Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used BMW i3 experiences

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

http://www.mybmwi3.com/ quite a bit on this forum about batteries and degradation. Definitely you cannot use 100% of actual battery capacity.

Some owners in the states see large degradation of battery on older models. They could just be unlucky or the high temperatures killing the battery.

Is that degradation or simply the useable portion of the battery though?
    All batteries have built in buffers so you never really hit a true 100% or a true 0%.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

https://insideevs.com/lets-look-at-the-specs-of-the-samsung-sdi-94-ah-battery/amp/ they expect up to 843,000 km on the 94ah before it degrades to 80% capacity. Interesting!

Is there any analysis out there on i3 batteries in Europe?

kceire wrote: »
    Is that degradation or simply the useable portion of the battery though?
    All batteries have built in buffers so you never really hit a true 100% or a true 0%.

Yes they have built in buffers.

There are people on that forum in the States who have seen capacity go below 80% after a short period of time. They seem to hint at temperature, as we don't have high temperature climate possibly we won't see such issues here.

I remember seeing analysis of EV battery performance over several years, it covered several makes and models. I think it was US based though. Would be good to see EU based study.

This is the range I was getting in 181 i3 REX when full. I was in the most economical mode.

20190331-081028.png

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Hi all, I've been thinking about changing my wife's car (2014 C Max ) for quite sometime. My commute is 42 kms each way all motorway with the option of charging for free at work. Hoping to punt the C Max privately for about €12k and was planning to pickup a Leaf for similar money. Ideally one that would also cover a summer drive of 90kms to our summer place. Anyway long story short I ended up test driving a new i3 by accident and am smitten. I'm conscious it is only a 4 seater and we have a 6 & 3 year old with a new one on the way. However the car would really just be used for my commute to work. Any weekend spins with all of us could easily be in my car.

I'm thinking of heading to the UK to purchase an i3. Ideally without the Rex as from what I read here they are not VRT exempt. Hoping for some help on what exact model I should be looking for to cover the above commuting needs. In short something that would definitely cover at least 100 kms in all seasons would work perfect for me, appreciate if may mean paying more than the money we would get for the C Max.

Appreciate any input....

• Advertisement

Hi all, I've been thinking about changing my wife's car (2014 C Max ) for quite sometime. My commute is 42 kms each way all motorway with the option of charging for free at work. Hoping to punt the C Max privately for about €12k and was planning to pickup a Leaf for similar money. Ideally one that would also cover a summer drive of 90kms to our summer place. Anyway long story short I ended up test driving a new i3 by accident and am smitten. I'm conscious it is only a 4 seater and we have a 6 & 3 year old with a new one on the way. However the car would really just be used for my commute to work. Any weekend spins with all of us could easily be in my car.

I'm thinking of heading to the UK to purchase an i3. Ideally without the Rex as from what I read here they are not VRT exempt. Hoping for some help on what exact model I should be looking for to cover the above commuting needs. In short something that would definitely cover at least 100 kms in all seasons would work perfect for me, appreciate if may mean paying more than the money we would get for the C Max.

Appreciate any input....

If going fully Electric, try aim for the 94Ah version.
    The 60Ah may cover you but nice to have that bit of buffer just incase.

Mid 2016 onwards.
    What's your total budget and you wont get an i3 for 12k.

Was originally planning on only spending €12-€14k but looks like I may have to go closer to €20k at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,915 ✭✭✭Patser

Definitely get the 94ah one, I've a 60ah and yes can do 100km each day easily, but it'll be a bit tight if something else comes up. Having the charger at work though, if guaranteed available every day will get rid of that concern though.

Remember if you go BEV only, and you're importing there'll be no VRT so you don't need to factor that in to your maths.

As for what bells and whistles to get, that's up to you. Reversing camera is nice, parking assist is never used and gimmicky. Bigger middle screen is nice, especially if you use nav a lit but if you don't get it, you wont miss it with smaller screen. I like my wooden trim dash, and lots of passengers comment on it to - again if you don't get, you'll never miss it. DC charging v handy to have, not always on i3 but again you'll only use it rarely (on big trip, or just if its handy) especially if you've other car for long trips. I love my sunroof, others on here have said they don't really want/need/use theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Appreciate any input....

If I were you, I'd go for the REx, even though you have to pay a little bit of VRT.
    With the REx, you'll not have to worry about your range, nor about getting the charger in work. Plus you wouldn't have to push your budget to the 94ah battery or DC charging (the 60ah battery with REx will cover you for everything).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The REx will hold its value too.

New EVs hitting the market will have bigger batteries, but none will have the REx which wipes out range anxiety and network reliance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

The best thing about the Rex is that you can squeeze all the juice from the battery as u have the fail safe rex backup.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Someone posted a 142 Rex up on the EV buy and sell on facebook in middleton this evening, looking for €19,900.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Someone posted a 142 Rex up on the EV buy and sell on facebook in middleton this evening, looking for €19,900.

