Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did I hear Ray Darcy is jumping up and down looking for a pay cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Cannot understand why Pat Kenny invested in this. What part of 100% capital guarantee or no deal do people not understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pat Kenny of all people, a man who BORED us for years with programmes dedicated to the banking crisis, should know better you'd think :confused:

Because he invested before the banking collapse that nobody had the crystal ball to foresee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

kneemos wrote: »
    Because he invested before the banking collapse that nobody had the crystal ball to foresee.

Anyone would know to have diversified investments. Holding shares in all the Irish banks as well as investing in Irish property is the opposite of diversification.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

What part of 100% capital guarantee or no deal do people not understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did I hear Ray Darcy is jumping up and down looking for a pay cut?

Probably jumping up and down as he wants to be seen behind his desk.

Duffy certainly will not take a major pay cut without throwing his toys out of the pram, he was very bitter about the last one.

Only person I see in there being worth €150K + is Sean O'Rourke.
    John Creedon the best light entertainer, but he's not in the €150K bracket.

But the unions will kick up stink in there, they just care about the gravy train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm happy to pay a small fee for public service broadcasting, I think it's important we have an impartial news media - but I'm not happy paying RTE presenters half a million quid a year. I don't care if they go somewhere else, if I'm paying for "public service broadcasting" I don't want to be paying people who earn that much.

I think RTE needs to be radically downsized. Keep news, current affairs and some local broadcasting, but "light entertainment" and generic music channels should be private sector only. The license fee should be allocated to other broadcasters if they can provide the appropriate content. RTE should be closer to NPR in the U.S. and they should not be competing for advertisers.

If you want an impartial news service it’s not RTÉ you need to look at. I think they often mistake themselves for the government press agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cannot understand why Pat Kenny invested in this. What part of 100% capital guarantee or no deal do people not understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pat Kenny of all people, a man who BORED us for years with programmes dedicated to the banking crisis, should know better you'd think :confused:
    It's really funny that he didn't see it happening to his predecessor Gaybo, not once but twice. How many times does Pat need to see it happening to learn a lesson?

Did these people never take professional investment advice about diversifying your portfolio?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not really, he probably kept hold of his aib shares and has made a good piece back, BOI not so mcuh
    How did he 'make a good piece back' - it's been declining for 15 years;

https://www.investing.com/equities/allied-irish-b-historical-data

Some interesting responses to this post by Ken Foxe, formerly part of the Prime Time Investigates team;

https://twitter.com/kenfoxe/status/1170304958119469056

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Some interesting responses to this post by Ken Foxe, formerly part of the Prime Time Investigates team;

That Ken Foxe guy sounds like an idiot.

Apparently the 100million land sale money is all gone. Like spent. That's reckless imo.

I see that Ray D'arcy's show has had a reduced episode order. RTE are pushing for the Tommy Tiernan show. I don't blame them-he could interview your local postman and have it be a water cooler talking moment.

Ray could interview the Pope and literally break it down to 'my wife thinks you're gorgeous... but there's no God'.
    And that would be the most positive part of the interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/tv/3648084/ray-darcys-saturday-night-show-ending-two-months-early/amp

Mentioned above....Ray show finished early but as they have no other option they will do it again next year

Seriously? Would they not go out and see what young talent is around and pull something together instead of paying huge wages and nobody watch’s

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/tv/3648084/ray-darcys-saturday-night-show-ending-two-months-early/amp

Mentioned above....Ray show finished early but as they have no other option they will do it again next year

Seriously? Would they not go out and see what young talent is around and pull something together instead of paying huge wages and nobody watch’s

The strange thing about this is, it finished early because the GAA put the All Ireland final's into August in 2018 meaning up for the match airs in August now, bring Ray back early, but this year he's not back until this week, back to his normal return.
    Apparently the 100million land sale money is all gone. Like spent. That's reckless imo.

The idea that it was going into capital expenditure, it was used to fill in the financial hole they find themselves in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Elmo wrote: »
    The strange thing about this is, it finished early because the GAA put the All Ireland final's into August in 2018 meaning up for the match airs in August now, bring Ray back early, but this year he's not back until this week, back to his normal return.

The idea that it was going into capital expenditure, it was used to fill in the financial hole they find themselves in.

The best description of RTE is a black hole, no matter how many 100 millions you throw into it the problem will not be resolved.....

