and there's very little competing at rucks anymore. .

Completely news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Buer wrote: »
    Completely news to me.

Have you noticed the amount of times referees are putting their arms out to indicate to the defending team to let go of the attacker to stop them holding him up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Have you noticed the amount of times referees are putting their arms out to indicate to the defending team to let go of the attacker to stop them holding him up?

I have noticed this season that there seems to be an increase in the time taken before the ref calls "Maul". I'm ok with this though. The choke tackle slows the game a lot. Rather than change a rule they seem to have just given the attacker an extra couple of seconds to get a knee on the ground.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Usually it's because the ball carrier has got a knee to ground and therefore it's a tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Zzippy wrote: »
    Usually it's because the ball carrier has got a knee to ground and therefore it's a tackle.

Yeah I think this is more of an improvement of player awareness of the need to get their knee to the ground than a change in refereeing.

• Advertisement

Because he has managed to get a leg to ground and therefore it's a tackle. This is the carrier being smarter and I would imagine coaching has moved forward to work with players getting a knee down and negate the choke tackle.

But I still see choke tackles successfully implemented in plenty of matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jmn51927

Team for Ireland in correspondence with latest team update and Belfast squad
    Healy Best Furlong Ryan Henderson POM SOB Cj Murray Sexton Stockdale Farrell Ringrose Earls Kearney
    Scannell Kilcoyne Ryan/Porter(tough to tell) JvDF Marmion Carbery Larmour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Bit of an obtuse question, but great answer:

https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/1102940602600251397

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

jmn51927 wrote: »
    Team for Ireland in correspondence with latest team update and Belfast squad
    Healy Best Furlong Ryan Henderson POM SOB Cj Murray Sexton Stockdale Farrell Ringrose Earls Kearney
    Scannell Kilcoyne Ryan/Porter(tough to tell) JvDF Marmion Carbery Larmour

I thought Carbery was out.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Bit of an obtuse question, but great answer:

Can't help but think that whoever asked that was looking to create a bit of needle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Can't help but think that whoever asked that was looking to create a bit of needle.

Isn't it a bit more interesting than the usual press conference banality?

Isn't it a bit more interesting than the usual press conference banality?

Possibly but that's purely down to the measured tone of Kearney's response in the face of it. I don't think it was any way more insightful or revealing than the usual mundane questions.

I suppose it has prompted comment which is more than most questions though, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Clegg wrote: »
    Do we have a match thread for France yet? I was hoping they'd adopt their usual bat**** selection policy and drop Dupont for Parra. But alas, it wasn't to be. Here's the side

1. Poirot
    2. Guirado
    3. Bamba
    4. Lambey
    5. Vaahaamahina
    6. Lauret
    7. Iturria
    8. Picamoles
    9. Dupont
    10. Ntamack
    11. Higher
    12. Fickou
    13. Bastereud
    14. Penaud
    15. Ramos

As always lineout key for Ireland.
    Up against 4 genuine lineout options - Lambey, VaHaHa, Lauret, Iturria.
    Expecting Irish pack will be same as last year. Ryan, Henderson, PO’M, VdF, CJ etc.
    Im making another case for Beirne! I’d start him in the backrow instead of VdF.

Fra v Scot
    Lineout: 11/11 & I think they stole 2
    Scrum: 5/5 & Won a pen on Scot scrum

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

As always lineout key for Ireland.
    Up against 4 genuine lineout options - Lambey, VaHaHa, Lauret, Iturria.
    Expecting Irish pack will be same as last year. Ryan, Henderson, PO’M, VdF, CJ etc.
    Im making another case for Beirne! I’d start him in the backrow instead of VdF.

Fra v Scot
    Lineout: 11/11 & I think they stole 2
    Scrum: 5/5 & Won a pen on Scot scrum

Whatever about 6, Beirne definitely isn't a 7 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Who knows how good France are? They beat a poor Scotland, got smashed by England and somehow managed to beat themselves against Wales!
    They do have exciting young talent. When they are in full flow, they're brilliant.
    On the other hand, there's the 2nd half v Wales.
    I think this is a banana skin for us.
    Especially with Murray's woes.
    If he's as pedestrian as he has been recently, we will struggle.
    His extremely slow play is affecting Sexton too, imo.
    I hope Marmion gets the nod. Waiting for Murray to fix himself is ludicrous.
    Any kind of a win would be fine by me. But I hope we put in a performance.
    As poor as we've been, going to Cardiff with 3 wins on the trot would be ideal.
    This 6nations has been an eye opener for us. We clearly are a little off the boil and opposing sides seem to have figured out our strengths.
    Our play so far, is a mixed bag. We've been lethargic and absent of ideas.
    1 great performance this week could be what is needed to reverse the lethargy.
    France will come out hard and fast, we have to be up for the physical battles and put it to them.
    I think constant pressure on the half backs could see us through.

Is there a specific reason why France name their team so early? Doubt it will change Ireland's team selection or tactics but knowing your opponent's team 5 days out from the match seems handy!

aloooof wrote: »

Yes not on the traditional sense. Put POM at open side for scrums.
    I think VdF primary asset is the amount of ground he covers in defense and tackle count.

Against France a “rangy” player could be sacrificed for someone who offers a bit more physicality, turnover threat and line out option.

This is a game tailored for Beirne. Ireland are in need of some of the big moments he can provide with turnovers and lineout steals/options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

aloooof wrote: »

Yes not on the traditional sense. Put POM at open side for scrums.
    I think VdF primary asset is the amount of ground he covers in defense and tackle count.