That would be me :)

Didn't want to post anything on the forum in case it would be against the forum rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,874 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Didn't want to post anything on the forum in case it would be against the forum rules.

You can post your own car in the EV bargains thread. It would have to be a bargain though :pac:

unkel wrote: »
    You can post your own car in the EV bargains thread. It would have to be a bargain though :pac:

Quality and bargain do not always intersect... ;)

I did the whole pure ev thing for 3 years and 85,000 Kms and I would definitely not recommend it again until both range and infrastructure improves and regarding infrastructure, improve substantially.

Since 2015 no new DC chargers have been installed only some upgraded, we are years behind and it's likely to be another few years before it greatly improves.

I love the freedom the Rex provides, to go anywhere , any time and not worry about a potential 2 hr wait at a DC charger in a 2 car queue.

The 94 Ah i3 also has a 3 phase charger which can charge from 10- about 90 % in 2 hrs 20 mins and is very convenient when plugged into most of our 3 phase 22 Kw chargers. You need to purchase a 3 phase charging lead separately.

And the i3 is a blast to drive. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Since 2015 no new DC chargers have been installed only some upgraded

Au contraire, several new DC fast chargers have been installed recently, where none were before, Nenagh for example.

Kramer wrote: »
    Au contraire, several new DC fast chargers have been installed recently, where none were before, Nenagh for example.

Really ? any more ?

Still , 1 per site is pretty bad in fairness.

Soarer wrote: »
    If I were you, I'd go for the REx, even though you have to pay a little bit of VRT.
    With the REx, you'll not have to worry about your range, nor about getting the charger in work. Plus you wouldn't have to push your budget to the 94ah battery or DC charging (the 60ah battery with REx will cover you for everything).

Just had a look and they do seem like better value in fairness. Any idea what the approx real world range is on a 60ah Rex without having to use the range extender?

Just had a look and they do seem like better value in fairness. Any idea what the approx real world range is on a 60ah Rex without having to use the range extender?

I haven't. I only drove an i3 REx on an extended test drive last year, so didn't have long enough to gauge.
    The REx was excellent though. I'd planned my day dropping the kids hither and dither, judging my battery range accordingly. Got a call in the early afternoon to say the eldest fella had a match 20 miles away. Would've been goosed if I was in a BEV (would've had to take the wife's car!:eek:). But I was able to drive the REx out and back no problems.

So the main worry that people have of EVs of "but what if I need to go to Dublin at the drop of a hat?" is completely removed. You can reap the benefits of day-to-day EV ownership, but with the added convenience of a "normal" car!

If the doors don't drive you scatty! ;)

• Advertisement

Lol but seemingly some folk here think it's mad to refill the tank after 100 odd kms ! :D

8 seconds to fill up or possibly 2 hrs by the time you have queued and got your charge ? I know what I'd choose !

I'm getting up to 110km in Eco Pro at the moment. I would expect it to rise some more in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

Lol but seemingly some folk here think it's mad to refill the tank after 100 odd kms ! :D

And the reality is that you're using the tank in conjunction with the battery, so stopping every 100kms would be a rare event. At least that's my experience.

It is a rare event if someone gets to charge when they pull up. Or is willing to wait.

Great to have when it's needed all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Checked out your ad on done deal. That car sure is well specced! Looks like it has everything!

Curious. What are you moving to ? Full EV?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »

Checked out your ad on done deal. That car sure is well specced! Looks like it has everything!

Curious. What are you moving to ? Full EV?

Staying with plug in hybrid and bought an Ampera. Need the extra boot space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Any idea what the approx real world range is on a 60ah Rex without having to use the range extender?

Wife did a 54 km round trip today. 57% battery left with an estimated range left of 68km

mordeith wrote: »
    Wife did a 54 km round trip today. 57% battery left with an estimated range left of 68km

Sound like the Rex could be ideal for my commute, access to work charger is not a problem. Must do a bit more research before we list the wife's car for sale..

These ranges don't look right for a 60ah REx, do they?

MWJkZDU4MmU2YjI2MTEyNjFjZDkwN2IyNzAzZGU0OTaR_x1JSRWDnxKvA1A7M2ohaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjA3Nzc2NjF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    These ranges don't look right for a 60ah REx, do they?

MWJkZDU4MmU2YjI2MTEyNjFjZDkwN2IyNzAzZGU0OTaR_x1JSRWDnxKvA1A7M2ohaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjA3Nzc2NjF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I’m not sure.
    My 94Ah will display 228km on a good day.
    Getting that is a challenge though.

The lads on the Facebook group say realistically 60-70 miles on a 60Ah version.

Advertisement