All during the Celtic tiger when the going was good they wanted more money, then in recession they still wanted more money, now we are back out but on the cliff looking down and they want more money.....

You could hand them clowns the BBC budget and in 12 months time they would be on looking for.......more money

The best description of RTE is a black hole, no matter how many 100 millions you throw into it the problem will not be resolved.....

All during the Celtic tiger when the going was good they wanted more money, then in recession they still wanted more money, now we are back out but on the cliff looking down and they want more money.....

You could hand them clowns the BBC budget and in 12 months time they would be on looking for.......more money

Over the top but yes, RTÉ need reform. I think the plan next month will be to cut everything except what they should be cutting. As we have seen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fibromyalgia

Why aren't RTE being challenged about the 5-6 million per annum that goes to 2fm ? 2fm have 11 djs on the roster at weekends while all other youth music stations have just 4 or 5 djs on the weekend roaster. 2fm is responsible for about 40% of the deficit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

2fm hiring Greg from Love Island to head the Breakfast show sums up RTE. Women liked Greg because he was a good looking chap, RTE give him a radio show. Classic.

He will be alongside fellow "influencer" Doireann Garrihy. Hired because of her 20k twitter followers RTE tell us. Right , nothing to do with having several family members in RTE?

Shut down 2fm. TV license should be ended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

https://twitter.com/kenfoxe/status/1170304958119469056
    Interesting that Ken Foxe is an ex RTE employee. No wonder he is shilling for them. He should be clear he worked for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭interactive

50k is a little unrealistic now....but you have a bit to go up to the 300-500k most of them is on.....i think a max of 250k....after that off you go....plus they have a maximum amount of people on the 250k....so let’s say they have a certain percentage, which is based on advertising that they can pay in wages....so if they don’t get advertising they fire people....simple as that....tax payer money used for content

For 50k There would be no end of people willing ready and able to play a few record on the radio, read the news.
    Dont like it, off you go, test the free market , see if 98fm or virgin media will pay you more, i seriously doubt it.
    Its not a skilled job, read of the tele prompter, anyone that got the leaving cert can read, its worth no more than 50k

For 50k There would be no end of people willing ready and able to play a few record on the radio, read the news.
    Dont like it, off you go, test the free market , see if 98fm or virgin media will pay you more, i seriously doubt it.
    Its not a skilled job, read of the tele prompter, anyone that got the leaving cert can read, its worth no more than 50k

That's a little reduced.

Also you have to remember the current DG got moving expenses of 50k to move from London to Dublin, though she seemed to commute to Cork every weekend when she lived in London. I really never understood that 50K.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fibromyalgia

Serious question, what has Dee Forbes done since becoming DG ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Why aren't RTE being challenged about the 5-6 million per annum that goes to 2fm ? 2fm have 11 djs on the roster at weekends while all other youth music stations have just 4 or 5 djs on the weekend roaster. 2fm is responsible for about 40% of the deficit

Why haven't they been challenged on the triple dipping yet is a better question. Besides the license fee they get other grants from the Govt and now they have commercials as well. They should have more than enough money in reserves to be self sufficient at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

In most companies Dee Forbes would be first out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The producers are probably on 50k in fairness.
    Not to say they're worth even that. The odd time I come across 2FM I'm slightly amazed that this is actually being broadcast.

I think there is a lot unfair comments about Dee Forbes, not saying she did is doing a good job but a lot of her problems stem from her predecessor Noel Curran

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

RTE is very like the HSE in some ways;

both bloated and heavily unionised
    both are black holes for money
    both have have good people working there
    both are slow to adapt and change

the difference is, we need a public health system...we dont really need RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

RTE is very like the HSE in some ways;

both bloated and heavily unionised
    both are black holes for money
    both have have good people working there
    both are slow to adapt and change

the difference is, we need a public health system...we dont really need RTE

And like RTE, the unionised workers aren't the big problem the unions look after their members not the tax payer. Ryan Tubridy and Lottie Ryan didn't get in because of a union, but both set for life.
    Unlike RTE the HSE has a use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Serious question, what has Dee Forbes done since becoming DG ?

Whinged.
    Passed the buck.
    Sat beside the taoiseach in dwts.

Errr...

retalivity wrote: »
    Whinged.
    Passed the buck.
    Sat beside the taoiseach in dwts.

Errr...

one RTÉ ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Scrap 2FM and it will not be missed. Useless station playing useless music with useless cocky DJs.

Advertisement