Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kevin16w

Ha. I am gonna wait. I called in and it’s there and looks impressive. I have a very busy week this week and will be quite busy next week too so no point collecting. I’ll collect on 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I am exceedingly jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I am exceedingly jealous.

me too. i bought the phev in jan as i was told eNiro wouldn't be available until 2020....and i really had to change my car.

wear it well!

daheff wrote: »
    me too. i bought the phev in jan as i was told eNiro wouldn't be available until 2020....and i really had to change my car.

wear it well!

I got my i3 in October but given the price of the e-Niro I wouldn't have been prepared to buy new anyway. So it works out OK, I'll wait a few years and then either the e-Niro will be available in full spec second hand, or something else will be out that interests me more.

I'll still drool over any e-Niro I see in the wild though.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

I see there is a proposal for the "Introduction of a car scrappage scheme in 2020 to encourage the increased take-up of electric vehicles." in the new eco proposals. That is a bit crap as I'm trading in my 10 year old Diesel for an e-niro now :( It needs a lot of work done so I don't think its possible to hold off and they might not even do it then so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

jmpie wrote: »
    I see there is a proposal for the "Introduction of a car scrappage scheme in 2020 to encourage the increased take-up of electric vehicles." in the new eco proposals. That is a bit crap as I'm trading in my 10 year old Diesel for an e-niro now :( It needs a lot of work done so I don't think its possible to hold off and they might not even do it then so.

Similar position here. Probably can't hold out much longer than January.

So time to go buy a banger diesel and leave it sitting in the back yard for a year?

Although did I not read somewhere that the scrappage scheme would replace the VRT rebate, so it's just government spin?

So time to go buy a banger diesel and leave it sitting in the back yard for a year?

Although did I not read somewhere that the scrappage scheme would replace the VRT rebate, so it's just government spin?

OK, if that's the case then there is not going to be any point in waiting as it would be more or less equal probably.

jmpie wrote: »
    OK, if that's the case then there is not going to be any point in waiting as it would be more or less equal probably.

I'm not 100% sure, read speculation on it somewhere. Sorry to be vague!

I know, but its probably not going to be on top of the other grants, it will be a more visible incentive to the masses I guess that replaces the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You're not far off the mark. The climate action plan says this....

As an alternative to the current grant regime, consider in 2020 a car-scrappage scheme to promote the purchase of electric vehicles

So, they are referring to the €5k grant there, not VRT exemption. Seems a bit pointless to swap a €5k grant with a scrappage scheme of similar value. Is there any benefit or does it have more marketing appeal? Maybe.

They also refer to VRT
    Recalibrate VRT and motor tax for passenger cars to better reflect the emissions impact of individual vehicles

Not sure what exactly that means... maybe reduced VRT for EV's and more VRT for higher polluters.

And of course, all of the climate action plan is just aspirational.... some or none of it might be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

KCross wrote:
    So, they are referring to the €5k grant there, not VRT exemption. Seems a bit pointless to swap a €5k grant with a scrappage scheme of similar value. Is there any benefit or does it have more marketing appeal? Maybe.

A grant would be available to first time buyers but the scrappage only to existing owners of ICE vehicles?

Presumably any vehicle to qualify would have to be taxed and insured.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Scrappage would be applied to an Irish purchase only whereas the VRT exemption is also used for imports, sounds like car industry lobbying being sneaked through

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

A grant would be available to first time buyers but the scrappage only to existing owners of ICE vehicles?

Presumably any vehicle to qualify would have to be taxed and insured.

And NCT'ed

If it's scrappage or VRT exemption then there's no point waiting for a government scrappage for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If I’ve got the car set to charge at home during the cheaper night rate, is there an easy way to override that if needed? When originally looking at the Kona, I noticed it has a button by the charge port to charge immediately, but the Niro has nothing there. Would I need to go into the settings and turn off that timer when needed or is there an easy alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

JohnC. wrote: »
    If I’ve got the car set to charge at home during the cheaper night rate, is there an easy way to override that if needed? When originally looking at the Kona, I noticed it has a button by the charge port to charge immediately, but the Niro has nothing there. Would I need to go into the settings and turn off that timer when needed or is there an easy alternative?

They all have a timer override button which starts the charge immediately just for that session. In the Niro its inside the car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Ready and waiting... Just needs PDI and ceramic coat. :D

IMG-20190619-135542-1.jpg

IMG-20190619-135534-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I thought that coating thing was a bit scammy if its the same as what I got? I can't remember the name but it came with a little case of different cleaning things.. I'm not convinced they did anything though!

tk123 wrote: »
    I thought that coating thing was a bit scammy if its the same as what I got? I can't remember the name but it came with a little case of different cleaning things.. I'm not convinced they did anything though!

I got the dealer to throw it in. He said it was €400 to get it done normally. We'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I got the dealer to throw it in. He said it was €400 to get it done normally. We'll see how it goes.

Nice one ;) - I'd never bought a new car before when I got mine and didn't bargain with them at all! I've to take hybrid Niro in as the main relay has been recalled.. so will talk to them then about the e-Niro - 201-D-TK123 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,452 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They are a nice looking car in the flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kevin16w

I went with the red. It’s very striking in the flesh. Really like the look. Although some might say a bit flash.

kevin16w wrote: »
    I went with the red. It’s very striking in the flesh. Really like the look. Although some might say a bit flash.

Looks lovely in that colour. The flat red can look a bit harsh, but that metallic red is really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

I cancelled my order. The Irish spec is even worse than the UK one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

kuro68k wrote: »
    I cancelled my order. The Irish spec is even worse than the UK one.

Kinda seemed like you were looking for an excuse to cancel all along, what was the missing feature that finalised your decision?

kevin16w wrote: »

Wow that looks brilliant! best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

liamog wrote: »
    Kinda seemed like you were looking for an excuse to cancel all along, what was the missing feature that finalised your decision?

I have a UK order that I'll take up. It's a long story, not just the spec, although in the end it's kind of "why spend more time figuring out what else is missing, and then pay more anyway?"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Will you not end up with VAT and VRT (assume it breaches €5k exemption) bill from UK import, plus you miss out on SEAI grant?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Will you not end up with VAT and VRT (assume it breaches €5k exemption) bill from UK import, plus you miss out on SEAI grant?

Also MPH on the dash. That bugs me no end and ultimately stopped me from buying a UK Ioniq. in favour of a slightly lower spec Irish one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Can any of the Irish buyers shed any light on the payment options?

Advertisement