Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

red petal wrote: »
    I just had a 2017 5 series dropped to my workplace. We had to change rental companies as europcar are absoultely dire.

I've no idea when I will get my car back but at least a car closer to my own will shut me up moaning for a little while.

1) are BMW covering the cost????.

2) what happened with Europcar - was it a switch your own insurance to the hire car issue or something else

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

My auld lads 518 is in waiting in Bolands too, they've been very good in fairness, its not like this issue can be resolved any quicker if the parts simply can't be made quick enough. We also got a brand spanking new Tucson, can't see how its Irelands best selling SUV to be honest. I just find it so cheap in places and completely gutless.

No way I would pay 35K for one.

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Did you all get courtesy cars for the inspection day? If so, were they like-for-like models?

No I was sent away on shanks mare, only got a hire car after they held onto my car

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Old diesel wrote: »
    1) are BMW covering the cost????.

2) what happened with Europcar - was it a switch your own insurance to the hire car issue or something else

Yes they are covering the cost. BMW use both europcar and enterprise for their rentals. BMW had authorised an F group car for me after all the hassle and Europcar were pretending they had no BMW's available in any of their branches when they had. They were tripping over their own lies and were not very helpful to say the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Did you all get courtesy cars for the inspection day? If so, were they like-for-like models?

I got a loan of a 151 520d which was 1 year older than mine. I was charged €12 for the 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

They charged you for the courtesy car!? God I hope they try that with me tomorrow - they will be told where to shove their charge :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Sounds like it’s the cost of putting you on their insurance you were charged for.

Even still, they should have covered this given the reason he was there in the first place.

Even still, they should have covered this given the reason he was there in the first place.

Agreed

While this recall is a right pain in the H*le and being handled very badly by BMW judging by the posts on here, I for one am glad to be getting the valve replaced in my car. At least when its done, then its done......I hope!!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 doran2436

Hi i just get my car back 5 weeks with BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

In BMW at the mo getting my 131 520D checked out. Getting them to look at another issue for me as a courtesy for taking the day off work to come in :)

Just dropped mine and got a 191 218i SkyActive for the day. Not the worst. Its a manual though and very "clunky" to drive coming from an auto 5er.

Edit - confirmed they are grounding 10% of cars with a 4 week lead time for return.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

A 218i SkyActive? Is that the new unheard-of venture between BMW and Mazda? :pac:

Bah - my mistake sorry - its a 218i Active Tourer!

The grief of losing my 5-series after only having it 4 weeks is gone to my head :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

did the the on line request to book an x5 in with Keane Blackrock over a month ago as per the BMW letter guidance - not a word from them. If it goes up in flames i’m covered

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Bah - my mistake sorry - its a 218i Active Tourer!

The grief of losing my 5-series after only having it 4 weeks is gone to my head :D:D:D:D

Understandable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If the customer has to book time off work to get recall work done then the manufacturer is getting it wrong.

Just got the call - come and collect. All is well with the world again.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

There are a crap load of BMWs in a compound at Rosslare port. Chatting to one of the workers there, they come and go on trucks regularly.

Can't be good for a car to sit being battered by the Irish Sea day in and day out for weeks.

Certainly looks like one yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭ofcork

Looks like a 5 series.

ofcork wrote: »
    Looks like a 5 series.

If this is a bmw then surely we are all taking a risk driving these cars every day until they have been examined. It’s too serious of an issue to take chances with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Is the new part modified or updated in some way or are hey just 'resetting the clock' as with the initial timing chains?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tigercelt

My 2016 5 series collected on the 14th feb after power loss and dash warning lights , as soon as I rang bmw with problem , they collected and told me not to drive , got my car back on Wednesday of this week with egr replaced , Colons of Naas did repair , there was some amount of cars lined up to go into work shop and also to be collected , major issue for bmw and now after seeing that car up on fire last week very dangerous obviously , bmw struggling to manage whole affair , replacement car process a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

I live in the UK and have a 520d msport and was in for its first MOT in October 2018. While in for the MOT in the bmw garage they advise of the issue to me for the first time. I had the repair done some 8 weeks later, left in to garage at 9am and picked it back up at 4.30pm.

They did say sometimes they dont have the parts and may have to wait for them but no mention of impounding the car till they come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

152 5 series UK import with a 5-year service pack. I left the car in for service with Murphy and Gunn just before they closed their garage in Milltown in Sept 2018. The car had gone into limp mode once or twice and was getting the odd stutter in the engine first thing in the mornings. Anyway, they serviced it and didn't report any faults to me and then promptly closed down. The problem persisted after the service but they closed before I returned to complain.

I then got the car checked by a friend who told me the EGR valve fault was showing up. Called Frank Keane who immediately scheduled the repair. I had to wait for about a month and the fix was done overnight. They gave me a spare 3 series for the day

Car running fine since the repair touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

This may be what an EGR failure and subsequent fire looks like.

https://youtu.be/8FaUpPHsALo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

No egr in that, or is there? That's an M5 isn't it?

Advertisement