Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

STB. wrote: »
    What I am saying is that Plan A in employing what was largely a defensive strategy didn't work. The Galway team looked like could they up it at any stage in the first half. I actually thought it was an endurance test whereby they were just sitting back waiting for Roscommon to knacker themselves, before flicking the switch. Of coure that didnt happen and Galway found themselves hemmed in with Roscommon playing a game of keep ball, and the clock ticking.

It was only in the 75th min that the penny seemed to drop that they were actually in a game. At no stage did I see any changes or urgency from management to change things. It took 20 minutes to score a point in the second half. And another 15 to score a second. Yes players have a responsibility, but what where the management doing ?

Galway in my mind have been a top 4 team, but that performance today was Division 4 stuff.

Connacht is always unpredictable though and anything can happen and invariably does. Perhaps it is just a glitch.

You might have a point and like i say i'm not an apologist for Walsh. All i'd say is that would be a secondary criticism for me if i was a Galway supporter. My first objection would be against the players not trying and the others with their heads up their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mickey1979

RMAOK wrote: »
    The most difficult substitution to fathom imo was bringing on Molloy with 4 minutes gone in injury time. He should have been on long before it if he was fit to come on at all.

Sean Kelly looked like he had strapping on his leg ( was he 100% fit?) yet he was the first man on. :confused:

Galway set up did not bother me so much as game management, utterly clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭threeball

corny wrote: »
    You might have a point and like i say i'm not an apologist for Walsh. All i'd say is that would be a secondary criticism for me if i was a Galway supporter. My first objection would be against the players not trying and the others with their heads up their arses.

How does a team that's been coached to plan one way for 5yrs flick a switch and suddenly go he'll for leather and all out attack? Read the Galway thread. We've been complaining about how lethargic and slow our transition play is for 3 years. We were going mental after the Kerry game last year and we won that one. This didn't happen today. Its been the form for 3years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Horrible horrible game. Connacht really is utter trash. To think the Ulster winners is as worth as much as that today....

Fermanagh played more difficult teams this year than Roscommon will for another month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Horrible horrible game. Connacht really is utter trash. To think the Ulster winners is as worth as much as that today....

Fermanagh played more difficult teams this year than Roscommon will for another month.
    I don't think anyone in Roscommon gives a fiddlers this evening
    Finals are there to be won

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And Kerry forever yadda yadda...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭patmac

Fermanagh lol the most negative team apart from Galway, Gerry Adams your in denial as per usual.

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Championship v Dublin
    1 Galway havent beaten Dublin since 1920s in championship.
    2 Mayo have 2 victories and 1 draw ever over Dublin in championship eg 2005 and 2012. While the rest of Connacht have never beaten Dublin in championship.

Mayo have 4 draws v Dublin in championship. 1955, 1985 & 2015 (SFs), plus 2016 final 1st game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

What are you talking about?

Poor game today, admittedly, but that was down to tactics and there was some fantastic score taking from both sides. Roscommon have beaten both Mayo and Galway this year. To suggest that they've had anything like an easy ride is just daft.

If Connacht is trash, why are 3 out of the top 9 or 10 counties in the country from there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Congratulations to Roscommon earned the win the hard and once got their noses in front Galway weren't allowed back into. A very dominating 2nd half making them good value for the margin of victory. The win all the more impressive when you consider three key players Devaney Enda Smith and Cathal Cregg was lost to injury.

As for Galway good first half but faded badly 2nd half they have 3 weeks to pick up the pieces now and are still capable of reaching the last 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Mayo have 4 draws v Dublin in championship. 1955, 1985 & 2015 (SFs), plus 2016 final 1st game.

Thats right I forgot about that. So Mayo have 2 wins and 4 draws v Dublin. That means Mayo have best record v Dubs in Connacht, Galway have 2 victories and the last win was in 1920s. Mayos record is better then any team in Ulster v Dubs..And Mayos record is better then Cork. Cork have 3 victories and 2 draws v Dublin in the championship ever. So outside leinster and after kerry Mayo have the best record v Dubs in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Pure nonsense. Roscommon have beaten two Div one team in their own venues. It was enjoyable competitive game played in difficult conditions

What are you talking about?

Poor game today, admittedly, but that was down to tactics and there was some fantastic score taking from both sides. Roscommon have beaten both Mayo and Galway this year. To suggest that they've had anything like an easy ride is just daft.

If Connacht is trash, why are 3 out of the top 9 or 10 counties in the country from there?

Because the standard of football in the country is ****. Galway beat london by 4 points ffs and now lost to Roscommon without scoring for 30 minutes and you're telling me they're a top team?

There's 1 team in munster, 1 team in leinster and 0 teams in Connacht. Monaghan, Donegal and Tyrone and Cavan are fair quality up North.

You have to remember that this is a Galway team several years into their rebuild...they should be at their peak now and they're still throwing up pure muck like today.

I think roscommon must have went 15-20 minutes without a score today and Galway went 30 minutes without one.

It might have been competitive today but **** me it was awful quality. Galway keeper must have come straight from the u-14's, looks like he was about to **** himself on every kickout. The goal he conceded couldn't have been any easier to save. Look at where the ball went into the goal, right into the centre of the goal, nowhere near the post. He's without doubt one of the worst goalkeepers in the country, no exaggeration on that either.

Shane Walsh is the only top player they have who any team would admire, aside from the injured Comer who's also good.

Even then, Walsh can be fierce inconsistent blasting open shots 20 yards wide of the post.

On to roscommon, they're hard workers who'll give it a go but again that's it. A few of their players can hit nice pointss on their day. Says it all that Conor Cox couldn't get on the Kerry panel while he was a stud out there today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Munster is the poorest province by far. Just Kerry and a bunch of hurling counties who have given up. Its a disgrace the way it's gone down there.

Munster is the poorest province by far. Just Kerry and a bunch of hurling counties who have given up. Its a disgrace the way it's gone down there.

Remember that if we fail to win the 5-in-a-row and oue 4 seemingly pale into insignificance cos Kerry.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i wouldnt say clare have given up just dont have the pick of other competitive
    football counties up the country

it is a fair comment though , tipperary , and limerick have had serious teams over the years and then just disappear of the face of the earth almost over night , the current tipp team have serious potential but hurling will always get in the way there , clare and cork will always have a strong areas to work with but in clare's case we just dont have enough clubs to be really competitive at intercounty

i am not sure where we would stand in terms of clubs in compared to the rest of the country , i think this year we have 20 teams from junior b to senior level that are football clubs , add in maybe another 8 or 9 hurling clubs that are duel but in truth are really hurling clubs

this is why we probably would favor a change to the championship structure to what is being proposed at the moment

i wouldnt say clare have given up just dont have the pick of other competitive
    football counties up the country

it is a fair comment though , tipperary , and limerick have had serious teams over the years and then just disappear of the face of the earth almost over night , the current tipp team have serious potential but hurling will always get in the way there , clare and cork will always have a strong areas to work with but in clare's case we just dont have enough clubs to be really competitive at intercounty

i am not sure where we would stand in terms of clubs in compared to the rest of the country , i think this year we have 20 teams from junior b to senior level that are football clubs , add in maybe another 8 or 9 hurling clubs that are duel but in truth are really hurling clubs

this is why we probably would favor a change to the championship structure to what is being proposed at the moment

Ye could always move back to Connacht. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Thats right I forgot about that. So Mayo have 2 wins and 4 draws v Dublin. That means Mayo have best record v Dubs in Connacht, Galway have 2 victories and the last win was in 1920s. Mayos record is better then any team in Ulster v Dubs..And Mayos record is better then Cork. Cork have 3 victories and 2 draws v Dublin in the championship ever. So outside leinster and after kerry Mayo have the best record v Dubs in the championship.

But the only province that is relevant in relation to this present Dublin team is Ulster.
    If an Ulster team, Donegal, had not beat them in the 2014 semi they would be now most likely going for 7 in a row rather than 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Because the standard of football in the country is ****. Galway beat london by 4 points ffs and now lost to Roscommon without scoring for 30 minutes and you're telling me they're a top team?

There's 1 team in munster, 1 team in leinster and 0 teams in Connacht. Monaghan, Donegal and Tyrone and Cavan are fair quality up North.

You have to remember that this is a Galway team several years into their rebuild...they should be at their peak now and they're still throwing up pure muck like today.

I think roscommon must have went 15-20 minutes without a score today and Galway went 30 minutes without one.

It might have been competitive today but **** me it was awful quality. Galway keeper must have come straight from the u-14's, looks like he was about to **** himself on every kickout. The goal he conceded couldn't have been any easier to save. Look at where the ball went into the goal, right into the centre of the goal, nowhere near the post. He's without doubt one of the worst goalkeepers in the country, no exaggeration on that either.

Shane Walsh is the only top player they have who any team would admire, aside from the injured Comer who's also good.

Even then, Walsh can be fierce inconsistent blasting open shots 20 yards wide of the post.

On to roscommon, they're hard workers who'll give it a go but again that's it. A few of their players can hit nice pointss on their day. Says it all that Conor Cox couldn't get on the Kerry panel while he was a stud out there today.

See, you're making some valid points but then some very harsh ones too. Yes, Galway are a top 4 team, they've proven that in the last couple of years. Just because they were rubbish today doesn't automatically invalidate that.

Lavelle didn't have his best game today (a repeat of the 2017 final v us for him), but to blame him for the goal is bizarre, that was an excellent finish by a very high quality forward.

I agree re Cox, although Kerry are admittedly operating at a slightly higher level than any of the Connacht sides. That said, he managed 21 points during the league and you can't deny he's looked a class act so far.

• Advertisement

charlie14 wrote: »
    But the only province that is relevant in relation to this present Dublin team is Ulster.
    If an Ulster team, Donegal, had not beat them in the 2014 semi they would be now most likely going for 7 in a row rather than 5.

I disagree.

If Dublin had won the AI in 2014 or at least gotten to a final and were not defeated in the fashion we were, we would not have overhauled our approach to the game that has been so effective and unbeaten since that fateful day.

Essentially Donegal caused this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Ye could always move back to Connacht. :)

Connacht is jinxed , i would rather lose the odd 1 all ireland semi final every 50 years against the Dubs then win ten of them and go no further :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,027 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

See, you're making some valid points but then some very harsh ones too. Yes, Galway are a top 4 team, they've proven that in the last couple of years. Just because they were rubbish today doesn't automatically invalidate that.

Lavelle didn't have his best game today (a repeat of the 2017 final v us for him), but to blame him for the goal is bizarre, that was an excellent finish by a very high quality forward.

I agree re Cox, although Kerry are admittedly operating at a slightly higher level than any of the Connacht sides. That said, he managed 21 points during the league and you can't deny he's looked a class act so far.

But are they ?

Since they came back on the scene in their 2016 win over Mayo they have done the following.

Lost an All Ireland QF to Tipp

Lost a Connacht final to Roscommon

Lost an All Ireland QF meekly to Kerry.

Lost to Monaghan at home when a win would have put them the other side of the draw than Dublin and thus a better route to an All Ireland final.

Managed to go from 7 up at HT v Tyrone to lose by 7 when the prize for winning was an NFL final appearance v Kerry.

Lost another Connacht final v Roscommon after being 5 up at HT and only scoring two in the 2nd half, one deep into injury time, at home.

Now of course in all of that they have beaten Kerry and Kildare in a QF, and Donegal in a qualifier, and got to a league final.

But when it comes down to it this Galway team seems to be able to beat Mayo early in the season and do feck all else of worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Total barstooler nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Could Cox end up back with Kerry next year or how does it work?

So Roscommon make history by becoming the first ever team to make it to the quarter final group stages two years in a row.

Lavelle came out and did this feet first dive thing, making himself as small as possible. He needed to come out square and stay as big as possible and use his arms to cover each side of him. He was clearly afraid of the ball hitting his face as the photo of the strike shows.

O'Malley wouldn't have conceded it that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

kippy wrote: »
    Roscommon were well within their rights to engage in time wasting and cynical play. Almost every other county does it and unless the powers that be put more effort into stamping it out, its obviously a tool that any county can use, some with greater effect than others.
    Galway seem to be one of the most over rated counties in the country. They should do better with the players available to them. Walsh has to be under serious pressure.

Agree with this (with the tinge of bias being a proud rossie) For too long Roscommon have been a fine football team with great scoring ability ,poor in midfield and a bit soft through the centre....this is what seperates the winning teams from the rest.
    Today (and Vs Mayo, and to a lesser extent Vs Leitrim) they showed strong football smartness, taking scores when they were on, and some proper backbone when it was needed.

Galway were 5 points up at H/T, if they were as well coached as the disgustingly pile of cheating cynical b*st*rds in the Roscommon team, they would have choked the game there and then, but they didnt.

The real measure of Roscommons match management will be in the Super 8s, bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

If Mayo and Galway go through to the S8, could they end up in the same group as Roscommon?

• Advertisement

Jeju wrote: »
    If Mayo and Galway go through to the S8, could they end up in the same group as Roscommon?

Mayo yes, Galway no.
    Losers of Connacht (Galway) or the team that beats them in round 4 go to the group with the winners of Ulster and Munster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement