Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

L drivers, cars taken

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

What are you trying to say between all those articles you copied? Its hard to follow you.

I'm sorry you find it difficult. The articles say how large a number of people in Ireland are uninsured.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well that begs to question, what's your point then? This thread isn't about insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭creedp

A while ago now, but I failed the test twice in a town with a 52% pass rate, moved to another town (due to work) with a pass rate of 48% and passed the test.

Passing the test had nothing to do with the town, luck or anything else except becoming a competent driver (thanks to an excellent driving instructor)

Taking that view to the nth degree would mean that a competent driver would never have an accident... who knows maybe only incompetent drivers have accidents!!

Driving involves interacting with real people in the real world, be they pedestrians, cyclists or motorists, and that brings an element of luck to the equation. One day everybody acts properly and your driving test is a dream come true. Another day some job ****e runs across the road in front of you or a car cuts you off on a roundabout, etc, etc. One day you pass and the next day you fail such is life. And that's before we take into account the vast inconsistencies found among individual testers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

creedp wrote: »
    Taking that view to the nth degree would mean that a competent driver would never have an accident... who knows maybe only incompetent drivers have accidents!!

Driving involves interacting with real people in the real world, be they pedestrians, cyclists or motorists, and that brings an element of luck to the equation. One day everybody acts properly and your driving test is a dream come true. Another day some job ****e runs across the road in front of you or a car cuts you off on a roundabout, etc, etc. One day you pass and the next day you fail such is life. And that's before we take into account the vast inconsistencies found among individual testers.

So when someone passes the test it is just because they were lucky, not because they have demonstrated their driving skills during the test?

Being able to react properly to people running across the road or cutting you off on a roundabout is part of that skill set.

Is bad luck the reason so many people fail the theory test too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's easier to blame another road user for your failure than admit maybe you aren't up to the required standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Have a read of this article from 2011 and tell me who is in the right.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/motorist-who-failed-10-driving-tests-loses-appeal-1.602561

Well that begs to question, what's your point then? This thread isn't about insurance.

If so many people are driving without insurance, then why be surprised that many are driving without having even done a test.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Rechuchote wrote: »
    If so many people are driving without insurance, then why be surprised that many are driving without having even done a test.

They are 2 different issues. Let's add a third, why do so many disqualified people still drive. Need a 4th, the abundance of untaxed cars on the road... they don't make any difference to someone driving with a learners permit, who is not adhering to the requirements of one.

And they all add up to the same thing: a totally scofflaw attitude, largely accepted by society.

ehm... whatever so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I saw an 'N' driver over the weekend. He was in the wrong lane turning left. He drove out in front of a garda car and was waved back by the Guard. He then turned onto a main road going down facing the oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road. Was awful lucky there wasn't much coming towards him. He then did a U-turn in the middle of the road and roared off in the opposite direction (thankfully this time on the correct side) spinning the wheels as he did so. I got it all on dash-cam and watched it back later - it would make your toes curl!
    Now if he'd passed his test he'd gone to hell in the interim.

KatyMac wrote: »
    I saw an 'N' driver over the weekend. He was in the wrong lane turning left. He drove out in front of a garda car and was waved back by the Guard. He then turned onto a main road going down facing the oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road. Was awful lucky there wasn't much coming towards him. He then did a U-turn in the middle of the road and roared off in the opposite direction (thankfully this time on the correct side) spinning the wheels as he did so. I got it all on dash-cam and watched it back later - it would make your toes curl!
    Now if he'd passed his test he'd gone to hell in the interim.

Oddly I know of someone on a learner permit and they are displaying N plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,183 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Between that lady on her 11th (or more) and the guy in Cork on 17,should there come a point when authorities step in and say enough is enough? Again driving is not a right or entitlement, it is a privilege or luxury, that's just for those who are actually sitting the test, what about those who are endlessly renewing and not showing up, i look forward to the RSA proposals to stop all of this.

I thought you could only cancel the test twice :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

-Cancel test once- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled. A new date is given after a waiting period.
    -Cancel test twice- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled. A new date is given after a waiting period.
    -Cancel test third time- you forfeit your fee. No reschedule.
    -Reapply for test because it's time to renew your permit and you need proof of a scheduled test. Pay fee again.
    -Cancel test fourth time- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled.
    -Cancel test fifth time- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled.
    -Cancel test sixth time- you forfeit your fee. No reschedule.
    -Reapply for test when it's time for another learner permit and proof of a scheduled test is required. Pay fee again.

Rinse and repeat. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 85,183 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Posy wrote: »
    -Cancel test once- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled. A new date is given after a waiting period.
    -Cancel test twice- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled. A new date is given after a waiting period.
    -Cancel test third time- you forfeit your fee. No reschedule.
    -Reapply for test because it's time to renew your permit and you need proof of a scheduled test. Pay fee again.
    -Cancel test fourth time- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled.
    -Cancel test fifth time- you don't forfeit your fee. Test rescheduled.
    -Cancel test sixth time- you forfeit your fee. No reschedule.
    -Reapply for test when it's time for another learner permit and proof of a scheduled test is required. Pay fee again.

Rinse and repeat. :pac:

:eek: :confused:

Can the RSA not check who does not sit the test within so many years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Well the thing is they are still considered a learner so must be accompanied at all times when driving. (Which I doubt the long termers are.)

So this crackdown should catch them too. Hopefully.

It’s not illegal to not sit the test.

It is illegal to drive unaccompanied unless you pass the test or pass IBT in the case of a bike.

It’s not illegal to not sit the test.

Perhaps it should be.

Perhaps it should be.

There are proposals to force people to sit the test I understand

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

They can just show up with no insurance disc/valid NCT and then the test won't go ahead anyway. Although if you're driving (illegally) for years I don't know why you wouldn't just sit the feckin' test!

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    They can just show up with no insurance disc/valid NCT and then the test won't go ahead anyway. Although if you're driving (illegally) for years I don't know why you wouldn't just sit the feckin' test!

Easier to hop off a bus and show up without a car.

Let's get real and have qualified people driving on our roads.

Or of course let everyone get out of cars and use bikes (which I'd prefer, naturally).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Let's get real and have qualified people driving on our roads.

Or of course let everyone get out of cars and use bikes (which I'd prefer, naturally).

And how would people get qualified to drive without practicing on the roads? The issue here is people driving unaccompanied, which is being cracked down on.

Cars are here to stay. If you want to cycle, go ahead but this is the learning to drive forum.

pablo128 wrote: »
    And how would people get qualified to drive without practicing on the roads? The issue here is people driving unaccompanied, which is being cracked down on.

Cars are here to stay. If you want to cycle, go ahead but this is the learning to drive forum.

People would get qualified (in my ideal world) by taking classes with professionals, and when they finish that first course, practising accompanied by a qualified driver, and then sitting and passing the test at the end of their six-month provisional licence period.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭elperello

People would get qualified (in my ideal world) by taking classes with professionals, and when they finish that first course, practising accompanied by a qualified driver, and then sitting and passing the test at the end of their six-month provisional licence period.

Sounds reasonable to me.
    Most cyclists I know who are old enough to drive do so as well as enjoying their bikes.

E (cyclist and motorist)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,074 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

pablo128 wrote: »

The same way they do in most EU countries .Official driving lessons in official driving schools until you pass the test .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

The RSA don't care. That's €90 in their pocket one way or another.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The RSA don't care. That's €90 in their pocket one way or another.

I sat the car test for €38. how times change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

I sat the car test for €38. how times change

That's nothing, I got my full licence, all categories for £1.00, took perhaps 10 minutes.

• Advertisement

J_R wrote: »
    That's nothing, I got my full licence, all categories for £1.00, took perhaps 10 minutes.

when was that? pre 1964?

Advertisement