Against France a “rangy” player could be sacrificed for someone who offers a bit more physicality, turnover threat and line out option.

This is a game tailored for Beirne. Ireland are in need of some of the big moments he can provide with turnovers and lineout steals/options.

There's a reason why locks don't make good opensides. They're almost never fast enough. Similarly, opensides don't make good locks because they're not big enough.

In the Venn diagram which is the forward pack, there is a small intersection between athletic locks and massive blindsides that can occasionally be occupied by good players.

Seems confirmed that Cronin will miss out then. Herring to be called up apparently. https://www.the42.ie/sean-cronin-ireland-six-nations-france-4525088-Mar2019/?section=comment#comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I have noticed this season that there seems to be an increase in the time taken before the ref calls "Maul". I'm ok with this though. The choke tackle slows the game a lot. Rather than change a rule they seem to have just given the attacker an extra couple of seconds to get a knee on the ground.
    Zzippy wrote: »
    AdamD wrote: »
    Yeah I think this is more of an improvement of player awareness of the need to get their knee to the ground than a change in refereeing.
    Because he has managed to get a leg to ground and therefore it's a tackle. This is the carrier being smarter and I would imagine coaching has moved forward to work with players getting a knee down and negate the choke tackle.

But I still see choke tackles successfully implemented in plenty of matches.

Thanks for the replies. Still confused though. A leg to the ground? A knee to the ground? If it's a leg then it's your foot right? If it's a knee then does it have to stay there? I've never seen a player held up trying to get his knee on the ground? Help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Thanks for the replies. Still confused though. A leg to the ground? A knee to the ground? If it's a leg then it's your foot right? If it's a knee then does it have to stay there? I've never seen a player held up trying to get his knee on the ground? Help!

A knee or higher. At which point the tackled player is down and the tackler has to release. It does not have to stay down. Have a look again and you’ll see it in future.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Seems confirmed that Cronin will miss out then. Herring to be called up apparently. https://www.the42.ie/sean-cronin-ireland-six-nations-france-4525088-Mar2019/?section=comment#comments

Another fall from grace for Cronin.

My gues at throwing accuracies
    1.Herring
    2.Scannell
    3.Best
    4.Cronin
    And scummaging
    1.Best
    2.Herring
    3.Scannell
    4.Cronin

• Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ireland by 20

Whilst I can completely understand Cronin being singled out for criticism for his Italian showing, I have to say I think dropping him from the wider squad is completely over the top. He is having the season of his life overall and has gone from starting a 6N game to being out of the wider squad? I'd never have him starting for Ireland and would readily go with Best and Scannell (and possibly Herring) ahead of him but he still provides more impact from the bench than most players in this country and is ideal in scenarios when the pace needs to be lifted in the closing quarter.

This is more than a little reminiscent of Stringer in 2007, to me. It strikes me as very knee jerk with a touch of scapegoating.

Whilst I can completely understand Cronin being singled out for criticism for his Italian showing, I have to say I think dropping him from the wider squad is completely over the top. He is having the season of his life overall and has gone from starting a 6N game to being out of the wider squad? I'd never have him starting for Ireland and would readily go with Best and Scannell (and possibly Herring) ahead of him but he still provides more impact from the bench than most players in this country and is ideal in scenarios when the pace needs to be lifted in the closing quarter.

This is more than a little reminiscent of Stringer in 2007, to me. It strikes me as very knee jerk with a touch of scapegoating.

He’s lost his spot primarily because of strength of opposition lineout this week and taking into account the amount of mistakes this team is making at the moment.
    In this context and on the back of his performance last week I think it’s reasonable that Cronin Gets “hooked” for the steadier set piece options.

& this in Sunday RagIndo. Re: Aus tour
    “.Then he fell foul of management at tour's end in a breach of discipline that saw the hooker reprimanded subsequently by his employers.”

That’s mad. What the hell did he do? I’ve never heard of an Irish player been disciplined.

• Administrators Posts: 53,393 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He’s lost his spot primarily because of strength of opposition lineout this week and taking into account the amount of mistakes this team is making at the moment, in this context and on the back of his performance last week I think it’s reasonable that Cronin Gets “hooked” for the steadier set piece options.

& this in Sunday RagIndo
    “.Then he fell foul of management at tour's end in a breach of discipline that saw the hooker reprimanded subsequently by his employers.”

That’s mad. What the hell did he do? I’ve never heard of an Irish player been disciplined.
    There was a lot of talk about that incident at the time.

Him and another player had a bit of an altercation on the way home from Australia.

awec wrote: »
    There was a lot of talk about that incident at the time.

Him and another player had a bit of an altercation on the way home from Australia.

Oh.i never heard a thing until Sun.
    It Must have been over a missed flight!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Enough with the unsubstantiated rumours please. If it hasn't been published in the papers Boards will not be taking the risk of publishing it. And a reminder that players' private lives are off limits in this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The surprise is not that Cronin is dropped but that he's still in the frame at all.

He's a better hooker than Scannell and much better than Herring. I'm very comfortable saying that and I'm ready for the Munster and Ulster backlash.

However, to paraphrase Rob Kearney, coaches are human too. Joe just doesn't like/trust/rate Cronin for whatever reason, he never has. If Strauss' body hadn't fallen to pieces Cronin would have a fraction of the caps he has.

Joe can see just as well as we can that the whole lineout was a mess against Italy. He saw the lack of improvement when Scannell came on. No objective review would say Cronin was the only problem, but dropping him and calling up Herring is a very clear statement of exactly that.

Such is pro sport I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement