Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

abff wrote: »
    If you genuinely believe what you're saying, then you have a very narrow definition of what matters. If we were to follow your opinion to its logical conclusion, there should just be four golf tournaments a year, because nothing else matters.

If it's just a wind up, it's not a particularly good one.

Tbf I think the majors are all that matters to the top guys. Tiger and Brooks have been pretty clear about that, Rory pretty much too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

GreeBo wrote: »
    Tbf I think the majors are all that matters to the top guys. Tiger and Brooks have been pretty clear about that, Rory pretty much too.

I don't know about that. These guys are competitive animals.... they want to win everything they enter and hate losing.
    I think it may have been Paul O'Connell or one of the rugby lads who would sulk if they lost a "friendly" game of table tennis against a team mate. These guys live to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

mfceiling wrote: »
    GreeBo wrote: »

I don't know about that. These guys are competitive animals.... they want to win everything they enter and hate losing.
    I think it may have been Paul O'Connell or one of the rugby lads who would sulk if they lost a "friendly" game of table tennis against a team mate. These guys live to win.

i would have agreed with you 20 years ago or when a nobody is on top.

but modern Top pros are so rich now . That edge is gone in the game. The are making as much or more away from golf course.

Yes they try win, but not that same edge.

I think it is a real risk to sport.

Brooks had the balls to come out and say what i have expected for a while.

I know he is overselling it for a bit of attention.
    But he is basically saying he only trying in majors.

hopefully tonight has a professional edge as a great final group.

If they are smiling, talking , laughing. A bit of a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

i would have agreed with you 20 years ago or when a nobody is on top.

but modern Top pros are so rich now . That edge is gone in the game. The are making as much or more away from golf course.

Yes they try win, but not that same edge.

I think it is a real risk to sport.

Brooks had the balls to come out and say what i have expected for a while.

I know he is overselling it for a bit of attention.
    But he is basically saying he only trying in majors.

hopefully tonight has a professional edge as a great final group.

If they are smiling, talking , laughing. A bit of a joke.
    I agree 100% same goes for football

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭abff

Funny old game. On the par 5 3rd, Brooks is 9' 3" from the hole in 3, Rory 3' 9". Brooks sinks his putt and then Rory misses. Potential two shot lead down to zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

abff wrote:
    Funny old game. On the par 5 3rd, Brooks is 9' 3" from the hole in 3, Rory 3' 9". Brooks sinks his putt and then Rory misses. Potential two shot lead down to zero.

Nothing strange with Rory missing short putts under pressure. Koepka intimidating him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

TCM wrote: »
    Nothing strange with Rory missing short putts under pressure. Koepka intimidating him.

Is it that though or just a poor putter?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Well his putter would want to get hot again fair soon as Koepka is rattling them in now.

Didn’t play badly at all on that front nine. Longest putt held was 4foot 10”. Needs to get it closer on the back to give him better chances

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Not gonna happen today, lucky to be dry there. Brooks piling it on and no response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Get that man a caddy. The difference watching Bo last week and Harry this week is night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rory never got going today

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

fullstop wrote: »
    Get that man a caddy.

Why though? Have you seen his last 17 rounds worldwide stats? His short game is just shocking today, that’s not his caddies fault surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

A unfortunately predictable Sunday from Rory when he's face to face a with a tough competitor. Disappointing.
    You'd have to wonder will he ever find the right setup so these types of big occasions don't intimidate him

A unfortunately predictable Sunday from Rory when he's face to face a with a tough competitor. Disappointing.
    You'd have to wonder will he ever find the right setup so these types of biggest occasions don't intimidate him

They shouldn’t but it’s all too common now that he clearly does get rattled by them

Keano wrote: »
    Why though? Have you seen his last 17 rounds worldwide stats? His short game is just shocking today, that’s not his caddies fault surely?

I have yeah, but it’s the rounds where there’s the most pressure/tension that you need a strong caddy. You need someone to give you a kick up the hole when it’s going like it is today, and Harry doesn’t seem to be that person.

I have yeah, but it’s the rounds where there’s the most pressure/tension that you need a strong caddy. You need someone to give you a kick up the hole when it’s going like it is today, and Harry doesn’t seem to be that person.

Blaming Harry is such an easy out. Rory is the one missing those putts that matter. Same stuff was flung about when JP was on the bag and now it’s Harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

They shouldn’t but it’s all too common now that he clearly does get rattled by them
    Yup said it himself last week about Portrush. That was the biggest 1st round of a golf tournament he will ever have and he was shaking at the tee and the occasion was too much for him.
    Hopefully he finds what he needs, sports psychologist, caddy or something

Blaming Harry is such an easy out. Rory is the one missing those putts that matter. Same stuff was flung about when JP was on the bag and now it’s Harry.

I’d be fairly confident that’s the first time I’ve blamed either caddy, but the difference Bo has made to lowry’s game this year is like night and day. It’s a massive help to have a good caddy, look at Tiger when he fired Fluff even though things were hunky dory on the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Yup said it himself last week about Portrush. That was the biggest 1st round of a golf tournament he will ever have and he was shaking at the tee and the occasion was too much for him.
    Hopefully he finds what he needs, sports psychologist, caddy or something
    Has he developed the yips.

• Advertisement

I’d be fairly confident that’s the first time I’ve blamed either caddy, but the difference Bo has made to lowry’s game this year is like night and day. It’s a massive help to have a good caddy, look at Tiger when he fired Fluff even though things were hunky dory on the surface.

Still don’t believe ‘a good caddy’ would make any difference to him. He just blows hot and cold these days and even someone like Bones wouldn’t get his putter firing when he needs it most

irishgeo wrote: »
    Has he developed the yips.

If you think that, you don’t understand the yips.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

He gives the impetus straight back so easily often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

After that Bogey, zero pressure watch him go birdie birdie birdie and finish 2nd now

You can actually see how annoyed and frustrated he is with today’s round. Was playing well and in a great position. Was in a perfect place to put last weeks demons behind him while also showing Koepka he is still the man to beat but it just hasn’t happened today.

It once again shows how hard it is to back up a fantastic round. Happens to players every week on tour. He started well but didn’t get the putts on the first 5 holes and then he felt the pressure that Koepka put on.

Would like to see Rory’s stats on when he is leading going into a final round! Don’t think it’s great.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rory doesnt want a caddy. Rory wants a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Class act by Brooks. I like him I genuinely do and I'm happy when he wins.

Rory the only player in the top 10 to shoot over par. Hes had a great season but didnt happen for him today I genuinely think having his mate who is no doubt a yes man on his bag is not a good thing in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Class act by Brooks. I like him I genuinely do and I'm happy when he wins.

Rory the only player in the top 10 to shoot over par. Hes had a great season but didnt happen for him today I genuinely think having his mate who is no doubt a yes man on his bag is not a good thing in the long term.

One player in the top 30 shot worse than Mcilroy!

I never get the only 1 2 players in the top x shot over par,

All the others who started inside the top 10 on the day are much worse off after shooting over par, it stands to reason most players who finish in the top 10 shot under par on the last day. it just shows how well he played the other days.

thats not to try excuse his last round, i just find it a odd criticism

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

It didn’t happen today but it’s still a top 5, Koepka could seriously dominate golf now, he’s the complete player

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement