Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    In my opinion kerry and Dublin shouldn't receive a penny from the GAA. If those two sides came back to the pack attendances would soar.

Kerry have won one title in ten years? They are not even the second best team or arguably the third. Their days of dominating the championship are over, it will be much harder for them going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Kerry have won one title in ten years? They are not even the second best team or arguably the third. Their days of dominating the championship are over, it will be much harder for them going forward.

Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Long may it continue.

I love seeing that. As a Kerry man I disagree with pretty much everyone when they talk about the dubs. You cant simply split them or make up rules or regulations to stop them and theres no point blindly throwing money at counties with no structure. It's up to the chasing pack to catch up, not bring Dublin back. Get the structures in place and reap the rewards like Dublin are now. Also seeing comments like that will make it all the sweeter when yer eventually caught ;)

Although saying that, I'd rather see ye do the 5 in a row than see Mayo win an all Ireland so if ye beat them in the final again I couldn't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'd rather see ye do the 5 in a row than see Mayo win an all Ireland so if ye beat them in the final again I couldn't complain.

+1

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    +1

:pac:

Guess you're a Galway man with a name and comment like that lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

After this 5 in a row is complete, I hope Dublin supporters start seriously thinking about the future of the sport, take off the sky blue jerseys, and ask how can the competition be made more competitive. Because the way things are going, in 20 years people won't care about gaelic football or the great Dublin team of this era.

What are we to do? Dublin supporters and the Dublin county board aren't making the rules and they're not exactly an immovable object in the way of change. The GAA were never interested in a fair championship or even the fact that spreading Gaelic Games seems to be under threat now. You could make a case that profit maximisation is their only concern and Dublin are a massive help to their cause. They won't penalise them and i'd drop dead if they start chucking money at Carlow and Leitrim.

Make no mistake we're reliant on Dublin reaching a natural end where their culture fades and they stop winning. Hell will freeze over before the GAA act for 'the good of the game'. I say GAA act because bar asking Jim Gavin does he fancy throwing a few games i'm not sure what Dublin are to do.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I love seeing that. As a Kerry man I disagree with pretty much everyone when they talk about the dubs. You cant simply split them or make up rules or regulations to stop them and theres no point blindly throwing money at counties with no structure. It's up to the chasing pack to catch up, not bring Dublin back. Get the structures in place and reap the rewards like Dublin are now. Also seeing comments like that will make it all the sweeter when yer eventually caught ;)

Although saying that, I'd rather see ye do the 5 in a row than see Mayo win an all Ireland so if ye beat them in the final again I couldn't complain.

Kerry certainly won't be catching them anytime soon. They may steam roll Munster and put up a good showing in the league when others are in heavy training but in the later stages of the championship they will struggle. So keep dreaming!

As for Mayo there's little chance of them reaching the AI final. They'll be lucky to make it to the super8s. The league final was the last hurrah for this Mayo team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Would like to see Dublin beaten myself. No dislike of them, wonderful team, play great football and the players and management seem like sound lads also, but as a neutral, the football championship badly badly needs it.

Kerry certainly won't be catching them anytime soon. They may steam roll Munster and put up a good showing in the league when others are in heavy training but in the later stages of the championship they will struggle. So keep dreaming!

As for Mayo there's little chance of them reaching the AI final. They'll be lucky to make it to the super8s. The league final was the last hurrah for this Mayo team.

I never said Kerry would catch them. I dont think they will, certainly not this year and something drastic would have to happen for them to catch up in the next few years so no dreaming going on here.

Dublin will be beaten at some stage though but by who is anyone's guess right now.

corny wrote: »
    What are we to do? Dublin supporters and the Dublin county board aren't making the rules and they're not exactly an immovable object in the way of change. The GAA were never interested in a fair championship or even the fact that spreading Gaelic Games seems to be under threat now. You could make a case that profit maximisation is their only concern and Dublin are a massive help to their cause. They won't penalise them and i'd drop dead if they start chucking money at Carlow and Leitrim.

Make no mistake we're reliant on Dublin reaching a natural end where their culture fades and they stop winning. Hell will freeze over before the GAA act for 'the good of the game'. I say GAA act because bar asking Jim Gavin does he fancy throwing a few games i'm not sure what Dublin are to do.

How exactly are a dominant Dublin a help to the GAA financial cause? Leinster final and semi final attendances have plummeted. The same happened when Kerry dominated in the 70s and 80s. They played on front of a half empty Croker in AI semis because Kerry people were waiting for the final and neutrals felt there was better things to spend their money on.

• Advertisement

I never said Kerry would catch them. I dont think they will, certainly not this year and something drastic would have to happen for them to catch up in the next few years so no dreaming going on here.

Dublin will be beaten at some stage though but by who is anyone's guess right now.

Fair enough. I can't see them beaten for another 3-4 years at least. They simply have the numbers of young players coming through and the structures in place with coaching and the like. Other counties don't have the strength in depth. I can see Dublin winning a 10 in a row tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

How exactly are a dominant Dublin a help to the GAA financial cause? Leinster final and semi final attendances have plummeted. The same happened when Kerry dominated in the 70s and 80s. They played on front of a half empty Croker in AI semis because Kerry people were waiting for the final and neutrals felt there was better things to spend their money on.

They're still the draw and the largest contributors. Attendances are falling countrywide not just in games involving Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭threeball

robbiezero wrote: »
    Would like to see Dublin beaten myself. No dislike of them, wonderful team, play great football and the players and management seem like sound lads also, but as a neutral, the football championship badly badly needs it.

I think that's the worst thing that could happen. The gaa would then turn around and say look I told you everything was fine. Dublin would then head off to do another 4 in a row. If Dublin win the next 3 to 4 then the top brass will be forced to act. Game will be half dead by then but totally dead if Dublin lose this all Ireland.

threeball wrote: »
    I think that's the worst thing that could happen. The gaa would then turn around and say look I told you everything was fine. Dublin would then head off to do another 4 in a row. If Dublin win the next 3 to 4 then the top brass will be forced to act. Game will be half dead by then but totally dead if Dublin lose this all Ireland.

Why would it be totally dead if they lost this year or am ii misreading something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

blanch152 wrote: »
    In the last 84 years, Kerry and Cork have won 83 Munster Championships between them, with Clare winning a solitary one in 1992.

Waterford, Tipperary and Limerick haven't had a hope.

In those 84 years, Cork have only won 25, meaning Kerry have won 69% of the Munster Championships.

In the same period, Dublin have won 36 of the 84 Leinster Championships, only 42%.

Take a more recent period, the era since 1970 when we saw Dublin and Kerry dominate the All-Ireland Championship for the most of a decade. In those 49 years, Dublin have won 28, yet they still lag behind Kerry, who have incredibly won 31 of the 49.

In All-Ireland terms, Kerry have won 16 during that period, to Dublin's 11.

What have Dublin won v Kerry wins in the last 15 years since money was pumped into the capital?
    Asking for a friend

Why would it be totally dead if they lost this year or am ii misreading something?

He means it would be an excuse to do nothing and pretend everything is ok.

A couple of people have said that something needs to be done. What would people like to be done exactly? I don’t see any way to even things out naturally. What can the GAA do in all honesty?

Because the Gaa top brass will then say there was never a problem. Dublin will be amped up at missing out on history and the push will be on to impose their dominance again so it will take another 4 or 5 wins for the Gaa to admit there's an issue and rectify it. If they win the next 2 I think we'll see a change as attendances will be gone to nothing.

He means it would be an excuse to do nothing and pretend everything is ok.

A couple of people have said that something needs to be done. What would people like to be done exactly? I don’t see any way to even things out naturally. What can the GAA do in all honesty?

First step is to address the huge imbalance in funding. There's far more worthy areas at this stage to invest the money. And not just handing over money, investing in expertise and people to grow the games.

Then put together a proper league that keeps teams interested. Curtail the championship to knockout and only allow the top 24 teams in the league in. You have a chance to qualify every year by proving yourself in the league. Then two quick knock out championships. One for the top tier and one for the teams not in the top 24. Everyone should be playing football until early August at least.

First step is to address the huge imbalance in funding. There's far more worthy areas at this stage to invest the money. And not just handing over money, investing in expertise and people to grow the games.

Then put together a proper league that keeps teams interested. Curtail the championship to knockout and only allow the top 24 teams in the league in. You have a chance to qualify every year by proving yourself in the league. Then two quick knock out championships. One for the top tier and one for the teams not in the top 24. Everyone should be playing football until early August at least.
    That’s a variation of what we were saying on the previous page and I agree entirely. Problem is getting it past congress, and the provincial councils will go crazy at the suggestion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's up to the chasing pack to catch up, not bring Dublin back. Get the structures in place and reap the rewards like Dublin are now.

I think that statements like this totally understate just what is really happening.

There are no structures that are ever going to let my county compete on Dublins level, not any more, there is no coaching genius or out of the box idea that is ever going to be able to bridge that gap. Its simply isn't happening, the differences in all the numbers that matter have now passed a critical point.

This isn't the 80's any more, where a good group of players might come together and go on a run, it is 2019 where sports science has negated a lot of the old levellers that once gave smaller counties a chance. Especially now that the moronic super 8's have greatly reduced that chance of Dublin getting caught on the hop at some stage.

Put structures in place and catch up? Just as simple as that yeah? Sure, and when thats done I'll put some structures in place and catch up with Kipchoge in a marathon as well.

• Advertisement

That’s a variation of what we were saying on the previous page and I agree entirely. Problem is getting it past congress, and the provincial councils will go crazy at the suggestion too.

Fine, let them go nuts. They won't have a lot to piss in come 5yrs time. Hurling will be the only cash cow, so that's Ulster and Connaught shagged and Leinster won't survive off the back of 4 or 5 competitive games in the hurling.

They can bury their heads in the sand all they want but like the dinosaurs the clock is ticking. The meteorite is already on course and nothing will stop it bar Dublin losing the all Ireland this year which will give a temporary reprieve for a year or two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Wonder could you have a league type situation for 2 provinces each? Then you'd still be able have the provincial championships...

I think that statements like this totally understate just what is really happening.

There are no structures that are ever going to let my county compete on Dublins level, not any more, there is no coaching genius or out of the box idea that is ever going to be able to bridge that gap. Its simply isn't happening, the differences in all the numbers that matter have now passed a critical point.

This isn't the 80's any more, where a good group of players might come together and go on a run, it is 2019 where sports science has negated a lot of the old levellers that once gave smaller counties a chance. Especially now that the moronic super 8's have greatly reduced that chance of Dublin getting caught on the hop at some stage.

Put structures in place and catch up? Just as simple as that yeah? Sure, and when thats done I'll put some structures in place and catch up with Kipchoge in a marathon as well.

Some counties will never compete at the top, that has to be accepted or they have to be willing to amalgamate. Football can still be great for those counties if they had a meaningful league to play for, a chance to at least make tier 1 all Ireland or win a second tier if not. Playing football into late summer.
    I don't think you can ever have every county competitive unless we move to a draft system which would never happen, although I think teams should be allowed draft 3 or 4 players from strong counties who didn't get picked for their own. Yer man from Kerry playing for roscommon is a perfect example.

The GAA don't care if Dublin win 5 in a row, 10 in a row or 50 in a row. They've made it clear for years now that the GAA needs Dublin to be dominant. They have never made any secret about that and pumped millions into making it happen. It would be sacreligious of them to do anything which undermines Dublin dominance. The GAA hierarchy only care about the next free meal and tickets.

The problem is gaelic football never needed Dublin to be successful. It was a perfectly healthy sport up to about 2010 with huge attendances and significant interest.

The fools running the GAA managed to all but destroy that with their greed for more and more money. They should serve as an example on how not to run a sport.

Wonder could you have a league type situation for 2 provinces each? Then you'd still be able have the provincial championships...

The provincials are the problem. A solution from a time when people travelled on bog roads in an ass and cart or a bike. Fine for the time but things have moved on. A lad can go from Dublin to cork faster than you would have got from Dublin to Navan back in the day.

The very fact you keep playing the neighbours means playing the neighbours is less special. Look at the crowd who came to the mayo roscommon quarter final vs what went to McHale earlier this year. If you meet them in the quarter, semi or final it's amazing. Meet them in round one it's, jaysus not again. No one even watches the draw. It's a total farce.

The GAA don't care if Dublin win 5 in a row, 10 in a row or 50 in a row. They've made it clear for years now that the GAA needs Dublin to be dominant. They have never made any secret about that and pumped millions into making it happen. It would be sacreligious of them to do anything which undermines Dublin dominance. The GAA hierarchy only care about the next free meal and tickets.

The problem is gaelic football never needed Dublin to be successful. It was a perfectly healthy sport up to about 2010 with huge attendances and significant interest.

The fools running the GAA managed to all but destroy that with their greed for more and more money. They should serve as an example on how not to run a sport.

Money talks and they only want a successful dublin because it always meant more money. Now its starting to mean less money thsn ever and its about to get worse. They'll have no choice but change or theyll be handing the keys for Pairc ui Caoimh over to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,261 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Some counties will never compete at the top, that has to be accepted or they have to be willing to amalgamate. Football can still be great for those counties if they had a meaningful league to play for, a chance to at least make tier 1 all Ireland or win a second tier if not. Playing football into late summer.
    I don't think you can ever have every county competitive unless we move to a draft system which would never happen, although I think teams should be allowed draft 3 or 4 players from strong counties who didn't get picked for their own. Yer man from Kerry playing for roscommon is a perfect example.

Fair play to you for mentioning amalgamation. Most of the time people only go on about splitting Dublin. But if that happens amalgamation is the next step.

The draft thing is not a bad idea in theory?
    But will fellas be willing to play for a county they have no connection with?
    Cox plays with the Rossies because his auld fella is from there, and he played for them himself back in the day.

Plus will 'blow ins' be accepted at inter-county level?
    Micko got a fare few ringers playing for Kildare during his time there.
    Including his own young lad.
    That is grand if a team does well with them.
    But how will supporters react if these 'blow ins' are not much better than the lads whose place they are taking?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

The provincials are the problem. A solution from a time when people travelled on bog roads in an ass and cart or a bike. Fine for the time but things have moved on. A lad can go from Dublin to cork faster than you would have got from Dublin to Navan back in the day.

The very fact you keep playing the neighbours means playing the neighbours is less special. Look at the crowd who came to the mayo roscommon quarter final vs what went to McHale earlier this year. If you meet them in the quarter, semi or final it's amazing. Meet them in round one it's, jaysus not again. No one even watches the draw. It's a total farce.

I like the provincial because of the history aspect.

You could have 2 teams of 8 from each province, let's say Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Roscommon, Kerry, Cork, Clare and Limerick.

Top 2 teams from the semis go to semi final. Mini league table for the provinces - top 2 from each province play in a final.

Problem would be - what if a team finished outside the top 2 but won their province, would they be knocked out or go to a semi instead of no.2/loser of other provincial final and also match saturation where teams play too often and teams know each other too well and the buzz is lost.

Maybe promote the league as a development competition to blood new players, have an open draw with 4 or 5 teams in a group. Meaning you'd play new teams every year. Mayo could play Louth with a second string etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Some counties will never compete at the top, that has to be accepted or they have to be willing to amalgamate.

Unfortunately accepting that means accepting that the GAA as people knew it no longer exists.

The entire point of the GAA is club and county, and the dream that your club or county can win it all. My county for example never won a damn thing, but we could have, there was always a genuine possibility that we could do it, and so we persisted.

Put it in black and white that we no longer have that chance, that we aren't even in the competition any more, and there is literally no point in that team existing any longer.

People keep talking about levels, this team on that level etc etc. There were always good teams and bad teams but the differences were never so great as to be insurmountable, teams from lower levels could always step it up in just a few years.

I genuinely feel that a paradigm has shifted in that regard, a monster has been created and the unintended consequence is that a lot of people and a lot of counties are just giving up because they know that the quality gap simply cannot be bridged.

And amalgamation? They might do it, but it won't be my county any longer. By definition it won't be my county any longer, and I won't give two farts about whatever team it is that takes its place.

• Advertisement

Fair play to you for mentioning amalgamation. Most of the time people only go on about splitting Dublin. But if that happens amalgamation is the next step.

The draft thing is not a bad idea in theory?
    But will fellas be willing to play for a county they have no connection with?
    Cox plays with the Rossies because his auld fella is from there, and he played for them himself back in the day.

Plus will 'blow ins' be accepted at inter-county level?
    Micko got a fare few ringers playing for Kildare during his time there.
    Including his own young lad.
    That is grand if a team does well with them.
    But how will supporters react if these 'blow ins' are not much better than the lads whose place they are taking?

I mentioned it two years ago and nearly got ate. There's plenty would make natural bedfellows in my opinion like Sligo and leitrim, laois and offaly. Separate underage to maximise the talent pool and amalgamate at senior.

Counties would have a choice if they wanted to draft players. I'm sure there's dozens of good players in Dublin with a parent from a weaker county who just won't make the Dublin set up. If a county wants them, one or two wouldn't be any harm for either the player or the county.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement